pa4tim

steering the ju-52/3m while taxi/take off

How must I set the controls (binding) so I can steer this plane without loosing control over the outside motors ?

Normally I have the brakes on the left and right arrow keys and to the rudder axis. That works well for all my planes but not for the JU-52. It does not brake but turns down the throttle from engine 2 and 3 (the middle is 1) as soon as I use the rudder the first time. If I then use a brake arrow key or the rudder, one off the motor revs to full throttle. The other stays idle. And there is no way to get all 3 motors at the same RPM. Only number 1 and depending the rudder the left or right motor. 

If I unbind the rudder  axis from the brakes and use the arrow keys I have the same problem. 

If I unbind the left/right brakes complete all motors work fine but I can do not more as turning circles on the strip. 

I watched some videos how to fly it, read some PDFs but nobody tells how they bind the brakes for this plane.

Is my plane defect, Monday morning model or is this a warranty claim ? 😀

Edit: I just finished the QM before typing this. I want to do some more tests but now the software does not want to go on. I can highlite a menu but nothing happens.

Edited by pa4tim

That is how the brakes work. Too eager with the brakes and you loose control. I do wrong first time if I have flown it little. 

Do not know what I do but second attempt always successful. 

That is here not the case. I have no problem steering with brakes in any other plane. The problem is there is no brake action, only unwanted throttle action/manipulation. The throttle should brake under 20%  but the levers refuse to go lower, there is no braking. Instead the motor that should do the braking goes to full throttle, the other stays at idle. If I do not brake or use rudder I have the middle motor at full throttle and the other 2 at idle RPM

It should be 3 engines at the same RPM and if I had 3 throttle units I should pull on lever down to under 20% throttle to brake.

But I have only one throttle unit and as far as I know from things I could find, the plane is modeled to brake with the toe-brakes like other planes do. 

Solved it.

Typical problem that would be solved easy with a manual about the plane and controls instead of me trying things for 3 hours.... I binded brakes and rudder axis because I did not know the airplanes already have that "internal" arranged (I think) because I removed the binding and now it works normal for the ju-52 and still works on other planes. So that binding only seems to mess up things for this plane (and maybe did more because I also had to restart the computer because IL-2 crashed)

Edited by pa4tim

Turns out I did not solve it.

There are planes (like the HE129) that need the rudder axis binded to the brakes to steer while others seem to have that done already in the model "firmware" or maybe it looks like that if they have enough rudder authority at slow speed.  I really wish they made a serious controls manual. But I seem to be the only one so I probably do things wrong.

If I use the brakes separate, so hold rudder on the joystick twistgrip and use the L and R button on the keyboard at the same time for a left or right brake it does work but it is far from convenient.  I have now binded brakes to rudder again and only play the JU52 with an air-start. But it is strange that if I combine axis and keyboard in the settings it does not work, while if I combine them manually it does work. 

The stupid thing is the 52 three throttles go synced on my hotas until I use the rudder/brake binding. Then the outer levers go both to 20%, the middle stays binded to the hotas throttle axis. One of the outer levers goes to 100% if I give some rudder+brake. The only way to reset this is to go to settings, do nothing, accept and go back to the game. Now I can use 3 engines on the combined throttle axis as long as I do not use rudder but then I can only drive circles. 

Edited by pa4tim

In the JU52 do not use pedal breaks as it will bug the game causing the engines to be stuck in idle mode. And for me the only way to get out of idle mode is to hit esc to bring up the menu and close it. Then engine control is returned. So do not use pedal brakes at anytime on the ground to prevent this.

For the JU52 have a button set for engaging wheel brakes together and two forms of throttle control for left/right engines as throttle below 25% is how braking works in the 52. 

When taking off it is best to hold the wheel brakes briefly while placing throttle at full then releasing the brakes to provide as much air to the tail as possible. There are several take off methods however that is what I prefer to do.

Also having a separate control for the stabilizer is important during flight to keep it level. I do not use the flap and stabilizer combo Much at all because it can royally ruin your day very easily. Plus the stabilizer is suppose to be set before/during take off anyway.

That is the same as in my case. It should not be possible because I do nothing to the throttle. I think they inverted some loop value because now the outside throttle levers go down . And if you give rudder they go up. That should be the other way around. They should be up and go down while braking.

I have used my arrow keys for brakes. (down=both brakes , left/richt = left/right and up is nosewheel brake) 

For the JU52 have a button set for engaging wheel brakes together and two forms of throttle control for left/right engines 

I do not understand how I must do the two forms of throttle control. I have a Thrustmaster T16000M joystick and the (single)throttle unit that comes with it.

At the moment I only use it with an air spawn. Strange enough the brake/throttle behaviour goes away after take off. 

I have separate stabilizer keys. I have not used them for the ju52. I think I must use that on more planes. I'm just used to do it manual with the stick and for longer times I use the vertical auto pilot. (I like to look at all te meters and control the engine by hand in non-combat situations.)

You can taxi/takeoff in the Ju-52 using the same controls as you would with a Russian fighter.  One throttle/brake key/rudder control.  Throttle up to get moving then use the Russian brake key and rudder to turn or no rudder for both brakes on full.  No extra bindings needed.  The ju-52 throttles will move up and down on their own as needed.

Once you get moving, you can steer pretty well with just the rudder.

Edited by Plurp