Posted (edited)

It has arrived!  I will unbox it as soon as I can and give my impressions.

Edited by WIS-Redcoat
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

I used my new Index for a couples days and here are my thoughts.

Background:  Using VR for several years, Oculus Rift, Odyssey, Pimax 5K (for thirty minutes) and Vive Pro w/ Lens Mod (my former mainstay device).  My computer is a i7-7000 cpu and 2080ti.

Comfort and build quality:  Simply the best.  Reminds me of my old oculus Rift only better

Software:  Very easy to use and totally integrated into Steam VR (obviously).  I never even had to change the sound device to the headset, it just does it. 

Visuals:  Coming from the Vive pro I didn't expect a huge upgrade, and thus it looked nearly identical to me.  I was hoping to be surprised but it simply looked about the same. 

Lens:  Sweet spot is huge, nothing like the horrible stock Vive pro lenses.

FOV:  Slightly larger, but not earth shattering.  I have bug eyes and long eyelashes so I couldn't get the lenses as close as possible.

Controllers:  I know this is not important for IL2, but these controllers are amazing.

Blacks and glare:  Much has been made on this.  The blacks didn't seem to bother me at all, but there is glare on black screens with text (which unfortunately is the home screen).  I never really ever saw it in game though, so that fear seemed far removed.

Performance:  I ran it on ultra settings (il2) and the headset at 100% SS and 120 hrtz.  Performance was just as good as the Vive pro and maybe even better, which surprised me.  I havent fiddled with settings yet so more on that later.

Buy it?   Honestly it depends on you.  I have no regrets and find the refinements very nice.  It was worth the money to me.  I simply hated the complexity and clunkiness of the VivePro but the image was really nice.  So in some ways I paid a lot of money for the exact same image, which feels a bit pyrrhic.  That said, I do love it.  OH!  and the IPD is perfect again!!!!  ( I hated that about the VivePro).

If you do not intend to ever use the controllers and $1000 is a lot of money to you; I would maybe look at cheaper options because you can get the same screen at a far cheaper price.

Cheers

Redcoat

Edited by WIS-Redcoat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

Posted (edited)

Thank you for this review! And can you tell something about overheating of Index? One reviewer on YouTube told, that temperature of the HMD was very high so even his eyeballs felt it.

Edited by Hitze

Thanks for the review.
Right now i have the Pimax 5K+ 2 Basestations and the index controllers on their way to my place.
I was thinking about switching to the index because of maybe less screendoor and also acceptable FOV.
After everything that i read about the index i will probably stick to my 5K+.

1 hour ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

I have bug eyes and long eyelashes so I couldn't get the lenses as close as possible.

That can be fixed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hitze said:

Thank you for this review! And can you tell something about overheating of Index? One reviewer on YouTube told, that temperature of the HMD was very high so even his eyeballs felt it.

I didn't notice it being "hot", but before I was using the VivePro with an over ear headphone so this seems far better (vive audio was horrible).

One thing I didn't mention, and this is sort of a big deal.  The audio and audio "comfort" with this headset is remarkable.  Not wearing a headphone and not feeling anything on my ear is really cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

I didn't notice it being "hot", but before I was using the VivePro with an over ear headphone so this seems far better (vive audio was horrible).

One thing I didn't mention, and this is sort of a big deal.  The audio and audio "comfort" with this headset is remarkable.  Not wearing a headphone and not feeling anything on my ear is really cool.

I hope they will soon offer the index Headstrap as separate part so i can replace my DAS on my pimax with one.

3 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

Buy it?   Honestly it depends on you.

How is it compared to the Rift?

von Tom

52 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

How is it compared to the Rift?

von Tom

I was coming from the Vive Pro, so the visual upgrade was minimal.  BUT if I was coming from the Rift and played VR a decent amount I would definitely recommend the index.  It just does so much either good or great and the product feels like something I can use for a long time.   

I mentioned earlier I owned a Pimax 5k.  I bought it and used it in DCS and immediately knew It was (to be blunt) cheap and not long for the future.  Sure it has a great FOV, but I highly doubt people will be buying and supporting that headset years to come.  I took it off, sold it, and went back to my VivePro until something else would come along.  The index feels like it is the "it" right now.

Whats $1000 in your life?  If you only play il2; the Reverb and Rift S are a lot cheaper.  Otherwise, I have no complaints.

I've by now tested both Index and Pimax 5K+, and don't get that hype about the Index "feeling expensive". It's just that; bullshitting 😂

I keep the Pimax5K+, it's the best headset available right now (but also the priciest, so it's a trade-off).

The sound in Index didn't feel bassy enough, I didn't feel the Focke Wulf in them, the AKGs on the Samsung where better. I liked the free ears, but could not immerse myself like this, I have family and our living room next door with a little home cinema, and a sometimes loud baby.

Screens are the same, with Pimax having a much greater FOV and more options in the PiTool. SDE and clarity are the same (maybe clearer on Pimax if you consider the Index' strong glare a part of clarity as well, while Pimax has no glare at all) colours better on Pimax (tweaked by PiTool), 

I would have loved to keep the Controllers (certainly the best controllers available right now) to play some SkyrimVR with them, but it was one package so they went back together with the Headset yesterday. 

I'm using the G630 by Logitech for sound now. No built-in VR headset sound has come even close to that 7.1 Bassmonster. You hear nothing but the game world and can get fully immersed. I use now Pimax5K+, my 2 Lighthouse v1.0, but have no controllers (thinking about getting some Wands to bridge time). Have put the Index Controllers on order as a separate pack - when they arrive in late autumn, it'll be either them (with a good resale value right away) or the Sword Sense by then.

P.s. I couldnt get IL-2 to run on 120Hz on the Index. I'd like to know how you did that...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

VR is so very subjective especially to individual's experiences and expectations, I have seen some tout the Index as being way better than the Pimax and like above 

others that do not find it as good.  I think as with all these 2019 headsets one just has to try it and see how it fits their needs.

Trouble is figuring out which one to invest in and give it a try.

;)

For myself the three biggies are clarity, tracking, and quality of controllers. This is what I look for the most.

And of course good performance with the above.

The nice thing with the Index and Reverb at least currently, one can get one and try it and probably easily sell it if not happy. But then lead time 

on getting a new one can be lengthy currently.

Edited by dburne

1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

P.s. I couldnt get IL-2 to run on 120Hz on the Index. I'd like to know how you did that...

it's in SteamVR setting, in Video, there are options for 72hz, 90hz, 120hz and 144hz, little selection circle/radio buttons.  If it only shows 90hz you'll need to update the HMD firmware, be on a look-out for any warnings that pop-up...

1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

don't get that hype about the Index "feeling expensive". It's just that; bullshitting 😂

Hype and Bullshitting?

it does feel expensive and compared to the Pimax greatly so.  The strap and components and magnets and material is top quaility.  The Pimax was squeaky plastic and a simple strap.  So as I give my impressions it felt quite fair to say.  Hardly hype, nobody said “buy it for the nice magnet face cover”

MY Pimax did indeed have a large FOV, and a few bad pixels, and it was blurry as hell in that large FOV.  Maybe yours was a better build quality?  But again, build quality matters doesn’t it.

I don’t know how I got mine to go into 120 hz,  Steam VR had a pop up during setup suggesting I switch to it and it’s in the menu option.

I've seen probably 20+ reviews of the index.

So far, the overwhelming conclusion appears to be.

• Very nice headset
  • Very nice controllers
  • The best overall HMD on the market BUT....not 2.5 times better than a Rift S, Vive Pro, etc.

I've got one on order that will be available in Sept/Oct..but honestly..after spending an entire weekend with the Rift S I purchased last week....I'm very very happy with it and it cost me less than half what the Index does.

I've got time to think it over...but the Rift S clarity and comfort are winners for me after probably 20+ hours in the headset since Friday.  1000.00 for another full kit needs to be a "WOW" moment for me to justify it.

18 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

I've seen probably 20+ reviews of the index.

So far, the overwhelming conclusion appears to be.

• Very nice headset
  • Very nice controllers
  • The best overall HMD on the market BUT....not 2.5 times better than a Rift S, Vive Pro, etc.

I've got one on order that will be available in Sept/Oct..but honestly..after spending an entire weekend with the Rift S I purchased last week....I'm very very happy with it and it cost me less than half what the Index does.

I've got time to think it over...but the Rift S clarity and comfort are winners for me after probably 20+ hours in the headset since Friday.  1000.00 for another full kit needs to be a "WOW" moment for me to justify it.

:good:

Yeah currently the same as my feeling with the Rift S. 

I am in the same boat. I have Rift S. I am quite happy with it.

Price was very reasonable. I like that it's simple to use , no extra sensors needed for tracking. Inside out tracking works and even if it's not as good as Index with base stations it does it's job well enough that it doesn't bother me.

Resolution and clarity is much better than CV1 which I also have and which has been gathering dust for nearly three years now. 

Touch controllers are decent. Again , not as fancy as Index but adequate. I finished Lone Echo in one day and never had any issues.

It's light and comfortable. Doesn't get too hot and doesn't reek of plastic like DK2 did and CV1 to some extent. That smell made me sick and added to me getting nausea.

I am fine with how IL-2 looks but I am even more satisfied with Elite Dangerous.

So overall, yes I think Index is great, 120hz and slightly increased resolution sounds great but it's more than twice the price of Rift S. 

Is it two times better or will it last twice as long? Who knows. Maybe we will not see another consumer headset for two years but maybe there will be for example a consumer XTAL which will be superior to Rift , Index and Pimax.

I have my reservation done for Index, but comes September i might change my mind.

Even now with IL-2 being playable with Rift S , I am not going to switch from my 55" 4K Oled LG TV.  TV for everyday multiplayer use and Rift S for some casual SP flying and for some Elite and other VR games.

I don't know if I can justify spending €1000 for HMD that will be most likely obsolete in a year or two.

I am a VR early enthusiast. I had DK2 and CV1 and used them less in 4 years than I used Rift S in a month.

So overall I am happy for now knowing no headset on the market will replace my Flatscreen for now. 

Hey, guys. I am monitoring this thread because I am ready to upgrade from my Odyssey+. I am concerned now that Fenris has sent his back. All my research has been done to give me some guidance in choosing an Index or a Pimax 5+. I was going to get the Index. Now I am torn. I really only use the headset for Il2, occasionally Elite Dangerous or some Skyrim. No real time with family and career to do much else. Anyway, I love the idea of more FOV, so Pimax is still a contender. But I was hoping the Index would be a good enough bump to really show improvements in IL2. BTW, I now have a stable 5.0ghz overclock for the last two weeks with my 8700k, overclocked RAM and a 1080ti. With Fenris's settings, the game plays wonderfully. Big thanks to him on that. And Lefuneste, of course. If anyone has any other suggestions on which headset is best for Il2, please post. Thanks!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I own the Pimax 5k plus and now the Valve Index. Although the Index has a much smaller FoV (smaller than the Pimax small FoV), I prefer the Index. For my eyes it has richer colors and the sharpness is also a bit better. I can now see details that were not recognizable with the Pimax (at least for me). We do not need to talk about wearing comfort ... Please don´t get me wrong. I understand everyone who stays with the Pimax. It is very good and divine for Check-Six thanks to the high FoV. But I like the picture quality and especially the overall package of the Index better. Now I only have to find the optimal settings for Lefuneste's terrific Zoom mod for the Index.

Edited by Pikas_62

19 hours ago, pomdeterre said:

it's in SteamVR setting, in Video, there are options for 72hz, 90hz, 120hz and 144hz, little selection circle/radio buttons.  If it only shows 90hz you'll need to update the HMD firmware, be on a look-out for any warnings that pop-up...

Is there any visual difference between the different frequency settings? For me the ability to reduce the frequency seems more appealing than the ability to increase it. But I don't know if lowering it has any trade-offs in visuals.

2 hours ago, HunDread said:

Is there any visual difference between the different frequency settings? For me the ability to reduce the frequency seems more appealing than the ability to increase it. But I don't know if lowering it has any trade-offs in visuals.

I personally didn't see any difference, however I set it to 144hz and enable motion smoothing. The HMD was running at 72fps in heavy loaded scenes, which made THAT fluid.. :)   But when it was at 144fps there wasn't any difference inside cockpit..

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2019 at 11:16 AM, Pikas_62 said:

I own the Pimax 5k plus and now the Valve Index. Although the Index has a much smaller FoV (smaller than the Pimax small FoV), I prefer the Index. For my eyes it has richer colors and the sharpness is also a bit better. I can now see details that were not recognizable with the Pimax (at least for me). We do not need to talk about wearing comfort ... Please don´t get me wrong. I understand everyone who stays with the Pimax. It is very good and divine for Check-Six thanks to the high FoV. But I like the picture quality and especially the overall package of the Index better. Now I only have to find the optimal settings for Lefuneste's terrific Zoom mod for the Index.

That's okay, each to his own preference. Some people took larger cushions though and moved their eyes further away from the lenses in the Pimax, to then mention "distortion". Find the mistake.

I moved closer to the lenses, so I have no distortion. 

What I don't get is why you'd mention "colour difference" when in the Pimax colours are fully tuneable and adjustable, even on individual RGB channel - as well as the brightness levels (interesting enough the picture is much sharper in ED, there's no disturbing glare at all).

Each to his own I guess. Best premium combination is probably Pimax5K+ (with DAS) with Knuckles controllers and LH's 2.0 (necessary for Knuckles, Pimax runs on both 1.0 or 2.0) right now.

A package of Index + knuckles is around 200 bucks cheaper. Similar, but first-gen FOV.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Posted (edited)

I was also surprised just how happy I am with the Rift S.  SDE in CV1 drove me nuts so I figured I'd get Rift S as a stop gap until Index comes to Canada.  After 6 weeks with the Rift S I think I'll probably stick with it.  :)  Visuals are a drastic improvement over CV1 and even the audio isn't really that bad since the last software update.

Edited by BlueHeron

Posted (edited)

For me it`s very simple. I expect visual and immersion in VR. I really don`t care about the sound as long as they allow me to add my own. I was not happy with the Vive because it seemed to forget the visuals in its haste to do everything which means to keep costs down the lenses suffer. I suspect the Index might be making that mistake too. I believe the Rift S people have the right idea, focusing on the visuals and how it works rather than sound, etc.

I say they (the Devs of VR) should work on the visuals, res, fov, immersion in depth. Leave the sound to the Player/user.

hmm, that said the Vive didn`t focus much on sound at all either...🤔

Edited by seafireliv
  • Upvote 1

On 7/4/2019 at 11:13 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Each to his own I guess. Best premium combination is probably Pimax5K+ (with DAS) with Knuckles controllers and LH's 2.0 (necessary for Knuckles, Pimax runs on both 1.0 or 2.0) right now.

Knuckles work just fine with 1.0. The second generation lighthouses only work with 2.0 tracking. 1.0 lighthouses work with 1.0 and 2.0. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks I know. I found out shortly after. I am using LH v1.0 with the Knuckles and the Pimax. I am considering upgrading/waiting to get LH v2.0 though.

My HTC LH v1.0 have a buzzing bass sound to them that is really distracting (not so much to me while I have the headset on, but to animals and family alike). They are resonating with cupboard and door, which is a big issue.

Waiting for relabeled kickstarter Pimax' LH v2.0, but when they arrive seems written in the stars. Valve still hasn't delivered them to Pimax afaik. 

On 7/1/2019 at 10:14 AM, Hitze said:

Definitely not my case, i had heard the same thing before i bought it.

Stays cool even in hot days but i play with the ftont cover off for two reasons.

1. I heard it heped with the heating issue
  2. Its such a poor design, that the shiny cover reflects the lasers from the lighthouse  and can interfere with tracking. 
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I've ordered an Index and one base station. 

Was looking at the Rift S, but I'm on my second CV1 after a screen failed on my original and now a speaker has failed on the replacement.

Index arrived.

First impressions are very positive. It's slightly heavier than the CV1, but more comfortable to wear. Also build quality feels better.

Screen clarity and sweet spot is an improvement over the CV1, but to be honest my 50+ year old eyes aren't going to benefit as much as a 20/20 young dood will get.

but I can see the improvement and I'm happy with that. All in all happy with the Index and definitely feel it's an upgrade

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I tried the Index in a few games recently and it was a good HMD from what I tested.  I only tested games during bright scenes in daytime at first, such as Assetto Corsa and Fallout 4 VR daytime.  So my impression was it was a pretty good HMD and win some lose some against my Pimax 5K+.  I only got to really try it for dark games on my friends PC yesterday and I was really not impressed by the excessive glare present in ED.  Honestly it was so bad I would be put of having an Index HMD.

This Screenshot from VooDooDe shows what I was experiencing in ED.  I was in a sea of orange light and it felt poor.  I have since looked on ED forum for people experiencing this Index glare and it seems to be a big issue.

I did find a few posts like this over there on the ED forum.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/valve-index-vr-headset.507310/post-7882550

Don't get me wrong, the Pimax 5K+ in dark scenes has poor blacks but there is very little glare and God Rays compared to the excessive glare on the Index.  Some may not care and can ignore it, but they cannot claim it isn't there.

One thing I will clarify, the Index is horrible for people with glasses because you lose most of the extra FoV as you have to dial the screens too far out to accommodate glasses.  The Pimax is perfectly fine for me with my glasses on.

bybg1j4rvb731.jpg

Edited by ICDP

Posted (edited)

hey guys thank you for your reviews,

I have questions regarding Valve Index

1- Can we use it as a monitor replacement: surf, watch videos...

2-Can it work alone (without bases stations and controllers) ?

3-If working alone, do we get head tracking on Il2 to look left , right , up , down?

4- Does it require Steam to work?

Thank you very much

Edited by Nil

5 minutes ago, Nil said:

hey guys thank you for your reviews,

I have questions regarding Valve Index

1- Can we use it as a monitor replacement: surf, watch videos...

2-Can it work alone (without bases stations and controllers) ?

3-If working alone, do we get head tracking on Il2 to look left , right , up , down?

4- Does it require Steam to work?

Thank you very much

1 No as the resolution is too low to browse the web effectively.

2 No

3 Not applicable (see 3)

4 Yes

• Like 1

I only play BoX in VR, so I can't comment on other games. But I'm not seeing any glare, certainly not he god rays the CV1 has.

Posted (edited)

You only need to look at the image I linked to for a comparison to see how bad it is.  If you only have the CV1 and Index for comparison then you will not see the problem because you have been living it.  The CV1 was horrendous for god rays and glare so anything is a step up.  If you only ever play BoS in day time then you will not notice it.

It's the old "you don't miss what you never had"

Edited by ICDP

What ICDP said.

When you first launch the game and the dark background has the bright words appear, you can’t miss it.  I mainly only flight sim and you won’t notice the glare doing that.  I have read that playing a game like beat saber really brings out the glare... I don’t know.

All in all it hasn’t been a big deal and I still prefer the index over anything I have tried yet.

56 minutes ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

What ICDP said.

When you first launch the game and the dark background has the bright words appear, you can’t miss it.  I mainly only flight sim and you won’t notice the glare doing that.  I have read that playing a game like beat saber really brings out the glare... I don’t know.

All in all it hasn’t been a big deal and I still prefer the index over anything I have tried yet.

I can just about handle the bad blacks on my Pimax 5K+ because even with contrast and brightness sliders LCDs just aren't great for dark scenes.  Like you though I avoid dark titles that rely on almost true blacks.  The index is even worse was a quite jarring experience when I saw it in ED.

Really looking forward to decent high FoV and high res OLED.

• Upvote 1

Well on my part, I'm happy with the Index. I play in a darkened room and it looks good to me in game. 

Also if I'm not using the Index the next HMD is the Pimax and that is too rich for my pocket. 

So for me, even if glare is a problem in other games, it does the trick in BoX

Still happy with my upgrade. 

It was that or carry on with the CV1 with a faulty speaker and god rays.

It fits nicely making it comfortable to wear, better than the CV1, feels well built and the sound is great.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, IL-2 is very forgiving in that regard, it shouldn't be an issue here.

I still want wide FOV 4K OLED, but then again, what would I look forward to if such a thing was already on the market. A smell module?