Han

Game version 3.101 discussion: Me 262 A, T-34-76 UVZ 1943, Albatros D.Va, S.E.5a

Wait did someone say the arado 234 might be possible? I'd buy that.

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

I'll just throw this here, I have a few other recordings but no time to upload them. Sadly I totally forgot to record a track yesterday.

Yesterday evening (on WoL), I had two sorties with a lot of randomly appearing/isappearing planes, and I wondered if it had anything to do with patchnote 63. Here's an example:

Spoiler

Edited by Quinte

1 hour ago, Tyberan said:

Wait did someone say the arado 234 might be possible? I'd buy that.

its got the same engines too so...1CGS pretty please with flowers on top?

Would be awesome... but after the update I cant play. Not awesome! It says something about getting disconnected from the main server, and when I try to go into offline mode, it says there is a new version... I just installed the newest version...

1 hour ago, SShrike said:

I believe those are the flare tubes!

Yes, those are the AZA-10 flare launchers.

16 minutes ago, Thrasher said:

It says something about getting disconnected from the main server, and when I try to go into offline mode, it says there is a new version... I just installed the newest version...

Exactly same here.

My internet connection is 100% so it is not that.

Guess the IL2 authorization server is getting hammered with all the updates (?)

2 minutes ago, Dallas88B said:

Exactly same here.

My internet connection is 100% so it is not that.

Guess the IL2 authorization server is getting hammered with all the updates (?)

Ok cool. At least im not going insane and im not losing my computer skillz in my old age. I already went through the whole process of checking my firewall settings, logging into the main site, verifying my passwords and everything.

I will just play later after the kinks are worked out. But was a bad time for it to fizzle. I was logging in specifically to show a friend the awesomeness of flying in this sim with VR....Now she has gone to bed lol. She was excited to learn about it as she has gotten into other VR stuff. I guess I will have to blow her mind with it later.

Posted (edited)

Great update like usual Devs....I know the hipe is all for 262 now...but I look forward to see the P51 flying...

Hope devs can release it soon..

Edited by ITAF_Rani

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, TP_Silk said:

The trouble here is that we are now at the mercy of mp server admins with regard to what THEY want to see rather than what WE want to do

This should be a player option, not a server option.

People who take the time and effort plus the resources to run servers should always have the last say about how their missions are made and executed.

The players option is to join or not join any available server, so the player always has the option.

18 hours ago, JG27_Kornezov said:

The best compromise is to make it a player made option not on server side. Everyone will be happy.

I think you will find that not everyone would be happy with that. I wouldn't for a start. Compromises by definition do not make everyone happy.

Difficulty settings should always be server side, otherwise it is not possibly to have a server on difficult settings. The reason I play on servers with maximum difficulty setting is so that I know that I am flying alongside and against others with the same level of difficulty.

For that reason I strongly advocate "technochat" going to server side settings.

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Pict check the  Wheaton's Law. This is not difficulty settings those are annoyance settings. When you have limited time and what you want is to get into the action as fast as possible this is the last thing you will ask for. Those things are mainly for guys sitting comfortably in single player, not in a hurry to go anywhere, they may even be OK to fly just a circle above the field. When you do starting procedures 100+ times most seasoned multiplayer pilots won't find them very funny.
What I wrote was a compromise, and I was not mentioning the technocrat anywhere.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JG27_Kornezov said:

Pict check the  Wheaton's Law. This is not difficulty settings those are annoyance settings. When you have limited time and what you want is to get into the action as fast as possible this is the last thing you will ask for. Those things are mainly for guys sitting comfortably in single player, not in a hurry to go anywhere, they may even be OK to fly just a circle above the field. When you do starting procedures 100+ times most seasoned multiplayer pilots won't find them very funny.
What I wrote was a compromise, and I was not mentioning the technocrat anywhere.

There is an option for servers to have the engine running at start up, maybe that should be changed

• Upvote 2

I have found out that the Jeep and the Sdfz Flakvierling are available in the mission editor, and also in the game.

_SDKFZ7_2.thumb.jpg.ca96eacfa5d983f1be029743fa9bc0ae.jpg

Willys_1.thumb.jpg.f3ba51e53b77415b2bd408f724a6413b.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

A bit more of Zoom in VR will be welcomed. 

What VR zoom level would you like compared to the current one?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

I think the ideal would be a 5X zoom. The current VR zoom is about 2X, IMHO

Having both options would be awesome.

Edited by Nibbio

1 hour ago, Sneaksie said:

The preferred option in the 3Dmigoto mod seems to be 5x though if we could have the current one *and* the 5x one that would be perfect. The current one is good for shooting through the gunsight.

What zoom is available to non VR ? 

Personally I only use the zoom for help to ID contacts. I am using a mod which has an option for *5 which is very nice, but doesn't seem to work too well in the rift S at the moment. 1.5x is not enough though.

5X would be nice for better ID targets...

2x + 5x - if possible it would be nice to have it on a slider as well... so you can have zoom in increments

• Upvote 1

I didn't expect to enjoy Me 262 as much as I do. Great work devs!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, =FEW=unicus said:

2x + 5x - if possible it would be nice to have it on a slider as well... so you can have zoom in increments

2 binds: VR zoom increase, VR zoom decrease

Click once for 2x then again for 5x. Return from each level by clicking the other button.

• Upvote 2

If it could be adjustable, that would be really great. Maybe in the options menu. The 3D Migoto mod from @lefuneste offers a 5x and 10x "snap zoom" which is very useful. The animated in-game VR zoom could be improved by making it at least 3x, and maybe by removing the animation (on my machine, 8086K, RTX 2080) the animated zoom isn't completely smooth, and I'm not sure whether that's a shader issue or what. If it were configurable, you could leave the current defaults so new users have something basic, but allow more experienced users to dial in a higher level of zoom, possibly ditching the animation too.

2 hours ago, Sneaksie said:

The same way it works in non-VR, zoom in or out and it holds wherever you stop it.  The max level of zoom should be as close to non-VR as possible.

• Upvote 1

Resume zoom of 3d migoto seems perfect

Getting "Failed to Update" repeatedly after 8 to 10 tries.  Can anyone help?

Go to the folder where you have installed Il-2, locate the UPDATES subfolder and delete everything in there. Then run the launcher again and it should work.

Posted (edited)

Is your disk full? Someone else said to delete everything in the updates folder might help.

Edit: Hehe csThor beat me to it!

Edited by Animal_Mother

[Tongue-in-cheek pseudo-complaint] The update's cooling routines are not working. I am measuring 30° C in my computer room right at this moment, making it impossible to actually fly it. Please add climate controls so I can actually play the update. Thank you. 😜 [/Tongue-in-cheek pseudo-complaint]

I have just converted to VR and find the VR zoom function OK.  Yes it would be nice to have a better zoom, but to be fair I don't think the zoom level should be greater than that allowed for folks not using VR.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Upvote 1

Thank you csThor and Animal_Mother. That worked.

2 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

The same way it works in non-VR, zoom in or out and it holds wherever you stop it.  The max level of zoom should be as close to non-VR as possible.

Personally I think a "push and hold for zoom, release for normal" is likely better, simply because once you are zoomed in your view is not 1-1 with your head movement, and it would look weird if you accidentally unzoomed only partially. But that's just my opinion, it does show the difficulty in implementing something that everyone would like.

I think we can all agree the current 1.5x zoom is a bit anemic, so even just increasing that to 3x or something and changing nothing else would be an improvement.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sneaksie said:

The best thing should be to have the same zoom axis feature than in 2D.

So users who want to have the "transition" effect should have it by pressing zoom+ and  zoom- key, and people who want to have "snap" zoom should also have it by mapping axis "set value" funtion on their joystick. I find transition effect very  "nauseating" in VR...

By the way, why did you limit VR zoom to ~2x instead of providing same zoom level than in 2D ?

Edited by lefuneste

18 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

Bye !! 

A supercilious attitude doesn't become you mate, although it's entirely predictable.  Without dumbclucks like me spending money on this sim it's going to end up like DCS, , so online anyway, mass participation won't happen.  This is in stark contrast to the original il2, which gave nearly 2 decades of fun to thousands online and after which this sim is named, I thought there might have been an intention to evoke those halcyon days, it's beginning to look like I was wrong.

18 hours ago, LukeFF said:

You're giving up a whole lot if you find it that hard to either use one of the options that allows for a simplified engine startup or simply just remembering to put mixture and rpm at 100% before engine start.

It's the trend I'm commenting on.  The goalposts are being moved after the match has begun, whilst I appreciate these changes depend on the servers applying them, it's the servers I like to be on which will apply them.  Having limited time will prevent me from participating when, as I suspect they will, start ups become as full real as possible.  If I've got 2 hours to spend (I'm a bomber pilot, so fly multi-engined aircraft) and spend 15 minutes in procedure before take off, it leaves little time to do the high level, long distance sorties I like.  At the moment I fit in 2 at a visit, this will drop to 1 and also makes my aircraft more vulnerable to a vulch, or attack just beyond flak coverage at the airfield, whilst I'm still climbing, in which case it's start over or leave the server frustrated.

• Confused 1

You are not going to have to spend 15 minutes starting up, clam down.
   They will never be going for the DCS approach, not with this sim. 
The startup has gone from 1 click to 3, you will survive. 

• Upvote 1

1.5 x zoom is ideal to check smaller text and gauges. It would be nice to have two different zoom

I did the whole manual Me-262 start procedure a number of times. I am new in plane sims so I used paper instructions. The first  time took a long time (like 5 minute) but later a lot shorter. 

I like doing functional things as the correct start routine, not things like checking tire pressure from a virtual tire that never worns out or waiting 15 minutes to warm up an engine. But I only do SP.

I only play tanks online (WT real battles) I started WT simulator tank battles but that was not sim enough for me. In a tank sim I want full control of everything in and out the tank. Tank crew comes pretty close to that.  As a noob I can fly and crash an original Me262 without hindering other players and do very SP nice missions. The first one really hooked me. I flew 15 minutes or so in very bad weather and in the dark. Navigating on the map. AA shot at me but I even made it back home in a rather damaged plane too and manage to get it more or less in 1 piece on the ground. I killed nothing but it was more fun as the best tank battle I ever played. I now know what people mean if they talk about more immersing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remer said:

A supercilious attitude doesn't become you mate, although it's entirely predictable.  Without dumbclucks like me spending money on this sim it's going to end up like DCS, , so online anyway, mass participation won't happen.  This is in stark contrast to the original il2, which gave nearly 2 decades of fun to thousands online and after which this sim is named, I thought there might have been an intention to evoke those halcyon days, it's beginning to look like I was wrong.

It's the trend I'm commenting on.  The goalposts are being moved after the match has begun, whilst I appreciate these changes depend on the servers applying them, it's the servers I like to be on which will apply them.  Having limited time will prevent me from participating when, as I suspect they will, start ups become as full real as possible.  If I've got 2 hours to spend (I'm a bomber pilot, so fly multi-engined aircraft) and spend 15 minutes in procedure before take off, it leaves little time to do the high level, long distance sorties I like.  At the moment I fit in 2 at a visit, this will drop to 1 and also makes my aircraft more vulnerable to a vulch, or attack just beyond flak coverage at the airfield, whilst I'm still climbing, in which case it's start over or leave the server frustrated.

Since they've categorically stated there will never be click-pits, I can guarantee you they aren't going to go to fully real startups, because there's no way we're key-binding all that crap. You're just moving levers you would have to anyway for 99% of the planes in the sim. The only one that's any different is the 262. No extra time is consumed - its just you moving the levers rather than the computer. People have blown this completely out of proportion.

• Upvote 1

Complaining about the difficulty of starting up a plane less than 24 hours after it has been released doesn't make much sense. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sneaksie said:

I think a 3X and a 5X option would be fantastic to allow parity in identification for the VR players. In VR we simply don't have the same resolution as the 2d players, the 5x zoom evens the playing field.