JG13_opcode

FW 190D-9 thermostat

I see a few comments being made about how the thermostat on the Dora needs to be opened to 100% otherwise you "aren't competitive" at high altitude.

Can anyone comment on what exactly this thermostat does and how it affects high-altitude performance?  I'm not super familiar with the Jumo.

• Upvote 1

Also, any way to know what level is the thermostat set at (any dials?) other than the technochat?

A deeper explanation would be nice. I haven't really run into any issues with it but I would also love to learn more about it.

2 hours ago, JG13_opcode said:

I see a few comments being made about how the thermostat on the Dora needs to be opened to 100% otherwise you "aren't competitive" at high altitude.

Can anyone comment on what exactly this thermostat does and how it affects high-altitude performance?  I'm not super familiar with the Jumo.

We were just talking about that during our flight tonight lol...but yes I need the info as well

3 hours ago, JG13_opcode said:

You can't "open" the thermostat - you just tell it at which temperature you want your coolat to be held at. It will then control the cowl-flaps automatically and autonomously.

You have a temp gauges right below the thermostat crank, center of the lower panel. Left dial is water, right is oil. 100% (standard) setting sets the thermostat to 100°C water temp, 0% should set it to 70°C or less, didn't test it. With standard setting, you can see that the radiator opens up as soon as water temp hits 100°C, and closes again when temp has dropped a bit.

Critical pressure for the system is 1.7atü, so it should permit 120° at altitude and 130° at sea level without steam buildup. Oddly enough the water temp warning appears at lower temps, but I haven't seen anything problematic resulting from flying with it on for ages. I see no benefit in reducing the thermostat setting from the standard 100%. So don't mess with it, as with most German planes, the engineers have done the technical stuff for the pilot, so you can focus on flying and fighting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For what I could test when the plane was released, at some altitudes it gave better results to have a lower water temperature limit, apparently the oil gets too hot and the engine loses some power.

On 3/18/2019 at 8:37 PM, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

The radiator is automatic, and with the control input you are changing which water temperature the radiator will regulate, with lower being hotter. For example at 0% the shutters will mantain a water temperature of 100ºC, with 30% they will mantain 90ºC. Since both water and oil radiators are in the cowling the shutters affect both temperatures (but it's only regulated by water temp).

At low altitudes with 0% you are set up. But at medium /high altitudes when the engine can't give full manifold pressure (before the second speed kicks in at 3000 meters, and above 6K above second speed critical altitude), it is better to have it set to around 35%, this makes the oil temp at around 120ºC (with 0% it climbs to 130ºC), and looks like the engine is more efficient and the plane goes faster (using 35% while the engine gives full manifold pressure gives a speed penalization though, maybe the drag of the shutters counters the higher engine efficiency).

21 hours ago, JtD said:

Oddly enough the water temp warning appears at lower temps, but I haven't seen anything problematic resulting from flying with it on for ages.

Just like ju52, cold won't cause any problem, I think it means devs didn't model cold engine problem on some new plane.

13 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

at some altitudes it gave better results to have a lower water temperature limit,

so we need to reduce it when see high oil temp?