von_Michelstamm

So, has anyone broken the sound barrier in their 262 yet?

😄

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Guido_Mutke

"Mutke went into a steep 40° dive with full engine power. While passing through the altitude of 12,000 m, his Me 262 started to vibrate and began swinging from side to side. The speedometer was stuck against its limit of 1,100 km/h (682 mph) (the maximum speed of the Me 262 is 870 km/h). The speed of sound is 1,062 km/h (767 mph) at an altitude of 12,000 m, depending on the environmental variables. The shaking intensified, and Mutke temporarily lost control of his plane. He reported that with the speedometer still off the scale he attempted to recover from the uncontrollable dive by adjusting the main tailplane incidence angle. Rather than just having a hinged elevator, the Me 262 could change the angle of incidence of the whole tailplane, a design feature that was later added to the Bell X1. Suddenly, the buffeting stopped, and control resumed for a few seconds. Mutke throttled back and his engines flamed out, and after the short period of smooth flight, the buffeting resumed and the aircraft began shaking violently again. He fought to regain control and re-light the engines eventually reducing the speed below 500 km/h. After a difficult landing, it was found that his plane was missing many rivets and also had distorted wings."

Please, not this again.

There is no way in hell that the 262 could break the sound barrier.  The drag from the engine inlets alone would prevent it.

• Upvote 4

Well unfortunatly I can't climb higher than 11,500(give or take 200) meters or so, above that both engines just cut off.

• Like 1

the real question would be "did devs coded the game in a way breaking sound barrier and noticing its effecs even possible?"

If so (I dont think so), then we should ask if its possible to do with ME262.

Anyways, I give 0 importance about it, Im so busy enjoying those jet engines lol 

Only thing that broke the sound barrier while flying the 262, was my cat, after I caught her gnawing my VR set cable. 😑

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

43 minutes ago, Horna said:

Only thing that broke the sound barrier while flying the 262, was my cat, after I caught her gnawing my VR set cable. 😑

Mate I actually LoL'd so hard at work I was crying, then had to explain myself

• Haha 1

You're not gonna get through the sound barrier without an area ruled fuselage.

18 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

You can, but it will take a lot more brute force than 262 has :^) 

fastest i go was 1100kmh, and s later i was going 0kmh, no way youll be able to go abow sound or close to it in game, and i dont beleve anyone did it in real 262

28 minutes ago, LongDongSilver said:

"A computer-based performance analysis of the Me 262 carried out in 1999 at the Technische Universität München concluded that the Me 262 could indeed exceed Mach 1[1][citation needed]."

What do you guys think of this? Are there considerations the analysis did not include?

I don't think those inlets are designed to cope with super sonic flow... but in a dive, maybe. The problem is, as many before me stated, that the cross section area of 262 do not follow the clean area curve so to not cause problems with the shock wave. When average speed of air molecules is mach 1 (and mach number has its own variables in play), the resulting interactions are far cry from your garden variety sub sonic aerodynamics.  

2 hours ago, Horna said:

Churchill's crack squad of SAS Sabotage Kitties strikes again! Talk about having to paws the game!

Ok, Ok, I'm done.

• Haha 2

Tacview says I got it to 0.98 mach by killing myself in a full power dive from 10km. No way it´s going supersonic.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Psyrion said:

Tacview says I got it to 0.98 mach by killing myself in a full power dive from 10km. No way it´s going supersonic.

close enough .02 . . . . . what a tease ;)

you should keep trying lol

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Talon_ said:

4 hours ago, CptSiddy said:

That's how the first supersonic fighters did it, with brute force ^^ MiG-19, F-100, F-8, F4D, F-11, as far as I can tell those don't have area rule fuselages.

1 minute ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

That's how the first supersonic fighters did it, with brute force ^^ MiG-19, F-100, F-8, F4D, F-11, as far as I can tell those don't have area rule fuselages.

i thought the f4 did in excess of mach 2 ?

Just now, Herne said:

i thought the f4 did in excess of mach 2 ?

Yes, the one I mentioned was the earlier F4D Skyray, but yep the Phantom, MiG-21, Mirage III those are Mach 2 fightes and they don't look like they follow area rule either.

Survived a Mach 1.0 dive (according to TacView), with full fuel, extra armour and bomb load, diving into the wind - only just managed to pull out at around 100ft from the sea, will put together a video from the recording file.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, 19RAF_MJDixon said:

Survived a Mach 1.0 dive (according to TacView), with full fuel, extra armour and bomb load, diving into the wind - only just managed to pull out at around 100ft from the sea, will put together a video from the recording file.

Tacview receives no data regarding wind speed or direction in IL-2 GB. If you want accurate data, test with no wind.

33 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

5 hours ago, CptSiddy said:

Or a dive. Any object can break M1 if falling from high enough. Even the human body.

1 minute ago, [DBS]Browning said:

Or a dive. Any object can break M1 if falling from high enough. Even the human body.

Yes, but it has to get high enough in the first place.

3 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

yes but to be fair in that case the air really was very thin 

5 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Oh, you can. Just use brute force. Most jet fighters of today do not have a narrow waist anymore.

8 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Oh, you can. Just use brute force. Most jet fighters of today do not have a narrow waist anymore.

Yep - a cube will go Mach 3 with enough thrust behind it.

13 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Yep - a cube will go Mach 3 with enough thrust behind it.

mikoyan-gurevich_mig-25rb_russia_-_air_force_an2195954.thumb.jpg.e9c5ef48323dbed2ad97b2c0253d6774.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

I added the wind to help pulling out at the end, as it seems to help (as it was a pretty close run thing even then!), but if it interferes with the Tacview record then fair enough.

Here's the video of the attempt anyway:

I think I went so fast that the in-game recording couldn't keep up in the cockpit view or something, either that or I entered another dimension (as you do.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Yes, but it has to get high enough in the first place.

Somewhere between mesosphere and stratosphere level?

lMr8SQW.png

8 minutes ago, CptSiddy said:

you went mach 1 there for a second...

About three seconds actually.

The breaking through the sound barrier caused cracks in my screen... :(:angry:

Me262.jpg

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, 19RAF_MJDixon said:

I added the wind to help pulling out at the end, as it seems to help (as it was a pretty close run thing even then!), but if it interferes with the Tacview record then fair enough.

Here's the video of the attempt anyway:

I think I went so fast that the in-game recording couldn't keep up in the cockpit view or something, either that or I entered another dimension (as you do.)

You went so fast the plane jumped out of its skin! and into another one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Is there a boom?

If you're asking about the human body breaking the sound barrier, then yes, yes there is. Actually it's called a boom-boom. Then you have to change your flight suit.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

You went so fast the plane jumped out of its skin! and into another one. 

Maybe I travelled back in time to when it was painted like that.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 19RAF_MJDixon said:

Maybe I travelled back in time to when it was painted like that.

"Propellers? Where we're going we don't need... propellers!"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

IIRC many pilots reported breaking the speed of sound with prop driven planes, but it has been proven it was the speed gauges that were giving imprecise readings - which is no wonder since they were working on, or beyond their tested limits. 

So maybe the story in the OP is true, however the pilot was mislead by wrong readings.