stupor-mundi

Ping sensitivity of the new version

Posted (edited)

Formally speaking, this should probably be in the general multiplayer section, and not in tanks, however, on a practical level it's an issue I never encounter when flying.

This is about the specific issue of ping degradation when under fire in a tank, with the result of "player kicked due to bad ping". I.e. not about players kicked who actually have bad ping, but a multitasking issue that is I believe graphics related.

This used to happen to me, sometimes, when being strafed, and specifically looking at those many little explosions. It was often possible I believe to rescue this almost-kicked situation by looking away from the explosions, for instance by looking through the sight and being zoomed in. It pretty much never happened when being under fire by tank rounds.

On my hardware (laptop with external gpu, 1070) CPU never managed to get near being bottlenecked, it was always the GPU that was limiting. I really have no idea how graphics overload can cause bad ping when there is plenty of CPU capacity left, but being strafed and getting kicked due to ping were clearly linked.

I reduced the occurrence of this hugely by setting a dynamic resolution factor of 0.8.

Now with the new version, everything else being equal (same tank server, same broadband, same hardware), there have been radically more kicks due to bad ping. Each time it was when I got shot, but now, a few times, when I got shot by a tank, which never happened before. I've set my d.r.f. now to 0.7, so far it hasn't helped.

When this happens, when getting shot by a  tank, my graphics-based explanation which had neatly worked when this only happened when getting strafed, doesn't make as much sense anymore.

Does anyone have an idea of the mechanism at work here, and what to do about it?

Edited by stupor-mundi

Hello, Stupor!

I take it this is about e-front? On the server there are restrictions on ping... Maybe your ping is on the edge of the limit... I'll watch your network today if you're on the server.

Good luck....✌️

Hello, WorM!

Yes, it was :)
Thanks for having a look. I don't expect my ping will usually be near the limit, that's why I pointed out the connection with being under fire, or, having been shot. In the list of dogfight servers, from my perspective, at the moment EFront is listed with a ping of 82 ms (green).

I think I understand what happens. Now, in the new tanks, in the new version, when heavy damage occurs, this is modeled and animated, INSIDE the tank. For instance flames. So the effect from that is quite similar, and more extreme, to the graphics FPS drop when being strafed.
The good news is that when getting kicked under those conditions, the tank is basically useless anyways, and many people restart the application when their tank was blown up, since the chances of sound bug are high in that situation.