Jarhead0331

To TrackIR or VR...that is the question...

I am 60+, use VR and a HOTAS, turn technocrat off and rely only on instruments and basically have no issue with workload.

Most of the planes do not require that many controls once you get used to them, whether FC fighters or most WW2 single seat fighters.

Certain planes, like twin engine bombers, because of the bombsight or planes like the HS129 where you rely more on the technocrat and have vital gauges on the engine nacelles are much more problematic in VR.

Edited by Sgt_Joch
  • Upvote 1

Wait are people actually looking at their hotas setups when 2d flying? Isn't the whole point of a hotas to know where everything is and be easily accessible? Il2 doesn't really command a whole lot from the user. If you fly axis you literally just need to know where your throttle and stick are. This is the first time I am hearing people concerned about button engagement.

Can't say I look at my setup ever, maybe if you play once a year it's an issue. If you play at least once a week you should know where your inputs are. Using a keyboard is a different story. Was still able to type proficiently, I don't look at the keyboard when I type either. Just getting on the correct area of the keyboard can be a challenge. I guess if you're a grandpa that stabs keys with their index fingers while hovering over it then yeah it might be an issue. Think the immersion is well worth it.

The people complaining about picture quality have obviously not used anything beyond a rift/vive. That's apparent from the comments in this thread.

• Upvote 2

On 6/21/2019 at 1:28 AM, dburne said:

Yeah I game in VR on practically a daily basis (one benefit of being retired).

You are a lucky man!, ;)

On 6/21/2019 at 2:17 AM, WheelwrightPL said:

Accordingly I would assume that VR should remain an exclusive domain of 15-25 year old's who were practically raised by Nintendo, but I see a number of retired guys being able to master VR somehow

Not still retired (I am 50) but no problem at all with VR. I will not play without it. I have been waiting 30 years for this since my first experience in VR, I remember that quite well.VR90s.jpg.4a449ef56e7ae97f6ee661028068726b.jpg

On 6/21/2019 at 3:44 AM, SharpeXB said:

It’s too much like a blurry scuba mask.

You have to try the Pimax5K+, no scuba mask anymore.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:17 PM, WheelwrightPL said:

Please try to explain it to me: how can a retired (and by assumption: older) fella like you be proficient in VR ? Doesn't it require whiz-kid's dexterity and muscle memory to BLINDLY operate dozens and dozens of HOTAS key combinations ? Accordingly I would assume that VR should remain an exclusive domain of 15-25 year old's who were practically raised by Nintendo, but I see a number of retired guys being able to master VR somehow. I still mess-up my controls occasionally, despite clearly and logically labelled buttons on my VKB joystick, so I cannot even imagine making a leap to VR. 

This is a good question actually -- I would not recommend being in VR in order to learn the HOTAS button combinations, that's really quite difficult. Personally I fly in 2D mode in unchallenging conditions so I can practice where I have put all the buttons, and once I get to the point where I am not looking at my keybinds "cheat sheet" (paper version of my keybinds) or looking down at the controls for where to put my fingers, then I transition into VR. 

So put all controls onto HOTAS, then use 2D or 2D + TrackIR to learn them into muscle memory, then transition into VR.

9 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

You have to try the Pimax5K+, no scuba mask anymore.

There isn’t a graphics card made that can run the Pimax well enough. 

4 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

There isn’t a graphics card made that can run the Pimax well enough.

You have fair point here, all depend of what you consider as "well enough".

We could also say that there isn´t a CPU made that can run IL-2 VR well enough  (being 90fps always at max settings in all maps).

In fact, it is the the combo CPU+GPU (and RAM a bit) the responsible for the final fps result. If the CPU is not doing his job well (above 11 ms) then it doesn´t matter what GPU you put.

I have not a top CPU nor the top CPU, but running at balanced settings and with 72Hz mode I have an acceptable experience.  

Pimax has Fixed Foveated Rendering, this will really help here, but unfortunately it doesn´t work with IL-2

There is no contest in my mind. I went from hat switch snap views to hat switch sliding views. Next up was TrackIR 1.

I made the shift to TIR4 when 6dof became available.

Now I've spent over 3 years in VR. For me, there is no contest. If you want the feeling of being inside a simulated warplane, it's VR all the way.

Edited by =EXPEND=Tripwire
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

There is no contest in my mind. I went from hat switch snap views to hat switch sliding views. Next up was TrackIR 1.

I made the shift to TIR4 when 6dof became available.

Now I've spent over 3 years in VR. For me, there is no contest. If you want the feeling of being inside a simulated warplane, it's VR all the way.

That's what it really boils down to, there just isn't anything that comes close and this thread is making me want to strap the headset back on.

I have done 4K monitor, ultra wide monitor (both with head tracking) and finally have gone to VR (using a rift S). I am not going back to a monitor. 

Sure there are sacrifices (particularly field of view compared to the ultra wide display) but the benefit in immersion can’t be beat and once I am in the cockpit I forget about the field of view as it just sucks me in. I can’t imagine a simulator on a flat screen now. I have a full HOTAS setup and rudder pedals which helps the immersion greatly. 

My PC is hardly top of the line (Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4ghz, 16gb RAM and an RTX 2060) but I get perfectly acceptable performance with details put pretty high. Nothing better than looking out the window of my Bf-109 down over the ground. 

(Man I want to be home playing right now!)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Went from a homemade tracker to the rift when it came out. Just started flying with the HP Reverb now, and I must say, the pros for choosing headtracking are fewer and fewer. ID is no longer a problem. It'll never get around the fact that you can't "owl it" like you can with a tracker, but if you are like me and fly for immersion that is an easy trade, for being in the cockpit.

Edited by kissklas
My god, the spelling...

Almost old timer here, semi retired.

Long time Tir5 user and switched to a Rift over a year ago. My first hour in this sim with the Rift was worth every cent. My setup includes Warthog stick and throttle mounted (center stick, side throttle) in my pit where they feel perfect for control.  I also have two F16 mfd's mounted up front which are easy to use by feel, especially the corner rocker buttons for rads, cowls etc. 

Just got a new 32 inch 4k monitor to replace an old 24 incher that just died. So fire up the sim with Tir to check out the graphics and the screen image and detail was awesome at high 100's fps. But after five minutes that's all it was, a screen with a beautiful picture. Back to the Rift, back in the cockpit, and i'm transported back in time.

VR for me! 

Mostly single player and use complex engine management, no techno chat but use icons when needed.

• Like 2

was toying with the idea of going back to my TIR for a bunch of reasons... but then played a mission at the end of which I had to find my airfield and land under cloudy conditions, checking instruments, watching the temp gauges in my trusty Yak, looking out the sides to get a better view of the strip and best way to approach, nail the landing, taxi back with the canopy open...yup, can never go back!

On 7/3/2019 at 3:36 PM, Sgt_Joch said:

was toying with the idea of going back to my TIR for a bunch of reasons... but then played a mission at the end of which I had to find my airfield and land under cloudy conditions, checking instruments, watching the temp gauges in my trusty Yak, looking out the sides to get a better view of the strip and best way to approach, nail the landing, taxi back with the canopy open...yup, can never go back!

But can't you  lean to the sides with your TIR? I can with mine. I do taxi with my head off to the side the plane.

I'm sure in 3D it must be nicer, don't get me wrong. But I'm just hearing this leaning to the sides thing every now and then and I'm like... what kind of TIR is everyone using? Can't they lean with it?!

Edited by J2_Bidu

24 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

But can't you  lean to the sides with your TIR? I can with mine. I do taxi with my head off to the side the plane.

I'm sure in 3D it must be nicer, don't get me wrong. But I'm just hearing this leaning to the sides thing every now and then and I'm like... what kind of TIR is everyone using? Can't they lean with it?!

I used TIR5 before VR and used to crash the Ju-88 on landing more often than not. In VR I don't. You simply feel it much better. It's hard to explain.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HunDread said:

I used TIR5 before VR and used to crash the Ju-88 on landing more often than not. In VR I don't. You simply feel it much better. It's hard to explain.

I suppose that's why we evolved to see in 3d right? 😄 there must be something to it...

• Haha 2

On 6/11/2019 at 6:10 PM, Gambit21 said:

Track IR plus 4K monitor is the ticket for me.

I'm not giving up all that resolution for VR no siree.

Same here Gambit, for now I'll stick with Track IR.