Posted (edited)

So, I set up a 2x 109 ai patrol to intercept enemy planes that enter the attack area. The ai are set to ace, but initially when they appear they don't seem to want to attack unless you first go after them. If you don't engage them you can fly right past. Is this just a limitation of the ai capability or am I missing something? Attached is a pic of the group as it shows in the ME. Just starting to learn how to use the ME so bear with me as I learn. This setup was taken from Prankster's guide and differs somewhat from the approach seen in JimTM's manual.

2x109attack.JPG

Edited by No_85_Gramps

Timer "Waypoint 2Sec" and "command AttackArea" have no any target links and they just don't work. Your planes can't fly to Waypoint or attack anything as this triggers don't "turn on"  from some event.

Basically, If you desire your patrol to engage any enemy craft along the route.... set the waypoints 'Priority' to LOW.

Thanks BlackSix and Thad. Waypoint priority is set to low. Interestingly enough, it does work, if I attack the patrol then they will engage me. But thanks again to you both. Some more trial and error work needed. Time to dig a little deeper into the manuals/guides.

Have your wingman COVER the leader. The leader flies a route, the wingman is like a mad bee, and will attack anything around it, instead of just fly by. Then the leader will identify the threat, and follow. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, No_85_Gramps said:

Thanks BlackSix and Thad. Waypoint priority is set to low. Interestingly enough, it does work, if I attack the patrol then they will engage me. But thanks again to you both. Some more trial and error work needed. Time to dig a little deeper into the manuals/guides.

Three simple solutions in your case:

1) If you want to use waypoint with LOW priority then set target link from your timer "Trigger Timer S" to timer "Waypoint 2Sec". It will activate your waypoint.

2) If you want to use command AttackArea for patrol then set target link from your timer "Trigger Timer S" to "command AttackArea" and delete link beetwen  timer "Waypoint 2Sec" and your waypoint.

3) If you want your planes reach waypoint and then start patrol then set Normal priority, set target link from your timer "Trigger Timer S" to timer "Waypoint 2Sec" and then set target link from waypoint to "command AttackArea"

Thanks to everyone who provided ideas/suggestions for me. I have tried them all, and although they all work, the AI just doesn't seem to want to attack, unless I go after them first. I'll keep working at it, could just be a brain cramp. At least I have been able to create a AAA battery, and a Naval convoy, that both work. Of course they have both become group files for future use.

Posted (edited)

Here's a test CAP mission using check zone triggers. You're in a Spitfire against two 109s flying Combat Air Patrol. As soon as you enter the zone, the 109s intercept and attack you. When you leave the zone, the AI proceed to WP1 and resume their CAP.

JimTM - Test CAP.zip

This is not the only way to build this mission; you could probably adapt it using a complex trigger translator or using Coconut's version of enemy detection.

Edited by JimTM
  • Upvote 1

Coconuts CAP group is very handy - I still use it now and then.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, No_85_Gramps said:

Thanks Jim and Gambit. Will give those a try. 

FYI, I set the Spitfire to invulnerable and unlimited ammo so you can experiment with the 109 behaviour.

Edited by JimTM
  • Thanks 1

Well, after some experimenting, I figured out that there are at least 100 ways to skin a cat! All joking aside, the more I work with the ME, the more intriguing it becomes. Trying to determine the logic is like a brain puzzle, good mental exercises for an old guy!  As far as the AI issue, it just varies from method to method. But I would caution anyone contemplating mission building, it can get addicting!  

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, No_85_Gramps said:

Trying to determine the logic is like a brain puzzle, good mental exercises for an old guy!  As far as the AI issue, it just varies from method to method. But I would caution anyone contemplating mission building, it can get addicting!  

Sorry Gramps, your stuck with it now... 😜

• Haha 1