Sign in to follow this  
rohan

A new user has questions

I have been a user of the disc versions of "Il-2" up to "1946", and of the non-Steam verion of "Rise of Flight", but so far have not tried any of your latest incarnations within "Greatest Battles". I may try to use the opportunity of this summer sale to do so, but have a number of fairly basic technical questions which need answering before I can commit to a purchase.

1 - the Steam and non-Steam versions of "Rise of Flight" were not capable of living together within a single installation. Does this restriction still apply to the Steam and non-Steam versions of the "Greatest Battles" ? Or could I for example run the Steam version of "Stalingrad" together with the non-Steam version of "Kuban", as if they are a single installation ?

2 - How large are the downloads involved ? I am interested in "Bodenplatte", and really interested in "Tank Crew", but have no idea of how much of my monthly download allowance either of these would take if I made a purchase.

3 - I saw a comment on your store webpages that driving tanks in one of the "Greatest Battles" is only possible in a multiplayer mode game. Does this mean that it is just not possible to even practice driving a tank in a single player scenario ?

4 - Is it possible to obtain a copy of the user manual for one of the "Greatest Battles" games before buying it so that I can see whether my keyboard and mouse will give me adequate control of planes and tanks, or whether some other device would make this much easier for me ?

Being new to this forum and this product range, I really was not sure where to post my questions - I hope this is sufficiently close to the correct target sub-forum.

I hope that some kind soul here can give me answers that will allow me to make a decision about buying one of these games, or even maybe two. Thank you in advance for any help here,
regards,
ro

There is only one version of Rise of Flight. You can install it with Steam or by downloading. But if you play with your site account you don't see the planes in your Steam account. And vice-versa, unless you convert to a Steam-only account.

I buy directly from the site because this helps the development team more. We are a relatively small community, so these things make a difference.

I believe the downloads are a few Gb. Maybe 3 or 4 Gb, not sure.

As for controls, believe me that even a modest joystick will clearly beat a mouse in every respect.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, J2_Bidu said:

I believe the downloads are a few Gb. Maybe 3 or 4 Gb, not sure.

As for controls, believe me that even a modest joystick will clearly beat a mouse in every respect

Welcome Rohan.

Just from memory, that's more like 20 gig. but that big download is a one-off.

If you buy only one of the Battles, they will all download, even though you can only use the one you paid for until you buy more.

And yes! Buy some sort of joystick at least. I neglected to check the Joystick in settings when I first started, so was forced to use the mouse until I figured it out. Once the joystick was working, the difference was night and day. This is a very realistic sim, and you need at least a cheap joystick to appreciate it.

Edited by jaygee485

Thanks very much for that update. jaygee485. I'm afraid that massive 20 Gb download will kill any chance that I can invest in one or more of these battles.

I assume that Bodenplatte will raise this 20 Gb figure even more, and even though it is an early access version. Or does it come as a "single battle" download without the others because it is early access ?

Can anybody tell me how big the download for Tank Crew is at present, or is that also treated as a battle for download purposes ?

Thanks very much for the input so far,

ro

On 7/4/2019 at 2:10 AM, rohan said:

I assume that Bodenplatte will raise this 20 Gb figure even more, and even though it is an early access version. Or does it come as a "single battle" download without the others because it is early access ?

I don't know the answer for sure, but as no one else has replied, I'll give my opinion.

As far as I know, when a new Battle is added, it is available as an update for users who already own at least one other Battle.

As a new user, if you only want the new one, you will need to download it along with all the others, and yes, it would increase the overall download file size.

If it's bandwidth limitations that would be a problem for you, rather than available disk space, why don't you use a free public wifi hub?  

I recently upgraded my ISP plan from limited to unlimited, but before I did that I was intending to download the game at the public library on my laptop,

then transfer it to my desktop. Bear in mind though, that the download speed can be very slow. I couldn't get better than 2.8 mbps.   

On 7/4/2019 at 2:10 AM, rohan said:

Can anybody tell me how big the download for Tank Crew is at present, or is that also treated as a battle for download purposes ?

Sorry, I overlooked that question, but anyway, I don't know!

I don't have TC, but I assume it's also included in the same download. Hopefully, someone else can advise if it's separate.