Sign in to follow this  
CmdrRockHunter

A "Hello" and "where an earth do I start?" thread from a complete newbie.

Hi everyone.

So I'm an Elite Dangerous Cmdr who finally picked up IL-2 Sturmovik in the current sale having prevaricated for far too long over the purchase. As fans of the game you may be wondering why, or know all too well how daunting this game and sims in general can be to the newbie. I haven't played a flight sim of any kind (I'm not counting ED) since Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator back in the late Nineties' on my old Sidewinder Precision Pro and whilst I loved it I was never a competent pilot. That's an itch I've wanted to scratch ever since and now appears to be the time to finally do it.

So I've done probably the worst possible thing and jumped right in, only to have a quick look but I've immediately run into problems. 

I'm using a X-55 Rhino and Samsung Odyssey HMD and mapped the throttle, pitch, roll and yaw simply so I could jump into a quick mission and check out the feel late last night, having just downloaded the game, only to find myself sitting on the wing. I've been playing around trying to find the best way to set up my headset and reset the view nice and easily but the sheer number of 'snap to such and such view' is a little overwhelming, as are the volume of controls required to have full control over these aircraft. So, I'm hoping there may be an upto date tutorial or series of guides that may help in general and, perhaps, specifically for the X-55. Anything that explains what each control actually does will help me understand what I will need to map and to where or even if I need to delve into the dreaded Saitek software.

Elite Dangerous has a similarly famed steep learning curve with little to no official guide so I'm certainly happy to start at the bottom of the pile and start a long slog....I just need to know where to start in terms of up to date info.

Looking forward to starting my flight career again, after many many years.

Thanks

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Welcome! You've taken your first step into a larger world...

A huge part of the joy of BoX (as in Elite Dangerous) is it's depth and complexity. I often refer to the setting up of controls and key-mapping as the 'second game you get for free' with BoX. I can't help you with your X-55, or Samsung issues, not owning these bits of tech, but a real quick 'n' dirty of MUST HAVE BOUND controls would, in my mind, include the following:

pitch

roll

yaw

throttle (If you've got room on your throttle unit to map RPM, Mixture, and radiators / cowl flaps, then you'll soon get some nice muscle memory on the go & things become easier quickly).

Weapon groups 1 & 2 (on separate triggers) (3& 4 are typically rockets & bombs, I've got them bound to more top-of-joystick-buttons)

Trim (I have pitch trim & roll trim mapped to a PoV hat, and rudder trim on the arrow keys. Also, you can map 'adjust horizontal stabiliser' - for 190, 109, SE5 etc - to the same binding as pitch trim.

Flaps up/down

Undercarriage up / down

Lock / unlock tailwheel

Supercharger stage toggle

Engine Boost Toggle

If you can fit them onto a HOTAS setup, then you'll be pretty sorted for basic flying & fighting in most aircraft.

Which of the BoX series did you get? I'll probably be helpful to start off concentrating on one aircraft, and once you've gained confidence in that, move onto others. 

Just in case you've not come across them, some essential viewing can be found on the following channels on youtube:

Requiem's Air Combat Tutorial Library: https://www.youtube.com/user/RequiemBoS - Requiem's tutorials are EXCELLENT. Highly recommend you watch his intro to any aircraft you intend to start learning before you strap in.

Sheriff's Sim Shack: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEOoU9PxkXEmsFdzrbvx37A

IFlyCentral: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6U2wqGyO2APRoFJwOoztA

Arianne Scharfi: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTrvwzM-RClyvSiWqIQTQmw

There's a long, rambling, and possibly unhelpful response for you. Good to have you aboard! The community is great, super helpful. Don't expect to be an ace immediately. Do expect to take a couple of months to find the setup / keybindings that work for you. There's tonnes of super helpful people about. You're welcome to drop me a message here or on Discord any time. Welcome to our little crew!

Edited by Diggun
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Welcome to the community CmdrRockHunter. Check out the IL2 Resources post for a wide variety of help with the sim. I haven't seen a detailed guide for what each control does yet but there are posts about certain controls now and then. Try searching the forum. There are a couple of links to lists of the default controls near the top of the IL2 Resources post.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you found yourself sat on the wing looks like you need to map your vr reset button cant remember exactly what it is called but it will reset to your default view

you can change default views which are saved using F10, might be useful if you wish to sit a bit more forward or back in various AC

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Once you get your controls mapped and your view set up, you will want to learn to take off and land. Some aircraft are trickier than others to taxi so you might want to start with an aircraft that has a stable landing gear. There are some pre made missions to practice but you will not be able to change the aircraft. Many people set up a quick mission with no enemy to start and locate an airport on the map. Land your aircraft and then do practice take off and landing that way.

You can look up take off and landing speeds under the specifications tab once you get to the free flight mission briefing. There are quite a few you YouTube tutorials that will get you flying once you get to that point.

Edited by Jaegermeister
  • Like 2

once you enable VR in the game settings the "snap to.." settings do not work and are irrelevant. Either use NUM5 for VR head reset (no need to map anything), or there's a "VR reset" in bindings then you need to find/change, etc. The difference between the two is Num5 VR reset works everywhere (menu's, plane, etc), whereas "VR Reset" assignment works inside the plane only.

• Like 1

@CmdrRockHunter The place to start is with one plane.  Doesn't matter which one, just pick your favorite.  The modeling is pretty good and as a result these planes fly very differently from each other.  The degree of difficulty is much higher than the old fashioned "survey sims" (not an insult as I dearly loved those games) that dropped 40 airplanes in your lap.  As a result it will take some time.

The 109 series is very forgiving in the air and IMHO very straight forward to fly.  More difficult to take off and land.  

I love the 190 but it does have viscous stall characteristics.

The Yaks are also very pleasant but there is manual engine management.

That is assuming you even want fighters. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, CmdrRockHunter said:

So I'm an Elite Dangerous Cmdr who finally picked up IL-2 Sturmovik in the current sale having prevaricated for far too long over the purchase. 

I was in exactly your position back in September 2018. I was big into the multiplayer scene in Elite, but finally quit due to the toxicity. Since then I learned to fly the IL2 planeset, found a great squadron and sets of friends beyond the squad and all through the community, and I've actually (god knows how this happened) launched a multiplayer server and designed a bunch of missions for it. We've had over 1800 players on Combat Box this month.

A few tips:

• It might be worth playing pancake mode (maybe with a head tracker) until you get used to all the controls. Then once you've mapped everything and gotten some practice, jump back into VR. My current bindings are here, if you're interested.
  • Planes can be complex, but start with something simple. I like the Yak-1. You can start in single player with all the icons on and engine management on simple, but eventually you will want to progress to manual engine management and icons (and GPS) off. Well probably, because Expert mode is what most of the multiplayer servers use. I personally have never really gotten to grips with the Bf-109's stabilizer system, I would actually recommend not flying that plane as a starter plane.
  • The flight modeling is pretty good. I'm a private pilot IRL and all the stuff I do in a real plane seems to mostly work here too (e.g. slips to lose altitude on landing). Of course I don't fly warbirds so I can't tell you if their edge-of-the-envelope performance is realistic, but basically you should consider them pretty well modeled. 
  • VR performance tuning is a pain, but there can be good payoffs. There's a dedicated subforum for this. Check out Fenris' thread on recommended settings -- he has (or had) an Odyssey and is now on Pimax, I believe, but his thread is a good resource. 
  • It's usually worth waiting for a sale to buy new packages. Kuban finally went on sale for 50% off. If you've decided you like the game enough to play it a lot, I would recommend Kuban collectors edition as one to get. Generally the collectors edition are worth it because you get the extra planes. But if funds are tight you can have a lot of fun with basic Stalingrad for $16.99 or whatever. If you bought the base game on Steam, make that your only Steam purchase -- if you buy through the website new packages and planes will be associated with your account, and you're giving money directly to the developers rather than allowing Steam to take a 30% cut. This is a big deal, please support the devs directly if you can.
  • When you do take the step to multiplayer, you will get your ass handed to you. Repeatedly. There is unfortunately no substitute for experience, although flying with a group can help a lot. You might also want to start reading traditional fighter pilot books. The one by Bob Shaw is great. Berloga is a fun server to start on -- instant furball, don't worry about dying, have some fun. The AI got a lot better this last patch, allegedly, but they're not really useful for anything other than target practice, but target practice is good.
  • Requiem's videos are my go-to for learning. Really really awesome. From there, you want Sheriff's, especially his "why I made these decisions" videos. 

Have fun, and welcome!

Edit: Here's my thread from last year. Some good advice in this one.

Edited by Alonzo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

but target practice is good.

Excellent points, Alonzo! Target practice is simply a MUST.  In MP furballs you get 1 or 2 chances to shoot at the enemy. You miss and your chance of dying goes up 50%.

Still being kind of a newbie I'd recommend the scripted campaigns for some fun single player practice. It pays off to fly multiple missions in one single aircraft. And it's a lot more fun than free flight. 

By the way, there is a lot more than fighters in here. The Sea Dragons campaign with the IL2 (comes with BOK) is a lot of fun, with a layback pace. 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for your advice and tips.

After a little play around before work, and just after posting this thread, my Google-Fu kicked in and I managed to track down some advice on getting my position set up so I’m set to go on this issue at least.

Although I think I’ll certainly follow Alonzo’s advice and begin with my monitor simply so I can get to grips with the most basic of basics - despite being a sucker for the immersive nature of VR.

You’ve all managed to fill the upcoming weekend for me, two days in front of YouTube and a HOTAS by the looks of things - my wife will be overjoyed 😁

I’m afraid I went straight in with the Steam purchase of Stalingrad, Moscow and Kuban (its been on my wish list for ages but I kept putting a purchase off so this time I went all in.) Future purchases will go through the Dev’s website.

One final point; I’m not a big forum user generally although the ED forums have been very useful, so any heads up on the ‘Like,’ ‘Upvote’ and so on type things used here would be appreciated - when people make an effort as you have its good to show my appreciation but knowing the correct or best manner always helps.

Thanks again and I hope to see a lot more of you on the forums and in the air

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Idk if there's anything formal about the 'reactions' on this here forum. Do what you feel, man, do what you feel. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

O7 cmdr 😁...and beware! No Engineers in BoX

Edited by Brano
No Engineers
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Brano said:

O7 cmdr 😁...and beware! No Engineers in BoX

😲What no materials grind?🤣

4 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The 109 series is very forgiving in the air and IMHO very straight forward to fly.  More difficult to take off and land.  

I don't know, seems to me that the Spitfire Mk 9 would be a better place to start. It has no vices, whatsoever. Then again, I don't think he said which module he purchased, did he? 

1 hour ago, CmdrRockHunter said:

I’m afraid I went straight in with the Steam purchase of Stalingrad, Moscow and Kuban

2 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Then again, I don't think he said which module he purchased, did he? 

14 minutes ago, CmdrRockHunter said:

😲What no materials grind?🤣

Well, some LW pilots will try hard to make you believe that soviet VYa 23mm cannon is a Thargoid weapon 😄

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brano said:

Well, some LW pilots will try hard to make you believe that soviet VYa 23mm cannon is a Thargoid weapon 😄

At the moment I only half know what you're talking about, and I'm on the wrong forum for that.....but give me time - hopefully.😀

15 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

I don't know, seems to me that the Spitfire Mk 9 would be a better place to start. It has no vices, whatsoever. Then again, I don't think he said which module he purchased, did he? 

Yeah, I went in with the three big updates/dlc - but I don't know whether the MkIX is included in any of those. I'll have a good play around over the weekend (if I can get off the ground that is!)

2 minutes ago, CmdrRockHunter said:

At the moment I only half know what you're talking about, and I'm on the wrong forum for that.....but give me time - hopefully.😀

Yeah, I went in with the three big updates/dlc - but I don't know whether the MkIX is included in any of those. I'll have a good play around over the weekend (if I can get off the ground that is!)

VYA 23mm is on Il2 ground pounders and on a slow '41 fighter LAGG3. It's a one shot wonder, at least if the engine is hit, however making a successful shot from these 2 slowest planes is something that LW always omit from mentioning.

MkIX, P47, FW-190 D9, Me-262 - these are all part of BOBP early release pack.

I bought the U-2VS  collector aircraft to do the same a few months back - its very basic - no radiator controls, no supercharger, no prop control, no trim just a stick, throttle and mixture.  Speed is low and its a nice trainer aircraft to get back into the game if haven't flown for a while or a new player.  I loved it so much I did a career in it.

2 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

LW = Luftwaffe... German Air Force

You read my mind😀

Despite having a good knowledge of 20th Century history I’m clearly going to need to gen up on much here.😊

Yeah, there are a lot of abbreviations on here. Don't be afraid to ask if you want to know about something. Almost everyone on here is very helpful and you will only occasionally get a rude response. Most people here are relatively mature and don't waste time taking cheap shots at everyone they can. 

Welcome, so you say you coming fom MSCFS - who didn`t...heheh.

Just so you know, American planes are the hardest to learn around here.

The game pretty much changes all the optics newcomers have on the WWII aircraft. It is a lovely journey, I might add.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

Yeah, there are a lot of abbreviations on here. Don't be afraid to ask if you want to know about something. Almost everyone on here is very helpful and you will only occasionally get a rude response. Most people here are relatively mature and don't waste time taking cheap shots at everyone they can. 

A few you might see if you join a multiplayer (MP) server:

s or s! - salute

gf - good fight

6 or 6666 - watch your 6-o'clock position ("your 6")

VVS - Soviet Air Force

262 - The answer to the question "What the heck was that?!" (Me-262)

s!

Edited by JimTM
  • Haha 1

Hi,

I recommend you to start like this.

-Try out a few birds, find one or two you want to stick to for the beginning.

-Set your game for fully realistic.
-Configurate your controls for that ac´s. (aicrafts)
-Go on youtube and look for tutorials for that planes.
-Make a quick mission and practice what you have seen in the videos. A post-it with a few settings helps.
-When you feel confident taxiing go online and never stop. Maybe an server with GPS ON helps at the start so you can focus on flying and dont have to navigate.

Have fun with this great game.

First of all, Hello and welcome!

About what airplane to start with, everyone has it's favourite, but I would recomend any il2, specialy the 1941 mod, 50% Fuel.

It has mild flying caracteristics, you can prety much fly it with 100% throttle RPM mixture, oil and water rads and nothing bad should happen. But also you can check and learn if you maped every setting. It does not have aileron and rudder trim. But it does have everything else.

Also it's landing gear is quite rugged, nice for noobs landing, and taxiing is rather easy, just remember to UNLOCK the tail to make a la turn, and IMIDIALTY lock it back.

22 minutes ago, =FEW=fernando11 said:

First of all, Hello and welcome!

About what airplane to start with, everyone has it's favourite, but I would recomend any il2, specialy the 1941 mod, 50% Fuel.

Hmmmmm.  This post made me realize.... I have yet to ever fly an IL2, which this whole series is named after, even going back all the way to IL2 1946.  Is anyone else guilty of that or is it just me?  (Slowly raises hand and looks around nervously)...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stoopy said:

Hmmmmm.  This post made me realize.... I have yet to ever fly an IL2, which this whole series is named after, even going back all the way to IL2 1946.  Is anyone else guilty of that or is it just me?  (Slowly raises hand and looks around nervously)...

You are probably not alone. I've seen posts from people (usually with JG-something-or-other in their name) that claim to have only even flown aircraft from their 'own' side.  Taking role-play too far for me, but whatever rocks your boat. For the rest of us, not flying the IL-2 would seem rather an omission. It has few vices beyond not being anything other than what it is, and takes relatively little effort to get familiar with.  And blowing things up is fun...

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

The visibility in the IL2 is horrendous. Go for the FW190 or the P47 and start at the top... 😀

Also the Spitfire is a very simple analog airplane with easy to understand controls and stable characteristics. That would be my first choice.

Edited by Jaegermeister

2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

You are probably not alone. I've seen posts from people (usually with JG-something-or-other in their name) that claim to have only even flown aircraft from their 'own' side. 

Uh oh! I was "JG300-Stoopy" in a different air combat sim (no affiliation with JG300 in IL2) so that might be part of it...although I have no problem flying allied/VVS aircraft, other than Spits...I'd rather shoot those things down. 😝

No, really it's just such a frumpy-lookin' affair, not a very inspiring profile picture on the aircraft selection menu (even less appealing in '46), it's like choosing to drive a Trabant 601 when the keys to a cool Chevy Camaro are hanging right there on the next peg over.... 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Uh oh! I was "JG300-Stoopy" in a different air combat sim (no affiliation with JG300 in IL2) so that might be part of it...although I have no problem flying allied/VVS aircraft, other than Spits...I'd rather shoot those things down. 😝

No, really it's just such a frumpy-lookin' affair, not a very inspiring profile picture on the aircraft selection menu (even less appealing in '46), it's like choosing to drive a Trabant 601 when the keys to a cool Chevy Camaro are hanging right there on the next peg over.... 

It isn't the most beautiful aircraft in the world, admittedly, though I wouldn't call it ugly. Or frumpy. Agricultural, maybe. Functional mostly. If you want to plough fields full of Germans, a tractor is more effective than a Testa Rossa. Wars aren't won by looking pretty.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

IMHO, the IL-2 is one of the most fun aircraft to fly. It has just enough attributes of a fighter that you can blast an unwary Bf109 with those 23mm cannons and then get back to the task of obliterating things on the ground. Everyone should spend some time in the IL-2. It may not look crisp and sleek but I think its just such a cool aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Stoopy said:

I have yet to ever fly an IL2, which this whole series is named after, even going back all the way to IL2 1946.  Is anyone else guilty of that or is it just me?

Guilty as charged. I still consider myself a newbie, but have been flying for 4 months or more, and I've never tried it. 

At first I always flew a Spit, except for a few flirtations with I-16, Bf 110, He 111, LaGG, P40, P47, FW 190D and a couple of WWI planes. The Spits handle beautifully, but lack firepower compared to a Bf 109 with cannon pods and 30mm fitted. You can destroy a whole train with one pass.

The 109 G-14, and, more recently G-6 are becoming my new favourites since I mapped a horizontal stabiliser axis, and I've yet to revisit the Dora.

Still prefer the Mk IX for air to air.

Now I have a new mission, to finally check out the legendary IL-2

Edited by jaygee485
  • Thanks 1

As a newby to planes here the planes I find most "easy" to fly. 

- BF109-F4

- BF110-G2

- IL-2 1943

- MIG-3 

The only plane I was able to land without damage every time is the JU-87 stuka.

I had troubles with the IL-2 at first but since I played them in campaign/missions I must say they have their charmes. I  flown most planes a few time out of curiosity but after a few weeks I start to like to attack ground targets (is that called straifing ? )  using planes that have big guns.  (still do too often real ground attacks...and you know what, the ground wins always) My favorite there is also the BF110 but I have more and more fun doing that with the HS-129 B2 (also called Duck).  I most like to fly under 100m, approach a ground tartget a few meters above the ground and then jump over the target (newby tip, do not use that to kill locomotives, they take you with them if they explode)

I also like the FW190's (speed wise) but I think they are a bit more "temperamental" and less forgiving. 

The community here is very friendly 

A little update on how this noob is doing.

It's Saturday afternoon, my PC went on at 6am (I have a hang over and fell asleep on the sofa, hence the early start) and I've been taking off and landing in a, very kindly gifted, U-2VS. 

I jumped into various aircraft initially, including a Spitfire which I couldn't stop myself from buying, and whilst I was able to bobble about in them I thought it best to start at the bottom of the pile (or more politely; to start at the beginning.) It's taken me ages to map out my controls (and I've been sure to map everything that I may need in the future) and now I've forgotten what I put where on my HOTAS so will have to either put post-its everywhere or make a lot of little stickers for each control. 

This game reminds me hugely of Elite Dangerous and all the post-its, Googling, forum threads and YouTube videos it required just to get me from one situation to the next and I like that. A good challenge, some hard work and frustration and eventually ( I hope) a sudden realisation that 'I'm getting there.'

Despite having a VR set-up I'm starting out using my monitor and using the free-camera/external view to check things like flaps are up or I'm centred on the runway whilst taxi-ing.

I've read some very useful information from the "Beginners start here" thread which has enabled me to deal with stalling and even my first corkscrew spin though it was very close to me splatting o the ground.

It seems this may well be a game that gets its hooks into me, just what I need at the start of what looks like a long, hot summer 😉

• Like 1

Sounds like you are approaching with the right attitude, I think you will enjoy the journey 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1