Sign in to follow this  
WokeUpDead

Exact distance for short, medium, long firing distances for AI gunners?

Bomber pilots can give their AI gunners instrucions on how close a target should be before opening fire: short, medium, long. Does anyone know the exact distances corresponding to those instructions?

I dont know exact distances(, I think short may be inside 1km) but here's what I find optimal:

Medium for 

Bf110

Ju87

Pe2

Ju88

Long for 

He111 

A20

Po2

Il2

Slower planes that stay near the deck will have the enemy close faster in bnz passes so I like my gunners to have the longest possible time to shoot.  On the a20 where the gunner takes a while to open and deploy the gun I also set it to long to have the gunner preemptively deploy the mg.  On other planes medium works well to score hits and save ammo.  I'd set the ju87 to long but when I do I routinely run out of ammo.

Edited by Joeasyrida
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2019 at 1:34 AM, WokeUpDead said:

Bomber pilots can give their AI gunners instrucions on how close a target should be before opening fire: short, medium, long. Does anyone know the exact distances corresponding to those instructions?

less then 800m short, 1200m medium and 1600m long, (thats range where they start to react and open fire if they have gn in hand, on some positions you need to count on them also losing few time on geting in position to man gun )

also its good to order them to fire at will, many times i attacked bombers and they only start to shoot after i already did one pass, as by default they are set to return fire only, and even on long 1600m enemy noticed you long before so them not shooting and reviling position for example is of no use.

Edited by 77.CountZero

When flying the 110, I allways order my gunner to shoot at short distance (I don't even have keys assigned for medium and long distance), as otherwise they shoot at enemy aircrafts passing in distances in each direction with no real chance to get a hit. It is a pure shooting holes in the air. However I have no idea, if they work different in MP. And my gunner allways shoots on own will, no need to order that. Major problem in the E2 is, that the gunner doesn't reload his gun automatically, as he should. So it happens more often, that he needs some time to fire in the second pass, simply because he has to reload first. AI has no tactical feeling.

Considering quite how useless the gunner is in both of the models of the 110 I generally set it to "Long range" in MP, as the gunner "warning" range is directly tied to gunner's "engagement" range. Thus at long setting the gunner warns you if he spots an enemy at just above 1km range. Relying on gunner to defend you in a 110 is futile, however, so best to just defend as if you were flying a single seat fighter and engage the enemy with your front guns.

• Like 1

1900-2000m for Long range... 

Go onto the easy mode server with player icons turned on (like the 1cgs server) Then you can see you will get gunner call outs and the plane its calling out is showing 1.9-2K on the player icon. 
(atleast it was in 2017 :D ) 

That being said if a enemy is approaching at high speed by the time the gunners spot them at say 1.9km ok LR
Then man the gun and make the call engaging that enemy.
The enemy plane is now 400m and possibly firing. 

Sometimes with gunners on Medium Range even if you are dove on @ 800-900kph+ you will get a gunner call for engaging enemy After you get hit or have been killed :D if sniped.