Sign in to follow this  
Melonfish

Finally flying!

I bought the original CloD a good number of years ago when it was on sale via steam, i dug out my x52 and loaded the game up, tbh i found it overly complex, juddery(my system didn't handle it well) and there was a learning curve there i wasn't quite ready to climb through my rosy 1946/HSFX glasses.

so it went away.

more recently i've been flying BoX and thoroughly enjoying it, but missing something a little more complex, so after a couple of run ups i've got myself configured and flying in CloD Blitz and i'm rather enjoying it, at present i'm still fiddling with the odd config option here and there but honestly throttle quadrants are a life saver in this game.

My main question for this group I guess would be what mods/addons are considered standard or required above the current version of the game or are there any major config tips i should follow with regards to info windows and key binds?
also does anyone have a guide for convergence and belt preferences?

thank you

Pete

TFS is the official group updating the game, creating addons, fixing bugs, so on. 5.0 will be the next addition, which is N. Africa and includes numerous changes, additions, fixes, new objects, aircraft, so on. 

As for convergence/belts... allied or axis, type of plane, so on. I prefer a mixture of AP and De Wilde in allied planes, can get some crispy axis planes that way. Convergence is pretty open ended. If you are a shaky stick you could do more of a shotgun type convergence to get hits, if you are a laser shooter then having a tighter group can get you kills with a burst or two. Just make multiple ones and save them, then load them up when you want to try different types. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Melonfish said:

My main question for this group I guess would be what mods/addons are considered standard or required above the current version of the game

You just need install IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz, available in your STEAM library, contains the latest Team fusion update - with their ups and downs. Further updates - when available, will be installed by STEAM.

...or are there any major config tips i should follow with regards to info windows and key binds?

The "complex engine" management of CloD is very similar to the one in BoX, if you used fly Bo"X  in Expert mode.

In fact with the latest update of Bo'X, start engine became more "complicated" than in CloD, is need set propeller pitch and RPM before press E, in CloD is just open Fuel Cock before press E.

For close, create, customize "Info Windows" in CloD - what is a welcome feature, miles ahead of that fixed "HUD'' of other flight games, see this topic:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3273&highlight=customize+Info+Windows

In this section o ATAG forum is listed the commands need for eeach plane for fly in MP servers "Full Real".

BTW - Ignore advises about "magneto switches", in CloD their use is pure fantasy, unless like pretend. ;)

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62

also does anyone have a guide for convergence and belt preferences?

For set ammo belts, are this two tools that help a lot - CloD controls GUI is very awkward, non intuitive and somewhat bugged. :)

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11555

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11427

Since convergence is matter of individual preference, make experiments.

The default convergence is set very high - for example for Spitfire is 333 meters/ 364 yards, what don't mach any  convergence used by RAF in "B of B" times.:negative:

Edited by Sokol1
  • Thanks 1