Sign in to follow this  
jaygee485

G-6 seating position too low. Solved

I'm using TrackIR 5, and, until I was recently gifted with the Bf 109 G-6, my head position was perfect for every plane I tried (apart from difficulty seeing instrument panel in the I-16)

My eyes are in line with the gunsights of all planes, with the lighted reticule nicely centered. Looking out the sides of canopies I can see nearly the whole wing, and by leaning slightly to the side and looking down I can see the wing root. Exactly as it should be. This includes several Bf 109 variants.

With my new G-6 though, it's as if I forgot to put my parachute on, and I'm sitting on the seat base. My eyes are below the gunsight, so the lighted reticule is out of sight. By hoisting myself up in my chair, I can just start to see the top of the reticule circle, but it's as if my head is pressed against the canopy, and I still can't see much over the instrument panel.

Looking to the side, I can see the outer wing, and aileron, but only a small part of the flap and not the indicator lines. Needless to say, I've tried re-centering TIR POV by pressing F12, and I've tried recalibrating TIR, but it still won't work, only in this one plane.

I'd love to try out my shiny new G-6. Any ideas? 

You can always move into your favourite position and press F10 to make that your new default centered location in that particular plane's cockpit.

:drinks:

Mike

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

You can always move into your favourite position and press F10

Thanks for the input. The trouble is, that no matter how high I hoist myself up, I can't reach a position where I can see 'normally'.

I can't get high enough, in this one plane, even though I seem to be up against the canopy.

I will try F10 though. I had only ever used F12 for recentering my position, but when I get on the computer later this evening I'll give F10 a go.

Just to emphasize what Storebror means: Center the trackir with F12 and disable it with F9. Then use ins, del, pageup, pagedown, home, and end keys to adjust the position and save it with F10. Then enable TrackIR again with F9.

18 minutes ago, Hanu said:

Center the trackir with F12 and disable it with F9. Then use ins, del, pageup, pagedown, home, and end keys to adjust the position and save it with F10. Then enable TrackIR again with F9.

OK, there's a bit more involved than just hitting F10!

Thanks for the clarification Hanu.

Will this just alter the POV in that plane, and then revert to normal when I  select another plane? Or when I restart the game?

Or will I have to use the same procedure to return it to normal for other planes?

That is plane-specific setting (luckily), you can adjust it on every plane as you like. For example in Ju-88 I have position so up that I can hardly see Revi sight at all, but I have much better vision while taxiing. Also in 109's I tend to move the position upwards and a bit forward as it helps to see the target better when taking deflection-shots.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hanu said:

Just to emphasize what Storebror means: Center the trackir with F12 and disable it with F9. Then use ins, del, pageup, pagedown, home, and end keys to adjust the position and save it with F10. Then enable TrackIR again with F9.

This, or just hoist up, press F10, sit down, press F12, repeat. No need to even disable TrackIR for this.

The setting is plane dependent and it will survive restarts of the game.

You can really make yourself comfortable with each plane individually that way.

:drinks:

Mike

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hanu said:

plane-specific setting (luckily)

Yes, luckily! and thanks again for enlightening me. 

As it's plane-specific I can see possibilities to fine-tune POV in a few others, eg I-16.

I'm still curious as to why this would occur only in the G-6 and not in any other Bf 109 (or any other plane). Just another one of life's mysteries. 

Posted (edited)

If you want to reset the view to the default the game originally gives you and try again, go to:  Program Files (x86) > 1C Game Studios > IL2 Sturmovik Great Battles > data > LuaScripts > SnapViews > Defaults.  Copy the plane you want to reset to the list that's just below the Defaults folder in SnapViews.  Copy/paste the entire list into SnapViews from the Defaults folder to reset them all.   

It also helps to pause the TrackIR  camera BEFORE you spawn in with the plane.  That way the default setting will be perfectly centered.  You can make the adjustments and press F10, then un-pause the camera.   

Edited by Mobile_BBQ
  • Thanks 1

You can also press num 5 and then adjust the seat before pressing F10 to save as well. Sounds like your trackIR5 was set incorrectly and then the view was saved to cause this issue. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Sounds like your trackIR5 was set incorrectly

Ok.......but why for this plane only?

As I said, until I got the G-6, TrackIR had always given me exactly the right viewpoint in every plane I flew, and after giving up on testing the G-6 due to this problem, I jumped straight into the G-14 and it was still perfect. Same for the Mk IX. Tried the G-6 again. Same problem again. So how can it be a TrackIR settings issue, when only one plane is affected?

Edit: I think I just understood your meaning. Did you mean that, in my first time in the G-6, there was a glitch of some kind in TrackIR, causing the incorrect viewpoint, and that wrong POV has been saved? 

Edited by jaygee485

41 minutes ago, jaygee485 said:

Edit: I think I just understood your meaning. Did you mean that, in my first time in the G-6, there was a glitch of some kind in TrackIR, causing the incorrect viewpoint, and that wrong POV has been saved? 

Yes that is correct, as I have experienced the same issue myself and that was the cause. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all who offered their advice. I have adjusted my seating position in the G-6, and saved it . 

Now all is as it should be, and I have enjoyed a few flights with near-perfect POV.

Seems to handle better than the G-14, while offering the same options for extra cannon up front. Very destructive!