30MM

Playerbase and worthwhile

Hi,

Used to play on Hyperlobby under the tag of 30MM, game of choice was IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946, Enjoyed the game, with its massive selection of 400+ planes. most nights during the week there used to be around 800 to 1300 players online, in games or chatting in the rooms, weekends were just as busy. 

Logged on last week, hyperlobby still around, however 50 players online which to be fair for from early 2000 is still good. 

I was toying with the idea of getting back into IL2, however after checking steam charts I'm having trouble working out if its worth getting the game, as I am only interested in online gameplay

I would like to know, roughly how many people play online? as steam only shows steam purchased activity and its around 135 playing

Whats the cost of the games and what do I get? Reason for his, I've taken a look at some of the later il2 titles and it seems you only get a few planes 

for a whopping price tag.

from what understand. I need to Buy Battle of Stalingrad for $79.99 which gives me access to 10 planes and a single Map.

Does this mean I can only play servers that have Starlingrad maps?

Do servers mix maps and planes. Example Map Starlingrad  - Planes from battle of Moscow only

As i've seen this done before to push people to purchase more content. 

Thanks in advance,

ps

not trying to be awkard just want to make sure i get what I pay for. as I've been stung before

In multiplayer all maps are available, so you can play a server running a map on Kuban, but you can't play the singleplayer Kuban campaign.

Posted (edited)

as for how many people are usually online, that varies with the time you want to play. but under usual circumstances, there is at all times at least 1 server well attended (50+ players), often even more. on weekends, I'd say there are like 2 or 3 ~80 player servers very well attended. keep in mind that most (if not all) of those servers will mostl likely be running a certain form of "advanced" settings, meaning no 3D-icons ingame, no navi &c.

if you intend to play on steam, you _need_ to buy battle of stalingrad. I'd advise you to wait for a sale though, as BoS goes down to like -66 % at times. once you have BoS on steam, you can buy other games of the series by hearts desire (as they will be added to your BoS client). and yes, it gives you access to 10 planes in the deluxe version of BoS, otherwise only 8.

and, als RoflSeal said, you'll be able to only use the stalingrad map in singleplayer - but will be able to join and play any server running any map.

Edited by EpeeNoire

hi,

about your question. You can play on any map in multiplayer. But you can only fly the planes you have yourself. This means that the server operator/mission designer decides which planes are available. But you can participate as a gunner in two or more seated aircraft without owning the aircraft.  As far as the players pay, I think it all depends on that. There are already some well visited servers (Combat Box, KotA, TAW, WoL) where time zone is also important sometimes. Nevertheless, the game is certainly not "death" :)

You could wait for a sale and get cheap Stalingrad or other parts of the series.

Greetings Rico

You will only be able to fly what you have bought but there are plenty of sales (you just missed one but it shouldnt be too long before anther comes along)

If you think of each 'expansion' as a plane set you won't go far wrong. You don't need to buy Battle of Stalingrad first for instane. If you are only interested in the Bodenplatte aircraft then just buy the pre-release for that and play the aircraft as they are released. The Bodenplatte single player content is not ready yet though, so no campaign or map for it.

Multiplayer servers can use any map that the host owns in conjunction with any aircraft that they make available AND the player owns. For instance I could create and host a map where the Ju52 is available but could not fly a Ju52 on it because I do not own that aircraft, however someone else that does own it could fly on my map regardless of which version of the game the have as long as they own that one collector aircraft.

HI Gents,

Thanks for your replies,  So If i purchased IL2 Cliffs of Dover and IL2battle of Starlingrad, the map creator could have all the planes from both games, Axis vs allied ?

Regards

Not really, as Cliffs is an entirely different game. The base Stalingrad gives 4 allied and 4 axis and the deluxe gets an extra plane for each side.

@30MM30MM  

Hi, 

There are two ways of purchasing the game: through steam or through the il2 website.

If you buy it on steam I think YOU HAVE to buy the Stalingrad edition first before you can buy any of the other editions. 

If you buy on the il2 website you can buy any edition you want as the "base".

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, 30MM30MM said:

Thanks for your replies,  So If i purchased IL2 Cliffs of Dover and IL2battle of Starlingrad, the map creator could have all the planes from both games, Axis vs allied ?

Cliffs of Dover is compeletly seperate product. What you said is true for games which titles begin "Il-2 Battle of...", when you buy one expansion, you download all of them, but you don't get to access all the content. When you buy Stalingrad, you can fly only Stalingrad planes on all maps against all other planes(in MP).

Edited by Cacodemon96

The 2 games are different and not compatible or interchangable.

Cliffs of dover planes cannot be used on great battles.

Posted (edited)

https://steamcharts.com/app/307960

there you can see how popular it is, this is bascly close to numbers online you can see at that times spred on few servers

wait for sale of BoS and BoM they can be in next week or two, you can get standar version for 17$

for start i would recomend to get BoS standard with 8 airplanes as most of its airplanes your able to play on most online missions on popular servers and then if you dont like it you just lost ~17$

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

@30MM30MM and others

Please take note that steam charts will only show a certain percent of the total player base as the game can be purchased directly from the site without steam. Hence you can not really know the total player base but I would estimate that there are just as many if not a number of factors the amount of players that play the site version of the game as this came out in 2012 and was not on steam until 3 years later.

I guess what is interesting about the steam chart stats is that the trend is slowly going up. If you look at a lot of bigger AAA games, yes they get tens of thousands on their release day but it only declines after that to a level similar or much below what we have here now. 

With the above in mind that shows me that people that get this game keep playing it, defo get their moneys worth and slowly but surly more and more are joining. That demonstrates to me that this is more than worth the money.

Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 77.CountZero said:

https://steamcharts.com/app/307960

there you can see how popular it is, this is bascly close to numbers online you can see at that times spred on few servers

wait for sale of BoS and BoM they can be in next week or two, you can get standar version for 17$

for start i would recomend to get BoS standard with 8 airplanes as most of its airplanes your able to play on most online missions on popular servers and then if you dont like it you just lost ~17$

This in its entirety 30mm30mm,also Steam gives you 2 hrs incase you don't like the game. But 100% of your money goes to the Devs if you purchase from the official site. Which is always good for future development of Box series. Just worth noting I don't believe you can purchase BOM or BOK on steam WITHOUT owning BOS (steam). ..If you purchase from the official store you can purchase any of the series in any order.

2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

@30MM30MM and others

Please take note that steam charts will only show a certain percent of the total player base as the game can be purchased directly from the site without steam. Hence you can not really know the total player base but I would estimate that there are just as many if not a number of factors the amount of players that play the site version of the game as this came out in 2012 and was not on steam until 3 years later.

I guess what is interesting about the steam chart stats is that the trend is slowly going up. If you look at a lot of bigger AAA games, yes they get tens of thousands on their release day but it only declines after that to a level similar or much below what we have here now. 

With the above in mind that shows me that people that get this game keep playing it, defo get their moneys worth and slowly but surly more and more are joining. That demonstrates to me that this is more than worth the money.

from what i could see steam chart show s and tracks preaty good state of MP in game, now chart shows 290ppl and when i check online there is around 260ppl playing, and when i was looking before numbers were close as that, what steam chart show was close to how many ppl were online on servers.

5 hours ago, 30MM30MM said:

HI Gents,

Regards

Cliffs of Dover is a separate title (still maintained by Team Fusion). IL-2: Great Battles Series contains Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban, Bodenplatte (and Flying Circus Vol 1 and Tank Crew). IMHO the Steam Summer Sale is coming up soon if rumours are true and that means that there will be sales on most of the series.

Keep in mind that its "only" 10 aircraft per Premium release (or 8 in standard) but these are at a higher level of detail and often contain multiple versions. For example the FW190A-8 has a modification that turns it into a F-8 and a G-8. The La-5 Series 8 becomes an early La-5F with an engine mod. The old Spitfire IX used to get a ton of different modifications but now is all in one aircraft (with clipped and non clipped and two engine options). So it's not exactly a 1:1 relationship to the old 400 aircraft listing.

As the game expands on content and new features, the online playerbase will grow for the forseable future.

Now all the aircraft are worth their asking price imo, let alone considering that most of them are being constantly worked on and upgraded.

Posted (edited)

Worthwhile? As a former il2 flyer from the Hyperlobby days - Hell yes!

Initially I was not interested in the new version of Il2 BoX series but over the last couple of years they have really come into their own and Jason's Stewardship has been a very positive element for the 1C/777 team.  The single player Career is very good with much more meat and improvements incoming and online is getting better and better.

Maybe down the track invest in VR of which this sim supports very well and enjoy.  It is leaps and bounds over the old Il2 but that is just the march or progress.  Is it perfect - no but it gives very good single and multiplayer experiences with fidelity that is unprecedented.

They have sales you can grab stuff on but for me - full price and through the Il2 shop to support the Devs.  I did initially purchase Battle of Stalingrad via Steam but everything else has been direct and at full price.

Edited by blitze
More info.

Posted (edited)

I was in the same boat as you, OP.  I just upgraded to a decent PC, and after seeing 1946 basically deserted, I took the plunge. I have spent a shameful amount of time flying the past month. The learning cure was steep, in my case, as I used to fly on the servers that allowed icons and the 'virtual cockpit'. Took some 'adjusting' but now I'm starting to relearn the instincts and muscle memory. 

some Pros:

• Fantastic flight/damage model
  • Prettier graphics
  •  Fun objectives to attack/defend (even in empty servers online)
  •  Objective based multiplayer for the most part - Its more about working together and flying your role than necessarily being a top ace while your team has the                                     objectives destroyed

Cons:

• brutal learning curve if you are new or returning - you may be abused if you fire at a friendly by mistake while you learn the spotting aspect
  • Occasional bugs/glitches  i.e, sometimes your engine and guns sounds will glitch for an unknown reason and require a restart
  • Rather expensive costs of the plane packs. You will want these, as you will want access to more competitive aircraft depending on the map. On some maps, certain aircraft are unavailable and you will have limited options to choose from with only the basic set of planes.
  • Unfinished 'Battle of Bodenplatte' expansion, giving early access to some very high tier planes as they are completed. Currently we have the 262 running rampant on some servers, with very little in the way of a viable counter for the Allies. The Mustang and Tempest are coming at some point in the future and will go someway to help control this jet powered menace. From what I understand, balancing the multiplayer is not something the developers care about or are concerned with achieving. Depending on your view, this could be either a good thing or a bad thing.

I would say, go ahead and purchase it, if you haven't already. You're going to end up spending more money than you ever wanted to on sim gear, DLC and pc upgrades, and you're going to enjoy it. I could never go back to IL2:1946 having had my hands on this game

Edited by Tasmanaut

I’ll also add, I pretty much stopped playing most other games I did regularly to just play this. Best MP experience I’ve ever played, it’s super tense and exhilarating!

That depends what you are looking for. 

If you like dogfighting and stats. This is the game for you

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I see this topic has been modified. But anyway my answer was too short and not accurate. 

There are dogfightservers and mission objective servers that are populated all the time. These got a short fun factor witch I do not mind and visit on rear occasions. 

Then you got Tactical air war witch bring a lot more into it, keeping your virtual life is important and doing the objectives like wise. 

My sort of things really. And you got events attached to weekends mostly bringing a lot of fun. 

There are other servers that is not much populated but got nice missions 

Did not mean to sound negative on previous post. 

But stats and dogfighting is a main thing on casual servers and to be clear I do mean that in a bad way. I wish people relax a bit more

I purchased BATTLE OF BODENPLATTE, So i'll be on this Saturday to give it a bash online. Any servers or anyone else tried this out yet?

45 minutes ago, 30MM30MM said:

I purchased BATTLE OF BODENPLATTE, So i'll be on this Saturday to give it a bash online. Any servers or anyone else tried this out yet?

Combat Box usually has a fair number of people in it and a late war planeset that includes the Bodenplatte aircraft.