LF_Gallahad

So who is getting the new 3000 Ryzen series?

My 3700x is a fcking beast! It runs this game all full high refresh rate without problem with my 2070super. No stutter and everything is butter smoth. Highly recommend.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Man, this two months will be exciting in the computer hardware world. 

Hearing the rumble caused by the arival of the next gen Threadripper and the Ryzen 3950x, Intel just cut the prices in half for all their upcoming high end CPUs. They are all coming this month.

On the other hand, every AMD leak coming sounds like they have some powerful computing beasts, just waiting to be unleashed next month, and even the Pro line of the Ryzen line, just  announced two days ago, is breaking records.

The latest record was just secured by the non X version of Ryzen 3900, that hit 5.5GHz on all threads!

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-3900-overclock-65w-world-record-unreleased,6371.html

On top of that AMD is going to release new heavily optimized firmware for the new Ryzen family.

This next few months may just be the best time to upgrade, regardless if you want Intel or AMD.

This time around looks like AMD may have both the performance crown and the price per performance crown.

I still have to decide between 3950x and one of the upcoming Threadrippers.

Exciting times.

Edited by Jaws2002

Posted (edited)

IMHO that Ryzen 3900 will be ... backorder for about a year ! 🙂

65W and 12c:24t ... who would have believed that 1 year ago ... surely not Intel ... and any of its users (that includes me) !?

What I would like even more is the (2020upcoming ?) 7nm version of the RTX 2080 Ti !

GPU is so much more important for gaming and even the 3700X will be (nearly) enough to feed that 2080 Ti.

Would not call all this really "Exciting" because it has been 10 years without any company boosting true CPU speed innovation ... being  intel or amd.

There is so much catch up to do and even in 2019 I would think any Intel Core i7 2015 CPU is still OK if combined with any high end Nvidia RTX GPU.

IMHO in fact ... no need to buy a new CPU at all ... yet.

Edited by simfan2015

On 10/4/2019 at 9:33 AM, simfan2015 said:

IMHO that Ryzen 3900 will be ... backorder for about a year ! 🙂

65W and 12c:24t ... who would have believed that 1 year ago ... surely not Intel ... and any of its users (that includes me) !?

What I would like even more is the (2020upcoming ?) 7nm version of the RTX 2080 Ti !

GPU is so much more important for gaming and even the 3700X will be (nearly) enough to feed that 2080 Ti.

Would not call all this really "Exciting" because it has been 10 years without any company boosting true CPU speed innovation ... being  intel or amd.

There is so much catch up to do and even in 2019 I would think any Intel Core i7 2015 CPU is still OK if combined with any high end Nvidia RTX GPU.

IMHO in fact ... no need to buy a new CPU at all ... yet.

My 4790k was giving me a lot of stutters in some intensive CPU games, 4 cores are not enough anymore

I'm saving for the 3700x. So anytime soon now...

@SJ_Butcher I want to ask you at which resolution and refresh rate can 2070 super. I'm considering getting the 2060 super 8gb but I'm suspicious it can hold up to high setings on 1440p@144hz. 

10 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

My 4790k was giving me a lot of stutters in some intensive CPU games, 4 cores are not enough anymore

I've gone from the 4690K as my mobo was giving up the ghost.

overall my frames weren't that bad, but i had oc'd it from 3.5 to 4.2, it was a real trooper.

currenlty running the R5 3600 at stock but may look at oc in future, lovely frames with it, handles multiple calculations without batting an eye

Pete

S!

More good news for AMD Ryzen users. When the 3950X launches this month also a new AGESA code 1.0.0.4 will come with fixes and improvements.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Cyklon said:

I'm saving for the 3700x. So anytime soon now...

@SJ_Butcher I want to ask you at which resolution and refresh rate can 2070 super. I'm considering getting the 2060 super 8gb but I'm suspicious it can hold up to high setings on 1440p@144hz. 

1080p@144hz all full settings, even the 2070super will be bottlenecked some times because the game uses too much CPU, but I think with further game optimizations the load should spread more into the cores leaving more room to use the GPU. I play online from 110-144 fps

Edited by SJ_Butcher
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

1080p@144hz all full settings, even the 2070super will be bottlenecked some times because the game uses too much CPU, but I think with further game optimizations the load should spread more into the cores leaving more room to use the GPU. I play online from 110-144 fps

Well, if thats the case with the 2060/70 and the Il2 BoS performance and the only gain is the ray tracing for slightly bigger price, then I don't see a reason why I shouldn't go full AMD (r7 3700x/x570 elite) and give a chance to the (gigabyte) rx 5700xt. I think AMD deserves a chance as things are standing now. Thanks again for your input, @SJ_Butcher

6 hours ago, Cyklon said:

Well, if thats the case with the 2060/70 and the Il2 BoS performance and the only gain is the ray tracing for slightly bigger price, then I don't see a reason why I shouldn't go full AMD (r7 3700x/x570 elite) and give a chance to the (gigabyte) rx 5700xt. I think AMD deserves a chance as things are standing now. Thanks again for your input, @SJ_Butcher

Sure I think the rx5700 is enough for gaming, I wanted that card but as always AMD came two months late with the card and I was already without PC.... But the rx5700 its a great card and I am sure it will perform great on this game.

• Upvote 1

Imho If you want ray tracing in 2019 then the RTX 2080 Ti is the only True option because of the heavy hit on system resources. But AMD still seems to have a real problem with drivers the last time I checked. AMD does not support CUDA either, thus not only RT. All depends, but indeed for il-2 or DCS nvidia is not necessary afaik. 

@simfan2015 I would lie if I tell you that I need a new machine for anything else rather than gaming and by gaming I mean -I2 BoS 90% of the time haha. I already own a Lenovo Legion y520 laptop and I'm using it with 32'' Samsung HD@60hz TV which is good for games, lets say Apex Legends, GTA V or Minecraft (just as an example) but its far, far from enough with this flight simulator. And If there isn't any real gain with the RTX 2070 Super in terms of higher refresh rate or more fps over the RX 5700 XT for IL2 then I'll go with it. Plus I don't know why, but I want the parts (MoBo, CPU, GPU) to match haha. Just for an example, here you can buy the RTX 2070 Super or for the exact same amount of money you can buy the RX 5700 XT + 16gb ddr4 3200mhz cl16. But even the money aren't the main reason, just a bonus. I would most definitely go with the RTX 2070 Super if somehow Il2 'game engine' have issues with the RX 5700 XT and that's why I'm asking. I hope this make sense.

S! 

A friend just installed to his machine an AMD 5700XT and runs BoX without problems. I did use an AMD Vega 64 before current GPU, had no problems with it either in BoX. So can't go wrong with the 5700XT. Drivers are not an issue anymore, they work fine as well. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

Imho If you want ray tracing in 2019 then the RTX 2080 Ti is the only True option because of the heavy hit on system resources. But AMD still seems to have a real problem with drivers the last time I checked. AMD does not support CUDA either, thus not only RT. All depends, but indeed for il-2 or DCS nvidia is not necessary afaik. 

Wait, what? According to a report AMD drivers are more stable than Nvidia drivers and that's a fact proved by numbers.

Ray tracing is trash, no current hardware can achieve true ray tracing.

AMD can't support cuda because it's a proprietary nvidia tech,  but I don't understand what's the problem they can't support it? Explain me why cuda is important.

5 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

A friend just installed to his machine an AMD 5700XT and runs BoX without problems. I did use an AMD Vega 64 before current GPU, had no problems with it either in BoX. So can't go wrong with the 5700XT. Drivers are not an issue anymore, they work fine as well. 

I basically weighed up whether to get the 5700XT and make use of the Pcie 4.0 or go with the 2060 super.
the super won out in all the main comparison tests, but not by much!
both fantastic cards.

15 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

the 2060 super or the 2070 range all handle Ray tracing very well, you don't  need the 2080 just for ray tracing.

AMD driver issues was one of the reasons I went Nvidia again, they are a pig and the nvidia experience program makes updates a doddle.

S!

I do not use nVidia Experience at all with my card. I prefer setting the settings myself and it is not that hard to do either. Sure nV GE offers easy updating and can "optimize" supported games easily. Friend who bought the 5700XT is happy. It took us less than 10min to get the correct settings for IL-2 over TeamSpeak. AMD drivers are not pig any more than nVidia ones.

The 5700XT is a great card, I switched a few years ago to be fair from amd to nvidia, i used to swear by amd but the drivers got so terrible i switched, i'm sure they're better now but honestly i find the geforce experience program very easy to use.

It is not that I wanted to trash AMD, but AMD driver issues??... That seems to be written all over the internet... AMD drivers reportedly have even more problems than nvidia. Maybe today that is different... Dunno!? That is indeed no proof, may be... Fake News? . Personally I always got nvidia and am quite happy with the drivers but that of course is also no proof of anything :-)

About CUDA... I need it for some scientific software. Not for games. Ray tracing not needing an RTX 2080 ti... Indeed no if you are prepared for a Serious drop in framerate. The next nvidia generation will probably mean tuning on RTX will be a non issue!!!? 

Edited by simfan2015

I've said before that I'm going with the Ryzen 7 3700x but in the last few days I took a deep dive into  benchmarks and reviews and it seems that Ryzen 5 3600 is more than capable for gaming. It's a powerful little CPU and will not bottleneck any of the high end GPUs. And as I can see, many people online have the same dilemma about Ryzen 7 3700x and Ryzen 5 3600. In the end it depends for what you will be using it. If the gaming is your main priority then better go with the Ryzen 5 3600 and spend the extra money on other PC parts. But for multitasking, streaming, rendering, 3d modeling etc. Ryzen 7 3700x is the way to go. But no matter what you choose, you'll have great CPU no doubt. Here are two review videos from Gamers Nexus, Ryzen 7 3700x and Ryzen 5 3600  /  Ryzen 5 3600x vs Ryzen 5 3600

Edited by Cyklon

I bought a 3600X. I'll build my new config next week and will say goodbye to my old 2500k...

• Upvote 1

I bought a 3800X a few weeks ago to replace a 6700K overclocked to 4.7GHz, also upgraded my 32GB of 2400MHz ram to 32GB of 3600MHz cl16 ram.

In VR my frame rates are higher now.