onlyforbrian

What's next for IC Studios?

This thing ain't ever going anywhere fast until the ground war gets sorted.  Even they know that or they wouldn't have diverted into tanks.

9 minutes ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

This thing ain't ever going anywhere fast until the ground war gets sorted.  Even they know that or they wouldn't have diverted into tanks.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Tank Crew a 3rd party title - with a little bit of help from 1C/777? (With only Flying Circus being completely their's as a wait and see how it sells to determine if a second edition?).

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I'll add my educated purely a guess to yours and predict that we don't see another full eastern front release any time in the next decade, and perhaps not ever.

We've already been there 3 times, and there's too much to cover that would bring in more revenue.

I remember that back before Jason took over, and Loft was still running things back in the middle of Moscow we both held the same position.

"I'll pay for one more Eastern Front release, then there'd better be something different or I'm out"  I think a good number of us felt like that.

Well Jason took the reigns, took us to Kuban which was THE right move at that juncture, now here we sit waiting for BobP final.

PTO will take more than one release to do justice, and 3 ETO releases should buy us at least 2 PTO releases I'm HOPING.

Another Eastern Front full release will amount to basically the same result later as it would if it came directly next.

As I said in another thread I'd be surprised to see Normandy as a full release for several reasons, but it could happen.

If we go to Normandy I doubt I'll build another aircraft campaign for it though...after this current build I'll need PTO to get those juices flowing again.

A hedgerow tank campaign...that might be fun...

Anyway, we know Jason is a big PTO fan, we know Han wants to go to Korea.

None of that speaks Italy or Eastern Front to me.

More pure, yet educated, guesses;

I think there is enough expertise, now, to produce a stunning Normandy map and Italy is doable with the Kuban experience behind them. Italy, though, unlike Normandy, would require a whole new set of research and building/object types so it is a much bigger undertaking. Normandy would be easier to follow BoBp for sure and has a TON of name recognition. $$$

Midway (Pearl/Wake/maybe Aleutians) is a good bet to follow. They should have been able to complete their research (or used some frog DNA to get their dinosaurs) to get us some good FM’s and satisfy the rivet counters. I’m willing to bet we get some version of the Solomon’s as chapter two after the blowback on Okinawa. And we probably shelve that original “second” installment completely.

There is enough interest in Bagration or Fall of the Reich to justify its existence and I don’t underestimate the will of the silent Russian partners’ influence over some of the dollars and decisions at hand. There are still a few airframes to fill it out plus a unicorn or two. 

Jason and Han seem to have an excellent relationship and I think Korea gets done for profit potential, technical curiosity, and out of respect for their happy marriage. I’m hoping to see the jet age realized over there and stick with prop-jobs for the remainder of our WWII adventure.

As to another poster suggesting a pure deep dive into the code, it’s not happening and it’s not necessary either. They will never take a full design cycle to do that. It would end the series cold and the whole project would fold. They take periodic dives into the code during every cycle as it is and the game is maturing nicely overall. It’s not as fast as some would like but it is evolution over revolution.

*edit Okinawa not Iwo Jima*

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

1 minute ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

My vote, Battle of France

Maybe but what do you get, scenario-wise, that CloD doesn’t deliver? I wouldn’t expect  BoF unless BoX tackles BoB.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

unless BoX tackles BoB.

I would love to see this, but they’re not going to do it.  

They’re going to do a late war Eastern Front module eventually.  It’s a Russian dev team and there are lots of Russian customers.  They are going to want some uber VVS aircraft.

I’ll betcha a two cheeseburger meal at McDonalds it gets done sooner than Gambit’s decade prediction. But only because I have both a gambling and fast food addiction......

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We get uber VVS aircraft before we get PTO module #3, and probably before PTO #2.

Of course, this assumes that PTO #1 isn’t a slide show disaster that kills the franchise.

Edited by BraveSirRobin
Clarify

The reason I'm hoping for Pacific Theater is because since I've been flying VR in IL2, it's more about the planes than the maps... give me the US and Jap naval warbirds.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Since this game is so cheap I bought all maps/ packs. 

Jasons budget talk made me do it. But I wonder about not to, buying it all means there are no consumer impact on devs choices. 

For me it would have been much easier if devs just said up front if there are a chance we are getting PTO. 

If they work towards that goal, or have abandoned it. 

Korea would be in no way a compansation for PTO for me New Guinea would. 

If NG or PTO is a reality in the future, I buy all they deliver before that

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Like 1

I don’t desire Korea or PTO.. as stated earlier I feel the game is in dire need of  refinements & engine upgrades.

Eventually after that a late war eastern front, Italian or early western front (hurricane) would be fun and more importantly would sell well. 

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure we are going to the PTO at one point though it remains unclear when this will happen. 

I assume there is a lot of work involved to get all the assets for the PTO and my guess is, that this can't be easily achieved in one development cycle. 

I see a possibility, that they are already working on it behind the curtain and while they need much time for this endeavor, we get in the meantime a second Western Europe Scenario to flesh out what we have with Bodenplatte since all the assets are already there. 

Would make much sense and if we get the Pacific after, let's say a Normandy Scenario, I would be totally fine with that. 

Going back to the Eastern Front, as interesting as Bagration or Seelow Hights may be, would be commercial suicide for sure. 

Edited by Blooddawn1942
  • Like 2

I'd love to see the "White Whale" some day too. Until then, honestly, anything WW2 with propellers is the least I could ever wish for regarding flight to date.

Happy about the Tanks, broadens the interest and variety within the IL-2 Great Battles series.

People have different views about what is needed currently  as well, and that's okay.

Like discovering a good coffee ata cafe, good chance customers will come back for more, when that fix calls. In the mean time, I'm quite content being patient and I like a good coffee :).

10小时前,15 [Span。] / JG51Spartan说:

我们需要进行民意调查才能看到社区愿望的真实结果。

我只是厌倦了推测...... :短跑:

pull the page down and you will find poll

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

You don't sell control of the day-to-day development cycle to customers.

If you want a vote on what the developers do, become a major shareholder.

It's a feature of "Agile Development" that feature prioritization is in the hands of the customer, subject of course to what the team considers feasible in terms of technical dependencies etc. it's not like I'm proposing some weird practice here. The difference in this approach is that the "planning poker" exercise involves actual money.

The developers should do what the users need, respecting the interest of the stakeholders (in which the shareholders are included).

If you think about it, it's essentially what's happening when we "pre-order" one of the games.

The idea that "everything is interdependent"... that is a characteristic of spaghetti coding. If you're doing it right, things have its place and role, with some having dependencies. We wouldn't have gotten this far any other way.

I've been developing software too, for the last 30 years. I've seen good and bad.

Edited by J2_Bidu
Completion
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

in the meantime a second Western Europe Scenario to flesh out what we have with Bodenplatte since all the assets are already there. 

Great suggestion ^^

B-17's, (if achievable to date)?, and or X1 new birds for each side, new map/mini campaign to suit, further polishing where possible as a smaller purchasable ad on to an existing theater, (where the current purchased assets can be used historically as well)?. Seems to make sense when assets are already available via a near/or completed theater. Good way of fishing for further interest, re: Map, sortie, or someones favorite plane as a whole but smaller package..

Posted (edited)

The truth is that sooner or later we will run out of german planes. Does it mean end of ostfront expansions because no german planes to add? This is just stupid, bunch of great battles to show are still there, Kursk, Kharkov, Lningrad, Smolensk, Berlin, Courland Pocket, even some early barbarossa. And all this can't exist because no planes to add? This DLC model is killing itself. Are we just gonna switch theatres so we can get this magic 5vs5 planeset? There should be some change in DLC model, 30-40$ expansions with career and map would be nice as well, not everything needs to force full planeset. If there is only 1 plane for each side because all others were done before then why not?

If we are going to keep this 5vs5 and map expansions only, then ostfront is dead because it's already hard to do something in 1942+. I don't want to see "we would like to do this battle but no new planes to add so we have to pass on that"....

Edited by InProgress
  • Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

Go strategic -Day and Night- build out huge factory and refinery complexes complete with secondary explosions and firestorms. Airborne and ground control radar, flak trains

B-17s, B-24s, Lancasters, Halifaxs, HE-177, Me-163s, HE-219, Fw-190 Sturmbocks, Me- 410 B2/U4

Schweinfurt

Ploesti

Hamburg

Berlin

World of possibilities here -I see no reason this game has to stay tactical

:salute:

Skud

Edited by ATAG_SKUD
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Heshima said:

this might be hard but i wouldn't mind seeing a Defense of the Third Reich type expansion/ Daylight bombing from the allies and the Night fighter for the Luftwaffe 

1C would have to write some new code for additional AI routines and simpler but by-the-numbers Flight Models for massive Bomber Formations.

The current game engine can't handle large numbers of Bombers or Fighters.

If 1C were to work on this, it would see the introduction of some much loved AI aircraft to Il-2 Great Battles such as the Lancaster Bomber and the B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator. Plus it would open up some very important and interesting scenarios:

eg. The Battle of Britain

The Defence of Malta

The Bombing of Rome and later Bombers crossing the Alps to attack Southern Germany

The Bombing of the Rhineland

The Daylight Bombing of Berlin by USAF

Night Bombing of Germany with Lancaster's plus Nightfighters such as the Mosquito and Me110

The Tokyo raids by B-29's

"When I saw those Mustang's over Berlin, I knew that the war was lost" - Hermann Goering

I'm sure there even more scenarios than the ones I've just listed.

In my opinion, they should get round to this at some point because it was a big part of the air battles of WW2. But it would need the writing of additional code for massive Bomber formations. It might be a very complex task indeed.

Algy

Edited by Algy-Lacey

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

...ah, in psychological terms, the false consensus bias...

But who knows...

People seem to forget when there was an official developers poll for community desire, prior to any work on Bodenplatte, the winner of the vote was actually Mediterranean theatre, followed in second by Pacific...

The question was which WW2 theatre you would like, AFAIK....oh and, if next expansion is still in WW2 I would like to see PTO....

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Tank Crew a 3rd party title - with a little bit of help from 1C/777? (With only Flying Circus being completely their's as a wait and see how it sells to determine if a second edition?).

I don't think you are wrong but the phrasing is a bit off in my opinion. They are working with a third party to provide the 3D models for the tanks, but all the integration, the modeling of the ballistics and engines is done in-house. They just subcontracted the 3D modeling part for capacity reasons. I would not call TC a "Third party title".

5 hours ago, J2_Bidu said:

It's a feature of "Agile Development" that feature prioritization is in the hands of the customer, subject of course to what the team considers feasible in terms of technical dependencies etc. it's not like I'm proposing some weird practice here. The difference in this approach is that the "planning poker" exercise involves actual money.

This agile stuff is now following me to my favorite forum too? I already have a ScrumBozo following my team around the office, I thought this was a safe space away from him.

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, InProgress said:

The truth is that sooner or later we will run out of german planes. Does it mean end of ostfront expansions because no german planes to add?

I kind-of agree... especially about eastern front 44/45. I can only see a few, Ta 152 (defense of Berlin), Me210 or 410, Arado 234 Blitz? My knowledge of eastern front luftwaffe isn't so good...

However, in my opinion there are still plenty of more unusual german planes that could be added to various different future scenarios.

We haven't seen a Me210 or Me410, there could be a FW-200 Condor for recce / anti shipping / submarine warfare, A fieseler Storch would be very popular and great for sightseeing, A Hienkel He 219 Uhu Night Fighter, A Dornier 17 / 217 Bomber, An Arado Ar 234 Blitz Jet Bomber, A Junkers Ju 188 Bomber and Recce plane... The list goes on.

But for me, the best way to bring new and interesting Axis aircraft into the game is by taking Il-2 Great Battles to Italy... which some of you may have noticed is my current obsession!

1943 Italy / Sicily would give us some excellent new Italian warbirds, as well as a Battlefront for the existing Macchi Mc.202.

For example:

Macchi Mc.205 Veltro

Fiat G.55 Centauro

Reggiane Re.2001 Falco

Cant.Z.501 Gabbiano Flying Boat

Cant Z.1007 Bomber

Savoia-Marchetti S.M.79 Sparviero Torpedo Bomber

20 hours ago, Flashy said:

This. We have been sitting with a ridiculously low object density limit for 10 years now since the first days of RoF, and it heavily restricts what we can do in both games. I understand that they need to make more content to pay the bills every month, but fixing this problem with the engine needs to be moved up to higher priority. I dont know about other mission makers, but I literally spend 90-95% of my time when making missions not on doing research, or designing the mission, or placing objects, but rather on trying to design ways to only spawn objects when there are players near, and hide them when they leave the area. Or on logic to try and "figure out" how many AI have been spawned and prevent others from spawning until those have despawned.  This has a massive cost in time spent trying to implement and then test these systems and the results are still usually not that convincing. I hate to think how many tens of thousands of man hours have been wasted by members of the communities in both RoF and BoX in designing and testing similar systems to try keep the active AI limit below 50 (some server operators on the forums have mentioned numbers as low as 30!) for MP missions. This needs to be sorted out ASAP IMO, even if it means redesigning the way AI objects work from the ground up..

To be fair, what you describe is primarily a multiplayer concern - I have no such issues (within reason) designing single player missions.

Gents I have figured it out! Thank me later.. What we need is this. 

il2: Battle of Hurricanes!

Plane set -

Allied - Hurricane, Hurricane, Hurricane, Hurricane, Hurricane.

Axis - Captured Hurricane, Captured Hurricane, Captured Hurricane, Captured Hurricane, Captured Hurricane.

:P

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

To be fair, what you describe is primarily a multiplayer concern - I have no such issues (within reason) designing single player missions.

I disagree. At the moment Il-2 Great Battles cannot replicate any of the Strategic Bombing campaigns, online or offline. With current Tactical scenarios it isn't an issue, which is probably what you were saying, but I think Flashy's frustration at the 50 plane AI limit is along the same lines as my wish for massive bomber formations.

Regards,

Algy

12 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

I disagree. At the moment Il-2 Great Battles cannot replicate any of the Strategic Bombing campaigns, online or offline. With current Tactical scenarios it isn't an issue, which is probably what you were saying, but I think Flashy's frustration at the 50 plane AI limit is along the same lines as my wish for massive bomber formations.

Regards,

Algy

You’re correct - I’m not talking about large bomber formations etc. 

20 hours ago, Diggun said:

What's really going to dictate the next step is what will most effectively Enhance Shareholder Value. A tricky one. 

For my part, I'd gladly pay for aircraft pack dlc (British pack with lysander, typhoon, hurricane and mosquito for 40 dollars? Or late war Russian stuff? Take my money!), but it seems like the current model will be what we stick with for the foreseeable. 

+1  I would like to see a couple of Aircraft packs as DLC for BoBp

An Allied pack with:

Spitfire Mk.XIVc or low back Spit XIVe, I'd second the Lysander (especially with a few new mission types to deliver spies secret agents into occupied territory and to rescue downed pilots), I'd also second the Hurricane as one of the UK's most used fighter-bombers, Typhoon sounds good but perhaps is too similar to BoBp's Tempest? A couple of Mosquito variants is a must and would sell like hot cakes (B.Mk.IV, FB.Mk.VI) and for the american market: Douglas A-26 Invader (never seen in a flight sim and is like a faster A-20G) and a P-39Q or P-63 Kingcobra.

An Axis pack with:

Me109G-10, Fieseler Storch (equivelant to the Lysander), Focke-Wulf Ta152, Me410, Arado Ar.234 Blitz Jet Bomber... and just because it's badass - Fiat G.55 Centauro (of which some examples flew for the Luftwaffe in the defence of Berlin)

The only problem if 1C went down this route is that future Battles would have aircraft already available as DLC plane packs.

Ok, I know that this is just wishful thinking, but if I had to choose just 2 collector's planes for each side after BoBp, I would choose:

Spitfire Mk.XIVe low back, Mosquito FB.Mk.VI

and

Focke-Wulf Ta152, Fiat G.55 Centauro

If you read through all of this, which IS merely wishful thinking, what would you choose that is different?

Regards,

Algy

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Spitfire Mk.XIVe low back, Mosquito FB.Mk.VI

and

Focke-Wulf Ta152, Fiat G.55 Centauro

2 for each side for BoBP?

Mossie FB VI definitely, and I'm afraid I'd rather go for a Typhoon than a XIVe. Spits' start to look wrong when you stick a Griffon in them! Plus the Typhoon's penchant for unexpected midair disassembly could be great fun!

and...

Ar 234 & maybe a 410 for our Blue brethren?

Edited by Diggun

2 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

This agile stuff is now following me to my favorite forum too? I already have a ScrumBozo following my team around the office, I thought this was a safe space away from him.

I was half practising agile development long before people had coined the term, misunderstood it completely, hyped it up and sold it to managers, and finally force-fed down our throats some mangled nonsensical version of it.

I value the fact that frequent feedback from the users helps protect the adequability of the final result.  For instance, had we as customers had a chance of chosing between more planes or a map earlier in the process, we might have chosen the latter. On the other hand, we have no clear idea of how the relative costs or how this would have impacted the work of the team. Of course, in the case of games, the impact of surprise has value too.

Posted (edited)

I’d do the Fall of the Reich and get the epitome of both German and Allied AC. Leave the Centauro out in favor of La7/Yak9/Il-10/. Late Spit, late Mosqito fill out the allied side.

German side is a little tougher but Do-217 and both the H and C variants of the Ta-152.

If I had the reins I’d do a ‘43-44 Italy with early American marks, mid-war British marks and a slew of Italian jobs. We have the Me-410 and several German AC to recycle on top of that to complete the theater.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Diggun said:

2 for each side for BoBP?

Mossie FB VI definitely, and I'm afraid I'd rather go for a Typhoon than a XIVe. Spits' start to look wrong when you stick a Griffon in them! Plus the Typhoon's penchant for unexpected midair disassembly could be great fun!

and...

Ar 234 & maybe a 410 for our Blue brethren?

I kinda know what you mean about Griffon engined Spitfire's, the high back version, the nose is too low and it doesn't quite look perfect, but for me the low back Mk.XIV with bubble canopy has that nose contour blending into the cockpit area and the low rear fuselage. I love it's looks but it's a matter of taste. For me, I'd include it in collector's planes because it is the pinnacle of a WW2 air superiority fighter. Stupendously fast, still manoueverable and with a great view of your 6.

I think that BoBp is the perfect time to model the Mossie, either B.Mk.IV or FB.Mk.VI. If not now, then when?

• Like 2

My only objection to Griffon-engined Spitfires is that they should have called them something different. They've changed so much that next to nothing of R. J. Mitchell's design remains. 

Seriously though, Typhoons, Griffon Spits, Mosquitos etc are clearly an option for collector aircraft. Bound to sell well. I think an Ar 234 would too, though it's clearly going to be a bit of an issue for multiplayer to have an almost impossible to intercept bomber available. As for the Ta 152, are we talking about the C with the standard wing, or the high-altitude version? Very different beasts.

9 minutes ago, anonymouse said:

Battle of Berlin

Germany                      USSR

Bf-109G-10                   La-7
Fw-190A-9                    Yak-9U
Ta-152H                        Yak-3

Ar-234                            IL-10

He-162A-2                    P-63

I'd buy that

I'd buy it, though the historical accuracy of any 'Battle of Berlin' including that Luftwaffe aircraft set is probably open to question.

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

I'd buy it, though the historical accuracy of any 'Battle of Berlin' including that Luftwaffe aircraft set is probably open to question.

Hm, only questionable ones I see is He 162 and Ar-234. Perhaps add Ta 152C , Me 410 or Ju 188 instead.

Edited by SovietAce

21 minutes ago, SovietAce said:

Hm, only questionable ones I see is He 162 and Ar-234. Perhaps add Ta 152C , Me 410 or Ju 188 instead.

Really the problem with an end-of-war 'Battle of Berlin' scenario is that it can't reasonably reflect the historical reality concerning the logistical difficulties that the Luftwaffe was in, and still be entertaining as a game. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Really the problem with an end-of-war 'Battle of Berlin' scenario is that it can't reasonably reflect the historical reality concerning the logistical difficulties that the Luftwaffe was in, and still be entertaining as a game. 

It can be in single player. Just like war on the west  (strategy game) can be fun to play as german even tho there is no way you can win and you are fighting lost war. 

It would probably require some changes to career mode. Adding things like fuel reserves, ammo, spare parts. You would have to fly carefully not to break your plane because not much parts, your squadron has few planes only, you can't take 100% fuel and fly around because it can simply run out for next missions etc. Not to mention much more harder campaign with no air superiority.

Just because it's harder and more challenging does not make it less entertaining. War on the west is great example.

Edited by InProgress