LF_Gallahad

So who is getting the new 3000 Ryzen series?

Amazon Canada dropped the 3600X down to $230. (That' about $175 US) That's a pretty good deal.

3 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Amazon Canada dropped the 3600X down to $230. (That' about $175 US) That's a pretty good deal.

WOW.... thats a really good price, in the UK a 3600X is £211 on Amazon.

3 minutes ago, w00dy said:

WOW.... thats a really good price, in the UK a 3600X is £211 on Amazon.

There are some solid deals on Ryzen on Amazon Canada. Nothing with Intel so far.

2600X - $145

2700 - $160

2700X - $190

Now I'm watching videos comparing Ryzen performance. :biggrin:

S!

Nice deals you got there. Guru3D is also a good place to read about hardware. No favoring of any brand, just testing and data. Can´t wait to get my 3950X...

15 minutes ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

Can´t wait to get my 3950X...

Slight change unless you will use more than 24 threads. BTW, awesome rig!

• Like 1

Hmm, 3800x for 389CAD . . . argh will it be cheaper tomorrow? Decisions decisions

Edit: bought it LOL

Edited by pfrances
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, pfrances said:

Hmm, 3800x for 389CAD . . . argh will it be cheaper tomorrow? Decisions decisions

I was watching some comparison videos and in several games the difference between the 3600x, 3700X, and 3900X was small to indistinguishable. I don't know what it would be like in BOX. I have limited cash, so I would go for the $230 3600x. I might even get it and let it sit on the shelf until I can affords the rest of the parts for a new rig.

But you're right: decisions decisions. I mean, is it better to get a 2700 and an MB dirt freaking cheap and then spend the savings on a better video card?

But all this nerd shopping might be the fun of it. :biggrin:

It depends on which graphics card you was planing to getting in the first place and what you would get with the extra money you saved?

So what was you planing to get?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

But you're right: decisions decisions. I mean, is it better to get a 2700 and an MB dirt freaking cheap and then spend the savings on a better video card?

It isn't, unless you're upgrading from a very slow CPU. The difference between the 2700 and 3600X is very large, especially in the vital single thread performance. Thanks to the improvements from Zen 2, I wouldn't recommend Zen or Zen+ CPUs for gaming beyond very low budget systems.

Also, you can get fairly inexpensive motherboards that will work very well with the 3600X if you consider B450.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
  • Upvote 1

Well I'm going from a 1700x to a 3800x . . . I expect to notice a difference 😁

8 minutes ago, pfrances said:

Well I'm going from a 1700x to a 3800x . . . I expect to notice a difference 😁

I'm sure you will, I did 😉

10 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

It isn't, unless you're upgrading from a very slow CPU. The difference between the 2700 and 3600X is very large, especially in the vital single thread performance. Thanks to the improvements from Zen 2, I wouldn't recommend Zen or Zen+ CPUs for gaming beyond very low budget systems.

Mitthrawnuruodo is right the IPC jump with Zen 2 is big this generation and has leapfrogged Intel IPC, nevermind old zen CPU's.

Edited by w00dy

54 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

MB dirt freaking cheap

This is suicide!

Cheapers MB doesn't have heatsink over VRMs and will idk a correct word  bottleneck? the CPU, even in a 3600. Don't recommend to do this.

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

the difference between the 3600x, 3700X, and 3900X was small to indistinguishable

The difference between 3600 and 3600x follows same logic above and cost US$50 less.

Check this link, I hope that it help to choose a correct mobo.

Fortunately, my mobo can handle hyper fine 3950X...

Unfortunately, not my wallet :unsure:

1 hour ago, w00dy said:

I'm sure you will, I did 😉

+1

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

This is suicide!

Cheapers MB doesn't have heatsink over VRMs and will idk a correct word  bottleneck? the CPU, even in a 3600. Don't recommend to do this.

You're right, I'm sure. I just voiced it badly. I didn't so much mean a cheap MB in the sense of no quality, but more the idea that a 2700 and a decent MB would be super cheap right now. I figured a 3600X/MB/16 RAM would cost about $600, tax in. A 2700/MB/16 RAM would be about $450.

That said, I don't know a lot about MBs, I go with what the nerds on Youtube say. I like the "Tech Deals" guy, he seems pretty straight forward. I actually built the rig I'm using right now while watching his "how to" video.

As for video cards, it's either the 2060 or 2060 Super. Haven't seen any deals yet. Bummer.

Edit: the shmucks at Amazon raised the price on the 3600X. It's up $40 since a few hours ago. :angry:

Edited by CanadaOne

No feed back back from me since i changed my rig. Don't fly any more, my tir5 seems to be down….😪

Wow, I'm glad I bought my 3800x 2 hours ago. Amazon price has jumped from $396 to 445.

Black Friday sales be crazy!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, pfrances said:

Wow, I'm glad I bought my 3800x 2 hours ago. Amazon price has jumped from $396 to 445.

Black Friday sales be crazy!

Nice! That should be fun.

The prices on CPUs make me nuts. Newegg has an i6-9600K for $280 and an i5-8600K for $400. What da fluck is that about? And Newegg has a Ryzen 1500X at a 30% discount for only $240. What kinda backwards meth are these people smoking?

I guess I'll just keep looking and see if any kind of deal comes back. :angry:

29 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I figured a 3600X/MB/16 RAM would cost about $600, tax in. A 2700/MB/16 RAM would be about $450.

Where are you getting the $150 difference? The CPU is roughly $75 more, but the motherboard and RAM could be the same (third-gen Ryzen is compatible with most motherboards with earlier chipsets, sometimes straight out of the box, otherwise with a BIOS update).

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

Nice! That should be fun.

The prices on CPUs make me nuts. Newegg has an i6-9600K for $280 and an i5-8600K for $400. What da fluck is that about? And Newegg has a Ryzen 1500X at a 30% discount for only $240. What kinda backwards meth are these people smoking?

I guess I'll just keep looking and see if any kind of deal comes back. :angry:

Wait until BF start, you should find better prices!

I would suggest Ryzen 5 3600 + 16GB 3200MHz RAM + good B450 mobo.

• Upvote 1

Guys, just as a bit of a benchmark - my system is a Ryzen 2700 with 32MB of 3200 CL14 RAM, running on MSI Gaming Pro Carbon B450 board.  I am using MSI bios-level Game Boost which gives me about 3.65GHz.   Temps are under 50C with the stock air cooler.   I have a GTX 1080 video card, and with a 60 Hz 1080 p monitor, I never drop below 59-60 fps.  For multiplayer VR with a Reverb, (medium cloud and shadow settings, 82% in Steam VR (Steam's suggested default for my card is 78%) I get around 50 fps on the ground and 80-90 fps at altitude.   I experience ghosting if I'm on the ground and a fast plane does a low, close flyby though.

I'm hoping to upgrade both my video card and CPU but not sure what best balance would be - 3600 + 2080 Ti?   or 3700X and 2080 Super?    I have to upgrade my PSU also for the video card upgrade, as only have a 550W PSU.  I'd like something in the range of 650-850W, gold-rated.

I'm also wondering if I should try overclocking a different way - like picking a single core in Ryzen Master and get try to reach 3.9-4.0 GHz with it, and then set the core affinity for that core when running IL-2?  I don't know much about overclocking.

Thanks for your advice and help!   

7 minutes ago, oboe said:

Guys, just as a bit of a benchmark - my system is a Ryzen 2700 with 32MB of 3200 CL14 RAM, running on MSI Gaming Pro Carbon B450 board.  I am using MSI bios-level Game Boost which gives me about 3.65GHz.   Temps are under 50C with the stock air cooler.   I have a GTX 1080 video card, and with a 60 Hz 1080 p monitor, I never drop below 59-60 fps.  For multiplayer VR with a Reverb, (medium cloud and shadow settings, 82% in Steam VR (Steam's suggested default for my card is 78%) I get around 50 fps on the ground and 80-90 fps at altitude.   I experience ghosting if I'm on the ground and a fast plane does a low, close flyby though.

I'm hoping to upgrade both my video card and CPU but not sure what best balance would be - 3600 + 2080 Ti?   or 3700X and 2080 Super?    I have to upgrade my PSU also for the video card upgrade, as only have a 550W PSU.  I'd like something in the range of 650-850W, gold-rated.

I'm also wondering if I should try overclocking a different way - like picking a single core in Ryzen Master and get try to reach 3.9-4.0 GHz with it, and then set the core affinity for that core when running IL-2?  I don't know much about overclocking.

Thanks for your advice and help!   

All Ryzen 3x00 have almost same single core performance with slight increasing one to others.

IMO, 3600 + 2080 TI* + 750-850W Gold Power Supply are best choice.

*RTX 2080 TI is a really monster g-card, no one compares.

33 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

Where are you getting the $150 difference? The CPU is roughly $75 more, but the motherboard and RAM could be the same (third-gen Ryzen is compatible with most motherboards with earlier chipsets, sometimes straight out of the box, otherwise with a BIOS update).

Rounded it out with the taxes. We pay 15% here. No small thing when you start spending real money. And I think I priced the MB for the 3rd Gen Ryzen a bit higher than an MB for a 2nd Gen. I figured an MB for a 3rd would be (should be?) a bit more than for the 2nd.

I know just enough about computers to be a danger to myself and others. ;)

2 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I figured an MB for a 3rd would be (should be?) a bit more than for the 2nd.

That is what I'm asking about. Most motherboards that work with the 2700 will also work with the 3600X (either right out of the box or with a BIOS update), so the motherboard doesn't have to be more expensive.

• Upvote 2

With my current rig (1700x, 16GB ram, 1080ti) I get respectable frames at altitude, 45-50 fps on the ground for the most part (playing in VR, all visuals maxxed out) It can dip lower if there's lots of activity.

What utterly kills my performance is ships. If I fly down low over a moving ship things start to drag. The last session is Sea Dragons where you attack the fleeing German flotilla drew me down to a slide show. I'm hoping the new CPU will give me a bit of a leg up when there is lots going on.

To anyone who has a 3rd gen, it'd be neat if you could bench bos and test the following;

1. Disabled hyperthreading

2. Low clocked tight timing ram vs higher clock looser timings (ie 3200mhz sub cl14 vs 4000+mhz and >cl16)

5 hours ago, LizLemon said:

To anyone who has a 3rd gen, it'd be neat if you could bench bos and test the following;

1. Disabled hyperthreading

2. Low clocked tight timing ram vs higher clock looser timings (ie 3200mhz sub cl14 vs 4000+mhz and >cl16)

You are better off wit 3200mhz than 4000mhz. 

The deal with third gen Ryzen is that It's "infinity fabric" ( connections between chiplets and memory)  can't handle more than around 1900Mhz depending on silicon. Up to that speed the memory runs at one to one ratio with the infinity fabric.

You push the memory over that speed, the infinity fabric drops to half speed and you get a huge latency penalty. You have to push the memory at over 4500mhz just to make up for the latency lost due to the 2/1 memory to infinity fabric ratio.

Even then the gains are small.

4000Mhz is a bad place to run the memory on Ryzen 3000. 

The sweet spot is between 3200 and the maximum speed your infinity fabric can handle before it drops to half rate. That's between 3600mhz and 3800mhz for most chips.

If you have a 4000Mhz kit drop the speed to 3600-3800 and tighten the timings.

I didn't have a chance to play with it yet and I don't think I'm experienced enough to enough get too much advantage. So I got a 32gb (2x16GB) Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz kit that runs pretty decent timings for 16gb sticks. 16-16-16-36.

Probably when I get some free time over Christmas holidays I'll try to drop the latency and timings.

If not. It runs great as it  is with one click of the mouse. (Enable XMP)

They say Zen3 will fix this Ryzen shortcoming.

Edited by Jaws2002

S!

I have not tried disabling SMT and how it effects IL-2. My memory runs at 3733MHz and Infinity Fabric at 1:1 to that speed. Pretty much the maximum. My latency for memory was around 62ns. In game I get over 100fps at all times, Tank Crew having slightly lower fps than while in a plane. I have not really tweaked anything, but there are some tweaks that could squeeze a bit more out of the system. 1usmus has made the Memory Calculator which gives values for tweaking DDR4. The Stilt has his tweaked memory profiles in BIOS, at least on my ASUS motherboard. But again I do not really see a reason to tinker much if the game runs perfectly fine with high fps.

Back on Amazon looking for deals. The Ryzen prices are the same as yesterday. Some Intel CPUs have gone up in price. Seems kinda weird.

Almost no deals at all on video cards. One single card went from $500 to $450 I think. That's it. I think one AM4 MB is one sale.

But if you're looking for an I7-6700K, Newegg has marked it down from $899 to only $699. I mean, how could anyone resist? :rolleyes:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

Back on Amazon looking for deals. The Ryzen prices are the same as yesterday. Some Intel CPUs have gone up in price. Seems kinda weird.

Almost no deals at all on video cards. One single card went from $500 to $450 I think. That's it. I think one AM4 MB is one sale.

But if you're looking for an I7-6700K, Newegg has marked it down from $899 to only $699. I mean, how could anyone resist? :rolleyes:

No deals in other countries as well.

Ryzen still same price.

All mobo was sold.

I7 6700 isn't a good deal.

"Black Friday: All prices for half of double".

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

No deals in other countries as well.

Ryzen still same price.

All mobo was sold.

I7 6700 isn't a good deal.

"Black Friday: All prices for half of double".

I'm guessing Cyber Monday will suck as well for video cards. Can't see Ryzen going down from where it is either. Still thinking about it.

And I'm sure Intel will be selling old four-core CPUs for between $600 and $1000, so at least there's that.

Intel's 6700k is dead, no more upgrade chances, no I9 possibilites.

With AM4 socket, we can expect that Zen 3  (Ryzen 4xxx) uses same one.

Newegg has the Ryzen 3800x at can $449 down from can $489. good deal.

Picked up a 3700x last week on sale. Still tweaking, but already seeing a healthy bump over my old overclocked i5-4670k.

10 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

You are better off wit 3200mhz than 4000mhz. 

The deal with third gen Ryzen is that It's "infinity fabric" ( connections between chiplets and memory)  can't handle more than around 1900Mhz depending on silicon. Up to that speed the memory runs at one to one ratio with the infinity fabric.

You push the memory over that speed, the infinity fabric drops to half speed and you get a huge latency penalty. You have to push the memory at over 4500mhz just to make up for the latency lost due to the 2/1 memory to infinity fabric ratio.

Even then the gains are small.

4000Mhz is a bad place to run the memory on Ryzen 3000. 

The sweet spot is between 3200 and the maximum speed your infinity fabric can handle before it drops to half rate. That's between 3600mhz and 3800mhz for most chips.

If you have a 4000Mhz kit drop the speed to 3600-3800 and tighten the timings.

I didn't have a chance to play with it yet and I don't think I'm experienced enough to enough get too much advantage. So I got a 32gb (2x16GB) Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz kit that runs pretty decent timings for 16gb sticks. 16-16-16-36.

Probably when I get some free time over Christmas holidays I'll try to drop the latency and timings.

If not. It runs great as it  is with one click of the mouse. (Enable XMP)

They say Zen3 will fix this Ryzen shortcoming.

I know about the memory latching stuff. There are a few games that benefit more from high ram speeds despite the latency hit.

I'm more interested in how this game does with really tight timings at lower ram speeds. Most people focus on frequency with RAM OC'ing but the timings matter a lot in some games.

3 hours ago, LizLemon said:

I know about the memory latching stuff. There are a few games that benefit more from high ram speeds despite the latency hit.

I'm more interested in how this game does with really tight timings at lower ram speeds. Most people focus on frequency with RAM OC'ing but the timings matter a lot in some games.

I had the Ryzen for about ten days and didn't have a chance to play with the memory. 

Took a while to install everything and get used with this annoying Windows 10.  😂

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Like 1

S!

Tested IL-2 with SMT Off on my Ryzen 3900X. Saw no difference at all, as smooth as it was before. Hard to say if FPS changed or not.

I've been watching a ton of videos comparing CPUs, and sometimes the differences are small to unnoticeable. Between the 3600X and the 3700X, and even the 3900X, it's just a few frames sometimes.  3600X - 111fps and 3700X - 112fps, and 3900X - 117fps, that kind of thing. In the same scenarios even a 2600X might hit 90 fps. Obviously it changes between games, sometimes there is a 10%+ bump, but whether the 10%+ is worth $200 , I don't know.

I know flightsims are different beasts, but it would be nice to know where the "cutoff point" is as far as reasonable horsepower goes.

That said, I'd still like to have a 3900X, I just can't afford it. ;)

Is there any kind of consensus about IL2 being CPU or GPU heavy? Or is it even?

S! 

IL-2 is a bit more CPU intensive than GPU. My card is not even breaking sweat, neither does the CPU. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

IL-2 is a bit more CPU intensive than GPU. My card is not even breaking sweat, neither does the CPU. 

Yeah, but look at your specs. ;)

That's a nasty beast you've got there.

Frickin' Amazon. Their Cyber Monday deal on the 2700X is to make it $1 more expensive than yesterday. I should have bought the 3600X on Friday. The deals today suck. And no deals at all on video cards. :angry:

Edited by CanadaOne
  • Upvote 1

S! 

The setup has been able to chew anything I throw at it with ease :) I do not think the 3950X will make a lot of difference, it was more a "because I can" - purchase 😄

On 12/1/2019 at 6:38 AM, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Tested IL-2 with SMT Off on my Ryzen 3900X. Saw no difference at all, as smooth as it was before. Hard to say if FPS changed or not.

I disabled my 1600x SMT I'm getting better performance now.

When playing SQUAD (FPS), I wouldn't play smoothly even at LOW, after disable SMT I'm playing smoothly at EPIC.

I know that Ryzen 3000 series is lot better and have a different approach, also 3900X is a monster.

My 2 cents.