Plank

Ahem... Gloster Meteor ???

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

About the same time the operational testing of 1.98ata K-4s was finished.

The 'what if' is already happening.

What are you talking about? Last chapter of bodenplatte is Chapter 5: Battle of the Rhine (February 8 – March 28, 1945). How is that "what if"? If 1,98ata versions came in January/February then it perfectly fits campaign in the expansion. It will simply be avaliable to use as modification in the last chapter of the campaign.

Edited by InProgress

1.98ata was operationally tested from very late Dec '44 to mid Jan '45. 1.98ata was officially cleared around March 23 1945. So 1 week of possible use. At that date C3 and methanol were in short supply or non existent. 

Lets see a map of this Chap. 5 and where the 4 Gruppen cleared for 1.98ata were based.

4 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

Lets see a map of this Chap. 5 and where the 4 Gruppen cleared for 1.98ata were based.

The last phase will be centered more or less around the Rhineland Offensive:

OpSumm-12.jpg

• Like 1

Hey I actually used the report button!  Wow lets see if it works. : - )

It's amazing that the balance argument comes up time and again.

One side gets some much better plane and when  the enemy rail at it  

the inevitable jock pipes up that you are some kind of less that heroic person

that needs to grow more heroic.

Then said jock gets into the new plane HEROICALLY and remarks at how crap the enemy is today.

GET REKT NOOB !!!!  vvvrmmm.... pew pew pew .

If servers let you use what ever plane you like with what ever load you liked then guess which plane will be in high use?

The interesting thing is the regulating factors in the BoX are varied.

Mission makers, maybe your sweet ride is not in it? and/or do you have it anyway?  Map and $$$.

Personally I don't fly German.

I have a beef with them and frankly I am super stoked if I manage to wing a few before I virtually snuff it. 

any way...

Generally the side that gets the next generation of plane use the "don't be so wet and sit still while I kill you ok " argument.

In RoF you found the same heros in the same planes lording it over the inferior older/crapper types.

They never swapped sides to even up the teams. and they usually killed the pilot even when it was not necessary.

The amount of times I have waded into a furball wearing a DH2 ( up against the best German planes ) gives me this

sense of satisfaction and conviction that top tier pilots are actually cowards who can't deal with losing their advantage.

Still would like a jet though. Or a Mozzy.

Plonking along in the I-16 on Berloga is all well and good. it's fun. but you are very disadvantaged.

The enemy can zoom right at you and in that short time they can ID you then decide to kill you or not

and still zoom off. Much like a jet can. which is it's primary and quite serious advantage. 

How about an experiment?

Make a furball server with 262's with unlocked fuel and see what happens.

but I am pretty sure we all know what is going to happen.

I could be wrong! Have been before. ha ha.

Salute! '

Planky.

• Confused 3

18 hours ago, Plank said:

Hey I actually used the report button!  Wow lets see if it works. : - )

It did not because you got offended for no reason.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Lost in all this talk is that, as of today, there are still 2 Gloster Meteors in active usage as ejection seat testbeds with Martin-Baker: G-JSMA and G-JWMA - the former built in 1952 and the latter in 1949. :blink:

37509100322_88cbf94681_b.jpg

G-JWMA / WA638 Gloster Meteor T7 (mod) cn G5/356539 Martin-Baker RAF Fairford 14Jul18

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:11 PM, InProgress said:

What are you talking about? Last chapter of bodenplatte is Chapter 5: Battle of the Rhine (February 8 – March 28, 1945). How is that "what if"? If 1,98ata versions came in January/February then it perfectly fits campaign in the expansion. It will simply be avaliable to use as modification in the last chapter of the campaign.

It came in early December - late January, then its use was suspended for further field testing by II/JG 11 (stationed near Berlin at the time), then used by four JG 27 and JG 53 wings in Bavaria / N Germany.

If the last phase is centered around the fight around Wesel, I/JG 27III/JG 27 with 1,98 ata G10/K4s was stationed around Münster cc 100-150 km to the East (moved through Rheine, Horn, Gütelsloh, Goslar, Halberstadt air bases). It is about a 10-15 minutes flight.

Four Meteors were deployed in the BP area, all painted white IIRC for identification. They did some combat patrols and strafing IIRC but no Air to Air combat. Would fit into the map though with a bit a stretch and would be a nice addition. P80 were only deployed in Italy very late in the war and were mostly grounded due to teething issues.

Edited by VO101Kurfurst
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VO101Kurfurst said:

P80 were only deployed in Italy very late in the war and were mostly grounded due to teething issues.

YP-80's... not P-80...2 of them, for the show....

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

In spite of the loss of the third YP-80A, four YP-80As were deployed to Europe in order to demonstrate their capabilities to combat crews and to help in the development of tactics to be used against Luftwaffe jet fighters. YP-80As 44-83026 and 44-83027 were shipped to England in mid-December 1944, but 44-83026 crashed on its second flight at Burtonwood, England, killing its pilot, Major Frederick Borsodi. 44-83027 was modified by Rolls-Royce to flight test the B-41, the prototype of the Nene turbojet. On November 14, 1945, it was destroyed in a crash landing after an engine failure. 44-83028 and 44-83029 were shipped to the Mediterranean. They actually flew some operational sorties, but they never encountered any enemy aircraft. Both of them fortunately managed to survive their tour of duty in Europe, but one of them crashed on August 2, 1945 after returning to the USA.

Serial numbers:

44-83023	Lockheed YP-80A Shooting Star
			c/n 080-1002
44-83024	Lockheed XF-14 Shooting Star
			c/n 080-1003
			Originally YP-80A No 2, redesignated during
			production.  Destroyed in mid-air collision
			with B-25J 44-29120 near Muroc AB Dec 6, 1944.
			All crew on both planes killed.
44-83025/83035	Lockheed YP-80A Shooting Star
			c/n 080-1004/1014
			83025 crashed Oct 20, 1944 Burbank, CA, killing Milo
				Burcham.
			83026 crashed Burtonwood, England, killing pilot
				Maj. Frederick Borsodi
			83027 fitted with Rolls-Royce Nene. Damaged beyond
				repair in accident Nov 14, 1945.

I./JG 27

Stormede 19.3.45  > 30.3.45 (~130km E of Wesel)

Helmstedt 30.3.45 > 8.4.45 (~300km ENE of Wesel)

III./JG27

Gutersloh 18.3.45 > 29.3.45 (a few km N of Stormede)

Goslar 29.3.45 > 8.4.45 (~260km E of Wesel)

III., IV./JG53 too far away

A map with many of the Luftwaffe bases can be found here, http://don-caldwell.we.bs/jg26/gradnetz.htm

Edited by MiloMorai

Posted (edited)

milo, that's what i wrote: 4 pre production prototypes send for the show, 2 to Eto and2 for the Mto.
No combat history, not even an encounter.
The link provided in Wikipedia about the yp-80 in the Mto gives a nice view.
The 2 planes weren't even under the air-force command. They were maintained by non military personnel, did what they wanted without referring to the command.
They were there just for the show: "Look, we also have a jet plane".
And please stop to always refer and compare everything to the K4-1.98ata, since 2005 it's not funny anymore ....start comparing with the A-9 with the TS egg instead.....:biggrin:

Edited by JV69badatflyski
Bad Frenglish
  • Upvote 1

Did you show the serial numbers badski?

But the A-9 is not a fantasy a/c.🤩

hi milo, 
i corrected my sentence in the previous post as it was ambiguous.
So 2(83026/83027) went to england: one directly burned it's tail and killed the pilot. the other went to RollRoyce for Nene Testing : Action: Zero
2other (83028/029) went to Italy: And they executed Recco Flights above ALLIED lines...that's some really combat achievement :biggrin:
....just the same kind as the meteor MKIII....:P...
yeah i'm bad, i know , i know...:blush:.
But i'm absolutely not against the meteor in the game , i'm really for it. 
They make it,  the devs sell it for the triple of the price (because few ill buy it so you have to get your investment back in a way or another) and then we'll have a post's torrent of angry red flyers crying that's their SuperJet is just a pile of C**p unable to follow an overloaded He-111 in a roll...that will be funny :drinks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 2019/6/13 at PM11点53分, Herne said:

and the brits did famously sell the rolls royce engine to russia, a variation of which was equipped in mig 15's lol

Cos Brits thought Soviet was unable to reverse-engineering such complex technology. Unfortunately, they wrong.

Edited by 8./JG5_seaflanker819

On 7/1/2019 at 2:46 PM, JV69badatflyski said:

....just the same kind as the meteor MKIII....

I agree with all you said about the YP-80, but this. As the Meteor III was operational as were the Meteor I's that preceded them and not a prototype like the Lockheed.

Indeed even rockets and bombs on a Tempest 5 have less operational authenticity than any Meteor III's :) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pict said:

I agree with all you said about the YP-80, but this. As the Meteor III was operational as were the Meteor I's that preceded them and not a prototype like the Lockheed.

Indeed even rockets and bombs on a Tempest 5 have less operational authenticity than any Meteor III's :) 

Pict, Agree with you, but it just make me laugh that some people could even consider the Meteor mk3 as a contender for the Schwalbe.(in game or IRL)
"The blue guys have a jet we also need one, it's unfair"...fracking spoiled kids!
Just like i wrote before: make it , the cries will follow :biggrin:... and i will drink my beer reading the river of post about how wrong it is modeled, how unfair it is, bla-bla-bla, etc...:drinks:

If the RAE considered this plane Non fit for Combat in it's 1946 version, what was it then in begin 45?
Well, Just a Show: "Look, we also have jets....but we won't tell you it can't even stand a chance against a stuka because it can't roll more than 35°/sec at it's best "agility" speed...now, go make some appearance above a big concentration of our troops, but don't come close to the front lines,ok? otherwise you could make contact with stuka, those are very dangerous planes you know and if you encounter a wurger you won't even come back. Ready pilots? go make hear your screaming noise and make some show! "

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JV69badatflyski said:

Agree with you, but it just make me laugh that some people could even consider the Meteor mk3 as a contender for the Schwalbe.(in game or IRL)

For sure, it was simply a contemporary of the 262 rather than a contender, and even if the two had met up, it would have been well out of it's depth. I think Galland was best placed to judge, having also been involved in the development of a Meteor squadron in South America after WW2. Can't remember exactly what he said but he reckoned the 262 was more advanced.

"The blue guys have a jet we also need one, it's unfair"...fracking spoiled kids!
Just like i wrote before: make it , the cries will follow :biggrin:... and i will drink my beer reading the river of post about how wrong it is modeled, how unfair it is, bla-bla-bla, etc...:drinks:

Yep, that about nails the situation, better looking on the funny side of it, even although the balance brigade are a sad lot. It always struck me that real balance can only be achieved if you get an equal number facing off in identical aircraft with identical fuel and load-out and identical bases and so on...really boring (I think) when you can have such diversity as we have in IL2 BOX

That said it would be funny to have it and watch the shock wave as people discover it's not anywhere near as good as they had imagined or their home spun propaganda had always led them to believe, like the P-40, P-39, P-47 and I would bet my shirt, the P-51 :ph34r:

Pict, Agree with you, but it just make me laugh that some people could even consider the Meteor mk3 as a contender for the Schwalbe.(in game or IRL)

If the RAE considered this plane Non fit for Combat in it's 1946 version, what was it then in begin 45?
Well, Just a Show: "Look, we also have jets....but we won't tell you it can't even stand a chance against a stuka because it can't roll more than 35°/sec at it's best "agility" speed...now, go make some appearance above a big concentration of our troops, but don't come close to the front lines,ok? otherwise you could make contact with stuka, those are very dangerous planes you know and if you encounter a wurger you won't even come back. Ready pilots? go make hear your screaming noise and make some show! "

This is there only option if they wont to add allied jet airplane, Meteor III, as they have map where they flew and do combat missions. If they wont to add more jets why add only axis when you have option to add oposite side jet and make historical missions for it in SP, and give option to be used in MP for jet vs jet. 

Oh look every dlc has 5 airplanes on one side and 5 on other side, oh look there is same number of fighters , bombers attackers per side... so why not have one jet per side also when every dlc is balancing what each side gets, if its that crapy as you say then its no problem, ppl will use it for GA strikes like it was used.

It would be boring if axis side get one more jet as collectable, when allied side has oportunity to get one.

The meteor is significantly slower than the 262. All it will do is anger people.

Four YP-80A's to Europe: Operation Extraversion.

One of the two sent two Italy ended its days in the US as a pilotless drone.