Sign in to follow this  
Arthur-A

Sight picture: 109 vs the rest

I've finished my Stalingrad Career episode for VVS where I flew Lagg-3, Yak-1 and La-5 and before continuing into Kuban, I decided to take a break from career and started "Fortress on the Volga" campaign, which is just great. What immediately came to my mind is how good the sight picture in 109 is. So easy to aim and do deflection shots (that were hell in La-5), due to Revi being mounted pretty high up and to the right - just in front of the dominant eye (for most people). It is especially noticeable in VR, since GB's 3D models are of finest quality and pretty close to the real life ones. What do you guys think, which plane is the most comfortable for you to shoot from?

• Upvote 1

Me 262! 

I was doing high deflection mini burst snap shots last night and was very happy with the falling wreckage. There is just the right feel to the lead for me and I find I don’t need to use the sight in some cases while looking out the side window. The nose mounted guns probably help a lot. 

Visibility wise I have to say the P47 nails that department perfectly. For a close second I choose the MC202 after I jettison the canopy. As is customary of every flight of mine in the 202. For my preference in most comfortable to shot from. I would choose either the BF110G2 or the FW190A8. The A8 has insane firepower and more so with the optional dual mk108s that offer no disadvantage for equipping.

• Like 1

109 is probably the best for forward sight picture, its nose is steeply angled down due to the inverted V inline engine. Pulling lead and still being able to see your target is a really big plus. You cant do that in a P40. However the Machi 202 has the same setup as the 109 and has a better front visibility since the windscreen lacks those obnoxious bars. 

However I will pivot into my favorite airframe and say it has consistently had great visibility to the rear and sides with a narrow window to the front. The Fw190 has ample room to view what you are dealing with and the large superstructure to the front is not as bad in VR. 

• Upvote 1

La-5 has bar none the worst sight picture of the entire sim. The Yaks and the MiG are sorta ok, the reflector glass is just very small. 

The Bf 109 is great, but even better are the Bf 110 and Me 262. 

Me as in no VR/TrackIR the LaGG sighting is best, 109 and La5 pretty good, yak being easily the worst.

The Bf109 is good but the Bf110 is superb and so is the Me262. The Hs129 is also really good although I find it difficult to keep the gunsight in view as the cockpit is just so cramped.

Moving the engines out of the way really helps.

• Upvote 1

There is the P39 with the engine mounted behind you.  In 2D the view sucks but in VR the side frames and mirror don't get in the way.  You also have a great view out back when your ass is getting shot off.

P40 view isn't bad either.  Good sight although a bit high in the nose for pulling lead in turn fights but good view rearwards.  I do like my La 5 though, big assed radial in front, huge plate behind you can't see behind but I have so much fun over Stalingrad with her.

• Upvote 2

Surprised no one has mentioned the il2.  You can see everything in it, and even more with the gunsight slid back.  Nice high seat, like riding on a tractor lol.

I wish the hs129 had a view similar gunsight setup instead of the tiny one that just obscures the target most of the time.  Might not be a factor in trackIR/vr but I'd rather have a big round sight with a dot on the glass than that thing.

On 6/15/2019 at 6:59 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

The Hs129 is also really good although I find it difficult to keep the gunsight in view as the cockpit is just so cramped.

Moving the engines out of the way really helps.

Typically we can only move one engine out of the way at one time. It does help visibility from the side with such modification!

• Haha 1

in the words of Walter Krupinski (The German Aces Speak):

Like most German pilots, I liked the 109 more than any other fighter I flew during the war, probably due to the familiarity I had with it. I think that we make that collective statement due to the ease of flying, the comfortable fit of the cockpit, and the instrument layout. Everything was within easy reach, and we also had a good weapons system, and the Revi gunsight was a very nice piece of equipment. It was not a true computer gunsight, but it was reflective, with a yellow ball and a targeting sight with range estimation.

We often examined the crashed remains and looked at MiGs, Yaks, LaGs, and other aircraft. They often did not use any modern aiming or gunsight technology. It is true that many of the planes we found actually had hand-painted circles on the windscreen, which formed an estimated aiming point. But you must remember that the Americans and British were also sending their own aircraft to help the Soviets, such as the P-40, P-39, Spitfire, Hurricane, and medium bombers.

Now these western aircraft did have modern sights, and good ones. The Soviets often cannibalized these planes if they were damaged and mounted the sights on their own planes.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

P-38 was always nice for aiming, stable, no props, great view under nouse, guns all grouped in one place great for sniping , and sight high enought for perfect deflaction shooting at hard turns without nouse of airplane being opstruction.

Edited by 77.CountZero

the Tempest will be the best, no visible device only the sight projection on the armored front glass panel

• Like 1

I mean, the 190 should have a fantastic sight picture for gunnery but you know, Oleg bar.

On 6/20/2019 at 5:20 PM, E4GLEyE said:

the Tempest will be the best, no visible device only the sight projection on the armored front glass panel

it has terible visability under gnsight, you cant see contacts when doing even slight turns, not as bad as on la5 p40 or spits but not as good as youll have on p-51 where nouse is droping and sight is preaty high. Also wing mounted guns make it not as good as nouse mounted guns when your trying to shoot from diff distances.