Pilotz

MicroProse Returns with Warbirds 2020

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

The payment model and the fact that it's coming to MOBILE means this game is DOA. Pass.

mobile is a different version..... they already have a mobile version of current game, the new one is releasing a year after the PC version, so they are working on it separately.

As for payment.... people are paying for 'World of Warcraft Classic' which is the same game that was 15 years ago.

Edited by Pilotz

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

BTW - For what worth the Free Player o WW Online (bolt rifleman class, good for hunt "rabbits" in that bush) was removed recently, now only a 30 days trial, and then monthly payment starts ($5 - $15).

Wow they are mad ;D game popularity drops beyond sea level and they remove f2p? Where is the logic here? I have never seen a company that does opposite and from f2p goes into paid subscription only. Who is managing these games?

They are clearly stupid... don't they look around how gaming looks today? How f2p games look..

@Pilotz

Paid subscription is a relict of the past. Comparing it to WoW is simply stupid. You are comparing the most successful mmo in the world, which is also rpg, genere 100 000x more popular than flight sims. Nothing that tried (star Wars the old Republic, elder scrolls and many more) could not keep subscription model alive even tho they used famous names.

Are you really that blind to believe that this game will have player base to fill even 1 server? xD there is not even f2p, you get the worst planes in mp game where everyone else will wipe you off the planet. It's not f2p, it's a trial version. In f2p everyone has equal chances just takes them longer to reach certain levels and items. But they can get them.

Really, have fun flying bf109E vs p51 on a server with 15 die hard fans who will pay for it. Because thats how this game going to end up. Price is another thing, if they keep 16$ then it's another deadly blow. Even WoW is cheaper than that. This price is simply ridiculous. I can literally play 2 mmo for a year for the price of warbirds.

Because so far it seems like you are the only one who is into it. Which does not even make sense. You hate grind so you would rather have completely no option to get additional planes for free... there is no logic in that. Both grind or paid unlocks are better, because you can actually pay few $ and have it forever instead of wasting 200$ a year.

Edit: just to show how delusional are these devs (WW II online)

After a detailed analysis of the resulting ROI we have come to the conclusion that offering you a temporary free trial generates a lot more engagement and offers you a better gaming experience overall.

Sure, removing option to play for free as rifleman offers people better gaming experience.

Edited by InProgress
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

You hate grind so you would rather have completely no option to get additional planes for free... there is no logic in that

If I will want to play with all planes I will get a sub, If early planes will be enough for me, I won't pay anything, and no it's not a 'trial', because trial ends and you cannot play, here you can play forever.

But i won't be talking about this anymore because I see you have made up your mind even before the game is released and we don't know at this moment if the game will be good or crap, I will wait for the game first.

Edited by Pilotz

11 hours ago, InProgress said:

Wow they are mad ;D game popularity drops beyond sea level and they remove f2p? Where is the logic here? I have never seen a company that does opposite and from f2p goes into paid subscription only. Who is managing these games?

F2P in WWII Online was introduced only relatively recently (think in 2010's) - in "hay days" are only a week trial once a year and when things became fade they adopt 30 days trial, now reintroduced.

But people with P2P accounts complain against F2P, and this mode fail in their objective to be a "gate" for new players, again because in 2010's  who will bother with a game with this graphics, and only with "low tier" weapons (bolt action)?  Neither "millennial generation" will play a game in what most times is need walk kilometers for combat areas.

In Warbids "hay days" (end of 90's), when it cost $2/hour, their smartly put bases far apart on map, sometimes requiring almost a hour of flight.

27 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

But people with P2P accounts complain against F2P, and this mode fail in their objective to be a "gate" for new players, again because in 2010's  who will bother with a game with this graphics, and only with "low tier" weapons (bolt action)?  Neither "millennial generation" will play a game in what most times is need walk kilometers for combat areas.

I think people would bother but it was clearly p2w and subscription was huge no for everyone. Heroes and Generals is similar game, it has combined arms combat with tanks, planes and infantry. It has huge map where people move forward to capture new locations and after a while win entire war. But it's free with some grind/cosmetics/unlocks. While it's not perfect, it's definitely better and something people want, unlike waste hundreds of $ per year with no other choice. 

I even really wanted to play ww2 when it was rereleased but when I saw rifleman only and forced subscription to play something else, I did not even bother to install.

It's such a shame, warbirds looked really promising. But subscription will only kill player base that won't be big anyway. Especially if they keep this ridiculous price. I am in thr east Europe, there is no way I am going to waste 200$ a year. When I used to play The Old Republic, EA actually had regional subscription which was 2x cheaper than on the west. Something you could actually pay. 

But I can't wait for release and laugh when they fail :) 2$ per hour? When you hear something like this you can easly lose all the respect for the company. 

I can't wait to see the finished thing because, honestly, besides this 109 cockpit everything seems from the last century.

1 hour ago, LF_Gallahad said:

I can't wait to see the finished thing because, honestly, besides this 109 cockpit everything seems from the last century.

They are old screenshots, this is newest one, the game will be on quality of that 109 cockpit.

Edited by Pilotz

56 minutes ago, LF_Gallahad said:

Especially paying method :rofl:

That's a very nice cockpit. I hope they remake 1942: The Pacific Air War.

Hi,

In the PC Pilot Issue 123 of september/october 2019 there is an interview with Microprose ! ...

https://pocketmags.com/eu/pc-pilot-magazine

The 4.49 EURO (one issue) is really worth it (more so this time because in tha issue they also review my beloved DCS World F-14B module :-)).

Microprose sure is coming back.

Even if they are asking for a montly subscription I personally wouldn't mind at all (if they truly deliver that is).

After all ... this is the famous Microprose (hope so anyway) that made our groundbreaking sims ... at the time.

Make it so !

Stefaan

2 hours ago, InProgress said:

Especially paying method :rofl:

Oh wow I am no paying monthly, nope. That's even worse than bad textures or FM. For me it seems a competition to War Thunder and WW2 Online rather than to a full sim. Remember that time has made that Sims are more accurate. Old sims are really arcade by now standards and Microprose are trying to revive an old sim rather than to reinvent themselves.

Edited by LF_Gallahad

Well, if this Bf 109 cockpit is not "trolling" like the rivets and propeller in that P-51, things look sufficient "eye candy" for a MMO. :good:

Edited by Sokol1

Hi,

In that "Return of an icon" article in PC Pilot mag I can only see 4 pics ... one of a tank (called 'alpha shot' and quite impressive) and 3 of a German WWIII warbird model (can't share more because ... that might not be allowed).

Not much one can tell from those pics (if anything).

But FWIW ... I Want To Believe !

Regards,

Stefaan

38 minutes ago, LF_Gallahad said:

Oh wow I am no paying monthly, nope. That's even worse than bad textures or FM. For me it seems a competition to War Thunder and WW2 Online rather than to a full sim. Remember that time has made that Sims are more accurate. Old sims are really arcade by now standards and Microprose are trying to revive an old sim rather than to reinvent themselves.

I think i would not mind paying like 5$ per month (there really should be some regional price, 15$ per month is a joke on the east), but main problem would be that subscription simply will kill this game. New people won't bother if there is free war thunder, old fans will stick to dcs and il-2.

Hi,

The biggest danger for the new(?) microprose is just that ... IL-2 and DCS competition has already been at it for many years with an amazing resources effort !

Being better than IL-2 GB is IMHO an almost impossible task these days.

*If* they can prove better than IL-2 as well as DCS (when hell freezes over ?) I am sure willing to spend that 15 USD / month.

Otherwise I am still willing to pay on a module basis if I like it enough.

I already invested in both DCS and IL-2 (something like 1500 EURO over the years, not much at all IMHO) ... so why not ... make it 3 ?

If you are into flight simming ... those amounts of money are nothing compared to the rest of the necessary hardware !? 

Regards,

Stefaan

What 109 variant is that?

It has the 13mm bulges of a G-6/14
It has the cockpit canopy of a E-4 or later
Yet it is missing the MG FF ammo counters which suggests it is a E-1.

Also subscription access is a dead business model for a game, it isn't the late 90s/early 00s anymore.

Edited by =362nd_FS=RoflSeal
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, =362nd_FS=RoflSeal said:

What 109 variant is that?

It has the 13mm bulges of a G-6/14
It has the cockpit canopy of a E-4 or later
Yet it is missing the MG FF ammo counters which suggests it is a E-1.

Also subscription access is a dead business model for a game, it isn't the late 90s/early 00s anymore.

Not only that but has the e style compass, this things a fucking mess lmao. No hope for this game at all.

I'll wait for more info.

Edited by Pilotz

I mean you can go to the ACES High forum and read their die hard fans saying it's the most realistic and best looking flight sim ever made, meanwhile the cockpits in that game are some of the worst I've ever seen, they have digital counters and shit in them. Impressing some of these people isn't that hard I guess, maybe might find an audience with the old guys who never really got a chance to see what real authenticity is. It's pretty clear the guys doing this game have no clue about accurate aircraft modeling, none of whats been shown so far is anywhere near realistic. That 109 cockpit at a glance looks ok, but after the stuff that's just been called out it's a fucking dumpster fire.

Edited by JonRedcorn

I found a real life 109 emil cockpit...... and it has the bulge outside, and the instruments are like in the picture for the most, it can be a different version from the linked pictured so some instruments are different, but for the most part, it is accurate, so it's some version of emil they created cockpit.

cockpit.jpg

https://www.flightjournal.com/luftwaffes-bf-109e-emil/

Edited by Pilotz

instrument panel would be e1 (no mg/ff ammo counters and prop-pitch-lever next to the rpm gauge instead of on the throttle), canopy e4 and no - the emil in your picture doesn't have mg131 bulges...

Does it matter what cockpit this is? If it is warbird 2020 it is probably going to be something mmo... Unlike DCS World or il-2. However the ceo mentioned in the interview the new Microprose would also reinvent old sims like Falcon 4 and Ah64d longbow and bring it up to 2020 Standards in a world big environment Unlike the rather limited maps of il-2 and DCS ! I am really looking Forward to all of this because, yes, I want to believe!!! 

Regards, 

Stefaan

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

I mean you can go to the ACES High forum and read their die hard fans saying it's the most realistic and best looking flight sim ever made, meanwhile the cockpits in that game are some of the worst I've ever seen, they have digital counters and shit in them. Impressing some of these people isn't that hard I guess, maybe might find an audience with the old guys who never really got a chance to see what real authenticity is. It's pretty clear the guys doing this game have no clue about accurate aircraft modeling, none of whats been shown so far is anywhere near realistic. That 109 cockpit at a glance looks ok, but after the stuff that's just been called out it's a fucking dumpster fire.

You have the same sort of people that still think EAW is the greatest thing since sliced bread and don't want to try anything newer. 

17 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

You have the same sort of people that still think EAW is the greatest thing since sliced bread and don't want to try anything newer. 

A state of the art eaw would interest me way more than an mmo with monthly subscription :)

2 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

Microprose would also reinvent old sims like Falcon 4

The modding community are doing a pretty good job on Falcon TBH.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

The modding community are doing a pretty good job on Falcon TBH.

Falcon BMS ❤️ ❤️❤️

Still amazed at it!

• Like 1

BMS is indeed fantastic, but just maybe Microprose can really completely redo Falcon with 2020 graphics engine and of course keep or even Improve the DC engine !???? But I personally doubt that after the Viper in DCS World they would risk this economically speaking??? But it all remains... So much Hype. Hype :-) 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

BMS is indeed fantastic, but just maybe Microprose can really completely redo Falcon with 2020 graphics engine and of course keep or even Improve the DC engine

And let people play it for just 15$ per month :rofl:

If those 15 usd per month would get me the Falcon 4 2020 experience... Why not!!!??? I, call me crazy I don't care, would gladly pay for admission to a revamped DC engine and awesome True to life realism! 

2 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

If those 15 usd per month would get me the Falcon 4 2020 experience... Why not!!!??? I, call me crazy I don't care, would gladly pay for admission to a revamped DC engine and awesome True to life realism! 

15$ for WarBirds, 15$ for Falcon 4. You can pay it, but to play MP game you need people. I don't think there will be lots of them. Subscription is relict of the past, today games that still have sub, are only selling some bonuses with it, if you stop paying you can still play like normal, you just don't get your monthly premium cash to buy cosmetics etc. You don't level up so fast etc. But they don't take away your class and characters. While in warbirds if you stop paying, you lost your plane. Go fly 109E0 that will be free.

I am saying all this because i am angry that would be good game will turn into a dead failure because devs are too blind to look around and see how world looks like. No one but their few remaining fanboys will actually pay for this. If this can do 1000 planes battles or something like this. Then i can assure you, there won't be enough peoples to full one server. IL-2 can get sometimes 1 full server with 80 people on WoL. And all you need to do is buy it on sale for 20$.  You think people will pay 15$ every month? You will see server "26/1000". Maybe in first weeks, lots of people will try it, if it has free version. But being forced to fly the oldest planes will drive them all away.

Edited by InProgress

@InProgress,

Sure, the gaming world has changed, but not for the better !

In those Microprose days an AAA-game/sim could be bought for a mere 40 USD.

But these days of MMOs ... if you don t pay aquite a bit more you will grind forever and ever.

I never bought into that scam and never will !

But something like 15 USD for the ENTIRE Microprose portfolio would IMHO be acceptable.

But if they ask that 15 USD for each individual title (as expected?) than indeed they (and us simmers) are Doomed ! 🙂

That infamous SC space-sim, forever in EA, can make people pay up hunderds if not thousands of USD, maybe Microprose will think ... why not to us too ???

I personally, being a fanboy, as you say, am willing to pay whatever it takes if Microprose ... delivers, something I personally am not ready to believe in ... just yet !

Regards,

Stefaan

There is something else that I really do not understand regarding the new Microprose.

Back in 2000 Microprose was the big name in the game-sim world.

Come 2020 ... DCS and IL-2 are the big boys.

This is Samson vs 2 ... Goliath-s.

Where are they getting the money, the knowledge, the game engine.

It took IL-2 GB and DCS world more than a decade to deliver (and still ... no DC etc).

A sim like even Falcon 2020 would take millions of lines of code ... do they have some kind of AI-like program

doing that for them ? 

It would take at least 30 incredible software and avionic engineers full time for years and years.

Maybe, just maybe they have been at this for so long ... we will know in a few months (according to the interview with their new CEO).

Here's hoping ...

Stefaan

Edited by simfan2015

52 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

Sure, the gaming world has changed, but not for the better !

It's much better than it was, sure there are some greedy corporations like EA or Epic etc. But you don't have to buy their games. There is plenty of good games.

54 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

In those Microprose days an AAA-game/sim could be bought for a mere 40 USD.

People did not make much back then. Just because you could buy game for 40$ back then does not mean it was todays 40$. People make more, stuff costs more, simple inflation. I am pretty sure making games today is also more expensieve. Sim in 2000 is nothing but an semi hardcore game in compare to todays sim games.

59 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

But these days of MMOs ... if you don t pay aquite a bit more you will grind forever and ever.

There is no grind on its own. You grind as free player or you simply pay for it. You have a choice. F2P games are expensieve if you want everything. But if i would be able to buy 3-4 planes i want in warbords and stick to them, it's much better deal for me that paying forever 15$ just to fly them. You will spend more money on that than buying what you really want. I really don't understand you here, "if you don't pay then you grind", but what are you doing in WarBirds? You only pay, that's your only option. Pay or you have nothing. Stop paying you have nothing.

1 hour ago, simfan2015 said:

That infamous SC space-sim, forever in EA, can make people pay up hunderds if not thousands of USD, maybe Microprose will think ... why not to us too ???

It's pay once and you have it. There is no subscription. Only some space ships you can buy as DLC. Buy and have them forever. It's nothing like Microprose  subsctiption. It also has single player so you don't need other 999 people to play with you.

This entire topic has like 2 people willing to pay to play. No one else here is happy about it and this is forum of ww2 sim lovers. If no one here really is interested in it, then regular people who would like to try new game won't either. There is no game on the market that requires subscription and is popular, apart from World of Warcraft. And i am 100%, Microprose won't change that.

@InProgress,

I fully agree.

Also, and especially about the fact that sims (IL-2 and DCS) are no longer the game/sims of 2000 and much more involving and complicated. 

Yet I don't know this gaming niche can survive on 1 time payments.

That is why some people are so mad at ED/DCS ... they keep on bringing new modules into the mix before others (and DCS itself) is perfected ... to make more and/or just enough money out of their business model.

But I agree that as customers we would prefer it all otherwise and surely not be forced into the subscription model.

Regards,

Stefaan

9 hours ago, InProgress said:

I don't think there will be lots of them. Subscription is relict of the past, today games that still have sub, are only selling some bonuses with it, if you stop paying you can still play like normal, you just don't get your monthly premium cash to buy cosmetics etc.

If - what will not happens, WWII Online was re-released with better graphics, let's, say like Rising Storm Vietnam , I pay $15/mount with pleasure, because no other FPS game around, "AAA" or not, give that gameplay. :)

Edited by Sokol1

55 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

If - what will not happens, WWII Online was re-released with better graphics, let's, say like Rising Storm Vietnam , I pay $15/mount with pleasure, because no other FPS game around, "AAA" or not, give that gameplay. :)

Arma 3?

No, and I have 2.823 hours in ARMA 3 MP.

I think this is all basically vaporware. The guy who took over this company owns the rights to the TitanIM engine. Apparently he's bought the Microprose name and is going to try and make some type of full world full scale game out of it, from ww1 to modern day. Ever heard of too good to be true? Yeah rings a bell.

The base is already there, they just need to make the models and turn it into a game.

Ever heard of too good to be true?

While true, he single handledly built Titanim and real life military forces around the world are using it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvR1HU1IHcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLduhu5wclM

D2Gx7cMUwAYOAnP.jpg