Han

Developer Diary 225 - Discussion

At the moment we're moving to a newer FMOD version and our sound designer converts all the sounds to the newer sound engine. The main result of this work should be a fix of the disappearing sounds issue after playing for a while that was caused by having too many of them.

aw hell yes!

"After that, we'll get to repairing, refueling and refitting the aircraft on the ground." 

I am supper excited for this^ and I have been wishing for it's implementation ever since I started playing (esp. because it's in so many other sims). However, as this feature nears I am forced to wonder how it will be implemented. And when it is, given the choice between respawning with a full loadout or waiting for a ground crew to repear/rearm my plane, what is a player likely to do. IMO, an average player is likely to pick whatever lets him get back into the battle faster, and I have a gut feeling that will be to finish flight and start with a new plane. Another worry for me is that, lets say a player goes out on 3, 4, 5 missions repairing between sorties. this player gets X number of ground kills, or X number of air kills. After so many successful flight said pilot is shot down, captured, or killed. That pilots score multiplier will be completely destroyed in a way it wouldn't have if the pilot had finished mission between sorties instead. Imagine a similar situation in a TAW campaign, flying X sorties but only one (or none)"mission" based on the game logic. I think there will need to be some new game mechanic added as an incentive to rearm/refuel. Maybe a score multiplier every time you come home and rearm? I suppose server admins could always way up the time it take to finish a mission, so it could be balanced that way. anyway, maybe I'm over thinking over nothing... I'm curious to hear what others think, and what multiplayer mission makers might to to implement and balance this coming feature.

Supper excited to hear the sound bug is getting crushed, and doubly so to hear about the possibility of increased draw distance by "several times" 

Fantastic work Devs! I can't wait to see how the game progresses.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

In addition to the models, we're working on the important features like more detailed pilot's physiology effects. Fatigue caused by a high G stress, (in)ability to bail out and other such things. After that, we'll get to repairing, refueling and refitting the aircraft on the ground. 

I thought this sort of detail would always remain in the 'Wouldn't if be cool if..' category.      I am very excited by this.

I am also excited by the research into extending visibility but I have always known it would have a big hit on performance unless some totally new method was found.    Even if they cannot do it for aircraft, I hope they can do something for ships and buildings (without making distant ground targets stand out unrealistically against the blurred terrain at long range as happens in IL2.)

1 hour ago, Sharpe43 said:

That RAF summer uniform is kind of weird, especially as photo material also showns RAF pilots wearing Army Battledress. I take it the US army officer's uniform is also still WIP? 

the-rake-shorts-02.jpg

British Summer Uniform is weird? Blimey mate!

• Haha 3

Some big ticket items we're been wanting for years in this dev update awesome!

13 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

the-rake-shorts-02.jpg

British Summer Uniform is weird? Blimey mate!

large_000000.jpg

Royal_Air_Force-_2nd_Tactical_Air_Force,_1943-1945._CL550.jpg

• Like 1

What the heck is Jason feeding you guys, the rate of progress is incredible right now. Awesome stuff.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Great DD!

I would love to see some dynamic ammunition fires and cook-offs in Tank Crew. Interior effects after shell penetration would also be much appreciated. Love your work! 😁

That a six pack of beer on the right side of the Tempest?  Kind of handy with the flushable seat pan, no wonder it's so loved. 

The four soldiers on the left side of the line need to have their hands lifted a bit higher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We also started the research on making the aircraft and ships visible from several times farther distances.

That is not only a news about technical update guys. This is a kind of pre-news of Pacific stuff!!! 💗

PS: I'm the first which saw it, give me a key or discount for Pacific for this. 

I've worked out you! 😄

Edited by AlienAlienzo
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

The figures are looking very lifelike. Hoping their movements will (eventually) do them justice. Not the Walking Dead like gait they've had before. Top notch update, as usual.

Edited by Rjel
Grammer

Great DD guys! Next DD Mustang near completion and new engine system without timers😝

Posted (edited)

This is fantastic news! Such a small team and you still keep pushing this game further and further, for so many years already!

Edited by Knipser

Heel slide plates in Tempest cockpit are too close together, otherwise looks promissing....

This also means we started the work on the Career mode for it that will be called Battle of Rheinland. Starting on September 17th, 1944 and ending on April 1st, 1945, it will include several new mission types characteristic for this timeframe on the Western front. All the required information - squadron histories and emblems, pilot biographies, awards, news, etc.

This is the best bit of news I have heard in years. Finally an offline career that I actually want to fly! Thank you to all the IL2 crew, I am definitely looking forward to this.

• Like 1

The Tempest is going to be awesome. The punch of the 4x 20mm alone will be worth it, and then the speed. I am going to be really excited.

• Like 2

I am glad they found the soundbug. 

The Pz IV looks great.

I am very curious about the BP map, if I understand well there should be some parts of the Netherlands on it. 

Are there plans to see the bullet holes and module damage  inside the tanks ? (not the bloody things) 

And I hope you will add a way to let one of the crew do the job of a killed crewman. 

The good news just a keeps on a coming!

4k external textures look great, thank you Martin.

Thank you very much team/teams.

:salute:

Love the Tempest cockpit WIP, excited for Tank Crew campaign this September. Just 2 questions: 

1. What's the status of the P-51?

2. Where are the gunners for the Halberstadt and Bristol _Halb_3.thumb.jpg.a9b945297a826f42b05929cd3e2e2f16.jpg

_Brist_3.thumb.jpg.63dd8e657a26cb17d97faf073db60411.jpg

11 minutes ago, pa4tim said:

I am very curious about the BP map, if I understand well there should be some parts of the Netherlands on it. 

Most of the Netherlands is more likely; 

from dev diary 218:

Antwerp
The Hauge
Liege
Frankfurt am Main
Dortmund
Münster
Cologne (Köln)
Bonn
Gent
Rotterdam
Charleroi
Amsterdam
Düsseldorf
Aachen
Bruxelles
Arnhem
Duisburg
Essen
Apeldoorn
Maastricht

Or, from Amsterdam in the North, to Apeldoorn in the east down to Maastricht in the south..

11 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

2. Where are the gunners for the Halberstadt and Bristol 

They were photographers too... most likely taking selfies back at base. No worries, they will put away the iPhones for the next mission.

• Haha 2

Epic DD :yahoo:

Awesome on so many different levels.

Much to look forward to.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

The eagle they used is also a Luftwaffe eagle not a HEER one.

I believe these are meant to be the Luftwaffe troops that wander around our airbases

Great update, so much to droool over!

some nice stuff coming along .... be nice if the structural effects of over G was in there too :)

1 hour ago, pa4tim said:

I am glad they found the soundbug. 

The Pz IV looks great.

Are there plans to see the bullet holes and module damage  inside the tanks ? (not the bloody things) 

And I hope you will add a way to let one of the crew do the job of a killed crewman. 

Spoiler

Map.jpg

newer version

Spoiler

BOBP_Map_with_Codenames.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sharpe43 said:

Or, from Amsterdam in the North, to Apeldoorn in the east down to Maastricht in the south..

Great, I live in the middle. 

5 hours ago, Sharpe43 said:

That RAF summer uniform is kind of weird, especially as photo material also shows RAF pilots wearing Army Battledress. 

The RAF were issued with essentially the same battle dress as the army except the RAF's were blue and the army's was khaki.

• Like 2

Ah, no hand-dropped bombs for the Cl.II? Well, I expected that. I do hope we eventually get better modelling of fine vs. coarse traverse, and fusing delay errors for the crews of heavy AAA (as that was a problem in RoF). Also, a bit of an update to the flight models to capture the stabilising effects of airflow over the fuselage... one can dream.

But setting that all aside - I'm really excited about the improved fatigue (and possibly panic?) modelling! The attention to detail and revisiting areas to push the boundaries constantly keeps me in awe of these developers!

P.S. I loved 'anthropomorphic control' in Il-2... even though most people hated it. It would be really great to have limits on the ability to reload WWI guns and turn the aircraft at the same time... something like having the aircraft become less responsive while the pilot is trying to reload with their other hand?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Look at that profile. 

I mean, just LOOK at that! 

Is that the most beautiful thing ever?  So perfectly streamlined to cut right through the air so effortlessly.  The absolute APEX of aeronautical design I tell ya!  

She and I will kill many things.  Oh yes, we will...

😍

_Halb_1.jpg

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 2

Hey nice update and much appreciated!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Is that the most beautiful thing ever? 

It will look beautiful as it lights on fire in the twilight, following the row of smoking holes put into it by a Sopwith Camel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

The RAF were issued with essentially the same battle dress as the army except the RAF's were blue and the army's was khaki.

...and it was itchy as hell!

Great DD - so many nice things in it! :good:

Edited by Red_Cat

Tempest 😍😍. What a beauty it will be, I'd wager it'll be the best of the allied mounts.

Posted (edited)

We also started the research on making the aircraft and ships visible from several times farther distances.

YES. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSS.  This and the ETO maps will finally get me more excited about this game than disappointed by the engine timers.

Unrelated: The American infantry uniforms don't look like the right colors.  The Khaki is too white on the leftmost guy, and the leather is WAY too red on the rightmost guy.    Tan the Khaki a bit (we didn't use white uniforms), and make the red leather more brown.  Yes it was reddish leather, but not THAT much.  The red gloves really drew my eye and not in a good way. 

Edited by II./JG1_EmerlistDavjack
  • Upvote 1

I totally need to get FC now with the brisfit on the way. Loved that plane in rof