Sign in to follow this  
dburne

New movie - "Midway" - Trailer

So, Pearl Harbor, the Doolittle raid and Midway in one movie?  Needs to be about 5 hours long, or better yet, 3 movies.

Statistically speaking if it is an aviation movie, chances are it is going to suck real hard.

*clicks link*

Yep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

"Well, it can't be worse than the Peal Harbour movie..." 

Wrong again, Bob! 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Roland Emmerich made a Godzilla film, but forgot to put Godzilla in it, so my hopes aren’t high.

• Haha 1

The CGI looks like... CGI. :unsure:

Luckily there is the inevitable love story in the script. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

I like the trailer.

It's going to be an action drama - not a documentary and I'm OK with that.

Pearl harbor didn't suck to me because of it's action scenes or effects and I can live with a lack of realism in movies, as long as it is entertaining. Pearl Harbor had badly written characters and dialoge and spent way to much on an incredibly uninspired love-triangle.

From the trailer I guess this one is going to focus on the action part - I'm looking forward to watch it.

Even after the second look I don't really know what to think about it. At least 3 big events teased (Pearl Harbor, Doolittle Raid, Midway) for a movie? Sounds a lot like non-stop action to me. Doesn't have to be bad, but there were probably better movies.  I know many will stone me, but the last good movies for me were Zero: Flight of no Return, Flyboys and Red Tails. The last-named had some weaknesses but was amusing and had some nice scenes. 

Also the tearjerker with Ben Affleck was entertaining with the flight scenes (although there were some flaws). And Airstrike with Bruce Willis might be the most negative movie in history for me, at least in the genre of flying. So things can't get that bad in the end. At least he gets his try.

Not like the trailer of the 1976 version was less cheesy... At least they concentrated on the main battle 😅

'When our Freedom was under Attack'. Is Mel Gibson in it?

• Haha 1

new Asylum film incoming?

Emmerich ... aircraft ... freedom ... independence ... sure it's a fresh trailer? I somehow feel I've seen that film. A pilot hanging at a chute, landing, running to a wreck, drawing that pilot out of the cockpit and punching him. But that other pilot absolutely did not look like a Japanese! And I seriously doubt the USN or USMC in 1941 (or even in 1945)
had coloured pilots within their ranks ... must have been something else.

2 hours ago, Red_Cat said:

'When our Freedom was under Attack'. Is Mel Gibson in it?

Well... The same director as Independence Day and The Patriot afterall 😅

Posted (edited)

Another Pearl Habour type pile of crap...........yep! just watched it again and threw up a little bit in my mouth.........just awful......the movie........not the sick! ;) 

Edited by keeno

19 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

I like the trailer.

It's going to be an action drama - not a documentary and I'm OK with that.

Pearl harbor didn't suck to me because of it's action scenes or effects and I can live with a lack of realism in movies, as long as it is entertaining. Pearl Harbor had badly written characters and dialoge and spent way to much on an incredibly uninspired love-triangle.

From the trailer I guess this one is going to focus on the action part - I'm looking forward to watch it.

Yeah me too, I enjoyed Pearl Harbor and am sure I will likely enjoy this one also.

20 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Statistically speaking if it is an aviation movie, chances are it is going to suck real hard.

*clicks link*

Yep.

+1, same goes for that 'Dauntless' movie that also recently released a trailer.

I wish Sir Pete would get 'Dambusters' done.

no wonder tom cruise only will do top gun 2 with NO cgi, 

cgi wont decieve your subcouncious

22 hours ago, dburne said:

Yeah me too, I enjoyed Pearl Harbor and am sure I will likely enjoy this one also.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:28 PM, Eisenfaustus said:

Pearl harbor didn't suck to me because of it's action scenes or effects

After Redtails and "Fury",Pearl Harbor has to be one of the worst A list war movies IMO of course. From unhistorical claptrap to exploding He-111 cockpits and some  of the most cringey   dialogue committed to film. Who could forget the classic "hammer down",   

I'm still hoping that we will eventually get the HBO/Speilberg/Hanks The Mighty 8th project on the small screen. Fingers crossed they will do it justice. In the meantime, The Cold Blue is definitely worth a watch for those who haven't already seen it .

15 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

I'm still hoping that we will eventually get the HBO/Speilberg/Hanks The Mighty 8th project on the small screen.

I'm with you in this - and I read somewhere that it'll be called masters of the air like the book it'll be based on. And since I really liked band of brothers and the pacific, I have high expectations :)

42 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Who could forget the classic "hammer down", 

Ben Affleck has been forever dead to me after that.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Ben Affleck has been forever dead to me after that.

This one has one of the Jonas brothers in it.

I mean, you can't have a WWII movie without a Jonas brother in it. :rolleyes:

I'm I allowed to say this money is going to suck donkey balls? Because it's going to suck donkey balls.

Posted (edited)

‘Midway’ 2019 ’ second  part of a possible  ww2 Pacific saga trilogy  after  ‘Pearl Harbor’ movie of 2001

Edited by RAY-EU

It is me, or does the CGI in this trailer looks cheap?

1 hour ago, Semor76 said:

It is me, or does the CGI in this trailer looks cheap?

:biggrin:

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 5:33 PM, Big_Al_the_Allo said:

...And Airstrike with Bruce Willis might be the most negative movie in history for me....

Blasphemy! There is no bad movie with Bruce Willis....Satan Clause is comin' for ya.

Edited by Brano
Edit

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking of buying a copy of the 2019 film Greyhound Attack, so I can recalibrate my definition of  what a truly bad aviation movie is.

Don't laugh.  It says "History Movie" right there in the title!

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brano said:

Blasphemy! There is no bad movie with Bruce Willis....Satan Clause is comin' for ya.

that proves that you didn´t saw it ^^

On 6/28/2019 at 9:23 AM, SYN_Mike77 said:

So, Pearl Harbor, the Doolittle raid and Midway in one movie?  Needs to be about 5 hours long, or better yet, 3 movies.

Or, one IL2 BoX release.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 4:05 PM, Finkeren said:

"Well, it can't be worse than the Peal Harbour movie..." 

I said so when I saw it, but after that......🤮

5 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Or, one IL2 BoX release.....

How ecstatic can happiness be? 

Al that said, art work with 4 bladed Dauntlesses . I still gonna see it.

I simply cannot stay out when my favorite planes get some attention

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Like 1

Wow. What is incredible in this trailer is the amount of bullshit.

There is a lot of whining going on here. I had serious misgivings about the poster but the trailer ain’t half bad. The CGI has allowed them to place the correct ships and aircraft on screen. Devestator anyone? If you expect Hollywood not to give a WWII movie the Hollywood treatment in this day and age you are delusional. Pearl Harbor was among the worst dialog and character development ever but the attack sequence on Battleship Row was, by and large, well executed. I have renewed hope in this film after seeing the trailer. Should be fun if you can avoid, to use our own vernacular,  rivet counting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

If you expect Hollywood not to give a WWII movie the Hollywood treatment in this day and age you are delusional.

I would not expect such a miracle. That's why Band of Brothers was so stunningly great series as I could not have ever believed you might even get a half-decent stuff about WW2 from that direction.

• Upvote 1

I agree.  If it fails in its dialogue and acting, it hardly matters to me how good or bad the CGI and effects are.  

It’s not CGI and effect for the sake of CGI and effects in that clip though. It is period correct and lends a bit of historical realism to Battleship Row in both films which I appreciate. (The Ticonderoga class cruisers not withstanding of course - how did that happen? ;) ) I am not defending Pearl Harbor overall, mind you, but it has some good stuff in isolation. I will wait to pass judgement on Midway until I can take it in as a whole. The original also has a moderately hokey love story and some of the acting does not hold up well in retrospect but it’s among the classic WWII movies of that era. Gets a viewing in this household every couple of years on the ol’ DVD player.

2 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

the attack sequence on Battleship Row was, by and large, well executed

I agree, I liked the airfights too. But if only we could have been free of the individual hero story, and a little bit more about how a combat group work together. 

I’m also fine with tracking a hero or a few central characters. It’s just too bad the dialogue was genuinely horrible and every military cliche known to man was uttered in the aforementioned dialogue.

• Upvote 1

When I watched the trailer I thought the CGI looked pretty good. Very good even. The flight models seemed realistic. I'd love to think this could be a straight retelling of the battle in the vein of Tora, Tora, Tora. Keeping my fingers crossed. The technology is finally available to recreate great aviation history. If only the movie industry would believe there is still an audience for well told stories with real character development. Not just endless car chases, explosions and senseless violence to entertain.

11 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I’m also fine with tracking a hero or a few central characters. It’s just too bad the dialogue was genuinely horrible and every military cliche known to man was uttered in the aforementioned dialogue.

That is what I ment, but my English  fails to express  

As I go thru the cast, main characters are almost all old farts from high command of US or Japanese Navy. And sorry, but I cant picture Woody Harleson as admiral Chester Nimitz 😁