Sign in to follow this  
Blitzen

Replacement onf Pimax 5K headstrap- has anyone actually done it?

I'm sold on the Pimax %K but the head strap that comes with it is its weakest part.I;ve seen on the Pimax forum suggestions for replacing it with another VR company's headstrapt ( with and without head phones) but I wonder if anyone here has actually done it & is satisfied with the results? If so can you furnish more info on what you got & how you did it? Thanks!

b98227422f77b92d73515c18be6bd5f2--retro-futurism-vintage-toys.jpg

• Haha 1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2GDXMC/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_JA.aDbZDTRMTT

and 3D print / order if you don't have access to a 3d printer this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3285729

or that

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3167993

Those are adapters so that the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap fits. I believe the second one will be better. They should come around 10$.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Is there a reasonably good replacement for the foam cushion? i have a third party replacement one I used on the Rift, but it will take a lot of velcro to make it usable on this slightly different shaped Pimax headset....

( BTW= thanks again for all your help AND I've just ordered the above with my fingers crossed!)

Edited by Blitzen

I've heard the VIVE face cushion would fit, but introduce some lightbleed from the nose area as it's not closed, like on the original Vive.

I'm happy with the foam cushion provided. If you use other cushions with largely different distances not made for the headset, you'll get a different distance to the lenses and may experience some distortion. Quite a few users have reported distortions, and when asked, they were usually using 3rd party cushions way too large or too far away from the lenses.

As long as you regard that, and keep the right distance from eye to lense, you'll be fine. So best is to buy from places you can return it to 🤩 👍

Good point...I’ll wait for the new head strap unit & try it with default cushion. I’m having problems with the cushion shifting as I pull the goggles over my face also if not perfectly adjusted my nose takes a beating from pressure points not covered by the cushion.

I am using the Vive pro Audio strap with the printed adapter and loving it. I found that the headset needed to be further from my face and tipped up to be in perfect focus ( so it needed tilted a bit upwards ). I purchased a roll of Velcro and glued the backside of the hook and loop strips together and then sandwiched them between the cushion and the headset where needed to get my focus. It doesn't slip around and is secured by the factory Velcro type mount that holds the standard cushion on the Pimax

Also the hinged mounts on the printed adapter allow you to put the headset on your face and then pull down the audio strap over your head, great for positioning over glasses or just not having to pull the headset over your head😀

12 minutes ago, BroGrimm1tkcamp said:

I am using the Vive pro Audio strap with the printed adapter and loving it. I found that the headset needed to be further from my face and tipped up to be in perfect focus ( so it needed tilted a bit upwards ). I purchased a roll of Velcro and glued the backside of the hook and loop strips together and then sandwiched them between the cushion and the headset where needed to get my focus. It doesn't slip around and is secured by the factory Velcro type mount that holds the standard cushion on the Pimax

Also the hinged mounts on the printed adapter allow you to put the headset on your face and then pull down the audio strap over your head, great for positioning over glasses or just not having to pull the headset over your head😀

I haven’t gotten either yet so I’m curious about you conversion.Can you post photos?

Nice job. Big help! You must have pieced together strips of the sandwiched velcro to a pattern  to get it to fit perfectly with the Pimax cushion?

I have the adapters ordered & have my fingers crossed that the provider will come through.I've never ordered from a firm that promised to produce the item and wen done will ship.I paid my money but never got confirmaton.The new headstrap did arrive & looks like it wil be much better.( there is a vid somewhere that demonstrates use of velcro to make it usable as well.

I think I've seen this for Vive cushion replacement on the American Amazon site,correct?

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2019 at 9:37 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

and 3D print / order if you don't have access to a 3d printer this:

or that

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3167993

Those are adapters so that the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap fits. I believe the second one will be better. They should come around 10$.

I received my DAS two days ago and I am now looking for 3D print that in my city.

Why do you think the second one will be better?  (I was looking more to the first, shown in the pictures above by BroGrimm).

Was the 10$ just a guess or did you order them as well?

In one 3D printing shop they asked me about the infill factor which is 90% for the pieces of the first post.

Can any one who printed that let me know about the infill factor and material used?

Edited by chiliwili69

I’ve had terrific conversations with Amazon /Pimax Support . I bought the 5K thru a “flash sale “ on Amazon.They are sending me 2 sizes of foam facial pad to replace the stock one which has lost much of its stick. Yesterday I received news that the Pimax new & improved headstrap is still two months away, so as posted elsewhere the Vive version is a good option. I tried to get the printed conversion pieces done by a third party but while waiting I tried the cheap & easy Velcro method of attachment & it worked like a charm.You might consider doing this .It takes about 5 minutes .

I have already got my 3D printed adapters for the DAS and installed them this afternoon.

The DAS provides clearly a superior fixing to my head and face. I am able easily now to regulate the push of the cushion over my face with the wheel.

I feel less lag now when I move the head quickly and the weight is well compensated. 

I think it is a must thing if you are going to use for long flying sessions.

Pimax is working on a Rigid Audio Strap, It is now at verification phase but I don´t know when they will release it.

I went with the first option, you will see that there is two options for the superior adapter (single piece with clip, or two pieces). I used the two pieces for now.

Here I attach some pictures for reference:DAS_1.thumb.jpg.9091bcd0ef0095afd80f859a1e654c73.jpg

DAS_2.thumb.jpg.8ddd69ef4c1b35c793057af9e968722d.jpg

DAS_3.thumb.jpg.cd80d1ab18ae6b90dbb8d8b05a114869.jpg

DAS_4.thumb.jpg.b879edeadea5902ce6740ea6fcabca87.jpg

DAS_5.thumb.jpg.34ff145c73289e0826ac0071346bbeb3.jpg

• Upvote 1