Sign in to follow this  
IckyATLAS

Wind and Waves

When we set the atmospheric conditions say a rough sea and wind, in the real life the waves move in the same direction of the wind. It is the wind that generates the waves (in general).

Smoke from fires and smoke from ships do move in the same direction of the wind, but not the sea waves. We get the situation were wind and waves are completely opposite.

It would be nice to have the sea waves do as the smoke does and follow the direction of the wind. 

Maybe make this a bug report for the Devs, they may be able to take it up

Waves do not match the wind...it's not a bug, it's just a limitation right now.

It is a bit of a generalisation anyway. A long ocean swell can certainly run in a direction other than directly downwind, and waves along a shallow-sloped coastline usually get turned inland. And frankly I don't think it matters much anyway, given how rarely you are going to be able to see it.

As I said in another thread, failure to model the entire universe isn't a bug.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:09 AM, AndyJWest said:

It is a bit of a generalisation anyway. A long ocean swell can certainly run in a direction other than directly downwind, and waves along a shallow-sloped coastline usually get turned inland. And frankly I don't think it matters much anyway, given how rarely you are going to be able to see it.

As I said in another thread, failure to model the entire universe isn't a bug.

I agree regarding the long ocean swell, that you can have even with no wind at all. Here the long ocean swells are not really modeled.

So it becomes a matter of point of view or say camera perspective. I use cameras and in the Kuban theater we have the sea. So I use ships and ship convoy, beach landings etc. To better profit from these events you can use the cameras and there you have a vision which is not the one you would have from the plane cockpit. Cameras allow you to be near the action and then you see it all extremely well. In my case it is indeed a little strange because I have a sea convoy with the maximum rough seas due to the wind. The behavior of the cargo ships in these rough seas is very well rendered and it is there that you sea the waves with white tops (due to wind) slamming the ship in opposite direction of the chimney smoke. 

But yes these are small details that cameras do magnify. I know Jason wants to have the best possible game out there so ...........

If we think of the future for a Pacific theater were water is almost the universe, then all these details may have to be considered for the best possible experience.