onlyforbrian

What's next for IC Studios?

Not interested in Korea without a Sikorsky H-5.

Problem with housekeeping dlc is that it would require serious changes to the business model as currently (and correctly imho) housekeeping is backward compatable to owners of all modules. 

What's really going to dictate the next step is what will most effectively Enhance Shareholder Value. A tricky one. 

For my part, I'd gladly pay for aircraft pack dlc (British pack with lysander, typhoon, hurricane and mosquito for 40 dollars? Or late war Russian stuff? Take my money!), but it seems like the current model will be what we stick with for the foreseeable. 

That in mind, and given the difficulty, time, and expense required in sourcing, translating and utilising Japanese sources, I suspect that the Pacific may still be a couple of years off. 

So what would be a) popular in the interim, b) offer something a bit different, and c) include aircraft and assets which will both work with what we already have and also with a projected future excursion out east. 

Mid war med /Italy? 

Late war adriatic / balkans? 

I'm  buying it, whatever. 

• Upvote 1

To go Korea next would be extremely divisive - upsetting a lot of people who are mainly interested in WW2, but especially upsetting to those who really want a WW2 Pacific theater (and were promised it). I think it would create a huge divide and wouldn't be a smart choice next at all.

• Upvote 6

I hoping for late eastern front scenario. Bagration or Berlin would do perfectly.  Also some early scenario like Barbarosa or Smolensk would be great, because Soviet planeset for BoM is currently very poor. If they would wanted to stay in UK, US vs Germany scenario, then Italy would be best option. And If Bagration wouldn´t be made as main expansion, I hope It could make its way in Tank Crew. Because I really wish to drive this machine:  wot_banner_t3485rudy_portal_1920x900_aid

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SovietAce said:

I hoping for late eastern front scenario. Bagration or Berlin would do perfectly.  

Not going to happen.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Not going to happen.

1. How do you know, and 2. why not? (Not provoking, sincere curiosity)

Edited by CrazyDuck

5 minutes ago, CrazyDuck said:

1. How do you know, and 2. why not? (Not provoking, sincere curiosity)

Been discussed at length already.

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

Been discussed at length already.

Ah, ok. Nothing but empty speculations of the crowd come to memory. Must have missed if any serious words on this topic came from the devs. Anyway, I can't say I wouldn't enjoy spanking Doras and alcoholic 109s with Yak-9U!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Not going to happen.

I wouldnt be that sure. There is big request for late Soviet fighters and bombers. Not even mentioning that this expansions probably wouldnt take that much time and resources as PTO and West. 

Edited by SovietAce
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

To go Korea next would be extremely divisive - upsetting a lot of people who are mainly interested in WW2, but especially upsetting to those who really want a WW2 Pacific theater (and were promised it). I think it would create a huge divide and wouldn't be a smart choice next at all.

Not to mention that Korea has never been a popular conflict for movies (yes I know M.A.S.H.), the game industry or in literature.

WWI, WWII, Vietnam are the main 20th century theatres for the entertainment industry.

So why going the route to a niche of a niche with a small team that is thight on budget?

And I think most of us are here for WWII. Jumping from Stalingrad to Moscow to Kuban to Europe and then Korea would be rather peculiar.

Or make it a separate add-on.

And we already have a BOK.

Or will it be named BOKO then?

So many other interesting theatres to explore between '39 - '45.

• Upvote 3

Based upon the time of previous theater announcements, and assuming BOBP is an Autumn release, we are right around the time (or close to it) of a "what's next?" announcement. I think it will likely happen at some point this summer. I would be willing to bet they (developers) already know and perhaps even have some preliminary research already taking place (or have been). Just a matter of when Jason decides to release the cat-out-of-the-bag, sort of speak.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

Not to mention that Korea has never been a popular conflict for movies (yes I know M.A.S.H.), the game industry or in literature.

WWI, WWII, Vietnam are the main 20th century theatres for the entertainment industry.

So why going the route to a niche of a niche with a small team that is thight on budget?

And I think most of us are here for WWII. Jumping from Stalingrad to Moscow to Kuban to Europe and then Korea would be rather peculiar.

Or make it a separate add-on.

And we already have a BOK.

Or will it be named BOKO then?

So many other interesting theatres to explore between '39 - '45.

If we would vote youd be surprised.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

2 minutes ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

If we would vote youd be surprised.

...ah, in psychological terms, the false consensus bias...

But who knows...

People seem to forget when there was an official developers poll for community desire, prior to any work on Bodenplatte, the winner of the vote was actually Mediterranean theatre, followed in second by Pacific...

Posted (edited)

I personally would love to see a 1943 Italian Campaign, I have previously argued for a Malta campaign, but that runs into the limitations of the game engine ie. large bomber formations aren't possible with this incarnation of the game engine.

I would love to see a Battle starting with the invasion of Sicily, Operation Husky. In this timeframe we have one of my favourite Spitfire's, the Mk.VIII, the first use of the Hurribomber in Il-2 Great Battles (aka the Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIb or Mk.IV), as well as American fighters like the P-51b and razorback P-47 to appeal to the american market, perhaps a Bristol Beaufighter as a twin engined heavy fighter / anti-shipping bomber. Also it would re-use some aircraft that we already have.

For the Axis line-up, most have already been done, for example the Me109G4 just needing a tropical air filter. The Mc.202 was still in use and a Reggiane Re.2001 would be nice...

But my real interest is in the 'Serie 5' Italian Stallions, the Macchi Mc.205 Veltro and the Fiat G.55 Centauro... (I wouldn't include the Reggiane Re.2005 as it was built in such small numbers) The G.55 was perhaps the best fighter in the whole Axis line-up, combining a great powerplant in the license built DB.605 with a very aerodynamic and agile airframe. In terms of turning circle and maneouverability it was a match for the Spitfire as well as having good firepower. No more late war 109's having to use 'boom and zoom' tactics, the G.55 was a dogfighter through and through. Historically only a few dozen were operational by the time of the Italian armistice, but then again how many Mc.202's were in combat over Stalingrad or Moscow?

(from wiki) "The Germans also brought with them several aircraft including a Fw 190 A-5 and a Bf 109 G-4 for direct comparison tests in simulated dogfights.

The tests began 20 February 1943 with the German commission very impressed by the Italian aircraft, the G.55 in particular. In general, all the Serie 5 fighters were very good at low altitudes, but the G.55 was also competitive with its German opponents in term of speed and climb rate at high altitudes, while still maintaining superior handling characteristics. The definitive evaluation by the German commission was "excellent" for the G.55, "excellent" for the Re.2005 although very complicated to produce, and merely "average" for the C.205. Oberst Petersen defined the G.55 "the best fighter in the Axis" and immediately telegraphed his impressions to Göring. After listening to the recommendations of Petersen, Milch and Galland, a meeting held by Göring on 22 February 1943 voted to produce the G.55 in Germany."

This Battlefront also gives 1C the chance to model an invasion force on the beaches of Sicily as well as paratroopers.

Some may argue that this Battle is too obscure to be popular, but remember the days of Il-2 Forgotten Battles? I believe it would sell. And considering it uses many existing aircraft types, it wouldn't be too laborious to make.

Sorry if this post is a bit too detailed!  I also think a 1943-44 Italian Battle in the mountains north of Rome would be great.

My suggested map area:

Regione_Siciliana_map-blank.thumb.jpg.83dffdf1af934b1a94cff33a9a89b2db.jpg1661858455_SicilyJuly10-Aug171943.thumb.jpg.df914498f39ff38fe850990c70356a5e.jpg

Anyone else want to see a Battle like this next?

Edited by Algy-Lacey
Ahh, the Mosquito didn't see service in the Med, as far as I can tell.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5

really people? Not AI improvements? only 1 or 2 guys mentioned it... Why more content? Polish what we have already (which is good but there's space for improvement yet). 

PS: I wont complain if they add the fieseler tho...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

really people? Not AI improvements? only 1 or 2 guys mentioned it... Why more content? Polish what we have already (which is good but there's space for improvement yet). 

PS: I wont complain if they add the fieseler tho...

Oh hell no would I suggest they do one to the exclusion of the other! - they need AI improvements and polishing and adjusting of things all around...but they invariably have to come up with the next source of income for the studio and a direction for the series as well. I don't think they are mutually exclusive things (but I do agree with continued work on polishing and adjustments is very important). :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hopefully refinement and optimization will take priority in development for awhile.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SovietAce said:

I hoping for late eastern front scenario. Bagration or Berlin would do perfectly.  Also some early scenario like Barbarosa or Smolensk would be great, because Soviet planeset for BoM is currently very poor. If they would wanted to stay in UK, US vs Germany scenario, then Italy would be best option. And If Bagration wouldn´t be made as main expansion, I hope It could make its way in Tank Crew. Because I really wish to drive this machine:  

Yes, that’s fine. In addition to before mentioned scenarios I'd like to see:

Crimea, Kurland (44-45) + Leningrad (41-44), Kursk (North & South). Bessarabia, Hungary. Well, basically all missing Eastern front scenarios. But North Africa, Malta, and Italy (w/ Sicily, Sardinia & Corsica) would be pretty cool.

25 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

I personally would love to see a 1943 Italian Campaign, I have previously argued for a Malta campaign, but that runs into the limitations of the game engine ie. large bomber formations aren't possible with this incarnation of the game engine.

I would love to see a Battle starting with the invasion of Sicily, Operation Husky. In this timeframe we have one of my favourite Spitfire's, the Mk.VIII, the introduction of the Hurribomber aka the Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIb or Mk.IV, as well as American fighters like the P-51b and razorback P-47 to appeal to the american market, perhaps a Mosquito (this HAS to be done at some point, one of the most succesful designs of WWII) and also it would re-use some aircraft that we already have.

For the Axis line-up, most have already been done, for example the Me109G4 just needing a tropical air filter. The Mc.202 was still in use and a Reggiane Re.2001 would be nice...

But my real interest is in the 'Serie 5' Italian Stallions, the Macchi Mc.205 Veltro and the Fiat G.55 Centauro... (I wouldn't include the Reggiane Re.2005 as it was built in such small numbers) The G.55 was perhaps the best fighter in the whole Axis line-up, combining a great powerplant in the license built DB.605 with a very aerodynamic and agile airframe. In terms of turning circle and maneouverability it was a match for the Spitfire as well as having good firepower. No more late war 109's having to use 'boom and zoom' tactics, the G.55 was a dogfighter through and through. Historically only a few dozen were operational by the time of the Italian armistice, but then again how many Mc.202's were in combat over Stalingrad or Moscow?

(from wiki) "The Germans also brought with them several aircraft including a Fw 190 A-5 and a Bf 109 G-4 for direct comparison tests in simulated dogfights.

The tests began 20 February 1943 with the German commission very impressed by the Italian aircraft, the G.55 in particular. In general, all the Serie 5 fighters were very good at low altitudes, but the G.55 was also competitive with its German opponents in term of speed and climb rate at high altitudes, while still maintaining superior handling characteristics. The definitive evaluation by the German commission was "excellent" for the G.55, "excellent" for the Re.2005 although very complicated to produce, and merely "average" for the C.205. Oberst Petersen defined the G.55 "the best fighter in the Axis" and immediately telegraphed his impressions to Göring. After listening to the recommendations of Petersen, Milch and Galland, a meeting held by Göring on 22 February 1943 voted to produce the G.55 in Germany."

This Battlefront also gives 1C the chance to model an invasion force on the beaches of Sicily as well as paratroopers.

Some may argue that this Battle is too obscure to be popular, but remember the days of Il-2 Forgotten Battles? I believe it would sell. And considering it uses many existing aircraft types, it wouldn't be too laborious to make.

Sorry if this post is a bit too detailed!  I also think a 1943-44 Italian Battle in the mountains north of Rome would be great.

My suggested map area:

Anyone else want to see a Battle like this next?

Yes!

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, anonymouse said:

Nah, it would only be 'divisive' among the few loudest forum posters. Like 1% of people who own the game even post on the forum. The overwhelming majority will most likely buy any battle they decide to make. 

Omg not this again. You *weren't promised* a PTO battle.

That's why it would most likely increase sales. Finally something new. Also about popularity, you know North Korea has been on the news a lot lately so..might even give a little boost in sales ;) 

Yeah, with like 1000 participants. There are 177516 members on the forum so ~0,5% of forum members even voted.

If you don't like a certain theater/battle that's totally fine, what annoys me is when people come up with bs excuses. Just say you dislike the theater/battle. 🤣

Excuse me, but I gave rational reasons why I think it would not be a good choice to do Korea next - I don't think they were bs excuses. Sorry you feel that way. You also seem to put me into a Pacific criers (for lack of a better term) group - your assumption is wrong. I am merely stating facts which I know about (previous developers poll (well over 1000 voted - which isn't an small sample size relative to community whole as far as opinion sampling is concerned) - and secondly, my perceptions based up the genre, the passionate desire of some for a certain theater (adding in the promise) - and of the belief that there are probably more here that are into WW2 aircraft than later birds (but you can say I am wrong here - that's your prerogative). Personally, I would prefer Italy, but would be happy with Pacific, just an fyi. And I would still buy Korea if they choose to go there.

Edited by Redwo1f

10 minutes ago, anonymouse said:

Yeah, with like 1000 participants. There are 177516 members on the forum so ~0,5% of forum members even voted.

Haha! This sounds like the situation here in the UK with 'Brexit', the vote on whether or not to be in the European Union...

If a big enough percentage of those 1000 voted for the Mediteranean 😉  it's still an accurate yardstick

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Hopefully refinement and optimization will take priority in development for awhile.

From January DD

Han

"

Hello everybody,

So, this is the end of 2018. It was a very interesting year for us, it brought many new, but long-awaited changes and improvements to the project. Almost 500 points were listed in the update changelists in total and there were more minor, unlisted ones which are impossible to count. "

2019 seems to be looking good as well considering recent DD news

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Edited by Dakpilot
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

By the diversity of wishes, planeset, multiplayer balance... an IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Sangri-La 1948 is the answer (a kind of il-2:1946).

35 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

Based upon the time of previous theater announcements, and assuming BOBP is an Autumn release, we are right around the time (or close to it) of a "what's next?" announcement. I think it will likely happen at some point this summer. I would be willing to bet they (developers) already know and perhaps even have some preliminary research already taking place (or have been). Just a matter of when Jason decides to release the cat-out-of-the-bag, sort of speak.

Agree completely.  Jason went to Moscow earlier in the year where I suspect he and Han put their plans forward for the next release. 

I'll put my money on an announcement shortly after the release of the Bodenplatte map.

As to where?  Don't mind - as long as it's got a carrier to take off from.....:biggrin:  

Posted (edited)

Edited by RAY-EU
I vote for : Pearl Harbor . 5G will compatibles moviles devices with Pc and will be possible to play all around the world also Asia & Japan with lower ping .

6 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

I don't know about anyone else, but when playing single player Quick Missions, it seems to me the enemy AI spends more time running away than fighting.

Yes, I have noticed that.

Their evasive manouvers are all good, but in a furball they keep evading and never attacking. I hope there is a way to keep their evasive behavior as is, and add the attack back on.

I can't see Korea being done next. There is a clear market for a Pacific scenario, and many of the technological and documentation-related problems which make the Pacific option difficult are likely to be reproduced for Korea. If they can do Korea, they can do the Pacific, where there is less of a risk marketing-wise. And if the tech etc isn't there, the European air war still has room for expansion.

And personally, I'm inclined to agree with those that have suggested that the Korean air war isn't a particularly good match for a BoX-style sim anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"I can't see Korea being done next"

I can if they still lack the ability to replicate the Japanese assets to the level they want.  

People can WANT the PTO all day long, twice on Sunday and thrice on Christmas...if the documentation still isn't there, it's not happening. 

• Like 1

My understanding was that often the problem wasn't so much that the documentation wasn't there, but that it was written in complex technical Japanese, making translations hard to find. Difficult to deal with, but not impossible.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Redwo1f said:

Oh hell no would I suggest they do one to the exclusion of the other! - they need AI improvements and polishing and adjusting of things all around...but they invariably have to come up with the next source of income for the studio and a direction for the series as well. I don't think they are mutually exclusive things (but I do agree with continued work on polishing and adjustments is very important). :)

next source of income could be increasing the playerbase actually imo. Its like saying recording more CDs being an underground music band will make you have more "fans". But it doesn't work like that, is the quality of content that makes that. (Well, in music world doesn't always work like that anyways). 

Also this is not a "free to play" or "mainstrram" game like WoT or WT, where more content = more children asking for mom and dad to buy things and "skins" ingame. If you are into WWII planes, you will arrive to IL2 world without the need of "more content". It worked like that in my case and I'm totally sure ot happened the same to almost everyone here.

Edited by ME-BFMasserME262

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rekt said:

I certainly wouldn't object to having Yak-3/Yak-9/La-7, but would the German side have enough planes remaining to build a complete module? 109G10 but what else? The current design of 4 or 5 planes per side with pilot careers and all that seems like it might break down in a late Eastern Front (or a Normandy or Africa for that matter) scenario without significantly recycling content.

Maybe they could include some German aircraft from previous modules (109G6, 109K4, 190D9) and offer a discount for those who already have BoBP/collector aircraft or something?

Yak-3/Yak-9/La-7/p63/Il10

Bf109g10/g6as/fw190a9/ta152/ju87d5

Depends on where on the front they wanna do it.

If they dont want the g6as or ta could do the fw189

If they did the Mediterranean the ju87d5, bf110f, and Italian planes would fill out the axis

Edited by Hajo_Garlic
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

What if we were allowed to vote with money (1 dollar one vote) on preferred features from a backlog that the team would provide, and we would be prioritizing the backlog that way? That could be a source of income, and would solve the Cleanup Edition conundrum.

This could provide a continuous source of income for continuous improvement, without becoming a subscription scheme.

Edited by J2_Bidu

48 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

What if we were allowed to vote with money (1 dollar one vote) on preferred features from a backlog that the team would provide, and we would be prioritizing the backlog that way? That could be a source of income, and would solve the Cleanup Edition conundrum.

This could provide a continuous source of income for continuous improvement, without becoming a subscription scheme.

I seem to recall someone suggesting something similar a few weeks ago. No sensible developer is going to do that. Taking money for bug fixes or for development of future features is a recipe for endless complaints about how long the thing is taking, more complaints that things aren't being done in the 'right order', and demands to see the books to see where the money is going. Software development for something as complex as IL-2 GB can't be done that way. Everything is interdependent, and things need to be tackled when the overall plan requires them, and when the necessary resources (i.e. the developers with the necessary knowledge) are available. You don't sell control of the day-to-day development cycle to customers.

If you want a vote on what the developers do, become a major shareholder.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Not going to happen.

Nor is Korea in the foreseeable future. I’d guess Korea is in either the third or fourth position behind;

Europe 2: Either Normandy or Italy

Pacific

Eastern Front part 3

Korea likely fits in between Pacific and EF3 or after EF3 as a Natural progression. Even with a third party doing some of the heavy lifting.

Pure (educated) guess.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Italy, Italy, Italy . . Please . . . with the Me 323 Gigant  😍

• Upvote 1

this might be hard but i wouldn't mind seeing a Defense of the Third Reich type expansion/ Daylight bombing from the allies and the Night fighter for the Luftwaffe 

1 hour ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Nor is Korea in the foreseeable future. I’d guess Korea is in either the third or fourth position behind;

Pacific

Eastern Front part 3

Korea likely fits in between Pacific and EF3 or after EF3 as a Natural progression. Even with a third party doing some of the heavy lifting.

Pure (educated) guess.

I'll add my educated purely a guess to yours and predict that we don't see another full eastern front release any time in the next decade, and perhaps not ever.

We've already been there 3 times, and there's too much to cover that would bring in more revenue.

I remember that back before Jason took over, and Loft was still running things back in the middle of Moscow we both held the same position.

"I'll pay for one more Eastern Front release, then there'd better be something different or I'm out"  I think a good number of us felt like that.

Well Jason took the reigns, took us to Kuban which was THE right move at that juncture, now here we sit waiting for BobP final.

PTO will take more than one release to do justice, and 3 ETO releases should buy us at least 2 PTO releases I'm HOPING.

Another Eastern Front full release will amount to basically the same result later as it would if it came directly next.

As I said in another thread I'd be surprised to see Normandy as a full release for several reasons, but it could happen.

If we go to Normandy I doubt I'll build another aircraft campaign for it though...after this current build I'll need PTO to get those juices flowing again.

A hedgerow tank campaign...that might be fun...

Anyway, we know Jason is a big PTO fan, we know Han wants to go to Korea.

None of that speaks Italy or Eastern Front to me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Battle of Midway

Spoiler

Call it Battle of Midway for name sake, but you can have min of 3 maps, one Midway area, one Aleutians area, and one map just sea.

And you make campaigns for:

The Battle of the Coral Sea, 4–8 May 1942
A6M2-21, D3A1, B5N2 , Shokaku, Zuikaku and Shoho
F4F-3/3A, SBD3, TBD1 , Lexington and Yorktown

Battle of Midway, 4-7 June 1942

A6M2-21, B5N2, D3A1, F1M2 , D4Y1-C , Kaga, Akagi, Hiryu and Soryu

F2A-3, F4F-4, TBD-1, SBD-3, TBF-1, PBY-5A, B-26A... , Enterprise, Hornet and Yorktown

Aleutians (Dutch Harbor, Umnak and Cold Bay area)
A6M2-21,B5N2, D3A1 , Junyo and Ryujo
P-40E, PBY, B-26A...

Battle of the Eastern Solomons, 24–25 August 1942
A6M2-21, B5N2, D3A1 , Shokaku, Zuikaku and Ryujo 
F4F4, SBD3, TBF1 , Saratoga and Enterprise

Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands, 26 October 1942
A6M2-21 and A6M3-32, B5N2, D3A2 , Shokaku, Zuikaku and Junyo 
F4F4, SBD3, TBF1 , Hornet and Enterprise 

So you basicly need only this 10 airplanes + AI and cover all that preaty good:

A6M2-21
B5N2
D3A1
F1M2
A6M3-32

F2A-3 (or F4F-3)
F4F-4
TBD-1
SBD-3
TBF-1  

Most carriers are same class so not mutch work needed at start

Ai only PBY-5A, make it flyable with time. (P-40E is in game as collectable already)

And later you can even make separate Pearl Harbor map with its campaign, and P-40B as pack for 30-40$

Then Battle Of Rome

Spoiler

But what ever is next ill get it in the end

Edited by 77.CountZero