Sign in to follow this  
WIS-Redcoat

4k damage skins

Does anyone have comparison shots of the damage skins from before and after?  I always felt like the damaged skins were one of the most lacking part of the plane textures.

Also, are these new 4k damage skins only on the most recent 4k upgrades or were they on the others?  (109-F2, IL2, etc)

• Upvote 1

There are improved damage decals on Fw190d and Me262 or my eyes are bad.

6 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

There are bad quality damage textures in some planes, but this mod enhance most of them.
hope we can get better one with official release.

Only for BoS and BoK planes. 

16 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

There are improved damage decals on Fw190d and Me262 or my eyes are bad.

Yes sorry to say but they are, face the fact your are become old. 🙂 

Stil see the ugly inkt spots in the me262 wings. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

Yes sorry to say but they are, face the fact your are become old. 🙂 

Stil see the ugly inkt spots in the me262 wings. 

Need to check again today after work☺️

maybe it was wishful thinking that they was improved

Edited by Voidhunger

We have several official 4K skin in game, and only P-47D with no 4K damage texture.
some 4K damage textures not really work well, but perfect in Flying Circus planes.
I'm wondering which technic did FC used...

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

We have several official 4K skin in game, and only P-47D with no 4K damage texture.
some 4K damage textures not really work well, but perfect in Flying Circus planes.
I'm wondering which technic did FC used...

FC planes' art is produced by a third party (Ugra). It's my assumption, but thanks to the fact that their activity involves fewer tasks, they are able to produce more refined results, starting with high-res texture maps. The quality gap between newer and older planes is becoming evident.

Edited by Picchio
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Picchio said:

FC planes' art is produced by a third party (Ugra). It's my assumption, but thanks to the fact that their activity involves fewer tasks, they are able to produce more refined results, starting with high-res texture maps. The quality gap between newer and older planes is becoming evident.

The difference in quality was quite evident in the initial Kuban aircraft actually, from a resolution point of view anyway.

You can count the vertexes/faces on the old 190 A3 cowl for instance, but with the arrival of the Kuban aircraft they kicked the geometry resolution up a notch.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

The difference in quality was quite evident in the initial Kuban aircraft actually, from a resolution point of view anyway.

You can count the vertexes/faces on the old 190 A3 cowl for instance, but with the arrival of the Kuban aircraft they kicked the geometry resolution up a notch.

I noticed that, hope they can go back and touch up the cowls on some of the older planes. It's visible on some of the older 109's as well.

Edited by JgonRedcorn

I checked damage decal in DCS, they used only 2K texture but in game, it's far better than GB(4K)
I don't know why, might be a technical issue.
maybe Ugra can provide some experiences to save our WWII planes 👀

All of our damage textures are updated and re-done to 4K standard when we update the skins. If you don't like them, I'm sorry. If the skin is 4K the damage textures should also be 4K along with the Normal maps.

And we beg to differ on your DCS comparison. WWI planes are typically torn fabric material and not metal. Big difference in how you represent the damage.

Jason

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

As Jason said any 4K skins should have 4K damage textures to go with the main textures.  The "ink spots" are due to limitations on the model geometry, or more specifically a "lack of interior geometry".  It would look even worse if there was an actual hole because there would be no interior and we would see right the way through.

Going from 2K to 4K damage textures is not as dramatic as a normal-map or diffuse (main) texture.  A jagged edged hole is a jagged edges hole and the differences will be subtle but if you compare our original 2K damage textures to our newer 4K damage textures there is an improvement.

Here is the Spitfire MkIXe 2k compared to 4k damage textures.  All other textures are 4K.  I hope this helps answer some of the questions/misconceptions in this thread.

Spit 2.jpg

Spit 1.jpg

Edited by ICDP
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, ICDP said:

The "ink spots" are due to limitations on the model geometry

That's quite said, especially when it's way better in CLOD..

Thank you @ICDP , I always enjoy your wonderful skin.
Sorry about that DCS topic, our 4K skin looking good at big holes, and DCS one looks more realistic at small holes.
maybe we can learning from that.  

reference.jpg

1 hour ago, Arthur-A said:

As I have said for the umpteenth time. We have about 4 months to build a plane from nothing to game ready. CLOD team had years for their limited number of planes. Team Fusion has also had much longer for their damage content assuming it will be at the same level of original CLOD. You can't build the complete inside and outside of a plane to our standards in 12 weeks. 

Thanks do guys like ICDP and BHH we can improve what we have to maximize our current tech.

DCS applies different effects and technology to some of their damage. I have no time or resources to change how our damage works. Maybe in another newer engine I can. If I had 12 months per plane instead of 12 weeks we'd have the best damage around with the same tech.

Jason

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Arthur-A said:

Thats because ClOD models the interior geometry (wings spars, frames, etc.) Il2 BoX doesn't model the interiors and if they did the modeling would take much longer. I'd personally prefer the more detailed model but I can understand why they went for the simpler approach. 

EDIT: Also just want to add that the amount of work/time that goes into modeling interiors is insane let alone all the info you need to do it properly.

I'm currently gathering info on a P-47 D-22 Razorback that I'm gonna model and the amount of stuff that goes into interiors is pretty pretty crazy.

Edited by Legioneod

I didn't mean to get this topic puffed up, I think they look great and merely wanted to see the difference as the 4k texture thing is exciting.  Much love to the guys who work on it for us.

3 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

As I have said for the umpteenth time. We have about 4 months to build a plane from nothing to game ready. CLOD team had years for their limited number of planes. Team Fusion has also had much longer for their damage content assuming it will be at the same level of original CLOD. You can't build the complete inside and outside of a plane to our standards in 12 weeks. 

Thanks do guys like ICDP and BHH we can improve what we have to maximize our current tech.

DCS applies different effects and technology to some of their damage. I have no time or resources to change how our damage works. Maybe in another newer engine I can. If I had 12 months per plane instead of 12 weeks we'd have the best damage around with the same tech.

Jason

It's the same thing with these stupid youtube comparisons people are making all of a sudden. DCS module costs 50-60 dollars for one plane, that's all you get. Here you get 20x the content for the same price and an active online community. It's like people can't understand how a plane that was made in that amount of time isn't exactly the same as one that's been in development for 2 years. Really blows my mind. I don't understand why people can't just enjoy the sims we have, nobody said you can only play one. The 4k damage skins ICDP posted look pretty darn good to me.

5 hours ago, ICDP said:

Hi guys,

As Jason said any 4K skins should have 4K damage textures to go with the main textures.  The "ink spots" are due to limitations on the model geometry, or more specifically a "lack of interior geometry".  It would look even worse if there was an actual hole because there would be no interior and we would see right the way through.

Going from 2K to 4K damage textures is not as dramatic as a normal-map or diffuse (main) texture.  A jagged edged hole is a jagged edges hole and the differences will be subtle but if you compare our original 2K damage textures to our newer 4K damage textures there is an improvement.

Here is the Spitfire MkIXe 2k compared to 4k damage textures.  All other textures are 4K.  I hope this helps answer some of the questions/misconceptions in this thread.

Spit 2.jpg

Spit 1.jpg

The 4k damage looks 100x better and the way you were able to use 2d texture work to add some depth and simulate the interior is great. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2