Posted (edited)

I opened and closed the throttle violently and this is the result... working as expected! 😃

Thanks a lot devs!!

Today started my holidays at work so Im at home and will play it like there's no tomorrow... So sad I dont have holidays at univer so I still have to go, lol.

Thanks again, have good flights everyone!

IMG_20190610_133107.jpg

Edit: that was a hard but successful landing for sure! 😂

IMG_20190610_135028.jpg

Edited by ME-BFMasserME262
  • Like 1

Does anybody know the climb-schedule?

Best climb is usually an IAS, but the ASI is already in the TAS-range where she schould climb best...

I need to know her roll rate at 400 mph please :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Anybody knows how to stow the sight? The keybindings seems to say RAlt+F but it doesn't work. Tried to map a joystick button as well but no joy...

2 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

I need to know her roll rate at 400 mph please :ph34r:

Some men just want to watch the world burn 🤣🤣🤣🔥

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Does anybody know the climb-schedule?

Best climb is usually an IAS, but the ASI is already in the TAS-range where she schould climb best...

image.png.1f909b8d22c56bbf16ca7ef785e2d5e7.png

From the August 1944 manual.

4 hours ago, frosen said:

Anybody knows how to stow the sight? The keybindings seems to say RAlt+F but it doesn't work. Tried to map a joystick button as well but no joy...

Works fine on my end. Might be a silly suggestion but are you using the gyro? You can´t stow that one.

Edited by Psyrion
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Edit: that was a hard but successful landing for sure! 😂

Ha! Ha! I concur wholeheartedly!! I ended up (after flameout) in someone's back yard with every dog in the neighbourhood barking like they were possessed!! I haven't tried the upgraded throttle yet though, to be fair!

• Haha 1

This plane is fun.   Although we need to have a red vs. Blue me262 tournament...

the jet age has arrived.

shes a bitch to start (love it), get off the ground, and damn she’s fast!  I haven’t the luxury of trying to land yet...

im liking that we actually have to light igniters and introduce fuel to get started..  not any old pilot without patience will be able to fly this bird

• Upvote 1

I overshot the runway by 200 yards but I landed her safe and sound.

this is a new era altogether. 

• Upvote 1

Three tries to get her airborne. Two long landings. Not bad for our short BoX fields so far. Need a couple 10,000' paved strips now :)

I'm actually almost done flying her, though, sticking to my loves; the prop jobs.

When they get to Korea and both sides are more balanced with the kerosene burning monsters, then I'll get back in the jet saddle. *wink

24 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Three tries to get her airborne. Two long landings. Not bad for our short BoX fields so far. Need a couple 10,000' paved strips now :)

I'm actually almost done flying her, though, sticking to my loves; the prop jobs.

When they get to Korea and both sides are more balanced with the kerosene burning monsters, then I'll get back in the jet saddle. *wink

Are they going to Korea next?????

5 minutes ago, II./JG77_HankDG said:

Are they going to Korea next?????

No, but it is Han's dream to go to Korea eventually.

• Upvote 1

I am impressed, I did not even notice this was missing until much later. Handles great though landing does get a little touchy.

QzFYMVl.jpg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Woohooooo!!!!!!!!

With 45% fuel and removing the inner cannons, and help from a 4kph wind from the west-southwest, got her off the ground the first try at Agoy on the Kuban map.  Took a while to light the first engine but by cycling back to SYN_Requiem's video on YouTube I got through the procedure.  

IL2_Box_262_Firstflight_01_zpstrb59g1v.j

IL2_Box_262_Firstflight_02_zpsrlz7h1p0.j

After a takeoff that was tighter than I like to admit , got her cleaned up and had lots of fun.  Smoooooth..... Got a little too enthusiastic playing on a canyon run and managed to flameout engine #1.   Couldn't get it re-lit - select engine 1, press E, never cycles up, what's the catch?

IL2_Box_262_Firstflight_03_zpsxww6tcyo.j

No worries, left #2 throttled up at 90% and practiced some single-engine flight.  Not bad!  Then came the moment of truth, single-engine landing.  Got her down to 350 over the water then set up for an approach, with everything hangin' out in the breeze at 250.  Unfortunately with the wind setup I was making a downwind landing...even so, I should have kept power on just a touch longer but managed to get her over the threshhold and set down after floating her a little bit.  Then ALL OVER THE BRAKES and wrangled her to a stop, even made the exit taxiway while all the kids were watching... yeah, "I meant to do that"  😎

IL2_Box_262_Firstflight_04_zpsa3tux514.j

IL2_Box_262_Firstflight_05_zps7zj6ohvb.j

Unfortunately although I had managed to look like Joe Cool up to that point, I found that taxiing this bird on one engine and a free-pivoting nosewheel only leads to doing a constant Newbie Spin on the taxiway.   Whatever....helluva first flight, I could get used to this!

IL2_Box_262_Firstflight_06_zpso464aee8.j

GREAT job by the development team, THANK YOU!!!!! Also hats off to SYN_Requiem for a very thorough, timely and punctual tutorial that made all the difference in the world!!! 

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

No, but it is Han's dream to go to Korea eventually.

didn't know this.

Even if I still want to see some WWII planes before Korea... Just imagine those Migs...

Anyways, with the plane that gave me my forums/games name, Im more than pleased and happy already 😄

Edited by ME-BFMasserME262
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The 262 certainly has peculiarities. Insofar I have this as my immediate doubts:

1 - What is the exact takeoff procedure? I get the feeling I am either using too little or too much of the flaps, since I keep overshooting the runway before reaching lifting speeds. By the end of the runway I always end up rotating and killing speed. Either the runways are too short, or there is an exact amount of flaps to give you slower stall speed while not holding you too much, which I am not getting right. Come to think of it, I haven't tried holding the brakes and giving time for the rpm to rise, maybe thats it?

2 - There is a thingy on the speed indicator... something that obscures the needle between 300 and 350 kph. Seems to be an adjustable marker. Can we interact with it? 

3 - Had little flameouts this far. It seems you are safe to go if, besides going easy on the throttle lever, you try to keep rpm between 6000 and 8000. Is that right? Even landing? It is possible to bring the rpm down to 6000 and lose enough speed to land, but I feel it would be easier if I could really bring it to "idle". Apparently that's incorrect procedure, though.

4 - Full throttle gives an 'emergency power' warning in the technochat. It seems to  be correct procedure, though, to keep it at full most of the time, since temperatures won't go into the red after a long time of flying full throttle. Is that correct?

Edited by danielprates

Jimminey Frickn' Cricket. She is SO fast!

22 minutes ago, danielprates said:

The 262 certainly has peculiarities. Insofar I have this as my immediate doubts:

1 - What is the exact takeoff procedure? I get the feeling I am either using too little or too much of the flaps, since I keep overshooting the runway before reaching lifting speeds. By the end of the runway I always end up rotating and killing speed. Either the runways are too short, or there is an exact amount of flaps to give you slower stall speed while not holding you too much, which I am not getting right. Come to think of it, I haven't tried holding the brakes and giving time for the rpm to rise, maybe thats it?

2 - There is a thingy on the speed indicator... something that obscures the needle between 300 and 350 kph. Seems to be an adjustable marker. Can we interact with it? 

3 - Had little flameouts this far. It seems you are safe to go if, besides going easy on the throttle lever, you try to keep rpm between 6000 and 8000. Is that right? Even landing? It is possible to bring the rpm down to 6000 and lose enough speed to land, but I feel it would be easier if I could really bring it to "idle". Apparently that's incorrect procedure, though.

4 - Full throttle gives an 'emergency power' warning in the technochat. It seems to  be correct procedure, though, to keep it at full most of the time, since temperatures won't go into the red after a long time of flying full throttle. Is that correct?

1. The Me 262 needed longer runways than are found on the existing maps. You can just about get airborne from some (try the SE most airfield on the Kuban map), but it it is marginal.

2. Look again. It reads up to 400 Km/h below the 'thingy' and from 400 Km/h upwards above it. The difference is that below it shows IAS, and above it, TAS.

3. You shouldn't need to go below 6000 rpm on landing approach, it gets quite draggy with gear and flaps down.

4. Not sure about full throttle for extended periods: the spec says a maximum of 15 minutes. 

See Requiem's video (here) for takeoff and landing procedures.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

1. The Me 262 needed longer runways than are found on the existing maps. You can just about get airborne from some (try the SE most airfield on the Kuban map), but it it is marginal.

2. Look again. It reads up to 400 Km/h below the 'thingy' and from 400 Km/h upwards above it. The difference is that below it shows IAS, and above it, TAS.

3. You shouldn't need to go below 6000 rpm on landing approach, it gets quite draggy with gear and flaps down.

4. Not sure about full throttle for extended periods: the spec says a maximum of 15 minutes. 

See Requiem's video (here) for takeoff and landing procedures.

Great, thanks! As for the thingy, that's fascinating. I cant remember a plane of this period having an instrument automatically calculating TAS. I guess it became necessary only with the 262 and it's novel speed range.

59 minutes ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

Whats the engine start up sequence on the 262 ?

Watch the tutorial video that's been linked to more than once here and elsewhere.

1 minute ago, danielprates said:

Great, thanks! As for the thingy, that's fascinating. I cant remember a plane of this period having an instrument automatically calculating TAS. I guess it became necessary only with the 262 and it's novel speed range.

I suspect it may have something to do with critical Mach speed being more closely related to TAS than IAS. Do more than Mach 0.84 and you get Mach tuck apparently.

2 hours ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

Whats the engine start up sequence on the 262 ?

• Like 1

Made a perfect first landing, long though as expected. 

I did get one problem, and that was that the nosewheel got stuck in a lefthand turn 😕, after the aircraft came to full stop. Tried every thing to get it released, but no. 

she is a beast! Got a train from an approx 45 degree one long squeeze blew 9 oil carriages in one go! The landing was smooth at 200kph tho I could not get faster with full flaps and gear, but she was manageable, as for first takeoff I hit a house at high speeds, no explosion, she seems to lack the blowing up part when hitting the ground, as yesterday I shot one down in the La5Fn and once it hit a cornfield its burning engine detached and she dragged a line in the field for around 50 meters long. (she fell from rather high up, but not very steep)

5 hours ago, danielprates said:

The manual says throttle down to idle, coming in at 220-250km/h, and touchdown at 180-200km/h.

Gear down below 350km/h and below 300km/h flaps down in steps, not all at once (certainly to prevent her from climbing) and flaps after the gear is out completely and locked.

For takeoff, 20° flaps. Braking her while throtteling up, has not a lot of effect, as she anyways doesn't move before you reach about 8000rpm.

Curious about how TAS could be computed/displayed in the Airspeed Indicator? Was there some sort of mechanical computer to transform IAS to TAS?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tapi said:

Curious about how TAS could be computed/displayed in the Airspeed Indicator? Was there some sort of mechanical computer to transform IAS to TAS?

I was baffled by this too. But then I thought, well, the gërat in other planes that controls mixture, shutters etc, does a lot more with a higher quantity of data. To display TAS from IAS you only need altitude and temperature, if I'm not mistaken, so it takes a device simpler than other more complex ones that were already available.

3 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

The manual says throttle down to idle

Idle being 6000rpm? Some idle, it's 4/5 down the course of the lever!

Edited by danielprates

11 minutes ago, danielprates said:

Idle being 6000rpm? Some idle, it's 4/5 down the course of the lever!

The instructions for diving in the manual says idle is around 5000rpm. 

17 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

The instructions for diving in the manual says idle is around 5000rpm. 

I think I got it wrong. 6000 to 8000 is the normal operating range.

But as @AndyJWest said above, indeed the plane gets very draggy with gears and flapa down. Bringing it down is just matter of practice. Insofar I found that the main difficulty is the lenght of the runways we have, not only for taking off but for landing too. If you pass some 1/3 of if, and unless to are going ultraslow, its hard to stop in time.

I find it mildly disappointing that the throttle bottom stops are not modeled fully. It's too easy to accidentally choke the engines dead in flight by dropping the throttles too low.

On the real plane there are locks-outs to prevent this. In game they are visually modeled but don't function as intended.

Also, has anyone run into mach tuck? At what speed is it expected? I'm encountering the opposite issue to what I expected. At high speed I can't keep the nose down. I hit 940kph but had my stick all the way forward just to maintain the dive. It felt like I was flying a Dr.1. . . . at 940kph😲

50 minutes ago, pfrances said:

I find it mildly disappointing that the throttle bottom stops are not modeled fully. It's too easy to accidentally choke the engines dead in flight by dropping the throttles too low.

On the real plane there are locks-outs to prevent this. In game they are visually modeled but don't function as intended.

Also, has anyone run into mach tuck? At what speed is it expected? I'm encountering the opposite issue to what I expected. At high speed I can't keep the nose down. I hit 940kph but had my stick all the way forward just to maintain the dive. It felt like I was flying a Dr.1. . . . at 940kph😲

You are unable to move the throttles below engine idle while the engine is running. If this has happened to you it is because your engine has flamed out.

keep an eye out on your exhaust gas temps, do not let it drop below 450 degrees

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Herne said:

You are unable to move the throttles below engine idle while the engine is running. If this has happened to you it is because your engine has flamed out.

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification!

Dive bombed a train and my engines cut out on the pull-up, nail biting 😂

The sound of the jets are addictive when you’re pushing 800.

1 hour ago, Herne said:

Interesting...I'd killed my engines a couple times; thought it was because I moved the throttle levers down too FAR, but the real issue was I apparently moved them down too FAST (and caused the flameout)?

17 minutes ago, Rekt said:

but the real issue was I apparently moved them down too FAST (and caused the flameout)?

Yep, you gotta take your sweet sweet time to throttle down, you do not need to worry about throttling down too much as the minimum it can get while the engine still running is 15%, but you gotta do it very, VERY slowy. My first couple of landings were deadstick ones because of that :P

• Thanks 1

To re-light a flamed out engine, is it just a matter of throttling that engine back and holding down the igniter until it fires back up, or is there more to it?

I was unsuccessful in performing a restart on the only flight so far where I've had a flameout. 

10 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

To re-light a flamed out engine, is it just a matter of throttling that engine back and holding down the igniter until it fires back up, or is there more to it?

I'll try that next time. Since I was coming to land anyways the engines going out didnt bother me that much LOL

If memory serves me correctly you can only restart below 4km though.

I believe the valve mod reduces ( or prevents completely) engine shut down due to reducing throttles too fast.