Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Steam VR Settings for Rift S?

Hey gang,

Been away from IL-2 for a few days, went back in today and my Steam VR updated.

I think the manual override settings for display must have changed.

I had been setting it on 100% and using OTT for my Rift S for SS and that has been working well for some time with both Rift CV1 and Rift S.

So I did that, and my performance tanked some. I had another look in there and Steam said for my device recommendation was 36%.

I just want to set Steam VR ( dang they may it complicated), to run my Rift S at it's native resolution, and I want to use OTT for any SS setting I would apply.

Any tips what I should set Steam VR to so I can accomplish this?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Buy Index I guess 😂

JK. Chili came to save the day again... but Don, with that beast Computer you really want to get maybe a Pimax5k+ once their Controllers and Basestations release, or even an 8KX end of this year.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Try to set OTT=1.0 and then SteamVR SS=100% (Manual override in Video settings) and SS=100% (App settings). A restart SteamVR.

Then you should have 1648x1776 per eye resolution shown below the slider of SteamVR. If not try to re-install OTT and/or SteamVR

Then, when you have 1648x1776, set OTT=1.48 and then you should see 2444x2634 per eye resolution in SteamVR below the slider.

Rift-S.jpg.f78f85a618001fb453f30ba4c80c187e.jpg

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chiliwili69 said:

Try to set OTT=1.0 and then SteamVR SS=100% (Manual override in Video settings) and SS=100% (App settings). A restart SteamVR.

Then you should have 1648x1776 per eye resolution shown below the slider of SteamVR. If not try to re-install OTT and/or SteamVR

Then, when you have 1648x1776, set OTT=1.48 and then you should see 2444x2634 per eye resolution in SteamVR below the slider.

Rift-S.jpg.f78f85a618001fb453f30ba4c80c187e.jpg

Thanks Chili,

But that 1648x1776 is not really the native resolution of Rift S is it? So is that 100% already doing SS on the Rift S?

I believe it's native resolution is 1440x1280 per eye?

Prior to this Steam VR update I received today, I could run Steam VR at manual override set to 100% and OTT at 1.4 and got great performance in IL-2.

If I do that now after this update, my performance drops considerably. So trying to figure out what has changed?

Should I drop Steam VR closer to the 1440x1280?

Also how to turn Reprojection off in Steam VR? Mine shows it is on and I don't see a way to turn it off.

I seem to have gone a little stupid here...

Edited by dburne

There are two terms:

- Panel resolution: In this case the Rift-S is 1280x1440 per eye (putting first the horizontal pixels)

- Default resolution: In this case the Rift-S is 1648x1776 per eye (as shown in SteamVR when SS=100%

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/46990-oculus-rift-s-pre-order-announcement/?do=findComment&comment=774688

Why the default resolution is higher (usually) than the panel resolution?

This is because the device has to produce a distorted image in the panel which is corrected when you see it through the lenses. Most of the devices introduce an internal SS to produce a better image, but this is up to every manufacturer. The Rift CV1 was doing the same thing.

I don´t know what this new update of SteamVR has brought, but it would help if you can drop a screenshot of the SteamVR/Setting/Video and SteamVR/Setting/App

Posted (edited)

Ok thanks Chili, I will have a look a little later this morning.

Ugh I so do not care for Steam VR.

I have never used a per app setting in Steam VR, I always just set to manual at 100% in global setting - it states it would apply to all unless an app setting was used.

Edited by dburne

For some reason my performance goes down with some of the il2 updates. Could be my Migoto installation as it's the only mod I use. But every time I get this after an il2update I manually delete the whole il2 folder and reinstall from steam (saved user settings). The performance difference is rather big and unmistakable.

Interesting. Might be worth a shot.

So you save

Skins

Controls

startup.cfg

Then reinstall the whole beast ?

38 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Interesting. Might be worth a shot.

So you save

Skins

Controls

startup.cfg

Then reinstall the whole beast ?

Only controls as I don't make other changes. Make sure to manually delete the il2 folder as uninstalling from steam does not and leaves files from your existing installation.

Again, I've only experienced performance decreases from some il2 updates and my migoto mod installation could very well have been the culprit.

Posted (edited)

Well after much faffing about I seem to have finally got it back where it was.

For some strange reason Steam VR at 100% manual was throwing a crazy high resolution number in there.

I am not sure how, but now I have it where it is showing the correct resolution for 100% - 1648x1776.

Image clarity and performance appears to be back to what it was running.

I think that Steam VR update somehow managed to throw things off for me for some reason.

I still so wish 1CGS would support Rift natively, but guess that is something they will not do or have time to do.

Edited by dburne

After flying three more missions in my PWCG campaign, while it is certainly better now I am convinced I am not getting as good

performance as previously. So since I got both the Steam VR update and the IL-2 update at the same time, hard to say which might have

played a part in this.

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 11:16 AM, dburne said:

Any tips what I should set Steam VR to so I can accomplish this?

I still maintain that SteamVR conflicts with the Oculus software, and that you're better off installing OpenComposite to bypass SteamVR. You will even potentially gain some FPS because OpenComposite goes direct to the Oculus API and saves a few CPU cycles (although on your insanely powerful rig, maybe it won't matter). If you use OpenComposite then OTT is the only thing trying to set pixel density and you'll save yourself a headache.

Chili's answer is going to be the best advice if you're determined to stick with SteamVR, but a lot have people have made the switch and are happy with OpenComposite instead.

Edit: Also, you can always use OTT's "visual hud" set to "pixel density" to 100% confirm what the current setting is. You need to do this when in-game, maybe on the menu screen or something.

Edited by Alonzo

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I still maintain that SteamVR conflicts with the Oculus software, and that you're better off installing OpenComposite to bypass SteamVR. You will even potentially gain some FPS because OpenComposite goes direct to the Oculus API and saves a few CPU cycles (although on your insanely powerful rig, maybe it won't matter). If you use OpenComposite then OTT is the only thing trying to set pixel density and you'll save yourself a headache.

Chili's answer is going to be the best advice if you're determined to stick with SteamVR, but a lot have people have made the switch and are happy with OpenComposite instead.

Edit: Also, you can always use OTT's "visual hud" set to "pixel density" to 100% confirm what the current setting is. You need to do this when in-game, maybe on the menu screen or something.

Ok, going to give uninstalling and re-installing Steam VR a go.

If that does not help, guess I will give Open Composite a try. Not a big fan of open software but if it helps why not I guess.

May not get a chance to till later in the week though.

Edited by dburne

5 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Exactly this, I have a beefy system and was never happy with il2 with rift s and steam vr.  Open composite is the bomb, such a better experience and performance.

8 hours ago, dburne said:

Not a big fan of open software but if it helps why not I guess.

Can I ask what you mean by this statement? I'm not being argumentative, I'm genuinely curious. 

7 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Can I ask what you mean by this statement? I'm not being argumentative, I'm genuinely curious. 

Just my personal preference really. I am always very careful with third party software.

Having said that though I am likely going to give Open Composite a shot as I really do not care for Steam much and especially Steam VR. 

Only reason I have them on this PC is for IL-2 VR.

Open Composite seems to be a no go for me, game will not launch with the Open Composite dll.

I replaced the openvr_api.dll with the one I downloaded from GitLab and the game just will not launch?

Weird i never replaced any files for il2, just installed Open composite and ran it worked just fine.

7 minutes ago, MercCrom175 said:

Weird i never replaced any files for il2, just installed Open composite and ran it worked just fine.

I am using the method to download the new open composite dll file and replace the one in the game directory with it.

Maybe I should try the install option..

16 minutes ago, MercCrom175 said:

:good:

Ok using the installer seems to have taken care of it.

Thanks,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dburne said:

I am using the method to download the new open composite dll file and replace the one in the game directory with it.

Maybe I should try the install option..

Ok using the installer seems to have taken care of it.

For some reason, the "download just one file" thing isn't working any more. That's the method I previously used. It broke at some point either due to IL2 or SteamVR or Oculus (gah, so much software!) but I fixed it using the OpenComposite installer thingy and doing a systemwide replacement of SteamVR.

Do you notice any difference? It ought to be a tiny bit smoother but your rig is a monster in the first place.

(BTW I increased my AVX clockspeed from 4.8 to 5.0ghz 😄 )

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

For some reason, the "download just one file" thing isn't working any more. That's the method I previously used. It broke at some point either due to IL2 or SteamVR or Oculus (gah, so much software!) but I fixed it using the OpenComposite installer thingy and doing a systemwide replacement of SteamVR.

Do you notice any difference? It ought to be a tiny bit smoother but your rig is a monster in the first place.

(BTW I increased my AVX clockspeed from 4.8 to 5.0ghz 😄 )

Oh yeah!

Just flew a PWCG cold start mission in the Spit, performance was excellent once again, I think even better than before that last Steam VR update which seemed to hose my performance.

Cold start from parking, taxi to runway, takeoff - fps pegged at max 80 fps for Rift S , and in air pretty much stayed like 78-80.

Took down an FW 190 and a couple Ju 87's - performance still great.

Great stuff, glad I did the Open Composite. Also really enjoying the clarity along with performance of the Rift S.

Cya Steam VR!

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

The 1-file version is till working for me but actually it's rather two files beause you also have to create an opencomposite.ini file in the same directory.

I have 'enableAudio=False' line in the file because that is what the instructions say but I believe it would work with just an empty file as well.

This all sounds interesting, I'm tempted to try it as the only Steam app I have is IL2. 

Is it easy to switch back if everything goes pear shaped?

Dave

43 minutes ago, Lensman1945 said:

This all sounds interesting, I'm tempted to try it as the only Steam app I have is IL2. 

Is it easy to switch back if everything goes pear shaped?

Dave

I think so - while I have not tried it the full install version I got has an option to switch back to Steam VR.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I think so - while I have not tried it the full install version I got has an option to switch back to Steam VR.

Cheers Don, I'll take the plunge then :)

Well pleased with this opencomposite solution. Worked first time and IL2 launched nice and quick without all the Steam stuff. Played around a bit with the Rift S settings and got some very pleasing performance. With the Rift's improved screen clarity I got amazing visuals with OTT super sampling at 1.2 and IL2 on Ultra including 4K textures. Flying the Spitfire Mk.IX with the gyro sight I could read everything clearly including the tiny text on the face of the gyro. It's difficult to imagine how it could get much better than this! With ASW switched off I was getting frame rates between 75 and 80 with a 4 on 4 dogfight. The S is a very impressive headset.

Posted (edited)

Nice. I am glad to hear that. Can you share your specs please.

I am building my new PC this weekend.

Going from I7 4770K to I7 9700K. I am keeping my old GTX 1080. Hoping to see better framerates in VR.

Currently can't get consistent fps of more than 40 which is unplayable for longer than 5 minutes.

Got one kill in Berloga and nearly puked ☹️

Withs ASW I am gettin very bad stutters , ghosting and double image on planes .  

Edited by 307_Banzai

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Lensman1945 said:

Well pleased with this opencomposite solution. Worked first time and IL2 launched nice and quick without all the Steam stuff. Played around a bit with the Rift S settings and got some very pleasing performance. With the Rift's improved screen clarity I got amazing visuals with OTT super sampling at 1.2 and IL2 on Ultra including 4K textures. Flying the Spitfire Mk.IX with the gyro sight I could read everything clearly including the tiny text on the face of the gyro. It's difficult to imagine how it could get much better than this! With ASW switched off I was getting frame rates between 75 and 80 with a 4 on 4 dogfight. The S is a very impressive headset.

Yes the Rift S is pretty awesome, I am so pleased with the clarity of the image along with the performance.

I always have ASW off for IL-2. 

And Open Composite is so much nicer and leaner than Steam VR.

Now I can finally be rid of Steam.

Edited by dburne

31 minutes ago, 307_Banzai said:

Nice. I am glad to hear that. Can you share your specs please.

I am building my new PC this weekend.

Going from I7 4770K to I7 9700K. I am keeping my old GTX 1080. Hoping to see better framerates in VR.

Currently can't get consistent fps of more than 40 which is unplayable for longer than 5 minutes.

Got one kill in Berloga and nearly puked ☹️

Withs ASW I am gettin very bad stutters , ghosting and double image on planes .  

Specs in signature :)

You should be golden with the 9700K

• Thanks 1

So  Open Composite and the OTT is the way to go with Rift S? No need for Oculus home or SteamVR then right?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

So  Open Composite and the OTT is the way to go with Rift S? No need for Oculus home or SteamVR then right?

Yes it definitely is the way to go IMHO.

Yes you still need Oculus Home running.

No you will not need Steam VR running.

I use OTT just fine with it.

Edited by dburne

10 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

10 hours ago, dburne said:

Yes it definitely is the way to go IMHO.

Yes you still need Oculus Home running.

No you will not need Steam VR running.

I use OTT just fine with it.

Technically OTT offers to let you install something called "Oculus Homeless" which replaces the Oculus Home environment with a featureless grey landscape. This is useful (if you don't use Home) because it uses almost zero GPU and memory. I believe Home auto shuts off when a VR game is running, so you don't actually save anything in a game, but it's good to not have your GPU running at 40% all the time when you're not in VR.

ott-oculus-homeless.png.b3cf2a7e3362bfa3273c25ff78027dac.png

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Technically OTT offers to let you install something called "Oculus Homeless" which replaces the Oculus Home environment with a featureless grey landscape. This is useful (if you don't use Home) because it uses almost zero GPU and memory. I believe Home auto shuts off when a VR game is running, so you don't actually save anything in a game, but it's good to not have your GPU running at 40% all the time when you're not in VR.

Thanks for the tip, I did not think Home could actually be closed anymore and the headset still work. I use OTT guess I never paid attention to that feature.

I will say though, my GPU idles fine and does not run at 40% as long as Home is closed.

If I launch Oculus Home though, even at desktop then yes my GPU runs higher.

Edited by dburne

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Thanks for the tip, I did not think Home could actually be closed anymore and the headset still work. I use OTT guess I never paid attention to that feature.

I will say though, my GPU idles fine and does not run at 40% as long as Home is closed.

If I launch Oculus Home though, even at desktop then yes my GPU runs higher.

Yes you're totally right. What Oculus Homeless does is let you have the Oculus window open (because it keeps bloody opening, sigh) and ignore it, because underneath it's running an empty grey box instead of a fancy Home environment. I got sick of shutting down Oculus only to have it open all the time so now I just ignore it.

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 6:33 PM, dburne said:

Thanks Chili,

But that 1648x1776 is not really the native resolution of Rift S is it? So is that 100% already doing SS on the Rift S?

I believe it's native resolution is 1440x1280 per eye?

Prior to this Steam VR update I received today, I could run Steam VR at manual override set to 100% and OTT at 1.4 and got great performance in IL-2.

If I do that now after this update, my performance drops considerably. So trying to figure out what has changed?

Should I drop Steam VR closer to the 1440x1280?

Also how to turn Reprojection off in Steam VR? Mine shows it is on and I don't see a way to turn it off.

I seem to have gone a little stupid here...

“...and how to turn Reprojection off in Steam...” did you ever find a way? After the latest Steam VR update I’ve managed to loose the prop spinner animation to quite a few planes. “Reprojection” was brought up in my thread as a response. Unreal. Now the prop spinners in the FW lineup and the 109’s refuse to animate correctly.

I have OpenCompsite and I think today I’m going back to it. Steam VR causes too many woes now and then (I’m beginning to suspect). Totally onboard for making IL2 VR native. Wow, would that save a lot of headaches for us end users.

Edited by BornToBattle

5 minutes ago, BornToBattle said:

“...and how to turn Reprojection off in Steam...” did you ever find a way? After the latest Steam VR update I’ve managed to loose the prop spinner animation to quite a few planes. “Reprojection” was brought up in my thread as a response. Unreal. Now the prop spinners in the FW lineup and the 109’s refuse to animate correctly.

I have OpenCompsite and I think today I’m going back to it. Steam VR causes too many woes now and then (I’m beginning to suspect). Totally onboard for making IL2 VR native. Wow, would that save a lot of headaches for us end users.

No I did not find a way to turn it off, but I think my OTT setting maybe overrode it.

But yeah Open Composite is the way to go, at least for me - much less hassle and better VR performance for me.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, dburne said:

No I did not find a way to turn it off, but I think my OTT setting maybe overrode it.

But yeah Open Composite is the way to go, at least for me - much less hassle and better VR performance for me.

Thanks once again sir.  Funny, I’ve noticed some peculiarities just recently with my graphics in VR I think I can pin on performance issues as you have noted also.Only software updates have occurred (Steam VR and of course I2) and all settings as they have been, nothing’s changed. I’ve noticed now where with my current settings (as I’ve always used) when in quick combat where I would get solid graphics of a plane going by in the external flyby mode I now get what I would describe as “a dual overlay” of the aircraft as the plane comes closer into view, then back to normal as it flies off. Kind of a ghosting effect. Didn’t do that before and like I said nothing new here except updates. 

I have OC and don’t know the reason I backed out of it but I’m going to do some experimenting today and knock Steam VR out of the picture and see what happens. Using OC along with OTT may solve both of my graphics woes right now. Fingers crossed, though I’m doubtful on the prop spinner animations being screwed up now as I suspect IL2 in its bowels somewhere has been corrupted for whatever reason.

You know how it is -  instead of a line of code reading 00010001101 it now reads 00010001100 and pukes.

Also debating upgrading from a 5930K to a 9960X. Yeah, I’d be going the YOLO route I guess you could say which in my circumstances might not be a bad idea - unfortunately.

* whoa...love you’re setup Don! Running that 9900K @ 5.1? Geeeeez...I don’t mess with overclocking. Don’t know enough.

Edited by BornToBattle

2 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

Thanks once again sir.  Funny, I’ve noticed some peculiarities just recently with my graphics in VR I think I can pin on performance issues as you have noted also.Only software updates have occurred (Steam VR and of course I2) and all settings as they have been, nothing’s changed. I’ve noticed now where with my current settings (as I’ve always used) when in quick combat where I would get solid graphics of a plane going by in the external flyby mode I now get what I would describe as “a dual overlay” of the aircraft as the plane comes closer into view, then back to normal as it flies off. Kind of a ghosting effect. Didn’t do that before and like I said nothing new here except updates. 

I have OC and don’t know the reason I backed out of it but I’m going to do some experimenting today and knock Steam VR out of the picture and see what happens. Using OC along with OTT may solve both of my graphics woes right now. Fingers crossed, though I’m doubtful on the prop spinner animations being screwed up now as I suspect IL2 in its bowels somewhere has been corrupted for whatever reason.

You know how it is -  instead of a line of code reading 00010001101 it now reads 00010001100 and pukes.

Also debating upgrading from a 5930K to a 9960X. Yeah, I’d be going the YOLO route I guess you could say which in my circumstances might not be a bad idea - unfortunately.

* whoa...love you’re setup Don! Running that 9900K @ 5.1? Geeeeez...I don’t mess with overclocking. Don’t know enough.

Thanks !

I have been very pleased with it, built it in mid Jan and she has been rocking along quite nicely, running 5.1 Ghz on all 8 cores with no AVX offset.

Very pleased with the VR performance.

Prior to VR I would never have built such a rig, VR has proven somewhat costly for me LOL.

I don't think there should be any more prop spinning anomalies since the last IL-2 update , but then I always have ASW turned off when flying so I 

would not have noticed either.

Yeah definitely give OC a go, I am sure glad I did especially after that last Steam VR update.