Hello

I want to share with all of you my struggle over the past 2.5 years, now that the diameter of the circle of light at the end of the tunnel widens as each day passes.

2.5 years ago I was a virtual fighter pilot, my weapon of choice being the Bf109-F4. When I roamed the skies of IL2 I was in my happy place, a safe place, and every day I made time to hone my skills and progress in my hobby; a hobby by the way that I had no shame in taking perhaps a little bit too seriously. Even when I was not flying and sneaking up behind Yaks at 650km/h, I took daily comfort in daydreaming and reliving my greatest kills in my mind whilst sitting in my work cubicle, ostensibly taking part in sales meetings, or listening to my wife.

2.5 years ago my computer died and I lost a part of me and my sense of self. Circumstances at the time lead me to delay the purchase of a new rig which I figured would only be a matter of months; I could handle that, I could be patient. However, moving forward a few months, my wife and I decided to build our first home and for the 18 month construction waiting time we decided to be financially savvy and move in with my parents who live about 45 minutes drive from the city.

Once we settled in I knew it was only a matter of time until I was restored to my former fit, fighting and flying self: it was time to buy a new PC and not just any PC, but one that could run IL2 BOS in all its glory.

I picked up my new rig and brought it home to set up after which I had to download and reinstall Il2 BoS- there had been a number of significant updates since I had last played and I was particularly looking forward to trying out the spitfire and flying circus.

I opened the launcher and began downloading the game and then I was informed of this:

Download speed 16k/s

Download time 6 days (if at all)

It turned out that my parents happen to live in an area of Brisbane (Cleveland) that the NBN has not being introduced into yet and their house was far away from the ADSL exchange towers. I did a google search of our area and found that many people shared the same problem- the internet in the suburb completely sucks.

I did eventually finish the download however flying online was impossible and future large updates were unattainable. I decided to grit my teeth and wait it out and that is what I have done, I have waited out the past 18 months without a single touch of the joystick. I have sustained myself only by occasional glimpses of new aircraft on YouTube and weekly readings on the forums of all the awesome updates I have been missing out on.

This has been my struggle.

In 2 weeks, I move into my new home, it has fast broadband internet.

The Me262 has just been released.

My struggle is about to come to an end.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

May them 2 weeks pass quickly and you can get yourself back in the hot seat and enjoy the ride again just like old times. :dance:

Having been in a similar circumstance this past year myself I can totally relate. I hope you can soon rejoin the skies that give you adventure. 

My sympathies... that sounds like a hard time indeed. 

Shed a tear, touching story 😭 Wish you fun in two weeks, you should already start dosing the hype  ; )

Hmmmmm ?  The title to this thread somehow seems familiar, now what could it be I wonder ?

All hail A.H, without him we’d all be flying FC 😁.

Had a similar issue. My Alienware PC crapped out just after the One year warranty expired due to overheating from a faulty cooling system that claimed many other's computers. 

Alienware (Dell) refused to acknowledge this defect. 

Thought I would be up and running again after awhile, but due to financial reasons I only had a slow lap top that could not run IL-2. 

It ended up being three years plus before I could get my current gaming PC. 

Now my flying time is very limited, but Oh the Joy of being able to take to the skies in VR!

Hang in there, the wait will be worth it!