Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Kurp

Coop Options in BoX

Hello, its been some time since I've played IL-2 BoX and most of my time has been spent in single-player.

I was curious what options there were for coop? I see they have a coop server option but only a default example mission is offered and I don't see many here on the forums available.

Is there a way to convert singleplayer campaign missions to multiplayer coop missions? Thanks.

PWCG 6 has been in the works for about 8 months now.  This is a significant rewrite of a 100K plus line code base, so it takes time.  However it's getting there.  Hope the alpha for coop can be released in a month or two.

PWCG 6 will allow many participants in any squadron flying for any side.  It is coop and not MP.  Access is controlled by a host who will run the campaign.  The missions will be PWCG missions in a PWCG campaign, just with lots of humans flying on all sides. 

This format accomplishes several things. 

• Players will be known and hopefully trusted by the host. 
  • Players will have an incentive to fly as real pilots did. 
    • Lose your virtual life and you start over as a new pilot.  
  • You can have multiple personas in the campaign.
    • Choose to fly fighters one mission and dive bombers the next.
    • Have something to do if your main pilot is wounded and cannot fly for some time.
  • Great for squads that want to conduct a war.
  • Great for a like minded group of players who want to fly missions in a larger framework.
  • If you want pure coop (not human vs human) you can still have it at any level you want - everybody in the same squadron or flyers in different squadrons on the same side.
  • If you want to fly against your friends then you can do that as well.

As far as I am aware nothing like this has ever been done before (I could be wrong).  Flight simmers have had MP for dueling with humans and single player for campaigns, but never campaigns with lots of players.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

PWCG 6 has been in the works for about 8 months now.  This is a significant rewrite of a 100K plus line code base, so it takes time.  However it's getting there.  Hope the alpha for coop can be released in a month or two.

PWCG 6 will allow many participants in any squadron flying for any side.  It is coop and not MP.  Access is controlled by a host who will run the campaign.  The missions will be PWCG missions in a PWCG campaign, just with lots of humans flying on all sides. 

This format accomplishes several things. 

• Players will be known and hopefully trusted by the host. 
  • Players will have an incentive to fly as real pilots did. 
    • Lose your virtual life and you start over as a new pilot.  
  • You can have multiple personas in the campaign.
    • Choose to fly fighters one mission and dive bombers the next.
    • Have something to do if your main pilot is wounded and cannot fly for some time.
  • Great for squads that want to conduct a war.
  • Great for a like minded group of players who want to fly missions in a larger framework.
  • If you want pure coop (not human vs human) you can still have it at any level you want - everybody in the same squadron or flyers in different squadrons on the same side.
  • If you want to fly against your friends then you can do that as well.

As far as I am aware nothing like this has ever been done before (I could be wrong).  Flight simmers have had MP for dueling with humans and single player for campaigns, but never campaigns with lots of players.  

thanks been waiting on this since launch.  will take the game to the next level

Now running a coop for BoX you need to open certain ports... 

In other games, the game does this for you... (I could be wrong?) dcs.... load up and go, arma3... load up and go...

why is BoX different in this case?

1 hour ago, spartan85 said:

In other games, the game does this for you... (I could be wrong?) dcs.... load up and go, arma3... load up and go...

As a player,  people used to tell me I could not join Coops unless I opened certain ports up but it is not true as I don't have those ports specificall opened and I never have trouble.

14 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

As a player,  people used to tell me I could not join Coops unless I opened certain ports up but it is not true as I don't have those ports specificall opened and I never have trouble.

only host have to open ports, clients can join with no problem and dont need to change anything

1 hour ago, spartan85 said:

hosted plenty of arma and dcs coops for friends... Always had to port forward... Frankly its not witchcraft, a few quick setting in the router to open the ports that either the game or a quick DDG can give the answer for than ppl can join your server. In IL2 so far I relied on community built coop missions, altering them to have the planes me and my friend(s) wanted to fly. And as for @PatrickAWlson that sound like a dream come true! Flying a campaign with friends that is allowing us to take different squads at the same time sounds awesome (bombers and the covering fighters for example)

44 minutes ago, E4GLEyE said:

hosted plenty of arma and dcs coops for friends... Always had to port forward... Frankly its not witchcraft, a few quick setting in the router to open the ports that either the game or a quick DDG can give the answer for than ppl can join your server. In IL2 so far I relied on community built coop missions, altering them to have the planes me and my friend(s) wanted to fly. And as for @PatrickAWlson that sound like a dream come true! Flying a campaign with friends that is allowing us to take different squads at the same time sounds awesome (bombers and the covering fighters for example)

That scenario is going to come in a later update.  For 6.0 every player flight will be independent of the others.  It is more code to examine the players involved, which squadrons they fly for, and how their flights can be coordinated. 

The good part is that I am writing the foundational code now that will make that analysis and realization possible.  Once the core comes out (many thousands of lines of code changed) I will be able to roll out smaller updates much more quickly.

For those who are not aware of the history of PWCG,  I started coding this for RoF in 2009 and have been improving it since.  PWCG 6.0 will not be a drop and run any more than anything else that I have done - it will be continuously improved once the first version is out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

which ports does the host need to forward ? I know how to do it, just need to know which ports are needed

1 hour ago, Herne said:

which ports does the host need to forward ? I know how to do it, just need to know which ports are needed

There were listed in game menu - multiplayer and in startup.cfg.