Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

 

You know that top image isn't a photo, right?

 

To be honest, nope I didn´t realize that. Where is it from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sevenless said:

What I find interesting is the difference in pilot position in the photo back then compared to today. Or am I seeing things which are not there?

 

 

 

41E5840E-ECCB-4629-8765-E776AFD349A2.jpeg.31e18299d683dded52d86cb34dacbfa8.jpeg



This Mustang has been modified to accept a rear jump seat, which necessitates both the enlarged, blown canopy and moving the pilot forward (as well as the obvious deletion of the fuel cell, radio and battery)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sevenless said:

 

To be honest, nope I didn´t realize that. Where is it from?

 

Looks like a composite from photos and IL2 1946. The pilot is the russian pilot from 46.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Just now, [DBS]Browning said:

Looks like a composite from photos and IL2 1946. The pilot is the russian pilot from 46.

 

13 minutes ago, sevenless said:

To be honest, nope I didn´t realize that. Where is it from?

 

This Pic is from War thunder/Wings of Prey(same Engine as WT) on sicily map. xd

Edited by MeoW.Scharfi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 357th_Dog said:

This Mustang has been modified to accept a rear jump seat, which necessitates both the enlarged, blown canopy and moving the pilot forward (as well as the obvious deletion of the fuel cell, radio and battery)

 

Ah thanks, that explains it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [DBS]Browning said:

 

You know that top image isn't a photo, right?

 

Not sure what you are talking about. Here is the pic of the real plane I'm using as reference:

 

P-51D - North American Mustang

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jonttu1 said:

Anybody else really hoping there's going to be a Tuskegee skin for the Mustang? tuskegee-airmen-p-51-mustang-white-background-art-print-craig-tinder.jpg.95a7a32ec3d6b939112ed14fc16a0cb4.jpg

YEAPP!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 357th_Dog said:

This Mustang has been modified to accept a rear jump seat, which necessitates both the enlarged, blown canopy and moving the pilot forward

Looking at photos of WWII P-51's the pilot seemed to have a very "forward" position in the cockpit.

 

p-51-ad.thumb.jpg.4cdc7d558f29f5d88eb1a58e5457da2a.jpg

 

2136365690_1200px-P-51-361(1).thumb.jpg.05d34a275292c1da3d26c99b50f37b8c.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

375th_Fighter_Squadron_North_American_P-51D-5-NA_Mustang_44-13926.thumb.jpg.a56ccd2e05c6c2dd3ae22271fe5da0a0.jpg

 

Even the manual from WWII shows the pilot in a very forward position.

 

 p-51.JPG.1891d5878b00499314eac79c89ebe51e.thumb.jpg.5a50e3b946e7f1d6209fb95edc9b898f.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that not quite natural? If you look at your car headrest vs. your actual sitting position, most people tend to lean further forward. I do when I get some flying, but pulling ‘g’ I guess that my head goes back.

 

I do love it’s balance of elegance and aggression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

If you look at your car headrest vs. your actual sitting position, most people tend to lean further forward.

In the aircraft, this is not a headrest. It is a padded armor plate located sufficiently far behind for you to be able to turn your neck and see that other guy near your six.

 

What is a headrest anyway... On an 80's Bentley Turbo R, the rear sear headrest are hard as mahogany bricks. They hurt you when you even think about "resting your head". No clue what they were intended for besides "being there".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Is that not quite natural? If you look at your car headrest vs. your actual sitting position, most people tend to lean further forward. I do when I get some flying, but pulling ‘g’ I guess that my head goes back.

There are many photos of WWII P-51's with the pilot in a very forward position. The early Mustangs seem to have had a seating position set slightly further back but later versions definitely have that forward position. 

1937716988_d73910bf892be6392934b5b4fda3c3bd(2).thumb.jpg.de30a7017f3f48c2cc3bfef9cb3679e5.jpg

 

p-51-4.jpg.b31246c0cdda74fb409f53ab016fa8eb.jpg

 

The 3D model from WT/WP game seems to have the pilot set back far too much.

 

CindyLind-1.jpg.0e41e55eca718151839b62739a2b6283.jpg

    

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

n the aircraft, this is not a headrest. It is a padded armor plate located sufficiently far behind for you to be able to turn your neck and see that other guy near your six.

 

I know. What I meant was that one tends to sit more vertically when driving / flying than the seat position might suggest. Therefore, the pilot appears to be further ‘forward’ owing to the natural gap between the head and the seat.

 

Also, the forward canopy rail is intended to be looked over and under, which is easiest performed from a forward position.

2 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

The 3D model from WT/WP game seems to have the pilot set back far too much.

 

Yes, I agree. The model appears to have taken the seat position / headrest / armour as the natural posture, which I was pointing out is not natural.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Also, the forward canopy rail is intended to be looked over and under, which is easiest performed from a forward position.

Being able to reach the instrument panel is quite important too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Elem said:

Being able to reach the instrument panel is quite important too!

 

You can normally do that from way back - one advantage of analogue instruments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EAF19_Marsh said:

that from way back

My cousin was rejected from RAF fast jet training. her arms were half an inch too short apparently. She's been known as T-Rex ever since.

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 3:58 AM, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

My cousin was rejected from RAF fast jet training. her arms were half an inch too short apparently. She's been known as T-Rex ever since.

 

That is one of the funniest damn things I've heard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 12:58 PM, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

My cousin was rejected from RAF fast jet training. her arms were half an inch too short apparently. She's been known as T-Rex ever since.

 

That's actually quite sad tho. Mostly because people who call her that wouldn't have made as well.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 12:02 PM, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

 

 

 p-51.JPG.1891d5878b00499314eac79c89ebe51e.thumb.jpg.5a50e3b946e7f1d6209fb95edc9b898f.jpg

 

 

Just freaking look at him! Look how happy he looks sitting in that cockpit! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

 

 

Just freaking look at him! Look how happy he looks sitting in that cockpit! 

Why not? After all, we all know He's off to win the war. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

rest assured, she takes no sh*t.

 

Well at least now no-one will call her "fast".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 3:15 AM, Cpt_Siddy said:

 

 

Just freaking look at him! Look how happy he looks sitting in that cockpit! 

I would be happy too sitting in this sexy beast having such air supremacy. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 5:48 AM, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

The 3D model from WT/WP game seems to have the pilot set back far too much.

 

But, seriously, what does WT get modeled correctly anyway....amirite?  😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BM357_TinMan said:

 

But, seriously, what does WT get modeled correctly anyway....amirite?  😉

 

Not the P-47D at 70", though it was initially reasonably close to being correct, then it got VSN'd to the attached power curve, and then it ended up getting corrected.

Retarded devs are retarded.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 7:48 AM, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

The 3D model from WT/WP game seems to have the pilot set back far too much

 

He also looks a little too big for the plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Some 4th FG romance...

 

37578975_10155749293230838_5065189368944

37940019_10155746244425838_2237768997342

37969532_10155747414135838_3005024940102

38467907_10155757595405838_5921922210762

38473830_10155757528135838_4781957441371

39239690_10155782965860838_3942025695571

38838029_528828620879883_424524892638019

I'm sure there are some pictures there someplace. Here's my 4thFG contribution. Col. Don Blakeslee.

image.png.45564416aef4888bbcb1596746eca9fd.png

image.thumb.png.ac1bb9fa6cab3157e48442e263793469.png

Edited by Rjel
photo added
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have missed it in the last 20 pages...but will our variant have the K-14 gyro gunsight as an option? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 11:05 AM, PainGod85 said:

 

Not the P-47D at 70", though it was initially reasonably close to being correct, then it got VSN'd to the attached power curve, and then it ended up getting corrected.

Retarded devs are retarded.JPG


What am I looking at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would like this skin, current model I am working on.

 

Edited by AKA_Big10
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pre said:

I may have missed it in the last 20 pages...but will our variant have the K-14 gyro gunsight as an option? 

 

Yes:

 

Pony_Cockpit_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...