Sign in to follow this  
Blitzen

Best way to clean VR lenses?

I have a Pimax 5K and because of its cumbersome headstrap the lenses tend to rub against my eye lids or more often get dragged across my forehead and hair smearing or fogging the lenses. I am replacing the headstraps this week, but need to know the best possible way to wipe the lenses without scratching them...Suggestions??

I use my warm breath and then a microfiber cloth to clean mine.

I’m afraid to ask my wife so I’ll ask a perfect stranger: what around the house qualifies as micro fiber cloth?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I’m afraid to ask my wife so I’ll ask a perfect stranger: what around the house qualifies as micro fiber cloth?

It is just a very fine cloth, can get them in most any store. Grocery, hardware, online, etc.

Does not leave any cloth particles behind.

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

it's a silky looking cloth that usually comes with any glasses you ever buy.. (if they're in the case)...  Or just use silk cloth - same thing. It's very fine and soft for the optics.

I would stop by any optometrist or place that sells glasses and buy some cleaning cloths and an eyeglasses cleaning solution. It comes in a spray bottle. Works very well.

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I have a Pimax 5K and because of its cumbersome headstrap the lenses tend to rub against my eye lids or more often get dragged across my forehead and hair smearing or fogging the lenses. I am replacing the headstraps this week, but need to know the best possible way to wipe the lenses without scratching them...Suggestions??

Use a specific glasses cleaning cloth. Don't use spray or solution. Use circular motions around the lenses to clean them, not rubbing up and down across them. And be gentle.

I work in film, to clean lenses we use Kimtech Kim Wipes, they're what optometrists use to clean their devices too. 

I use whisky infused breath and t-shirt.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Horna said:

I use whisky infused breath and t-shirt.

A caveat... it must be quality whisky... no cheap stuff.  😁

• Haha 3

The cloth that comes with cellphone/tablet screen protector kit. Also, the one in eyeglasses cleaning kits. Some sunglasses have them in their cases, too.

9 hours ago, Thad said:

Maker’s Mark is pretty good but the hell if I’d waste a drop of it on a VR headset.

I have a spray perfume "mister" that I use with Vermouth to make very dry Martinis...perhaps this might work?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I have a spray perfume "mister" that I use with Vermouth to make very dry Martinis...perhaps this might work?

Noooo. $8 from Amazon will get you a lifetime supply of cleaning fluid and a couple cloths:

https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Bundle-Bottles-Clearview-Cleaner/dp/B074T1B9HB/ref=sr_1_33?keywords=lens%2Bcleaner&qid=1560877674&refresh=1&s=gateway&sr=8-33&th=1

And this:

https://www.vive.com/ca/support/vive/category_howto/cleaning-the-headset-lens.html

Edit: Oh wait. You were probably just joking. Sorry my detector is on fail this morning.

Edited by Alonzo

Posted (edited)

You got that right Bubba!🍸🍸🍸

Edited by Blitzen

A cloth for normal glasses works just fine. I think oculus recommended circular motion from center and out. If too greasy, I have used spray for cleaning glasses before wiping. You can get it at the optician. It's mild, and shouldn't damage any filtering layer that might have been applied to a lens.

On 6/17/2019 at 1:57 PM, Thad said:

Would Tequila count too?

• Upvote 1