Hi folks,

Today we'd like to announce the

IL-2 Great Battles Recorder

Mod/Tool

Screenshot-v1-0-0-1.png

The purpose of this mod/tool is to overcome an annoying limitation of the game:
Whenever you record a track in IL-2 Great Battles, recording will silently stop once the track file has reached a size of 512MB.
This is particularly annoying when you are fighting online, on a crowded server, because tracks will grow quickly (512MB can be reached in less than 5 minutes) and as fate would have it, your recording will stop right before the most interesting things happen in your mission/sortie.

Using IL-2 Great Battles Recorder, you can concentrate on your flight and let this tool automatically restart recording another track - silently, automatically, in the background, with no further action required on your end.

Find download links, further descriptions, discussions, opportunities to talk directly to the devs of this tool/mod here:

IL-2 Great Battles Recorder @sas1946.com

:drinks:

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 16
  • Upvote 8

Hello SAS_Storebror,

This is really appreciated, many ops missions are cut short of video but not now :)

Excellent! I recently posted in Suggestions that some method was needed to show that you weren't, or were about to, stop recording. This should do instead.

Cheers.

This works perfectly.  When I'm in VR and the enemy is sighted it would be inconvenient to life the headset and start recording.  I forget to anyway in the heat of the moment of contact.  Your mod works beautifully and nothing is lost.  Thanks, Mike.  🎖️

It does not work for me.  Complains about not being able to find IL2 path and I cannot see anywhere to tell it where to look.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

@56RAF_Roblex, the IL-2 GB Recorder creates a logfile "IL-2 Great Battles Recorder.log.txt" in the same folder where you've put the executable.

Could you show us that log please?

At the moment I can't think of a good reason for the tool not being able to locate your IL-2 path (other than renaming IL-2.exe that is).

Internally, the tool waits for the IL-2 process to come up and once it's there, it will look for the path of the executable belonging to that process.

Hardly something that could ever fail.

Mike

2019-06-16 19:54:42.499 # IL-2 Great Battles Recorder loaded.
2019-06-16 19:54:42.502 # Waiting for IL-2 Great Battles start...
2019-06-16 19:54:42.599 # IL-2 Great Battles started.
2019-06-16 19:54:52.884 # ERROR: Couldn't get IL-2 Process Path!
2019-06-16 22:01:00.114 # IL-2 Great Battles terminated.
2019-06-16 22:01:00.115 # IL-2 stopped.
2019-06-16 22:01:05.110 # Waiting for IL-2 Great Battles start...
2019-06-16 22:01:19.642 # IL-2 Great Battles Recorder closing.

The path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad"

******************************Addendum *******************

I thought maybe the problem was that I had it on my desktop so I moved it to its own folder in the C drive but it made no difference.   I then ran it with Admin mode and it worked.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Thanks for this work around on the limited filesize of the recordings Storebror. :soldier:

@SAS_Storebror I've been using you great Recorder app for several months. The app has never failed to restart the Track Recorder. I've recently tried reducing the track recording size by reducing the MB number in the "min. Track size for Restart Rec:". My objective is to have smaller track files to speed review and editing. Problem is that no matter what MB number I use, the IL-2 track file is always 512 MB when the tracking runs to the MB file limit. I currently have a setting of 10 in the "min. Track size for Restart Rec:". Track file still runs to the max MB file size and restarts. I'm I doing something incorrect or do I not understand how this app is suppose to work? 

Thanks for your great app!

Thanks for your reply @OCA_LoneStar.

The setting you've mentioned is just for setting up the minimum filesize required for the automatic track recording restart to get triggered.

The idea behind is this: Tracks automatically stop recording at ~500MB, but the precise size differs a bit from track to track.

In order to retain the player's ability to manually stop recording a track without this recorder app kicking in and restarting it, you won't want the automatic restart of track recording to kick in at any given track size, but only when the size of the created track file indicates that the recording was forcibly stopped by IL-2.

That's any value close to 500MB, per default this recorder uses 498MB for it's threshold.

What you are asking for is to have the recorder automatically stop the track recording at a certain maximum track file size.

That'd be a new feature.

I'll take that request into account if I ever touch this app again.

Mike

Posted (edited)

Unfortunatly it doesn't work for me however I reduce the size and increased to maximum the number of attempt

Edited by SunCup

I just found this. Thank you so much @SAS_Storebor

On 6/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, No_85_Gramps said:

This was a nice find amongst the hoopla of the new update!

Thanks!

Does what it says on the tin.

@SAS_Storebror Thank you for this tool. It makes me wonder why this feature is still not available as a ingame option. Unfortunately I have a problem with your tool. Windows defender smartscreen prevents the execution of your tool. This is the very first software to trigger this warning since I use Windows 10(since 2015). The properties say "It is a file from a different PC, access blocked for safety reasons"

Fox

On 9/23/2020 at 1:46 AM, iFoxRomeo said:

@SAS_Storebror Thank you for this tool. It makes me wonder why this feature is still not available as a ingame option. Unfortunately I have a problem with your tool. Windows defender smartscreen prevents the execution of your tool. This is the very first software to trigger this warning since I use Windows 10(since 2015). The properties say "It is a file from a different PC, access blocked for safety reasons"

Fox

Are you talking about this

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5357-unblock-file-windows-10-a.html

Yes, Option 3 is what appears. I'm aware how to unblock it. That is not the question. My question is, why does it appear? Is there a conflict with a certificate or why does this come up? What triggers this warning? I downloaded the file from sas1946 forum, but a warning always makes my eyebrown rise. Is there something Storebror can do, change in the file, so that this warning doesn't come up. I don't like to unblock stuff.

Fox

On 9/28/2020 at 1:53 AM, iFoxRomeo said:

Yes, Option 3 is what appears. I'm aware how to unblock it. That is not the question. My question is, why does it appear? Is there a conflict with a certificate or why does this come up? What triggers this warning? I downloaded the file from sas1946 forum, but a warning always makes my eyebrown rise. Is there something Storebror can do, change in the file, so that this warning doesn't come up. I don't like to unblock stuff.

Fox

Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher is a trusted source. You have to pay MS for that , doesn't mean its necessarily dangerous, its a security measure to help ppl that do stupid things and get viruses that's new with windows (another level of protection). Most viruses are files like these (not signed by trusted registered certificate) but just because its not doesn't mean its a virus. You have to trust the source and unblock it yourself that's why it happens, unless you turn this off in windows (not advised). And just be because a program is signed from a trusted source doesn't mean its virus free either, but most well known site make sure files they publish as virus free. (you should virus check all files from the internet).

@SAS_Storebror
I noticed when you enable the start with windows option and set app to minimize to tray its not doing minimizing to tray on windows start. You have to click it and minimize it  manually every time to make it go to the tray. Just FYI , minor bug.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09