kitsunelegend

Dumb question but um...

Wheres the fuel gauge on the 262? xD

I cant read german to save my life, so any help would be appreciated. In fact, are their any mods that change the cockpits to english? I know people wanna be authentic and all, but to me, authentic means being able to read and understand the damn cockpit gauges cause you know.... I'm a german pilot... who is supposed to speak and read fluent german... in a german plane... that has german writing... in my mind, that means I should be able to read the cockpit gauges with ease. But since irl me cant read german at all... it ruins my immersion something fierce...

So yeah, anyone know of a mod that changes that?

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

You don't really need to know the words. Just learn the color layout of the gauges for their system. Such as fuel is yellow.

Full fuel tanks
2NrA36M.png

Critically low with warning lights.
5vN3lu1.png

Full cockpit view
P2i5rwF.jpg

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

The camera on Google Translate will work on the cockpit. check it out!

B132B123-96B6-4B5E-93EB-D64C5B065EA8.jpeg

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

*snip*

I mean, thats great and all, but I'd still very much like a mod or option to change that to english. After all, I'm supposed to be a german pilot that can read german with no issue. But because irl me cant read german, I feel like it should at least have the option to translate it into english for better understanding and immersion. Just makes sense to me.

But thanks for showing me where the fuel gauges are anyway...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, kitsunelegend said:

I mean, thats great and all, but I'd still very much like a mod or option to change that to english. After all, I'm supposed to be a german pilot that can read german with no issue. But because irl me cant read german, I feel like it should at least have the option to translate it into english for better understanding and immersion. Just makes sense to me.

But thanks for showing me where the fuel gauges are anyway...

You realize that would require someone to retexture every German cockpit with english right? That would be a massive texture pack to create when just learning the color layout or learning the words on the gauge would be much more reasonable.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

Full left and right tanks

As native german speaking, I can tell you, it is rear (Vorratsanzeige hinten) and front (Vorratsanzeige vorne).

• Upvote 3

Are you the same Kitsune from World of Warships by any chance?

I’m not fluent in German either, but the numbers are the same and converting to metric is pretty easy, and a real life skill you might actually need.

Requiem has done a nice job on his Me262 cockpit tutorial. You might want to watch it. Once you learn where the gauges are and what they do, who reads the label anyway? I doubt you need a label to know what the artificial horizon and the compass are.

• Haha 1

This channel shows you everything about the cockpit layouts

As an interesting sidenote - if somebody hasn't noticed it yet, Russians also have crucial engine related gauges color coded for convenience: Fuel: yellow, Coolant: green and Oil: red.

image.png.26d7929bd8ca8e7efcf29bd552fb6790.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

They knew that most players won't be able to read cyrillic😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 6/16/2019 at 3:48 AM, Geronimo553 said:

You don't really need to know the words. Just learn the color layout of the gauges for their system. Such as fuel is yellow.

Full left and right tanks
2NrA36M.png

Critically low with warning lights for left and right tanks.
5vN3lu1.png

Full cockpit view
P2i5rwF.jpg

Not left and right, Hinten - Rear (behind), Vorne - Front (ahead)

so left gauge is rear tank, right gauge front tank ;)

20 minutes ago, Melonfish said:

Not left and right, Hinten - Rear (behind), Vorne - Front (ahead)

so left gauge is rear tank, right gauge front tank ;)

Well depending if you are stood next to the aircraft on the portside the front tank would be on the left and the rear on the right! However looking from the stbd side it would be the opposite way around. Ok only teasing! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danielprates said:

A big giveaway is the large L, which stands (I guess) for LITERS.

Well it could be Lebensmüde?

the dial gets higher the more you throw your throttle around.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Melonfish said:

Well it could be Lebensmüde?

the dial gets higher the more you throw your throttle around.

Good queation, I don't speak german. However, since it is right below the dial's needle, and the dials point to 'numbers' (0 to 9 x 100), I am pretty sure it refers to the 'unit' those numbers relate to. That would have to be liters, since everything else in the cockpit is metric. Same as the speedometer, it informs the pilot that the reading is in km/h.

Edit: btw, both dials total at 900 liters, and indeed the 262 carried a total of 1800 liters of fuel. Querosene, I am imagining.

Edited by danielprates

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, danielprates said:

Edit: btw, both dials total at 900 liters, and indeed the 262 carried a total of 1800 liters of fuel. Querosene, I am imagining.

From the IL-2 GB Me 262 specification:

262-fuel.png

If you start with full fuel, you can see the main tanks partially empty and then refill (about half an hour in, I think) if you check often enough.

Edited by AndyJWest

2 hours ago, Rekt said:

Not to be confused with the much tastier Queijosene 🤣

Doesn't take you very high, but will go far with some beers and a decent game to watch!

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

From the IL-2 GB Me 262 specification:

262-fuel.png

If you start with full fuel, you can see the main tanks partially empty and then refill (about half an hour in, I think) if you check often enough.

Interesting system. To keep the CoM in place without burdening the pilot with transfer actions, I would imagine!

In fact I am surprised how the 262, being a complex machine as it was, still managed to have a relativelly clean, logic cockpit!

In some ways, jets are simpler to operate than piston-engined aircraft. There is really only one significant moving part in the engine itself, and throttle control is little more than a fuel flow valve. Messerschmitt clearly intended to keep engine management as clear and simple as practical, given that pilots would have no prior experience with it. I think they did a good job. Certainly better than some WW2 cockpits, which seem to resemble a battlefield resulting from an three-way argument between an electrician, a clockmaker, and a plumber... ;)

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, danielprates said:

Good queation, I don't speak german. However, since it is right below the dial's needle, and the dials point to 'numbers' (0 to 9 x 100), I am pretty sure it refers to the 'unit' those numbers relate to. That would have to be liters, since everything else in the cockpit is metric. Same as the speedometer, it informs the pilot that the reading is in km/h.

I was being silly, Leben (life) müde (tired), it's akin to being depressed/fed-up with life and is sort of dark humour related, you could be described this way if you're doing something out of character to spice up your life if you were down.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Melonfish said:

I was being silly, Leben (life) müde (tired), it's akin to being depressed/fed-up with life and is sort of dark humour related, you could be described this way if you're doing something out of character to spice up your life if you were down.

Those wacky germans.... not happy with coining the term "weltschmerz", they had to come up with another one that means almost the same thing!

I sussed the cockpit dials in 30 seconds, it's obvious....:rolleyes:

When I get a new aircraft I get a screenshot of the panel, label the important dials then print it.   If it is not obvious what everything is then maybe I will watch one of the Youtube  'How To Fly...' type videos.   I have a folder full of these along with scribbled margin notes on each about Continuous/Combat settings, VNE, quirks etc. When I have to fly something I am rusty on then I pull out the appropriate sheet of paper and pin it on the wall beside me 🙂

On 6/17/2019 at 5:02 PM, danielprates said:

1800 liters of fuel.

1800...not great, not terrible ;)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The specs for the aircraft say 2570 Litres, totaling 2161kg.  Which BTW is the same fuel load as the Embraer Phenom that a buddy of mine flies, but it has twice the endurance of the 262.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

23 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

The specs for the aircraft say 2570 Litres, totaling 2161kg.  Which BTW is the same fuel load as the Embraer Phenom that a buddy of mine flies, but it has twice the endurance of the 262.

Yes, I forgot to check and considered only the main tanks. 

34 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

1800...not great, not terrible ;)

This guy gets it!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, danielprates said:

This guy gets it!

No he doesn't. Because its not there. Get him to sickbay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cpt_Cool said:

No he doesn't. Because its not there. Get him to sickbay.

He's delusional, what about the fire? Call the fire brigade!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rekt said:

I'm so lost right now...

The compass is the big dial with the aeroplane on it. ;)

Just now, Rekt said:

Yeah...I keep looking for the big "N" on the ground but I don't see it.

Just fly in a straight line. If you come across polar bears, you are flying north. If its penguins you are flying south. If you find yourself back were you started, you've been going either east or west, so turn through 90 degrees and then look for polar bears or penguins.

44 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

He's delusional, what about the fire? Call the fire brigade!

Explain to me then how a Jumo-004 B1 Jet Engine just "flames out." You can't. Because its impossible.

1 hour ago, Cpt_Cool said:

Explain to me then how a Jumo-004 B1 Jet Engine just "flames out." You can't. Because its impossible.

I wasn't there when you increased the power, I was on the toilet!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Plus it has a roomier cabin!

A buddy of mine flies the Phenom 300, too. Always talks about how a simple GPS-failure kills 80% of the airplane's capability - including pressurization and the yaw-damper.

Apart from that it's a nice plane.

So, which would win in a dogfight, a Phenom 300 or a Me 262?

On 6/16/2019 at 9:59 AM, BlitzPig_EL said:

Are you the same Kitsune from World of Warships by any chance?

Late reply I know, but yes, I am the very same kitsune. Though tbh I haven't touched WoWS in a very long time. I'm surprised people there even remember me xD

Posted (edited)

You have a very distinctive online name, hard to forget.   I don't play the "boat game" much anymore either. A pity as it had so much potential.   Hope you enjoy your time in the sky.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL