Han

Developer Diary 225 - Discussion

Posted (edited)

I don't usually comment on DD's but this is one of the most interesting for a while, plenty of nuggets of interesting news plus screenies of the Biff and the Tempest cockpit (a complicated mess which I love! 😄 ). Thank you Devs!

With the British summer pilot, should he be wearing that mae west? It's my understanding that it wasn't worn by aircrew based on the continent as they no longer had to cross the Channel. Also he doesn't have any shoulder flashes or rank insignia... I say this while fully aware that the images are w.i.p so I could well be jumping the gun ;).

Edited by HBPencil

41 minutes ago, II./JG1_EmerlistDavjack said:

We also started the research on making the aircraft and ships visible from several times farther distances.

YES. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSS.  This and the ETO maps will finally get me more excited about this game than disappointed by the engine timers.

Unrelated: The American infantry uniforms don't look like the right colors.  The Khaki is too white on the leftmost guy, and the leather is WAY too red on the rightmost guy.    Tan the Khaki a bit (we didn't use white uniforms), and make the red leather more brown.  Yes it was reddish leather, but not THAT much.  The red gloves really drew my eye and not in a good way. 

This seems very good but the rest of this post said "we can't make it at the cost of a significant performance loss in the graphics and network subsystems." so I will take it with a pinch of salt.

👍😄😍👏🤗🤩 Bravo Zulu again devs extra ordinaire 

We also started the research on making the aircraft and ships visible from several times farther distances.

Don't forget Bridges for high level bombing. We need to see them farther than we have.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, AeroAce said:

This seems very good but the rest of this post said "we can't make it at the cost of a significant performance loss in the graphics and network subsystems." so I will take it with a pinch of salt.

A mod has shown it can be done with little impact. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Red_Cat said:

...and it was itchy as hell!

Oh yes...very itchy. We were issued it in the Air Training Corps as cadets...uuuurgh...horrible.

Excellent. Have a nice summer. I hope that you have lower temperatures (or air conditioning) than us here. I had 32 C on the upper floor in my house yesterday which is unbearable. And in Switzerland fixed air conditioning systems for private homes is in general not allowed and you need a permit. 

Posted (edited)

Great news, but you need to find the resources to improve the quality of A8 and Gustav/Kurfurst cockpit for Bondemplatte. We can't have a different quality in the same edition for different aircrafts.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Ah, no hand-dropped bombs for the Cl.II? Well, I expected that. I do hope we eventually get better modelling of fine vs. coarse traverse, and fusing delay errors for the crews of heavy AAA (as that was a problem in RoF). Also, a bit of an update to the flight models to capture the stabilising effects of airflow over the fuselage... one can dream.

But setting that all aside - I'm really excited about the improved fatigue (and possibly panic?) modelling! The attention to detail and revisiting areas to push the boundaries constantly keeps me in awe of these developers!

P.S. I loved 'anthropomorphic control' in Il-2... even though most people hated it. It would be really great to have limits on the ability to reload WWI guns and turn the aircraft at the same time... something like having the aircraft become less responsive while the pilot is trying to reload with their other hand?

It would be great to have a "hands busy" limit on what's happening. It's just a client-side thing, but brings realism to the game. No, you can't shoot, change throttle, mixture and radiator while pulling up and cleaning your glasses, and reaching for the handgun - bombs away!

Thanks for this week's blog post. It strengthens the hopes of a dwindling Rise of Flight multiplayer community. Get us the new map ready, it will make such a difference. Thanks to the entire team!

Edited by J2_Bidu

All sounding great thanks!

Really looking forward to trying out the P-51.

Big thanx for All new you're coming with 

I 'tip my hat ' for that 👍🏼

Now I have my hat in my hands, down ,in front of me 

It would be great if we could hear the engine more wether it's working hard or free running - and FX take more care of throttle and heat ....

🤔😁

17 hours ago, -332FG-Garven said:

The Flying Circus two seaters look fantastic.:good:

Judging by the available crew, I see J2_Trupobaw was the test pilot.

Oh those poor fat observers!!! 😭

16 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I thought this sort of detail would always remain in the 'Wouldn't if be cool if..' category.      I am very excited by this.

I am also excited by the research into extending visibility but I have always known it would have a big hit on performance unless some totally new method was found.    Even if they cannot do it for aircraft, I hope they can do something for ships and buildings (without making distant ground targets stand out unrealistically against the blurred terrain at long range as happens in IL2.)

I imagine the worst are the networking implications, as the drawing part should be impacted little, if the engine gracefully decreases the detail to be handled with the increasing distance, focusing on rendering the main structural parts and gradually discarding detail (there should be some "priority" on the parts to be drawn).

I have no idea of the specifics of the Digital Warfare Engine. Would love to know more (...that is not commercial secret of course).

• Haha 1

Halberstadt and Bristol Fighter looks amazing :) 

You know its not reported on much, but I will be looking forward to English & American RT Voices. No longer will Thunderbolt, P-39’s, A-20’s & Spitfire pilots be speaking in Russian,esp. noticeable in Scripted Missions like “Jabos”.I know its probably impossible to hope for but wouldn’t it be cool if these new voices could have different accents or dialects from different parts of their respective countries.

34 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I know its probably impossible to hope for but wouldn’t it be cool if these new voices could have different accents or dialects from different parts of their respective countries.

I think they are actually implementing it, because Jason has been looking for people with different dialects to record those radio messages.

5 hours ago, Blitzen said:

You know its not reported on much, but I will be looking forward to English & American RT Voices. No longer will Thunderbolt, P-39’s, A-20’s & Spitfire pilots be speaking in Russian,esp. noticeable in Scripted Missions like “Jabos”.I know its probably impossible to hope for but wouldn’t it be cool if these new voices could have different accents or dialects from different parts of their respective countries.

They should have several different accents based upon the number of voice actors the team was originally looking for. I don’t think they quite got their numbers but a fair number of community members stepped up.

I wish they would look for a spanish guy as well. If they are going to record these voices maybe they could do everything at once. New german ones would be nice, russian as well. And we have spanish squadron in moscow, it would be awesome if they would actually speak spanish. I loved it in 1946 where you had all kind of diffrent countries and pilots would speak their language. There was also 302 polish fighter squadron in area of bodenplatte, would be cool to have them (and polish voices) in the game.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Putting effort into Pilot fatigue seems a strange use of resources when issues like Engine timers (engine fatigue?) are the real blight in the sim at the moment imo ! Engine timers and their seemingly random application is a far bigger immersion killer than some dreamed up pilot fatigue routine.

As to pilot fatigue a slippery slope I think. What is the intent of this ? To limit pilots ability to pull G after X applications etc ? Not going to be an issue for your average fit fighter pilot. We are only talking about short duration pulls to at best maybe 7-8G. Most sustained applications (in WWII types) will be in the order 4-5G. Even multiple applications is not going to bother a fit fighter pilot. Sitting on your arse for 3 Hours into and out of the target would be more fatiguing than a few G applications ! Are the devs going to include G suit as a Mod on the US types then factor that into the "fatigue" model?. Is the FW190 seating position going to be taken into account ? Is the ineffective P38 cockpit heating going to be factored in ? Is pilot pre flight activity going to be factored in. Pilot fatigue is not a simple thing imo it will be a real immersion killer.

Even as moderately fit 63 year old I regularly pull 5G multiple times without any fatigue ! A big night on the turps before is more fatiguing than a few G pulls.

If the devs want to work on fatigue then better imo to concentrate on structural damage to the airframe based on G/Weight. Take into account rolling G (asymmetrical G) if you really Over G the aeroplane especially rolling then bend the aeroplane in the sim have a handling/performance issue etc. TD did this quite effectively in IL2 classic.

Edited by Bert_Foster
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

The nice thing about modeliung G fatigue is that it has been tested and publicaly documented more than any plane in the sim. The devs should have all they need to get it right.

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 3:02 PM, Novice-Flyer said:

Where are the gunners for the Halberstadt and Bristol 

They didn't want to make the transition from ROF to FC. :P 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Haha 6

On 6/28/2019 at 10:44 PM, AlienAlienzo said:

That is not only a news about technical update guys. This is a kind of pre-news of Pacific stuff!!! 💗

PS: I'm the first which saw it, give me a key or discount for Pacific for this. 

I've worked out you! 😄

I hope so, i'm glad devs listen to their playerbase, i did post several times and suggested about ship rendering problem we have now and how it would affect PTO where search and patrol was winning factor.

Thank you devs!

8 hours ago, Bert_Foster said:

Putting effort into Pilot fatigue seems a strange use of resources when issues like Engine timers (engine fatigue?) are the real blight in the sim at the moment imo ! Engine timers and their seemingly random application is a far bigger immersion killer than some dreamed up pilot fatigue routine.

As to pilot fatigue a slippery slope I think. What is the intent of this ? To limit pilots ability to pull G after X applications etc ? Not going to be an issue for your average fit fighter pilot. We are only talking about short duration pulls to at best maybe 7-8G. Most sustained applications (in WWII types) will be in the order 4-5G. Even multiple applications is not going to bother a fit fighter pilot. Sitting on your arse for 3 Hours into and out of the target would be more fatiguing than a few G applications ! Are the devs going to include G suit as a Mod on the US types then factor that into the "fatigue" model?. Is the FW190 seating position going to be taken into account ? Is the ineffective P38 cockpit heating going to be factored in ? Is pilot pre flight activity going to be factored in. Pilot fatigue is not a simple thing imo it will be a real immersion killer.

Even as moderately fit 63 year old I regularly pull 5G multiple times without any fatigue ! A big night on the turps before is more fatiguing than a few G pulls.

If the devs want to work on fatigue then better imo to concentrate on structural damage to the airframe based on G/Weight. Take into account rolling G (asymmetrical G) if you really Over G the aeroplane especially rolling then bend the aeroplane in the sim have a handling/performance issue etc. TD did this quite effectively in IL2 classic.

Patience is a virtue. It has already been said that the subject with the engines will be looked at and changed. So patience.
As far as the G-forces and pilots fatigue is concerned, I just would wait before complaining about it. Because it has only been announced and we don't know how it will be implemented. Just look at it positively, that many things are revised and many new things are added.

😮

What the...

Is it a real in-game footage??? The particle effects (smokes) looks really... gorgeous!

This game (Tank Crew) is a candidate to best-climate tank game now! 

Wait... is there a smoke sneaking over ground?

Holy God...

😍

_Cmp_Ger.jpg

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2019 at 7:40 PM, Han said:

Prelude to IL-2 Sturmovik: Pacific War?

a2d2428a53ae41638027fceb93511299.jpg

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, PL_Andrev said:

😮

What the...

Is it a real in-game footage??? The particle effects (smokes) looks really... gorgeous!

This game (Tank Crew) is a candidate to best-climate tank game now! 

Wait... is there a smoke sneaking over ground?

Holy God...

😍

I have to disappoint you.

They used in-game tank models for the artwork. It's all Photoshop or another piece of software to create these two tank images.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Bert_Foster said:

I may be reaching for a conclusion that is not yet quite nailed down by the evidence (ok - I'm guessing...!), but the dev's intention to introduce refuel/repair/re-arm into the sim may be more than coincidentally related to their admission to be looking at alternatives to the engine timer mechanics.

To remove, or loosen, the current timer-based limits without bringing in some other way to portray effects of increased engine wear/damage could be viewed as arguably less realistic than what we have now - possibly would leave everyone flying around at 100% power all the time.

What I'm hoping is going to happen is that the timers get removed, but instead there is code that monitors engine use and abuse during a mission. Then when the aircraft lands, if its engine 'limits' have been badly exceeded the repair/refuel/rearm module may decide that a full engine strip-down and repair is required. This could mean that the pilot is unable to fly in the next mission, or for some set period of time. This could affect both campaign missions and multiplayer/online, though with different implementations. (Quick missions probably not, but don't think anyone would care here)

So, i'm hoping the refuel/repair/rearm option will also be the solution to much complained about engine timers.   

13 hours ago, Bert_Foster said:

Much as I appreciate the team’s efforts, this strikes me as a slippery slope which is  most likely to cause endless arguments and please no-one. I hope it is bottom of the priority list.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Much as I appreciate the team’s efforts, this strikes me as a slippery slope which is  most likely to cause endless arguments and please no-one. I hope it is bottom of the priority list.

Give that they're doing it before RRR, I certainly hope not!

On 6/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, Freycinet said:

That title-art image of the Russian tanks is just.... Art!

you must be confused, the Tiger is a German tank :P 

2 hours ago, FlyingNutcase said:

Give that they're doing it before RRR, I certainly hope not!

RRR?

All I can say is I can't wait to see what the Devs bring to the table for us next.  There is a lot of work going on and it will be quite interesting to see how it changes the sim from its current iteration.  Seeing large objects from further away will be great be it a flight of bombers or ships and I also look forward to seeing if there are improvements with ground based objects be they inf vehicles or other ground objects with which we attack or defend pending on the mission.

Also seeing how this translates in VR.

Also waiting to jump into the Tempest and see how she flies. 😊

Any chance of making a Hawker Hurricane in the future? I'm pretty just some of those were lent to the Russians. A DO-17 for the German side would be nice too. By the way, I just tried out IL2 in VR the past couple days with a Samsung Odyssey, fabulous!!

23 minutes ago, onlyforbrian said:

Any chance of making a Hawker Hurricane in the future? I'm pretty just some of those were lent to the Russians. A DO-17 for the German side would be nice too. By the way, I just tried out IL2 in VR the past couple days with a Samsung Odyssey, fabulous!!

I see the word Hurricane I link this poll! 

:)  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

RRR?

Refuel, Rearm, Repair

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2019 at 1:40 AM, Han said:

In addition to the models, we're working on the important features like more detailed pilot's physiology effects. Fatigue caused by a high G stress, (in)ability to bail out and other such things.

The Flying Circus 2-seaters are looking great and are much needed.

@AnPetrovich Given the statement above re G force stress, will G forces impact/limit the FC rear gunner's ability to shoot?  It's something that has been requested for a while.

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

RRR?

Repair, Refuel, Refit, enabling one to have a seamless in-game experience between sorties instead of needing to exit and re-enter an on-going game after each flight.

Edited by FlyingNutcase

3 hours ago, FlyingNutcase said:

Repair, Refuel, Refit, enabling one to have a seamless in-game experience between sorties instead of needing to exit and re-enter an on-going game after each flight.

It'll be a massive improvement to the co-op game mode as well, as taking damage early is no longer "I'll guess I'll get a drink while everyone else has fun"

3 hours ago, FlyingNutcase said:

Refit ?? Rearm 

• Upvote 1