Plank

Ahem... Gloster Meteor ???

Posted (edited)

Doesnt fit into bodenplatte...then again...collector planes. And the fact we cant mimic the RL in current maps, planeset (big bombers) and game engine/netcode.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

Just like to know if they would bring in the Meteor would you buy BOBP? 

Well that is, actually, a good question.

It fits for a handfull of strafing runs on ground targets on the main continent but not sure if in the BoBP map area. Some V2 tipping as well. No air kills for sure though. 

38 minutes ago, Plank said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor

It's a jet. We don't don't have a jet. They have a jet.

Just a thought.

Salute !

Plank.

"We" "They" ... sigh

A meteor would be pretty cool imo, alongside the P-80. Could make for some late 45 planesets that (thankfully) never happened. 

• Upvote 3

It's not sexy.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Wasn't present during the operation, however later on perhaps as a collector plane it would be fun.

Posted (edited)

hmm

Judging the Meteor F.3s were ready for combat over Europe, the RAF finally decided to deploy them on the continent. On 20 January 1945, four Meteors from 616 Squadron were moved to Melsbroek in Belgium and attached to the Second Tactical Air Force, just under three weeks after the Luftwaffe's surprise Unternehmen Bodenplatte attack on New Year's Day, in which Melsbroek's RAF base, designated as Allied Advanced Landing Ground "B.58", had been struck by the piston-engined fighters of JG 27 and JG 54. The 616 Squadron Meteor F.3s' initial purpose was to provide air defence for the airfield, but their pilots hoped that their presence might provoke the Luftwaffe into sending Me 262s against them. At this point the Meteor pilots were still forbidden to fly over German-occupied territory, or to go east of Eindhoven, to prevent a downed aircraft being captured by the Germans or the Soviets.

Allies were so affraid nazis will capture the Meteor. But it was there. During Bodenplatte. To defend the airfield.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

1 minute ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

At this point the Meteor pilots were still forbidden to fly over German-occupied territory, or to go east of Eindhoven, to prevent a downed aircraft being captured by the Germans or the Soviets.[112]

I'm a bit surprised by this, at this stage I thought we were still a big happy family of allies, were we really worried about the russians getting their hands on this new tech at this stage of the war ?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Herne said:

I'm a bit surprised by this, at this stage I thought we were still a big happy family of allies, were we really worried about the russians getting their hands on this new tech at this stage of the war ?

Not everything we learned in the school was true. 

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

To then sell them a nene engine in the end anyway 

1 minute ago, Tyberan said:

To then sell them a nene engine in the end anyway 

Yeah, lol.

That is why an intelligent person would say today "My friend is a good man, no matter where he comes from".

If they wont to add one more jet to game as collectable then this one should be good first option, P-80 was not used on map areas we have, and Meteor atleast flew combat missions in map area and timeline for BoBp campaign they are doing. And you then have atleast one jet per side. But only after Sptfire Mk.XIV is available as collectable 😄

27 minutes ago, JV69badatflyski said:

:popcorm:

ooh yeah please, a so called fighter with a Lancaster's Roll rate, that would be funny for the lufties :drinks:

Read the whole report, it's worth the 30min of your time :http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/meteor/Meteor-CFE.pdf

im sure it would get lagg3 treatment and be great at roll, that report is fake news for sure , we just need to get it added in game as sone as posible and have jet v jet berloga dfs 😄

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

MP was a death trap, got slaughtered by jets. Not even remotely interesting. Considering transferring back to WW1. ( no  not FC )

Meteor meteor meteor. ( if you squint you can see an "A-10 thunderbolt" around the cockpit ... is that sexy? I have no idea. I think Nieuport N11's are sexy...)

Salute!

Plank.

Edited by Plank
  • Confused 2

I don't see what's the point of this plane. It never fought anything in the air. All it did was destroyed FEW parked planes and that's all. For me it's a waste of resources and the only point of this plane would be multiplayer. Because i doubt devs will make some made up missions where meteor intercepts me262 since it never happend.

And i am sure more people would be happier with for example Mosquito that would make more sense.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Psyrion said:

"We" "They" ... sigh

My. sentiments. exactly.

Anyway, never heard of the Meteor and it certainly hasn't been discussed several times on this forum.

1 hour ago, InProgress said:

don't see what's the point of this plane. It never fought anything in the air. All it did was destroyed FEW parked planes and that's all. For me it's a waste of resources and the only point of this plane would be multiplayer. Because i doubt devs will make some made up missions where meteor intercepts me262 since it never happend.

And i am sure more people would be happier with for example Mosquito that would make more sense. 

I mostly agree with you, but the Mosquito wouldn't make more sense. The few Mosquitoes based within the BoBP map's boundaries during the BoBP timeframe were part of small night fighter detachments and reconnaissance aircraft, not the FB Mk.VI most people are thinking about.

Edited by =27=Davesteu

1 minute ago, =27=Davesteu said:

I mostly agree with you, but the Mosquito wouldn't make more sense. The few Mosquitoes based within the BoBP map's boundaries during the BoBP timeframe were part of small nightfighter detachments and reconnaissance aircraft, not the FB Mk.VI most people are thinking about.

I meant overall war on the west. Not really BoBP. If we talk about BOBP then next plane would probably be B25 flyable. There is too much planes that would be great to see and actually should be in game to add some weird creations like meteor.

5 hours ago, Herne said:

[...]

a big happy family of allies

[...]

awww so cute...

Please tell me you dont really think they were actually real allies...

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

awww so cute...

Please tell me you dont really think they were actually real allies...

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" and all that ;)

and the brits did famously sell the rolls royce engine to russia, a variation of which was equipped in mig 15's lol

Edited by Herne

1 minute ago, Herne said:

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" and all that ;)

This. And to state the blindingly obvious, not everyone amongst the populations of the western allies shared the same opinion of the Soviet Union. 

Posted (edited)

Isn't the p80 and the meteor significantly slower than the 262? 

Edited by bucket_109
Correct

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, bucket_109 said:

Isn't the p80 and the meteor significantly slower than the 262? 

It's something that makes less sense than meteor itself. Will never understand why people want planes like this. They did not take part in ww2 and if they did it was really reaaaally SMALL! It just does not fit realism of box. And i really think it's pointless to discuss it, devs wont add it (99,99%), it's not War Thunder. They add planes that make sense at least in a slight, meteor on p80 is just completly random thing. It just makes no sense to be in box.

Edited by InProgress
  • Like 2

Meteor could be used for some ground attack work. Used sparsly in that sense.

Gloster B 91 Kluis Holland.png

Posted (edited)

We: the Allies, Them: the Axis.

Realism: we won the war.

Of course no one trusted anyone else, do you not read history?

The entire area was a protracted blood bath for centuries.

and it's still on the simmer as we speak! ( oh sorry that might be too real...)

S! P.

PS.

In fairness to balance, either they have seriously reduced access to "the jet" OR we get something that can counter it.

OR we start carpet bombing the civilians that work in the factories that make the jets... or is that too real for you? Total war and all that thing....

Edited by Plank
  • Confused 2

On 6/13/2019 at 10:21 AM, Plank said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor

It's a jet. We don't don't have a jet. They have a jet.

Just a thought.

Salute !

Plank.

Would fit perfectly in the game and was actually used by RAF on the continent in the timeframe the game presents. See my older post below:

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

You don't need jet for down Me 262's,  just Mustangs. ;)

Tempests. 😜

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Tempests. 😜

And Spitfire XIVs , tho it was Spitfire IXs from a RCAF squadron that shot down the 1st Me262.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2019 at 12:02 AM, Sokol1 said:

You don't need jet for down Me 262's,  just Mustangs. ;)

Well, Il2 isnt a real life. Thats the problem. Me262 pilot in IL2 flies a factory fresh, problem free plane with engine mod. And has much more experience and its highly unlikely he will be caught on takeoff or landing due to game limitations, maps, missons etc. Only once I caught Me262 when the pilot was turning and even then Dora came in help and I didnt have a time eeven to open fire as 262 extended rapidly. Theres no way an experienced virtual pilot will ever be defeated in me262 in online battle (taking into account a "serious" server not a fast food type).

You will not be able to catch experienced guy in Me262 in this sim in any plane, be it P51, Tempest or P47 (as we see).

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2019 at 5:47 AM, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

But it was there. During Bodenplatte. To defend the airfield.

Well, four Meteors were there. And the article says it was three weeks AFTER the Bodenplatte attack. This just does not warrant it being in the game. Just four copies of the airplane were sent to the continent and we should have it here? We're getting too close to the "What if" crap of IL2 1946, which I would rather not see happen. 

On 6/13/2019 at 5:52 AM, Herne said:

I'm a bit surprised by this, at this stage I thought we were still a big happy family of allies

Ya need to read up on some history, there, my friend. It was a shaky alliance, at best. The U.S. was sending tons of equipment to the Soviets, but it wasn't because we liked them. Keeping the Russians in the war prevented hundreds of thousands or so German troops from heading west. And while FDR tolerated Stalin, Churchill positively hated him. Everyone was sure that the next war would be with the Soviet Union. The Russians knew it, too. Hence the need to capture and occupy so much of Europe, to build up a buffer zone between them and the western Allies. Hell, the Soviets started shit almost immediately after the war was over with the Berlin blockade!

On 6/13/2019 at 11:39 PM, Plank said:

In fairness to balance, either they have seriously reduced access to "the jet" OR we get something that can counter it.

I came across this video when looking at some fw190 A8 reviews for DCS, and i could not say it better :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2019 at 7:36 PM, InProgress said:

I came across this video when looking at some fw190 A8 reviews for DCS, and i could not say it better :rofl:

A Great Contender for the Best Comment of the year Award:

...but this is a simulation and when has a simulation ever been about balance?
 Whatever happened to only working to your advantages and developing tactics to beat the technologically superior foe?
Air quackers found it's a guilty little pleasure that i sometimes indulge in.
However there is a certain subset of the air quake fans who are just obsessed with balance and this makes me wonder if somewhere
way back in France in 1944 there was a german squadron equipped with Anton's and if in that squadron were two pilots who's seeing that other squadrons were
equipped with Dora's were so angry at the injustice they refused to fly.
Then i imagine the conversation going as follows
-"Hans, Johann there's an alarm, get in your aircraft"
-"No Herr Oberst Leutenant, we can't fight the spitfire in those and until we get the Dora we'll sit right here by the fire, carefully waxing [edited]"

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

On 6/24/2019 at 9:56 AM, Poochnboo said:

Well, four Meteors were there. And the article says it was three weeks AFTER the Bodenplatte attack. This just does not warrant it being in the game. Just four copies of the airplane were sent to the continent and we should have it here? We're getting too close to the "What if" crap of IL2 1946, which I would rather not see happen. 

About the same time the operational testing of 1.98ata K-4s was finished.

The 'what if' is already happening.

Meteor?  Something handy for the KPAAF to beat on when we get to Korea.:salute: