Developer Diary 225 - Discussion

19 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

RRR?

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

Stay green, folks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

_Halb_4.jpg

Anyone else noticed the texture glitch on the top wing?

Very solid DD, worth the wait!! 👍👍

For those wondering why are they working on the fatigue feature now instead of working on "more important things", remember that survey for the community to give their feedback? This could be part of what people asked for. The devs dont usually talk about upcoming features unless they are really in the pipeline and with a plan in place. Just be patient and you will.be in for a world of sim joy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J2_Jakob said:

_Halb_4.jpg

Anyone else noticed the texture glitch on the top wing?

You talking about that camo overspray in the center section? That is actually a historic element. The center section is not part of the canvas wing structure, and was generally painted similarly to the fuselage.

• Upvote 1

Thanks team, incredible amount of work and great DD again :good:

Can't wait for chasing schwalbes over Holland....

22 minutes ago, WWDubya said:

You talking about that camo overspray in the center section? That is actually a historic element. The center section is not part of the canvas wing structure, and was generally painted similarly to the fuselage.

Maybe he is talking about the glitch on the lower corner, on the right of the image.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2019 at 6:02 PM, Bert_Foster said:

Putting effort into Pilot fatigue seems a strange use of resources when issues like Engine timers (engine fatigue?) are the real blight in the sim at the moment imo ! Engine timers and their seemingly random application is a far bigger immersion killer than some dreamed up pilot fatigue routine.

I talked to Jason about it and they are working on some options for the engine timer issue. So its not an either or thing. We'll see both get some attention and probably not for the last time on either.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WWDubya said:

No, I was talking about that weird cut in the lozenge pattern on the right side of the top wing. The more I look at that image the more I see similar cut on all visible top parts of both wings actually (mirrored).

13 minutes ago, J2_Jakob said:

No, I was talking about that weird cut in the lozenge pattern on the right side of the top wing. The more I look at that image the more I see similar cut on all visible top parts of both wings actually (mirrored).

Oh, yes, the pattern seam. The lozenge was applied diagonally. I've seen some photos where the canvase was not mirrored, so instead of a cheveron, it was more of a candy stripe across the entirety of the upper wing.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, WWDubya said:

Oh, yes, the pattern seam. The lozenge was applied diagonally. I've seen some photos where the canvase was not mirrored, so instead of a cheveron, it was more of a candy stripe across the entirety of the upper wing.

Oh, I see! So the pattern seam is actually intentional and historically correct because it was applied in diagonally rotated canvas stripes back in the day? Cool. I remember reading about diagonal application...

At first I didn't see the seam on the bottom parts of the wings, but it's there as well...

I stand corrected, thanks!

11 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Refit ?? Rearm 

Well we all knew "RRR" as "Rearm, Repair, Refuel", right. It looks like they've altered the terminology. Quote from Han, DD225 (my formatting):

Fatigue caused by a high G stress, (in)ability to bail out and other such things. After that, we'll get to repairing, refueling and refitting the aircraft on the ground.

Hello,

After 2 days and 8 attempts from one hour to an hour and a half each time, I can not download the last update. After downloading 1.5GO, I receive an error message "Download Error". ?????

Regarding the previous updates I never had a problem. Another consequence, I can not have access to the game in any form whatsoever. I bought IL2-BOS, BOM, BOK, BOB, TC, Flying Circus, and I can not access it even in local mode.

I do not know what to do, help please.

Thank you.

Hello,

After 2 days and 8 attempts from one hour to an hour and a half each time, I can not download the last update. After downloading 1.5GO, I receive an error message "Download Error". ?????

Regarding the previous updates I never had a problem. Another consequence, I can not have access to the game in any form whatsoever. I bought IL2-BOS, BOM, BOK, BOB, TC, Flying Circus, and I can not access it even in local mode.

I do not know what to do, help please.

Thank you.

Hello everyone

I have a big problem, I can not download the latest update. It stops after 1.62 GB with the message "Update error". It's been 3 days and 12 attempts that I try desperately to make this update without success. In addition I can not use IL2 Geat Battles in its previous version because it asks me to update the game. I do not know what to do anymore. So far everything had worked well without any problem.
Does anyone have a solution to get out of it? I do not understand anything anymore.
I have B.O.S. - B.O.M.- B.O.K.- B.O.B.P.- Tank Crew- F.Circus and I can not play any more.

Thank you for your help.

Or you could locate the folder where Il-2 is installed, locate the UPDATES subfolder and delete anything in there. Then restart the Launcher and it should work.

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2019 at 7:02 PM, Bert_Foster said:

Putting effort into Pilot fatigue seems a strange use of resources when issues like Engine timers (engine fatigue?) are the real blight in the sim at the moment imo ! Engine timers and their seemingly random application is a far bigger immersion killer than some dreamed up pilot fatigue routine.

As to pilot fatigue a slippery slope I think. What is the intent of this ? To limit pilots ability to pull G after X applications etc ? Not going to be an issue for your average fit fighter pilot. We are only talking about short duration pulls to at best maybe 7-8G. Most sustained applications (in WWII types) will be in the order 4-5G. Even multiple applications is not going to bother a fit fighter pilot. Sitting on your arse for 3 Hours into and out of the target would be more fatiguing than a few G applications ! Are the devs going to include G suit as a Mod on the US types then factor that into the "fatigue" model?. Is the FW190 seating position going to be taken into account ? Is the ineffective P38 cockpit heating going to be factored in ? Is pilot pre flight activity going to be factored in. Pilot fatigue is not a simple thing imo it will be a real immersion killer.

Even as moderately fit 63 year old I regularly pull 5G multiple times without any fatigue ! A big night on the turps before is more fatiguing than a few G pulls.

If the devs want to work on fatigue then better imo to concentrate on structural damage to the airframe based on G/Weight. Take into account rolling G (asymmetrical G) if you really Over G the aeroplane especially rolling then bend the aeroplane in the sim have a handling/performance issue etc. TD did this quite effectively in IL2 classic.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm no pilot I was a bit puzzled by the fatigue thing. I also think it is unnecessary unless there is a particular / realistic reason for it.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:23 AM, US103_Baer said:

Given the statement above re G force stress, will G forces impact the FC rear gunner's ability to shoot?  It's something that has been requested for a while.

This.

It would also be very welcoming if server operators can lock the option to fly and gun at the same time.

39 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

It would also be very welcoming if server operators can lock the option to fly and gun at the same time.

No large server would do this as it's already hard for servers to attract and maintain their players.

2 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

No large server would do this as it's already hard for servers to attract and maintain their players.

I think it is a shot in the foot to favor arcade / unrealistic settings. Not to mention that gunners are already apparently way deadlier than the norm (from what I see in some threads, in WWII modules as well). To give the player a chance to fly and gun at the same time is the same to give them a Death Star status, at least in ROF / Flying Circus.

But this is just my opinion as a simmer.

Maybe so, but if you want it to stop, you need to hope for a full ban as servers will allow it, given the option.

1 hour ago, SeaW0lf said:

I think it is a shot in the foot to favor arcade / unrealistic settings. Not to mention that gunners are already apparently way deadlier than the norm (from what I see in some threads, in WWII modules as well). To give the player a chance to fly and gun at the same time is the same to give them a Death Star status, at least in ROF / Flying Circus.

But this is just my opinion as a simmer.

Can't we have them fly or gun when they want, with the AI occupying the pilot or the gunner seat, so they just can't do both?

4 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

Can't we have them fly or gun when they want, with the AI occupying the pilot or the gunner seat, so they just can't do both?

To do it properly, I imagine it would require a countdown to switch places. In my honest opinion, if you want to gun in a merge, then do it till the end either as a pilot or as a gunner. To be swapping places back and forth and be shooting people in their backs is just that in my opinion, a knife in the back. I personally would spend my resources in G-forces for gunners and just make a simple lock for flying and gunning.

If I had a server I would apply a hefty ban for flying and gunning, but since the mission builder / dserver is at a programmer’s level, I never did or I do not have the time to learn (perhaps when I retire). I considered back in the days a South American server, but not anymore.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:29 PM, AeroAce said:

This seems very good but the rest of this post said "we can't make it at the cost of a significant performance loss in the graphics and network subsystems." so I will take it with a pinch of salt.

That makes sense. The way I read it is they can't just dial up the render distance and call it a day, they need to find ways to do it that don't cause huge performance hits. So its going to take a while.

Pilot fatigue/ human physiology was one of the top requests back in times of DD120. To prevent people from jerking their sticks around and performing unrealistic maneuvers.

• Upvote 1

I hope they will also work on the fuel system which also was adressed long ago and they wanted to modell a more detailed one.

6 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

Thank you for the clarification. I'm no pilot I was a bit puzzled by the fatigue thing. I also think it is unnecessary unless there is a particular / realistic reason for it.

This.

I think perhaps they have looked to see what OBD has been able to do with their AI (won't post here the list of things their AI takes into account for fear it will get removed(and not meant to steer people away from IL2 GBS (which has been greatly improving :) ))... and decided it wasn't a bad thing to try to add more "humanity" to theirs -  I don't think it is an either/or thing regarding other adjustments/add-ins/tweaks/etc. - just something mentioned.

4 hours ago, Brano said:

Pilot fatigue/ human physiology was one of the top requests back in times of DD120. To prevent people from jerking their sticks around and performing unrealistic maneuvers.

I wonder if LW planes will come with Pervitin tablets as an option in the loadout screen. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

I wonder if LW planes will come with Pervitin tablets as an option in the loadout screen. 

I doubt that very much..

I know.  But, if you want historical accuracy, 'performance enhancing substances' were used.  I forgot to mention American and British piloted planes as well.  Russian pilots seem to have good ol' vodka, but alcohol has a very wide range of effect on people - from wide awake to sleepy.  Other things that were prescribed to other pilots were pretty much guaranteed to equal "ready to fight!". 

5 hours ago, Brano said:

A proper Aircraft structural G damage model would solve that ...over G the jet it gets bent, do it again it gets even more bent perhaps to the point of becoming operationally useless. would also solve the issue of those A20 Air Superiority types :)

7 hours ago, Bert_Foster said:

A proper Aircraft structural G damage model would solve that ...over G the jet it gets bent, do it again it gets even more bent perhaps to the point of becoming operationally useless. would also solve the issue of those A20 Air Superiority types :)

You can break the wings off the Spit with high AoA at speed. Also the A-20 was stressed to 6g and definitely breaks if you pull too hard. Whenever I use it as an interceptor I have to be quite careful about AoA and G forces in turns.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see the very faint markers that they use in IL-2 1946. Why, to have something in between. Now it is a bit all or nothing in BOX. Or big red markers visible over a huge distance and the red arrows pointing on the edge of the screen and seeing them on the map. Or nothing at all. Because it is more real I would love to play without markers etc but that is, for me as a beginner to difficult. A little help in between would be great. 

On 7/3/2019 at 12:07 AM, Bert_Foster said:

It was not only about fatigue. There was also point about introducing simple human spine to have more realistic pilot head movements (no "owl neck"anymore).

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 8:23 PM, pa4tim said:

I would like to see the very faint markers that they use in IL-2 1946. Why, to have something in between. Now it is a bit all or nothing in BOX. Or big red markers visible over a huge distance and the red arrows pointing on the edge of the screen and seeing them on the map. Or nothing at all. Because it is more real I would love to play without markers etc but that is, for me as a beginner to difficult. A little help in between would be great. 

Check out this mod. Perhaps it helps:

9 minutes ago, Brano said:

It was not only about fatigue. There was also point about introducing simple human spine to have more realistic pilot head movements (no "owl neck"anymore).

The devs will have to be careful with limiting head/neck movements. I can imagine people straining their real life neck using TIR because it is not turning as much as they are used to.

23 minutes ago, Brano said:

Would love to see this restriction implemented

1 hour ago, pfrances said:

Would love to see this restriction implemented

+1

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Brano said:

Great this was sorted in IL2 Classic where it was then called "Linda Blair"or exorcist neck. Limiting neck movement is a great step forward ... as would upper body movement and neck movement as a function of G.

9 hours ago, AeroAce said:

The devs will have to be careful with limiting head/neck movements. I can imagine people straining their real life neck using TIR because it is not turning as much as they are used to.

Not really. They just hit a realistic end stop and that’s it. Check six becomes more of 5:30 or 6:30 instead of dead 6.

8 hours ago, sonicapollo said:

Check six becomes more of 5:30 or 6:30 instead of dead 6

Then it will really be 'dead six'😉.

I hope this will somewhen, in not too far future; also count for AI, that they have dead angles, where they don't see other aircrafts or ground targets. Currently they fly, so to speak, with markers on.

The problem is, you can look at your six with the corner of your eye. If you have an inch or two of leeway for your shoulder to turn, the vision gets much better. Looking up seems a bit difficult, but I think you can see as well. How about those jet pilots leaning their heads back and up to check their six in dogfights? I’m looking to my high six right now if I lean my head back (most WWI planes have clear room for you to lean your head back).

At least for Flying Circus, I don’t think it is that simple.