pa4tim

Manual engine control questions

Is there some info about how manual engine controls are implemented per plane or in general because it is a bit confusing for me. I have a small (paper) notebook that I place on a stand next to my (modded) keyboard that has labels per function on the keys and is mounted on an angle as a sort of dashboard behind my joystick/hotas board. Per plane I have a list of things I want to know and look up while flying, like max rpm/ATA/time and  what keys are used for things like mixture or the tail-wheel, supercharger type etc. Not how to start/take off etc, but pure, for most, engine related and some other practical things. (does it have airbrakes, where to find the flap indicator, take off and landing speeds)

I know very well  how combustion engines work (motorbikes and cars and steam 😁 ) but the use of the control bindings is a bit not-so-clear. Probably I am not familiair enough with the terms used in aviation.

There is some useful info in the "plane info tab" in the game but often not how to it is implemented or how to use it in practice (= what keys to push). 

F.I: I found that the function : automatic mixture and supercharger control nothing has to do with superchargers and mixers,  but is used for automatic prop RPM and for most planes also engine control assist.  And it seems to overrule the historical facts (automation of functions that are in the real planes only manual) At first nothing manual seemed to work until I found out this key over rules almost all manual controls. 

Oil radiators and water radiators have 1 combined auto/manual key that automates all radiators. But there are also separate keys for toggling between auto/manual oil or auto/manual water radiator shutters but upto now I have not found a plane that uses those. (I only checked all Germans and a handful others) So I probably are overlooking things.

Sometimes I need to use input cowls, sometimes output, sometimes the shutters sometimes all. This is probably historical correct but it seems that the only way to find out how it is implemented , in the game, is trying all keys/combinations per plane at all kind of throttle positions or look in the cockpit and outside the plane to see what things move or wait for reaction on a meter-movement. I think I am probably not the only one that wants to fly manual so I guess there must be some info (hidden) about this somewhere. 

Also how is the amount of adjustment for functions implemented ? Probably  0-100% is the amount of the function as implemented in the real plane. But where do I find that ratio, and find things like the direction and ratio ( is 0% the absolute zero and the engine stops, 50% average and 100% to much, or is 0% (still safe) lean, 70% average and 100% only for cold-start rich on the deck. Or is 0% so lean you can get serious knocking/pinging and blow up your engine in a flash. Is 100% pitch a big or a small pitch etc etc (Now I think of it, I have not yet tried if the engine can produce malfunction sounds and how it blows ups, great,  I know what I am going to do this weekend 😎 )

Also the info is in the game. Open the map during flight, the info section has a tab for aircraft specs. Scroll towards the end and read the technical notes.

I  know, I wrote that in my start post 😉 

I am looking for the implementation of a function and then something like: plane A has function B that is controlled with the control input entry C, D and E from the key-mapping menu (I do not care about the letter they used by default because I have my own mapping)  

for instance:  

Plane A has  water injection, activated by pressing a key binded to the boost function under the condition the throttle is at 100% (or above a certain RPM  and ATA) 

Or plane A has manual RPM control, you first use automatic mixture and supercharger control  to switch to manual and then propellor RPM control to increase or decrease RPM.

Not what key is binded to boost or RPM  by default, not plane A can use boost or manual RPM. I would like to know what "functions/commands" in the key-mapping menu I must use under what condition and in what order to let the plane do some function

6 hours ago, pa4tim said:

I  know, I wrote that in my start post 

Sorry... speed-reading at its finest... 😳

I think what a lot of people do is look up operational procedures for the real airplane and use that as a starting point. Requiems tutorial videos are also a great place to start if you are learning a new aircraft 

Posted (edited)

I have a much simpler approach to that. 

Since real deal is different from this I take a testflight with a new plane. With tech chat on. 

I note down the limits in every 1000 m altitude

biost, rpm ata 

then switch off tech chat witch is a real immersion killer and make a few flights just following the temperature of oil and water. 

I fly mostly bombers so I attempt to get as fast I can at 5K with as little radiator I can  

Edited by LuseKofte

Thanks for the effort but that is not what I want/need. I can not better explain what I am looking for.  But you are close.

I know the procedures but not how to translate it to control functions in the key settings menu. 

It is like this in the extreme (but was a real life situation): I give you my car-key (LandRover 101FC) but I do not tell you this key only switches the main battery relais and you need to push the button labeled oil to start. (the switch was mounted in a hole that used to hold the oil lamp) And you need to use low gear lever to switch the overdrive.  And in real it was even worse, there was also a very big switch behind my chair you needed to switch on.

I started diving into this because I was/am fighting with the controls of TC because I want to operate every possibility the tank has. I found here on the forum that you can rotate some periscopes. Turns out a periscope uses the visor controls. (to make it harder, the effect is different per periscope) It should be possible to repair a tank but I can not find a single function in the key setting menu for it.  It is probably introduced in some update or people found it by accident.

There are functions that are not used in any of my planes, but I assume I do it wrong because it is there so it must do something. There are functions that do completely not what the name suggests. There is no real game manual. The info is scattered over the forum and on sites from forum members. Some outdated, some not etc. But I will stop complaining about manuals because nobody else seems to want/need one. Probably me included  somewhere in the future. Because then it looks like I am not happy with this game and that is not the case. I think it is a pitte there is no manual but that does not spoil my fun. (On the other hand, with a good manual it could be even more fun).