6 hours ago, Tapi said:

Hope the nVidia comes with RTX 3xxx generation next year and hopefully with the simiar price as today 2080Ti.

I think both parts of this statement are wildly optimistic. 

1 hour ago, 9./JG52_Sturm said:

I think both parts of this statement are wildly optimistic. 

Well, may be. But RTX 2xxx series was released 9/2018 so imho it is not unrealistic to expect RTX 3xxx on 9/2020. And as for the prices, I do not think the new generation will be reasonably more expensive that the already very pricey 2xxx series. Yes there was a big step between the prices of 1xxx and 2xxx but that was because the new tech (ray tracing) was implented for the first time.  I do not think nVidia would repeat such a giant step in price politics again in the near future...

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Well, may be. But RTX 2xxx series was released 9/2018 so imho it is not unrealistic to expect RTX 3xxx on 9/2020. And as for the prices, I do not think the new generation will be reasonably more expensive that the already very pricey 2xxx series. Yes there was a big step between the prices of 1xxx and 2xxx but that was because the new tech (ray tracing) was implented for the first time.  I do not think nVidia would repeat such a giant step in price politics again in the near future...

Though the GTX 10xx series was first launched in 5/2016 so not sure your pattern follows :)

With the Nvidia 3080Ti we will be able to run Il2 with Ray Tracing at 1080p all for a measly $2500.00 USD🤣

On 8/25/2019 at 2:01 AM, ICDP said:

I'm not speaking for everyone but I most certainly didn't claim VR was shit and a waste of time.

It's not you I'm taking issue with, IDCP. You're cogent, thoughtful, add to a discussion (including this one), and are a credit to the community with your contributions both to the forums and to the game as a whole. S!

On 8/25/2019 at 2:01 AM, ICDP said:

I should also remind you that nobody gets to claim a thread or sub forum for you and only people like you.  If the moderators decide any content is not in the right place they will move it.  This is not an echo chamber where anyone who dares to claim VR is not all that (or shit for that matter) is banned from entering.

To be fair, that's not at all what I said. I said repeatedly shitting on VR in general in VR threads is a waste of time. Certain folks here seem to have nothing better to do than load up the VR forum, spout a variation of "I tried VR and ditched it, it's shit, call me when we have 8k x 8k resolution per eye", and don't contribute anything to the discussion. That's what I take issue with. I think it's completely reasonable for me to ask why they bother. It would be a bit of a leap for me to suggest people should be barred from entering the forum or discussing VR. I'm asking why they bother when their only contribution is to shit on the tech.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, blitze said:

With the Nvidia 3080Ti we will be able to run Il2 with Ray Tracing at 1080p all for a measly $2500.00 USD🤣

Sad but yes. It's nvidias playground and seems price development is only limited by the number of potential customers ditching pc gaming altogether in favor of a playstation.

Amd save us.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Alonzo said:

To be fair, that's not at all what I said. I said repeatedly shitting on VR in general in VR threads is a waste of time. Certain folks here seem to have nothing better to do than load up the VR forum, spout a variation of "I tried VR and ditched it, it's shit, call me when we have 8k x 8k resolution per eye", and don't contribute anything to the discussion. That's what I take issue with. I think it's completely reasonable for me to ask why they bother. It would be a bit of a leap for me to suggest people should be barred from entering the forum or discussing VR. I'm asking why they bother when their only contribution is to shit on the tech.

To be honest I sat on the VR fence for quite a while.  Whilst not 8k per eye and not even 4k per eye (at least not native and also Pentile not stripped RGB panels but that was the tech that was working at the time) the Chinese wonderfully marketed 8K isn't too bad.

Trick is to have the environment to run it at SS 5k x 5k per or greater.  I say environment as 4K panels, real ones would be a great help but also stable software where one can use technologies that help ease the rendering requirements  so it is only the Sweet Spot rendering at the equivalent of 5k x 5k or more but then stepping down on the outer view in a nice way.

People who have tried Fixed Foreated Rendering at less than 5k x 5k complain about the obvious pixelation of the image on the outer segments of the rendered step down.  If you run it at the afore mentioned resolution or higher - the rendered stepping is not pixelated and actually blends well with the capabilities of the Large FOV designed Lenses the HMD employs.  If we could have native - non scaled 4K per eye panels in the same headset (to arrive later this year I hear), then with decent hardware and software, you could probably run 8K per eye with Foreated Rendering and have a pretty darn good image.

It is like the new sharpening filters that AMD and Nvidia are supplying in their software drivers.  Unfortunately with Nvidia, you have to install the Gaming Ready Package and that runs VR like molasses but the idea is you can run 4K, scale it down 75% so it's rendering 1800p and then use a sharpen filter to bring back detail.  Pseudo native 4K but with better frames, another limitation with Nvidia's implementation is that games have to be listed with their software but they do the sharpening on a sliding scale for each supported game so you can tweak the visuals.

A good description here and the death of DLSS

Anyway, better image quality will require a number of software tricks as well as hardware to bring us the next leg up in eye candy which will aid in image fidelity and spotting.  This will be for both 2D and VR.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alonzo said:

It's not you I'm taking issue with, IDCP. You're cogent, thoughtful, add to a discussion (including this one), and are a credit to the community with your contributions both to the forums and to the game as a whole. S!

🥰

A brief reflection after 3 weeks with the Index when compared to the Rift CV1. 

You can can see the SDE but it is a surprise when you notice it as most of the time you don’t. It is subtle too as it is coloured in. 

There are god rays but way way less and in-cockpit I haven’t noticed any at all. 

2 lighthouses is best. I found that with just 1 that it greyed out if I looked behind me for a few seconds. 

There is a sweet spot in terms of comfort and FOV. What I mean is that you crank the lenses in but it hurts as the frame presses on your head. 

When it was hot in my room I noticed the HMD getting warm. But that was in a room at 28C so pretty hot anyway. 

The sound is great. More definition to it. 

Setup is easy.  140% ss and locked at 80hz.  I have an extension with a switch on it so I only turn it all on when I need to. The only niggle is that you have to start Steam VR for the pc to notice the HMD for the purposes of sound device enablement. 

The only change in game was dropping from

ultra to high. I also disabled Coconut’s cloud mod as that really impacted on FPS. Different systems need different settings etc. 

I dont notice any any improvement in comfort. Any improvement is reduced by the added weight. I tried moving my head around with both on - both lag but the Index weight makes it a touch more obvious. 

Clarity is very much improved. Spotting is a lot easier in multiplayer. I keep gamma at 1.2 as to me that gives a more realistic look to terrain and other aircraft. 

The knuckles controllers are fantastic. For 5 minutes. Then you forget about them.

I had the wow moment with the CV1 - the Index is more of an “Ooooh”. Overall it brings a combination of incremental improvements and a quite bit better image that to me makes it well worth the upgrade.  

If you only play flight sims you can forget the controllers and save a pile of cash. With them it is less worth the expense. 

Just my thoughts. 

von Tom

Edited by von_Tom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@von Tom: what graphic card do you have?

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Tapi said:

@von Tom: what graphic card do you have?

Thanks.

2080Ti

Different systems need different settings to get decent fps of course.

von Tom

15 hours ago, Marvel said:

Hi guys, someone has ever bought the Reverb here on amazon?  https://www.amazon.com/HP-Reverb-Virtual-Reality-Headset/dp/B07R768KJP

Ciao!

Marco

Oh my God! I badly wrong the place to post my request.... I apologize for my mistake! Could an admin move my post here, please?:

Thanks for your reply Jarg1!

Ciao!

Marco

Edited by Marvel

On 9/9/2019 at 7:27 PM, jarg1 said:

Yes, I got mine there.

Jarg1 How long did you wait from order to receipt item?

Ciao!

M

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

Jarg1 How long did you wait from order to receipt item?

Ciao!

M

I ordered it in April but it didn't arrive until July, probably because of the initial quality concerns.  I would imagine ship times are much quicker now, and looking at the listing it shows next day delivery now in the US.

I am used to play IL2-BoX with my Vive (aside: 1080×1200 90Hz 110° FoV). I cannot distiguish between enemy and friend up to ~500m with is 45% lack of skill, 45% resolution 10% blindness. Btw: I was using the zoom.

Could you let me know about your experience with regards to details and resolution with the Index? I am considering swapping. Can only tell from pictures as the step forward is obvious from HTC Vive but I would like to know how far. Have no chance to test the Index before buying.

It’s certainly better than what you have , and visually comparable to the Vive pro with the lens mod.  I think the question is more time and money.  I don’t see anything to eclipse this current high end visual standard for at least a year.  Do you want to wait a year?   If the answer is no, then it’s down to the price of a index or hedge your bet and get a rift S ( I have no first hand experience with it but I have heard it’s decent) or something cheaper.

I am a VR enthusiast so I will always buy and use the latest and greatest, I have no regrets in this but I would not advise anyone as to how much a dollar is worth to them.  VR flying is one of my happy life pursuits, I am happy to spend on it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kinjo said:

I cannot distiguish between enemy and friend up to ~500m

It is difficult to judge these things since everyone has their own visual acuity, but I took some pictures with the Index (and REverb) for A-20B at 400 and 750 meters with no zoom.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/53603-valve-index-vs-hp-reverb-through-the-lens-pictures/

At 400 you can identify it quite well, and 750m with the Reverb it is also well defined, and with the Index is a bit less defined, so it is a guess.

Definitely it is a worth upgrade going from Vive to Index, you gain is many aspects, not only ID but FOV, sweet spot, audio, etc. Reverb is also a good choice.

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Thanks 1

I wasn’t thinking about the fact that you already have the lighthouse sensors, so you could get into an index at a fairly decent price.  Sell your Vive for some small amount and you might be in pretty good shape.

Edited by WIS-Redcoat
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

At 400 you can identify it quite well, and 750m with the Reverb it is also well defined, and with the Index is a bit less defined, so it is a guess.

A lot of identifying is almost instinctive or subconscious even, so your brain takes in twin engine and single tail but long nose and comes up with A20.  Even a few pixels can help immeasurably with this.

You could do what some of my squad mates do, call everything an enemy (even me) and shoot at it.

von Tom

5 hours ago, von_Tom said:

A lot of identifying is almost instinctive or subconscious even, so your brain takes in twin engine and single tail but long nose and comes up with A20.  Even a few pixels can help immeasurably with this

But even in real life pilot were having a hard time always. The fear/stress/fatigue of the pilot together with bad visibility/night/clouds can produce  big mistakes.

In the "Spitfire Pilot" book from David Crook, he describes how he was shooting down a Bristol Blenheim thinking it was a Ju-88!!:

test.jpg.6fe26efd6df45c04cf32c512031cb05d.jpg

The Blenheim is this one:

blenheim.jpg.3f020837d75b22594700527c27dc4d82.jpg

But If you have this one below at a distance, do you think is a Blenheim or a Ju-88?

Junkers_Ju_88_in_flight.thumb.jpg.4793928749afdaa11ccedc3c603a4840.jpg

The more you play the easier it is.  We have some many resources to get used to identifying aircraft.  It is much easier than in reality and the extra pixels help crystallise the instinctive recognition.

Doesn't stop my squad mates from shooting at me though...

von Tom