pa4tim

IL-2 1946 outside Steam ?

Is steam the only possibility to get IL-2 1946 ? 

It would be fun to fly some "unusual" planes so now and then but I do not have steam and outside WT and IL-2 I do not play any other games, nor am I interested in other games. 

Thanks, I am downloading it now. In an older topic I read about mod packs. Must you install them to have a nice looking game  ? And if so, is there a smaller one as the BAT because 80GB will take a few days here and longer as the download stops every time there is a disconnect ( IP packages here go through the pony expres )

This is complicated if you are not at home into the game world. Feels like I am back in the 90's, installing Linux programs 😉

That link talks about the SAS IL-2 4.12.2m Mega Patch.

I have 4.13.4m so I assume I do not need that part. (But I also downloaded 3 files, that I think now, are together version 4.10m and not some add-on/module/mod that I thought.  Must I use those with the megapatch or just delete them ?) 

I am very good in messing up software installs

Posted (edited)

Hey pa4tim,

Your best bet is to go to the sas1946 site and ask your questions there, in the "new member safety area".

Most mods at SAS are built on IL2 4.12.2m. There is an "unpatcher" to get from your version to the appropriate one. It is important to note that you should not install your game to the windows "Programs" folder. If you've already done so, you can simply copy the whole game folder to another location. IL2 does not make any windows registry entries, so you can move or copy to anywhere you'd like. It's also important to keep a "virgin" install of your game somewhere as a backup.

Cloyd

Edited by Cloyd

Succeeded. I only did the VP update and that is still a massive amount of data.

Short review from the view of a new airplane sim player:

IL-1946 on its own is really outdated. Graphics are pretty bad. Not even worth the 10 buck. Probably still a fanbase based on good memories. But with the modpack it is still a really nice looking program and a bargain.  Graphics are now OK, not as good as  IL-2 BOX but good enough to not make the whole thing feel like you fly in a cartoon  There is still a lot 2D or semi-3D (like the oil-handwheels for the copilot in the cockpit of the JU-52) Strange enough, some aspect are better, like the cockpit frames and windows of the FW190-D9.  

Documentation is a galaxy better, over 500 pages, not only about installing the game but for most about the planes and how to play them.

There are also training/tutorial things in the game itself. But maybe this is work of the community. If not, why did they complete skip it for BOX

It is great to have so many different planes (like a JU-52 with big floats as water-plane) and maps. Missions etc are also nice. And strange enough, 1946 does give you the possibility to make a few control-setups. The sounds are very nice too, some canons/heavy MG fire is giving me goosebumps ( like the me262 ) . Handeling the planes (how they feel/react) is not much different from BOX (that is for me without many experience in both games, maybe they are little bit more easy) The best part, where they fly rounds around BOX, is the chatter on the radio. (like a Pilot in panic who was calling for help with a plane on his 6) I really really liked that, it made it so much more real. At first I thought I made a mistake and was playing MP but nobody was cursing at team members.....😀

I liked the AI very much, even set on average I had to run for my life a few times and was killed almost every battle. I would love to see the labels/markers of 1946 in IL-2 BOX. They are very faint and small , you really have to look good to see them,  ideal to get some spotting practice. And they prevent shooting planes from the wrong side. It is a perfect in between. The big markers and red arrows in BOX is a bit to easy, I would love to do without them, but that is for me to hard.  There is nothing in between (as far as I know due to lack of decent documentation) 

I am happy I installed it.  I will use it for most to play a bit with things like big bombers, strange planes or more modern planes and for most to practice things like navigation and spotting because in BOX it is for me to easy or to difficult.  There is a german plane with a single jet engine on top of the fuselage, that thing is tuns of fun.