Sign in to follow this  
Redglyph

Me 262 and the general state of documentation

Hello,

First I'm really excited with the new release 3.101, and in particular the Me 262! It's really a new era to explore.

But it also points out the obvious problem which has been there all along: the absence of any documentation on how to operate those airplanes.

For most of them it's pretty simple, for early two-engined planes like the Bf 110 it's getting sometimes complicated, because of the faulty startup procedure in cold conditions (the user has to know he must start each engine individually to avoid a stall). Some late aircraft get even more complex, like the P-47.

And each time we have to guess how they start, how they taxi, how they take off. Sure, the flight limitations are shown in the summary/brief panel, but it's simply not enough most of the time. And for the 262 it's getting puzzling, I see there is an ignition control, but when exactly must the pilot press it, and how long? Can it be used with the 'E' auto-start, or should we use individual engine start? (always better IMHO). What's the maximum speed on ground, depending on the type of terrain?  How to restart in flight?

There was a manual years ago, I'd suggest to update it with the current aircraft, that would be most helpful :)

Posted (edited)

See Requiem's latest video:

Requiem also has videos on the other planes in the sim. See "Aircraft Guides" in the IL-2 Resources post.

Edited by JimTM

Would be nice if the game would provide the info but for the moment we need tutorials and own research for a lot of things

Posted (edited)

Yup should have some semi in depth manuals per aircraft and its proper procedures, especially since most in this community will find issues doing manual ish starts

Edited by MercCrom175

Posted (edited)

I think that even a simple set of procedures for the startup, take-off and landing would already be enough. Part of the information is in the brief panel and it's probably not the place to add more.

A simple text file would be great, or maybe another alternative suggestion, an additional brief panel for the procedures? Thankfully it should be quite short and easy to do since it's not a full in-depth system modelling.

Hopefully the support will read this.

@JimTM Thanks, I know Requiem's great videos. Thankfully he did one pretty quickly, and sometimes other people will post information as well.

But it's not really the point of my post, the vendor has this information and it would be possible to give it to us with little effort, thus avoiding people wasting time with trial and error, or guessing how things should work :)

For ex, I had the time to install the patch, and check the Me 262. I tried the standard procedure and it failed, I thought it was improbable this would be a bug, so I looked everywhere for clues, found none, restarted the mission, checked the controls, saw a new ignition control and tried it a few times (restarting the mission every time). Finally I gave up since I was running out of time.

If I had had this simple procedure, I could have enjoyed that much more ;)

Edited by Redglyph