Sign in to follow this  
Victory205

Let's Talk Settings...

Why not have a place to discuss t all menu items under "settings"? They can be confusing, especially if the pilot doesn't have prior experience with RoF.

My first issue is how to quickly "look up", as in out of the top of the canopy where the lift vector tends to reside in a turning fight. Yes, yes, I've got Trackir, but my camera went Tango Uniform a couple days ago and I am awaiting arrival of a new one.

When I first set up the sim, I bound a key under "pilot head control" to Head: snap forward. I also assigned the same key to Camera: player cockpit so no matter what view I am in, hitting this key zaps you into cockpit view, looking forward. Essential to have this somewhere in your repertoire, it will save your arse at some point.  The way it was working before, and I didn't try to do this, was that the first press of the key put me in the cockpit, looking through the gunsight, the second press would move the view to straight up, and the next press went back to the forward view through the gunsight. 

After trying multiplayer, with padlock disabled, this behavior changed so that the second press does nothing. I tried mapping a key to Head: snap modifier up, and that seemed to work at first, however, after joining a multiplayer server, this key changed to a zoomed view straight ahead to the gun site. Looking up quickly along the lift vector in a fight where padlock is disabled is critical.

My guess is that some sort of global realism setting is causing all of this. Perhaps we should try to define what each realism setting means. There have been questions on what restricts what in terms of realism settings. This should be listed in the interface itself, going forward.

Fooling with settings and key mapping is tedious and frustration. My hopes are to streamline this and make the sim more enjoyable. It's practicing bleeding at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well im kinda confused :) 

Im using TrackIR and have not found a "good" way to switch to gunsight view.

Actually i think i use "center pilot head" or similar, but i have to keep the button down and TrackIR do not work during that time.

Setting the button as "latched" in the Saitek profile editor, causes all sorts of problems probably because im spamming a key press.

Also never go to chat with a latched button on :D 

Is there an obvious command i have missed?

Yeah I find actually trying to get a good view using a headtracking system and being able to view down the gun sight comfortably almost impossible in this game and actually very badly implemented - then again I guess its because its in alpha still? I seriously hope so - because il-2 1946 had it perfectly.

I'm struggling trying to setup the trackir so I can snap to gunsight view or something to that effect.  I wonder if anyone has found a solution....

Regarding TiR could it be that it overrides some commands? I can't use the view shift commands when the TiR is running as example.

I have no problems however with the views using TiR and if you want a fix gun sight view using TiR use the "pause" TiR command when
you are in the right position. That is what I can think of right now.

Edited by 332_Goblin

The whole point of TIR is that you can look through the gun sight without having to press and buttons. Snap too's wont work with TIR active. 

I'm struggling trying to setup the trackir so I can snap to gunsight view or something to that effect.  I wonder if anyone has found a solution....

The whole point of TIR is that you can look through the gun sight without having to press and buttons. Snap too's wont work with TIR active. 

You just have to create a deadzone on the pitch & yaw axis in your TIR. On each axis put the curve to zero for 4-6 degrees (or however far you want) then add in your preferred slope. This'll give you a 'snap' response when you are looking 'center' giving the illusion of a snap gunsight.

Hope this helps resolve your TIR issues. :)

=SIM=skunkling is telling the truth.

Properly set up TIR curves with dead zone in front is must have. After that you can zoom in and shoot if you like.

Edited by tomcatqw
  • Upvote 1

sorry for digging this up, but my looking around (either with mouse or track ir) has a kind of deadzone ALL THE WAY AROUND the horizontal 0° axis! It is sticky to the horizontal even if I am looking straight to the right, for example.

It takes some serious headmovement to get it up from the middle, horizontal line and then it gets really responsive. I would like it to be that responsive (maybe a tad less around gun sight due to trackIR deadzone in trackIR software) everytime.

Does anyone know, how this can be disabled? As I said, this happens no matter if trackIR or simply looking with the mouse (TIR disabled/turned off). You can imagine it as a sticky ring around you... left right is fine, just the vertikal is somewhat slowed down heavily for the first few degrees.

Thanks for reading

Is your TrackIR assigned to the preset "Default" or "Smooth"? If I recall "Default" preset in the TrackIR software has a certain dead zone stickiness to it I did not like when I first got one. I switched it to "Smooth" and have always used that with RoF and now BoS. It sounds like there is a dead zone assigned to your horizontal movement.

I turned off HDD and that other stuff and got my TrackIr to behave, but now flying on Wings of Liberty server ctd when strafing targets. Anyone get a idea

I got i7 2,8 16 gb ram and nvidia gtx 680

I turned off HDD and that other stuff and got my TrackIr to behave, but now flying on Wings of Liberty server ctd when strafing targets. Anyone get a idea

I got i7 2,8 16 gb ram and nvidia gtx 680

I just had a CTD on WoL today too, and haven't crashed like that in a long time.

Is your TrackIR assigned to the preset "Default" or "Smooth"? If I recall "Default" preset in the TrackIR software has a certain dead zone stickiness to it I did not like when I first got one. I switched it to "Smooth" and have always used that with RoF and now BoS. It sounds like there is a dead zone assigned to your horizontal movement.

I did not found such a option, but nevertheless thank you. I have reduced movement/inertia and stuff to 0 and the deadzone around my horizontal 0° is as good as gone. It is there if you look for it, but this will do!

I use no curve and .7 speed. All I do is bump the relative scale up and down with the arrows as needed.

For the gunsight, I just lean forward. Feels really nice to me, easily controlled but you can still lean out of the canopy with a pretty natural range of motion when you're on the ground or your canopy is smoked.

Wondering how much distance from camera to sensor changes our experiences. Mine is probably closer than most.

I found TrackIR needed adjustment with other sims but for BoS and RoF, right out of the box it worked just right. I only changed the preset to "Smooth"

My problem is apparently when ground effect kicking in. I dropped a 1000 kg bomb from a Stuka close to ground and when it hit I was ctd from quick missions.

Is there a way to counter this when my hdd and ss what ever is switched off, and settings on normal.

This sim do not rock my boat that much so a upgrade is out of the question