Sign in to follow this  
J5_Spyboy

Duck

There is a FB group called 'Shadows of the Ostfront'. This is from there. Its a very interesting site.

• Like 1

Poor little Duck, needed BMW 801s soooo badly.

Not a bad airframe at all...but those engines...

8 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

I completely agree

10 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I'd rather have this one...

j2f6-1a.jpg

Actually that was why I read this topic. Seen Kermit cam and the flight with the duck

That would be great. But then we would need. spotter abilities into the game. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

This ^^

This would have made the Duck into the aircraft it deserved to be. As it stands now, with me at the controls, I can kill everything except the enemy. I'm just not good enough at managing what little power it has, so I am a direct threat to trees, houses, and myself. At least the enemy tankers get a good laugh at my tree trimming abilities.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, =SHARK=CG_Justin said:

This ^^

This would have made the Duck into the aircraft it deserved to be. As it stands now, with me at the controls, I can kill everything except the enemy. I'm just not good enough at managing what little power it has, so I am a direct threat to trees, houses, and myself. At least the enemy tankers get a good laugh at my tree trimming abilities.

Using take-off flaps,1 click down, during attacks have decreased my tree trimming tendencies quite a bit.

Using Jade Monkey's Hs-129 tank attack mission will hone your skills for attacking tanks and other ground targets.  I have spent many a hour here.

Single Missions pack: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Dunno about that. Giving a single Hs 129 BMW engines would mean two Fw 190As not getting built. Aircraft engines were always in short supply for any military in WW2, but for the Germans doubly so. We can't ignore that factor when talking about, what should or shouldn't have been done with a specific design. 

Not sure a not-underpowered Hs 129 is worth giving up two Fw 190s for, in fact I'm pretty sure it isn't. 

On the other hand I'd gladly have given up a few thousand IL-2s to see the MiG-3 mass-produced with the AM-38.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Finkeren said:

On the other hand I'd gladly have given up a few thousand IL-2s to see the MiG-3 mass-produced with the AM-38

Easy to say, as the IL-2 was produced in large numbers anyway.

3 hours ago, Finkeren said:

Dunno about that. Giving a single Hs 129 BMW engines would mean two Fw 190As not getting built. Aircraft engines were always in short supply for any military in WW2, but for the Germans doubly so. We can't ignore that factor when talking about, what should or shouldn't have been done with a specific design. 

Not sure a not-underpowered Hs 129 is worth giving up two Fw 190s for, in fact I'm pretty sure it isn't. 

Especially as the 190 was able to do most things the Duck did, too, but much faster and with the ability to defend itself.

Stalin got two demands I read about. 

1 keeping the production going on the I16 but took advices and backed out. 

2 he wanted as many IL 2 he possibly could get. 

I do not think he backed fown at that

15 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

Actually that was why I read this topic. Seen Kermit cam and the flight with the duck

That would be great. But then we would need. spotter abilities into the game. 

awesome series, thanks for the link!

- I like how he hits the gauges with his fingers to get the needles unstuck..   😄

question:  this is really for the general air industry of prop planes (old and new) -  he's putting all these belts and harnesses, do they need to be-recertified/replaced every couple of years due to 'expiration'?  I know in rally racing the belts have 2 year life span, not sure if it's the same for the airplanes?

edit:  was there an a20 sitting right next to their hangar? You can see it right at the end of the episode 3... Super cool..

Edited by pomdeterre

In my experience belts were only changed "on condition" (a rather nice 'catchall' aviation phrase) 

Am pretty certain most of the DC-4/DC-3 I flew still had the same belts from the 40's! (Likewise many other aircraft.) although they were of fairly high quality and heavy duty. 

I used to get a kick out of going to work every day using the same control column and even sitting on the very same seat cushions (although a bit unsavery if thought about too hard) used several generation's before 😎. One of "my" DC-3's was used in Operation Torch (North African landings) I was very privileged to have flown so much history

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dakpilot said:

In my experience belts were only changed "on condition" (a rather nice 'catchall' aviation phrase) 

indeed a catchall. 😄  similar to my industry's answer to any question as "that depends.." 😄

7 hours ago, Finkeren said:

On the other hand I'd gladly have given up a few thousand IL-2s to see the MiG-3 mass-produced with the AM-38.

German WW2 engine production, http://enginehistory.org/Piston/WW2GermanProduction/WW2GermanProduction.shtml

Interesting, I just changed out the safety belts in my employer's Triumph TR3 vintage race car.  The new FIA specs require replacement every 5 years.

8 hours ago, Finkeren said:

TL;DR

You guys are aware that a Gnome-Rhône14M is less than half the size of a BMW801 and fitting it to a Hs129 is impossible, right? Given it ran on 87 octane fuel the comparable BMW801 is the C version, which has a worse power to weight ratio, btw. The G-R14M is a pretty decent engine. It gave the Hs129 the same power to weight ratio as an Il-2 and an better than that of a Ju87.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JtD said:

You guys are aware that a Gnome-Rhône14M is less than half the size of a BMW801 and fitting it to a Hs129 is impossible, right?

Yes, JTD - I'm pretty sure all of us have had that moment in our lives when we realized that it would be impossible to mate a BMW 801 to an Hs129.

Still, we can dream.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JtD said:

You guys are aware that a Gnome-Rhône14M is less than half the size of a BMW801 and fitting it to a Hs129 is impossible, right? Given it ran on 87 octane fuel the comparable BMW801 is the C version, which has a worse power to weight ratio, btw. The G-R14M is a pretty decent engine. It gave the Hs129 the same power to weight ratio as an Il-2 and an better than that of a Ju87.

You are aware that it's just day dreaming and not speaking of feasibility and/or practical application, right?

They why not dream big and say you want a GAU-8A cannon and GE-TF34 engines? It the same level of absurdity but delivers way better results. :)

13 hours ago, JtD said:

They why not dream big and say you want a GAU-8A cannon and GE-TF34 engines? It the same level of absurdity but delivers way better results. :)

hes-right-you-know-32644960.png

23 hours ago, JtD said:

The controls also get quite heavy above 400, its not made to be flown at those speeds, the fuel tanks also wont give it any meaningful endurance if you double the size of the engines, then the landing gear, to carry the heavier engines and more fuel, then you'd need to increase the wing area, reinforce the frame, etc, etc, in a vicious spiral of weight and cost increase...