Sign in to follow this  
HagarTheHorrible

Counting Coup

Back in the day, the Indian (Red, as opposed to Indian) warriors took great pride in what they called “Counting Coup” (I stand to be corrected) which essentially boiled down to being able to lay hands on an enemy warrior but not physically harm them, a way of saying “I could have killed you, but didn’t”.  I quite like that notion, sneaking up on someone and flying formation or firing a flare from alongside.  Depending on my mood, I’m much more relaxed now and quite happy to have fun and games rather than personal prestige, even if others then claim jump on my target.

• Upvote 1

Culturally and administrably, it's reckoned the RI's were the zenith of civilisation.

I can believe it.

S!

• Haha 1

IIRC Francis Pegahmagabow (best sniper of WWI) would sneak into German trenches at night to do just that.

Posted (edited)

WW1 aerial equivalent is letting the other guy land on his side of the lines. Everything you do to him before that is counting coup :D.

Edited by J2_Trupobaw

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

You've been watching too much 'Dancing with Wolves'...

Good grief, no !!!!!!!

Reading "The Earth is Weeping" about the indian wars.  It's increadible how much the world has changed in such a reletively short period.  The world really did turn on it's axis, there was the time before WW1 and then after WW1 and never the twain shall meet.

20 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Good grief, no !!!!!!!

Reading "The Earth is Weeping" about the indian wars.  It's increadible how much the world has changed in such a reletively short period.  The world really did turn on it's axis, there was the time before WW1 and then after WW1 and never the twain shall meet.

Craft became industry and gears changed every 10 years, now programing and AI got added ...

I think the whole notion stinks.  What I'm reading is that instead of shooting the enemy down, what you really want to do is taunt somebody, humiliate them, and let them know that you pity them.  And then you'll probably give them a sarcastic "Salute", right?   I think games like this would be a lot better if people stopped trying to invent a game within a game and just played it straight.  Don't play with your food; if you think you're good enough to shoot an enemy down, then shoot him down.  Anything else is a waste of people's time, imho.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Just shoot him down as quickly and efficiently as you can. Preferably in the back of the head before he realises.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

IIRC Francis Pegahmagabow (best sniper of WWI) would sneak into German trenches at night to do just that.

It must have been such a laugh knowing that last night Francis was standing next to the man who just shot your buddy but Francis decided feeling smug was better than killing the enemy 🤨

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

I think the whole notion stinks.  What I'm reading is that instead of shooting the enemy down, what you really want to do is taunt somebody, humiliate them, and let them know that you pity them.  And then you'll probably give them a sarcastic "Salute", right?

That or he gets blown out of the sky by the other guy’s wingman.

The thing about “playing with your food”, wether it be this or shooting parachutes, is that it just puts you in a bad situation for no reason.

4 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

It must have been such a laugh knowing that last night Francis was standing next to the man who just shot your buddy but Francis decided feeling smug was better than killing the enemy 🤨

Well, to be fair, he did kill 378 Germans and captured 300 more, so it’s not as though he wasn’t contributing.

Edited by [Pb]Cybermat47

On 6/23/2019 at 4:28 PM, Zooropa_Fly said:

Culturally and administrably, it's reckoned the RI's were the zenith of civilisation.

I can believe it.

S!

There's a chap called Julius Caesar who would like a word with you  :coffee:

33 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

There's a chap called Julius Caesar who would like a word with you  :coffee:

I was referring to a fair, just.. and dare I say truly democratic society with proper representation... rather than a well organised conquering one ;)

S!

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2019 at 9:42 AM, SeaSerpent said:

What I'm reading is that instead of shooting the enemy down, what you really want to do is taunt somebody, humiliate them, and let them know that you pity them. 

Taunt, humiliate and pity.

From experience no less! I hecking laughed out loud!

Too rich! Comedic gold!

BRAVO !!!!  Clap clap clap.

MORE !!!!

Sir, you are a GENIUS !

Salute!

Plank

29 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

I was referring to a fair, just.. and dare I say truly democratic society with proper representation... rather than a well organised conquering one ;)

S!

Which group of Native Americans in particular was this? After all, there were a lot of different Native American nations (which still survive as distinct groups).

49 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

S!

Surely to God they didn't give women the vote, did they ?  No wonder their ciilization ended in tears.  😄😃😁

With regard to  trying to sneak up on a player, without neccessarily intending to shoot them down "Counting Coup", it's not about taunting, or making fun, of other players, or not playing the game properly, it is more about the tactics of achieving the kill rather than the kill itself.  It's about flying tactically, using whatever is at hand to disguise your approach.  Any twit can get themselves into a fight, it's much more fun. and satisfying, once you've got over the thrill of endless furballs, to stalk your victim.  Shooting them down at the end is purely a matter of process, it's much more fun to make them jump when they eventually see you.  It's also kinder, less harsh, to Noobs but also a real broad smile moment when you manage to sneak up on a good player, who should be more aware. You don't even need to let them know of your presence, you can still get a self satisfied buzz.

25 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Surely to God they didn't give women the vote, did they ?  No wonder their ciilization ended in tears😄😃😁

With regard to  trying to sneak up on a player, without neccessarily intending to shoot them down "Counting Coup", it's not about taunting, or making fun, of other players, or not playing the game properly, it is more about the tactics of achieving the kill rather than the kill itself.  It's about flying tactically, using whatever is at hand to disguise your approach.  Any twit can get themselves into a fight, it's much more fun. and satisfying, once you've got over the thrill of endless furballs, to stalk your victim.  Shooting them down at the end is purely a matter of process, it's much more fun to make them jump when they eventually see you.  It's also kinder, less harsh, to Noobs but also a real broad smile moment when you manage to sneak up on a good player, who should be more aware. You don't even need to let them know of your presence, you can still get a self satisfied buzz.

That was by the principle of 'might is right', hardly 'civilised.'

Anyway..er.. sneaking up on people - Sudo does it all the time to me in RoF, the swine.

We have a good laugh about it and I thank him for not wasting me.. it is just a computer game after all.

S!

As to 'counting coup', I believe the Sioux would have a 'coup stick'... where they would show their bravery by touching the enemy with the stick.

If they could then ride away unscathed it was considered to be far braver than just shooting him down with bow  and arrow.

Love to see you lean out of the cockpit and do that!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

As to 'counting coup', I believe the Sioux would have a 'coup stick'... where they would show their bravery by touching the enemy with the stick.

If they could then ride away unscathed it was considered to be far braver than just shooting him down with bow  and arrow.

I bet that the old warriors who did that before Europeans reintroduced horses to America rolled their eyes at the young guys using horses.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Surely to God they didn't give women the vote, did they ?  No wonder their ciilization ended in tears.  😄😃😁

The measure of your skill in a game like this is to shoot people down, and anything else is hypothetical, best reserved for practice-time with your wingmen and friends.  The idea of "I *could* have shot you down, but I'm such a nice guy, that I decided be merciful" strikes me as smug nonsense.    Rationalizing your skill under the cover of a hypothetical "could've shot him down" seems like a copout.   If nothing else, absolutely terrible 'tactics'...because other players are there to achieve actual victory, not hypothetical victory, and while you're playing with your food, the joke is going to be on you when one of those hot-shot squadron guys, with something to prove, comes in and nails you.   If I learned one thing from RoF and Il-2, it's that the hunter is often the hunted, and bad things happen to those who get smug.

Edited by SeaSerpent

'Count Coup' all you want! Just don't expect me to extend the courtesy if you don't finish me off ;) 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Either way I'll just laugh and hit refly....

Edited by US103_Talbot

5 minutes ago, US103_Talbot said:

Either way I'll just laugh and hit refly....

You won't have to hit Refly...his bullets are purely theoretical, remember?...So just barrel roll back on his 6 and let him have it.  That is, if your wingman Larner hasn't come down from the perch and gotten him first.

Huh. That might be a good autobiography title...

Larner: Down From The Perch

• Like 1