Sign in to follow this  
Ala13_Willy_VR_

Me262 engine failure at startup

Hi all, I was wondering if any of you guys are having the same issue I am having with the Me 262.

I set up a quick mission offline and start in the air but as soon as I hit the pause button to begin (or sometimes some seconds later) I get the "engine failure" message and both engines shut off. Any ideas?

Thanks

ah nevermind! red your post wrong, can't help with that, sorry

Edited by EpeeNoire

Startup engines pressed

Engine 1 starter spools, as it moves past 1k rpm I press ignition button and hold as it reaches 2k I get engine damage notifiucation with fire on engine 1. 

End of flight attempt.  Fn annoying.  There seems no way to avoid it in standard setup of 262 at my end.

Set your throttle to max before mission start. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Set your throttle to max before mission start. 

No difference, as soon as the igniter ignites the jet - fire.

Throttle full forward before hitting mission start

Throttle cycled forward and backwards before engine start.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, blitze said:

Engine 1 starter spools, as it moves past 1k rpm I press ignition button and hold as it reaches 2k I get engine damage notifiucation with fire on engine 1. 

That should only happen if your throttle was moved too quickly from 0% to 15% (idle). When it reaches 2k, you have to sloooooowly move the throttle lever forward to idle position (15%). then let go of the ignition button. After that you can again slowly increase throttle until reaching 6000 RPM,. When you reach that, you can throttle up more quickly.

No it was immediate with no throttle input.

Engine ignites = fire in engine and damage leading to blowing up plane.

I went back to mods and used the fuel regulator valve - that allowed for successful engine starts and take off.  Harrowing as I thought solo flight Krasnodar I would be on big field, nope.  Small grassy field I was - I taxied to far edge of field and managed to get airborne on half full fuel just before trees.

Now to continue flight and land at larger field LOL.

Must set up cockpit center view too.  More forward and centered not to the right as is typical for German defaults.

Believe lukeFF was replying to the original poster not yours blitze he airborne spawn

Matts reply covers your situation, throttles zero on start, at 2k start moving throttles fwd until the clip on front engages. Just be sure second throttle has not moved to 15% like the first before you start the second

After move first throttle forward (15%) and finish first engine startup, select second engine and move throttle back (yes, the second will be at 15% forward). Start second engine startup procedure.

without fuel valve mod - 1st engine start = flamer.

I watched Requiems video on the 262 but first engine ignition at 0 throttle = fire.

Just now, blitze said:

without fuel valve mod - 1st engine start = flamer.

I watched Requiems video on the 262 but first engine ignition at 0 throttle = fire.

I have no problem to startup engine without fuel valve mod.

blitze - I have only used the non modded valve since its release - so at least similar to you.

Forgive if this sounds rude

Are you sure you are reading the correct rpm scale. The inner scale is very dull. I also start each engine individually - but should make no difference.

Inner scale reads from 0 to 3k outer scale from 2k to 14k

Ensure throttles set to 0%. Press E. RPM gauge starts to rise. Press the ignition button at about 800rpm inner ring which corresponds to about 4.5K on the more visible outer ring. Developer say this should be pressed before the rpm reaches 1000 (so between 800 and 1000). Hold this ignition button, after about 5-9 seconds the engine will audibly start to fire up. At 2000rpm inner ring (needle just past vertical) start increasing throttle slowly. Should get throttle to 15% just before rpm reaches 3k (on the outer scale now) and the small catch on the throttle moves forward. Release the ignition key.

Edited by 56RAF_Stickz

Checked my Throttle axis and it is not sitting at 0 at full back.  Will see if a calibration will fix the issue of if I have to set a low dead zone.

She flies nicely though.😊

Here is what you have to do

Press E (engine start bind)

1Select engine 1,

2 watch the tachometer for the correct engine

3 once it reaches 1000 rpms on the inside scale press the engine ignition button

4 Keep pressing until it reaches 2000 rpms once it does start increasing the throttle to 15%

5 You can let go of the ignition button

6 Deselect engine 1 Select engine 2

7 Put the throttle back to 0%

8 watch the tachometer for the correct engine

9 once it reaches 1000 rpms on the inside scale press the engine ignition button

10 Keep pressing until it reaches 2000 rpms once it does start increasing the throttle to 15%

11 You can let go of the ignition button

Now you have both engine running select both engine and increase (SLOWLY) the throttle until the rpms on both engines reach around 6500-7000 rpms the plane will start moving, decrease the throttle a bit and use the brakes to turn the plane THE RUDDER IS INNEFECTIVE

Also use the front wheel brake to keep the plane straight

Before take off Spool the engines to MAX RPMS and release the brakes, enjoy those ponies

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Ok, did a pull the plug on the X52 and re-plug it back in and move sliders through ranges - not throttle is showing full movement with full off at the low end.

I try 262 start procedure again.  After dealing with cockpit position.

just to add to what r6ckstar said. There is an inner and outer gauge for the RPM, so 1000 inner needle is almost on 5000 for outer reading. It was not at all obvious to me first few times in the rift.

My Startup routine is almost the same as R6ckstar except I don't bother with step 1 (ie both engines are left selected at the start) then step 6 is just 'select engine 2'  which automatically deselects engine 1 anyway.   I suppose there is one other small difference as I press the ignition button at about 800 instead of 1000

4 hours ago, R6ckStar said:

enjoy those ponies

Coz dem ponies is INSANE!! :yahoo:

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I press the ignition button at about 800 instead of 1000

Just keep it pressed until it kicks in. It took me about five goes yesterday to get me head round it but once you've done it it's a doodie.

Notice there's a locking position on each throttle lever..

It clicks in at about 15%, when gently throttling-up in stage 4 described above.

That's when I release the ignitor button, that's job done I think.

• Upvote 1

What helped me was at the point when needed to slowly increase the throttle I started keeping an eye on the temp of that engine. As long as I kept the temp at or under the hash mark above 100c, then I kept from causing engine fires. I had the temp start to rise above that and eased off the throttle movement until the temp started to fall just a bit then resumed throttle increase until 3000 rpm on the outer range. Haven't burned up an engine since watching temp during throttle up.

People are talking about two different things in this thread and are getting confused. 

The OP is talking about if you airstart and your control device throttles are set differently to that of the in game throttles you can break the engine as because the rpm will suddenly drop to match your controller.

The solution is before you airspawn make sure you increase your physical throttle to max.

I broke my engines on my first airspawn because of this but after that I set my controller to max before spawn and it works fine.

Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 1

And realistic. Personally I find starting the Me262 really fun. It's the most success I ever get to enjoy in a fighter ;)

starting a jet engine:

you wanna make sure you DON'T introduce fuel until it has reached a certain RPM if you do that before you'll get a hot start (fire)

and yes, you should watch EGT and/or TIT and if you see a spike in heat cut fuel and dry motor the engine. until  the fire goes out. 

I don't have the 262 but Im assuming there is a "cut off" position for fuel right?  

On 11/8/2019 at 2:38 AM, Y-29.Silky said:

The margin of error in starting this plane is so ridiculous. 

Why  is it ridiculous? If u looked at an early jet engine the wrong way it would break!

Edited by AeroAce

On 11/9/2019 at 2:02 AM, AeroAce said:

Why  is it ridiculous? If u looked at an early jet engine the wrong way it would break!

I've only managed to start the first one, the 2nd one always blows out.

@Y-29.Silky I am guessing that as you start engine 2, you are using a single throttle axis which is set to 15% instead of 0% (from starting engine 1). Give it a try in QMB and see if that is the case. When you switch to select engine 2, make sure you bring the throttle axis back to 0% and advance the throttle SLOWLY only after you reach 2000rpm.

Edited by QB.Creep

On 11/14/2019 at 9:19 PM, QB.Creep said:

@Y-29.Silky I am guessing that as you start engine 2, you are using a single throttle axis which is set to 15% instead of 0% (from starting engine 1). Give it a try in QMB and see if that is the case. When you switch to select engine 2, make sure you bring the throttle axis back to 0% and advance the throttle SLOWLY only after you reach 2000rpm.

That is not needed. The only thing u need to do is press the correct igniter and the right time.

@AeroAce Maybe it's because I use the same axis for both engines and switches to select engines?

I absolutely do need to follow the steps I mentioned when I start the 262. If I do not, I end up immediately gunning engine 2 to 15% throttle and starting a fire.

@Y-29.Silky If you're still having difficulty, watch this video: 

Edited by QB.Creep