Sign in to follow this  
Hellcat4280

Bf109 Model build in progress

Nice work. 😎

Seeing the insides like that makes clear just how big the cannon was. Or possibly how little room there was in there for the pilot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Nice work. 😎

Seeing the insides like that makes clear just how big the cannon was. Or possibly how little room there was in there for the pilot.

Having sat in a 109, I can tell you there is probably more room in it for the pilot than in a car. The impression was how low and far I was sitting to the dashboard. The cocpit is really long and you are sitting there with your legs streched almost horizontal (helps g resistance). The second is that the 109 may be a relatively small aircraft, but its still a big 10 meter brute attached to a 35 liter engine which is huge by itself, so all the talk about how small it is gets really weird when you are standing right next it (or on its wings 😛 ) . 

The cannon is of course in between your feet, but its not particularly in the way. The pedals are there and they are surprisingly ergonomic for the time period. The whole sitting position is quite natural, like in a sportcar. A bit like the Mazda MX 5, but there is way more room in the 109. Headroom might be the only challange if you are very tall.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VO101Kurfurst said:

Having sat in a 109, I can tell you there is probably more room in it for the pilot than in a car. The impression was how low and far I was sitting to the dashboard. The cocpit is really long and you are sitting there with your legs streched almost horizontal (helps g resistance). The second is that the 109 may be a relatively small aircraft, but its still a big 10 meter brute attached to a 35 liter engine which is huge by itself, so all the talk about how small it is gets really weird when you are standing right next it (or on its wings 😛 ) . 

The cannon is of course in between your feet, but its not particularly in the way. The pedals are there and they are surprisingly ergonomic for the time period. The whole sitting position is quite natural, like in a sportcar. A bit like the Mazda MX 5, but there is way more room in the 109. Headroom might be the only challange if you are very tall.

I thought the 109's issue was more trying to turn around in it? Not a lack of legroom, but a lack of shoulder room

22 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

I thought the 109's issue was more trying to turn around in it? Not a lack of legroom, but a lack of shoulder room

Shoulder room is fine IMO. You have a couple of inches / centimeters on both sides, probably tight if you have airmen's suit etc on you but still just sufficient. Really the only size issue is with the cabin roof touching your head if you are very tall - but the 30s people were generally of smaller stature (many coming from worker families, and with the great depression, many people were insufficient nutrition, leading to smaller stature, especially in Germany / hey, look at Hartmann, he was a skinny guy). Hence why early 109K protos had a raised (blown) upper plexi in the cabin, or Czech post-war 109 'mules'. The seat had adjustable height for this (early 109s had a seat lever, later ones just different screw positions for fixing the seat's height), but even tall guys like Tobak who was iirc something like 195 cm cramped themselves into the cocpit somehow.

IMO if turning is impaired its more due to the slightly reclined seating position, and also because you are strapped into the seat. Then there is natural human limitations - even in a comfy office chair or in a car I can't turn my head  back 180 degrees like an owl. 

4 hours ago, Hellcat4280 said:

Construction in progress

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0557.thumb.JPG.22e8bb5c07dd3113c655b9cbb4e0bbe1.JPG

Hi mate,

very nice work indeed as already stated by the others - I'm not sure, but it seems to be a 1/32 Trumpeter kit, isn't it? Well, I build 2 of them - one 109 E7 and the other

was a 109 G6. If this is actually a Trumpeter kit, so be aware, that the engine hood is quite tricky as your MG on top of the engine will be some kind of a fitting problem

if you intend to have the hood removable... I had to decide to display the hood open or closed, both options are nearly impossible because of those MG barrels.

Good work!

Cheers

Always nice to see people's work 

Have you seen this thread

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

A work of art already!

Thanks! I will post a full build video when I finish it. 

7 hours ago, -=-THERION said:

Hi mate,

very nice work indeed as already stated by the others - I'm not sure, but it seems to be a 1/32 Trumpeter kit, isn't it? Well, I build 2 of them - one 109 E7 and the other

was a 109 G6. If this is actually a Trumpeter kit, so be aware, that the engine hood is quite tricky as your MG on top of the engine will be some kind of a fitting problem

if you intend to have the hood removable... I had to decide to display the hood open or closed, both options are nearly impossible because of those MG barrels.

Good work!

Cheers

Thanks and Yes, this is 1/32 109K4 by Trumpeter, Thanks for noticing me, I'll keep that in mind. I think they made it as a "static" model which I noticed that the propeller is fixed as well, also the flaps can only set to full retract position, so I did some trimming and sanding for landing/ takeoff position

8 hours ago, Zippy-do-dar said:

Nice work what scale is the kit?

Check out this guy on you-tube  TOMs Modelling in Motion

I love his work

Thanks It's 1/32 scale bf109K4 by Trumpeter

Posted (edited)

Nicely done!

I'm currently working on the Revell 1/32 BF-109-G10 Erla model which, sadly doesn't included the beautiful DB605 engine like your. What a great kit and a great job assembling it.

Here's my cockpit before assembly

IMG_20190509_134556.jpg

IMG_20190509_134607.jpg

IMG_20190509_134658.jpg

Edited by pfrances
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Hellcat4280 said:

Construction in progress

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0557.thumb.JPG.22e8bb5c07dd3113c655b9cbb4e0bbe1.JPG

Just beautiful!  Really nice work on all of the dials. 

Cockpits are always the trickiest, most time consuming and least rewarding (as far as watching the plane come together) part, and always first, ugh. 

So has 1/48 gone out of style?  It was right on the verge of impossibility to get dials and such painted without either fudging or just throwing the decal on.

Also does anyone else get some major 1/48 scale model vibes while flying il2?  Something about the scale or skin resolution or maybe poly count and flying certain aircraft I built or saw in a revel catalogue.

Like in my limited sim experience, the warbirds 2/air warrior period felt like flying micro machines(1:160/Nscale for trains), warbirds 3/fs:sdoe was like micro machines military (1/144 iirc), il2:1946 was more like 1:72 snaptite and now we're at 1:48 monogram/revel level 2 kits.  Maybe with 4k it feels more like 1:24?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Hellcat4280 said:

Construction in progress

Looks great! I enjoy the hobby as well, here are a few..

0941B6F3-0B6B-4F29-82D9-617DDFDCD043.jpe

DCD7CADA-6E40-414F-95AB-723834FCF926.jpe

D0461DE7-510D-4291-A436-8C345D0DACF6.jpe

4.jpg

Edited by 1_Robert_
Double image
  • Upvote 3

Yeah, no doubt moderator will move this thread to the model thread as noted above under the Free Subject forum so these works of art can been seen and get the credit they deserve (well, I mean not like they aren’t here but you know). Good stuff.