Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SP1969

SE5a

Recommended Posts

I may have wet myself a little.

 

Joy, joy, joy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At hand, maybe, but only three shakes......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick test.

Trimmed full nose down still had to have decent stick forward for level flight.

Got level flight at around 75% throttle. 

 

What's the trim wheel for again? I can't see any use case except full forward.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep... had a go with the S.E.5a last night. (and the Albatros)

Both were easy to take off and land (very forgiving)... and a joy to generally fly around the area and fling about a bit.

Requiem has done his usual famil videos for both of them...

 

Combat flying today to see how they do against each other  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

Quick test.

Trimmed full nose down still had to have decent stick forward for level flight.

Got level flight at around 75% throttle. 

 

What's the trim wheel for again? I can't see any use case except full forward.

 

If it's like the RoF one, a spring centred stick will put in quite a lot of up elevator at neutral because the real a/c had a lot more back-stick travel than forward-stick travel. Have a look in external view with it on the ground. I suspect the elevators will be up quite a bit when hands off. For RoF I ended up using an FFB stick as the only way to get round the problem before they added the tuneable response curves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flew the SE5a about in OG server yesterday for a little while, thank you to the gentlemen concerned for allowing this.

 

I'm certainly out of practise! 

 

Seems to deal well with the DVIIF at furball altitudes.

 

A well flown Dr1 is a problem, the marked difference in speed between the two aeroplanes seen in RoF seems much lower here and means the SE5a pilot has to be very careful to maintain energy and gaining separation, if one screws up the initial attack certainly  isn't as easy as it used to be......

 

I suspect the DVa is going to be easy meat once I'm back in the groove.

 

Speed and acceleration seems right, dive characteristics better then RoF, in as far as the engine doesn't overspeed when throttled back, so a more realistic dive speed is possible, climb rate at 1600 rpm@70mph seems identical in feel to RoF. 

 

Rolls well, rudder is responsive, spin recovery spot on. 

 

Wings remain attached unless you do something dumb, absorbs a fair amount of battle damage.

 

Which is nice.

 

I have an X52 pro stick and throttle - the nose up attitude is an issue, and is affecting my aim.

 

Real SE5a had a jack screw mechanism that varied the incidence of the horizontal stabiliser, enabling the rigger to dial out the tendency to assume a nose up attitude - not sure how to make this happen in FC - any tips would be appreciated - in RoF I used curves.

 

Certain DVa pilots ( they know who they are ) with good aim will wound you with their first burst - the nose up attitude, combined with the red mist effects, means there is very little chance of retaining control, let alone achieving a crash landing.

 

As in RoF, this is far and away my favourite single seater.

 

Soon as the Arras map gets here - well, let's put it this way - I anticipate my right arm getting more exercise than at any time since I discovered a stash of 'adult magazines' when I had just moved to grammar school.....

 

 

 

 

Edited by SP1969
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SP1969 said:

Real SE5a had a jack screw mechanism that varied the incidence of the horizontal stabiliser, enabling the rigger to dial out the tendency to assume a nose up attitude - not sure how to make this happen in FC - any tips would be appreciated - in RoF I used curves.

It has an adjustable horizontal stabilizer controlled by the pilot via a wheel on the left side.  Should use the same binding as horizontal stabilizer trim control in the WW2 planes.  Works for me.

Edited by -332FG-Garven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite like the SE5a, so far, although flying against the A.I is hardly a great test. It seems to be better able to stay with an Albatros in a turn with a little extra power, or speed retention, for trading angles into out of plane manouvering. My biggest disapointment is that no adjustment to the angle of fire has been, or could be, done.  The bullets stil leave the barrel at the wrong angle.  I'm surprized to hear that the stabilizer adjustment doesn't give a more positive nose down attitude (I use FFB so notice it less), given that the fuel tank is not in a position to affect CoG depending on fuel level, unlike the Camel.  Maybe the Dev's have some secret way of knowing our weight and adjusted our CoG accordingly (which is a polite way of saying " You fat bast**d, of course it fly's tail heavy").

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

My biggest disapointment is that no adjustment to the angle of fire has been, or could be, done.  The bullets stil leave the barrel at the wrong angle

Same here looks completely wrong once you notice it.  If it was correct you would see better over the nose for high angle deflection shots.  They can do amazing things in this sim, but yet somehow the Aldis on two of the planes can't be corrected due to technological limitations.  

Edited by -332FG-Garven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Quite like the SE5a, so far, although flying against the A.I is hardly a great test. It seems to be better able to stay with an Albatros in a turn with a little extra power, or speed retention, for trading angles into out of plane manouvering. My biggest disapointment is that no adjustment to the angle of fire has been, or could be, done.  The bullets stil leave the barrel at the wrong angle.  I'm surprized to hear that the stabilizer adjustment doesn't give a more positive nose down attitude (I use FFB so notice it less), given that the fuel tank is not in a position to affect CoG depending on fuel level, unlike the Camel.  Maybe the Dev's have some secret way of knowing our weight and adjusted our CoG accordingly (which is a polite way of saying " You fat bast**d, of course it fly's tail heavy").

 

That isn't fat, it is a bloody sandbag.

2 hours ago, -332FG-Garven said:

It has an adjustable horizontal stabilizer controlled by the pilot via a wheel on the left side.  Should use the same binding as horizontal stabilizer trim control in the WW2 planes.  Works for me.

I'll try, thanks very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, -332FG-Garven said:

Same here looks completely wrong once you notice it.  If it was correct you would see better over the nose for high angle deflection shots.  They can do amazing things in this sim, but yet somehow the Aldis on two of the planes can't be corrected due to technological limitations.  

I thought the issue was not the Aldi's, but that the AI wouldn't be able to use a gun that is not aligned along the vector of flight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, thenorm said:

I thought the issue was not the Aldi's, but that the AI wouldn't be able to use a gun that is not aligned along the vector of flight. 

 

Yes, I think that was the reason given, I had rather hoped that it might have been overcome with this updated game engine though. 

 

Why a player should be limited by what the A.I can do is beyond me though.  I would have thought that the player ability to adjust the convergance was game mechanic enough to compensate between A.I and players.  If the player SE5a already had a default built in extra long convergance, for the Vickers, of for example, 2000 yds or whatever (obviously the longer the range the more the bullets have to arc up to allow for bullet drop), before allowing for the normal player defined preference to set the convergance from that point.  All that would need to then happen is for the front of the Aldis to move up to be in line with the extreme convergance range.  Obviously we aren't really intreasted in where the bullets are at that extreme convergance range, just where they cross the bead of the sight after 200 yds, more or less.

 

20-ac3b3fb891.jpg?gl=GB

Tails up

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salute friends!

 

Ive put in a few hours on MP now when servers have had 5-6 people in them. Big thanks to the OG server for spinning that up. I’ve started racking up half a dozen kills in her and have noticed a few differences to RoF.

 

1. The wings! Thank The Maker! At last they don’t come off when someone frowns at them. It really feels like a BnZ bird now and fixes my biggest gripe with the RoF model. Fast dives are now a joy rather than a roll of the dice. 

 

2. Energy retention on the zoom feels better than the spad now. It’s sad but I think I’m done with the Spad as it is in FC for energy fighting.

 

3. Speed! Man she feels fast, even when disengaging from a DviiF who is diving on you. It now reminds me of McCudden’s comments about being able to quickly get out of a scrap. I could be wrong but I feel like I can disengage faster than in RoF.

 

4. She turns a tiny bit better than in RoF but she’s still an energy fighter. I can see pairs of her being lethal. The DviiF is her biggest threat as there’s no point engaging one without height advantage and the F has excellent climbing. I did manage to get a couple through bouncing including a pilot instant kill. 

 

5. I miss response curves. Even with the stabiliser im putting constant forward pressure.

 

she will outclimb all the German birds on the sim right now except the DviiF, and I was able to swot down two dvs this evening by extending and them climbing above them. She feels amazing in VR.

 

see you in the skies soon friends 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Waggaz said:

She feels amazing in VR.

 

Agree very much.  I've recently been flying a lot more DCS as well as plenty of BoS but the stars of the VR show are undoubtedly the WW1 birds of Flying Circus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Waggaz said:

Salute friends!

 

Ive put in a few hours on MP now when servers have had 5-6 people in them. Big thanks to the OG server for spinning that up. I’ve started racking up half a dozen kills in her and have noticed a few differences to RoF.

 

1. The wings! Thank The Maker! At last they don’t come off when someone frowns at them. It really feels like a BnZ bird now and fixes my biggest gripe with the RoF model. Fast dives are now a joy rather than a roll of the dice. 

 

2. Energy retention on the zoom feels better than the spad now. It’s sad but I think I’m done with the Spad as it is in FC for energy fighting.

 

3. Speed! Man she feels fast, even when disengaging from a DviiF who is diving on you. It now reminds me of McCudden’s comments about being able to quickly get out of a scrap. I could be wrong but I feel like I can disengage faster than in RoF.

 

4. She turns a tiny bit better than in RoF but she’s still an energy fighter. I can see pairs of her being lethal. The DviiF is her biggest threat as there’s no point engaging one without height advantage and the F has excellent climbing. I did manage to get a couple through bouncing including a pilot instant kill. 

 

5. I miss response curves. Even with the stabiliser im putting constant forward pressure.

 

she will outclimb all the German birds on the sim right now except the DviiF, and I was able to swot down two dvs this evening by extending and them climbing above them. She feels amazing in VR.

 

see you in the skies soon friends 

 

 

Agreed with all of these, Waggaz.

 

Especially with the comment about pairs.....got bounced by the DVII's wingman a couple of times today. If someone had been watching my tail, it would have been nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, thenorm said:

I thought the issue was not the Aldi's, but that the AI wouldn't be able to use a gun that is not aligned along the vector of flight. 

I would think it could be solved by making the AI SE5a a separate model from the player controlled one.  In the end if that couldn't be done I'd rather it modeled accurately/correctly at the expense of the AI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...