Nic727

New Flight Simulator announced!

Hi,

Good news at E3 2019. Microsoft announced a new civilian flight simulator.

I'm really happy about that, because FSX engine was a mess. Flight Sim World was a step in the good direction, but like I said, the engine make it lag a lot and they ran out of money doing the game.

X-plane 11 looked good, but wasn't for me since you need other softwares for weather, flight plan, etc.

P3D is just an expansive version of FSX with some updates.

It's nice to see a real new Flight Simulator and I hope they will not fail.

Il2 for a combat... New FS for civilian flight. :)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks too good to be true... I thought the same about FSW, bought into it thinking it was the next step forward for civil flight sims... we all know what happened next.

Don't think I'll fall for any of that BS again.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

I was on the move to post the same link.  😁

This annouce trailer came out of nothing. It is really true, Microsoft is back in the flight sim biz?

I´ve watched the trailer 5 times now but I can´t belive it. The graphics are breathtaking...

P.s. now watched the 6th time...I still can´t belive it! I’ve been waiting so long for this. This will impact the civ.flight sim scene like an A-Bomb!

...and will crush X-Plane to dust. (and this from a 101% X-Plane fanboi)

Edited by Semor76

Posted (edited)

I won't get too excited until I see how they handle DLC, third party addons, and casual/hardcore audiences. As we've seen before, good graphics alone aren't sufficient to make a successful sim.

It would be amazing if they were to release something in the spirit of FSX, but I fear that it is unlikely in the current situation.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
  • Upvote 1

We will have to see what the gameplay is like.

I will say that the graphics are so beyond anything we've seen from a flight sim it's kinda sad, just shows you how much resources major developers have over the smaller companies.

• Like 1

Microsoft Store/UWP means this is locked down, not moddable, and almost certainly won't be accessible to third parties, or will be heavily curated. Hard pass. The instant Il-2 and that other sim run well enough in WINE, my hated Windows partition will be gone forever; I don't have a PC so Microsoft can turn it into a console. It's easy to make the visuals look nice when they're selling you a service that's streaming from somewhere else and will be gone when it bombs and they decide to cut their losses.

I would highly recommend avoiding excitement or anticipation for this (or anything else, for that matter).

Posted (edited)

200.webp?cid=790b76115cfd98696a6c772e63b

Edited by CUJO_1970
  • Haha 1

Wow - had a real "Jurassic Park" moment there when those giraffes started walking by 😁.

Never really been a fan of civilian flight sims, but if they really do release something decent that looks like that I might have to change my mind about that.

11 minutes ago, TG-55Panthercules said:

Wow - had a real "Jurassic Park" moment there when those giraffes started walking by 😁.

tenor.gif?itemid=7618954

1 hour ago, [120DIS]KathoriasTV said:

I would highly recommend avoiding excitement or anticipation for this (or anything else, for that matter).

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow great news - if it supports VR I will be all over it.

So this is an Xbox only title?   

What the heck is a "game pass", sounds juvenile at best.   

Will I need a new system and win10 to run it??   

( I am not keen on ditching win7 yet...)    

BUT...

It's about darn hecking time someone made a new flight sim!

and D E A D S T I C K looks like it never even made it to triage...

Bush planes!!!!!!! Aerobatics!!!!

S!

Planky.

3 minutes ago, Plank said:

games are made for kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

I won't get too excited until I see how they handle DLC, third party addons, and casual/hardcore audiences. As we've seen before, good graphics alone aren't sufficient to make a successful sim.

1 hour ago, Tycoon said:

We will have to see what the gameplay is like.

I'll be interested to see that too.  I find gameplay in the current flight sims to be such a grudging afterthought.  It really isn't good enough. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I'll be interested to see that too.  I find gameplay in the current flight sims to be such a grudging afterthought.  It really isn't good enough. 

Just to be clear I meant whether it will be an actual sim like fsx or not like microsoft flight. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by gameplay isn't good enough.

Edited by Tycoon

Not a civ flight sim fan but that looks incredibly good! I could see myself in one of the bush planes or an acrobatic version.

The eye candy is top notch!

Posted (edited)

This is just a trailer! Trailers don't show how game will look like. It's just a cinematic. There is no way it's going to look like this. 

7 hours ago, Plank said:

So this is an Xbox only title?   

Will I need a new system and win10 to run it??   

No, it will be on pc. MS is supporting pc more than ever, entire HALO series is also coming to pc. Game pass is almost the same as Xbox gold. You pay few $ monthly and you have access to games without buying them. So as long as you subscribe you can play these games. It's the same as Netflix or other stuff like this, but with games.

Probably windows 10 only. Nothing special about it, just like games don't support windows xp anymore, soon most games won't work on windows 7. 

8 hours ago, [120DIS]KathoriasTV said:

Microsoft Store/UWP means this is locked down, not moddable, and almost certainly won't be accessible to third parties, or will be heavily curated. 

No it does not. Microsoft made some deal with steam and they are publishing their games in there. So no more Microsoft store only. Game will definitely be available on steam. Also it's not like il2 is super moddable... 

I wish they would do MS combat flight simulator :mellow:

That MS rainbow logo tho :rofl:

Edit:

Also prove that MS does not stick to their own store anymore

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097840/Gears_5/

Edited by InProgress

So, we‘re supposedly getting a flight simulator that not only is supposed to run on lower end spec systems, but also primarily on AMD hardware. The later point makes it truly revolutionary. And there‘s giraffes. Meh. If there would have been LoLcats instead, I would have been impressed.

Bets are on now if MS tries to tax the cr*p out of addon producers again making this a stillborn.

There is one great upside to that, it might actually motivate LM to finally ditch their stone age autogen tech and replace it with something that can handle what ORBX (et.al.) are throwing at it. And maybe (finally!) make LM/XP get rid of 2D clouds.

As for the product itself, I have no hope.

• Like 1

This looks almost too good to be true. I wonder which technology they are using for textures and terrain mesh.

So far I've only seen something like this in 3D terrain models created by using photogrammetry techniques (here some example). I am not sure this would work in a flight sim on current PCs. So I am really curious how they did it. Or maybe the trailer is partially fake?

1 hour ago, InProgress said:

This is just a trailer! Trailers don't show how game will look like. It's just a cinematic. There is no way it's going to look like this. 

I wish they would do MS combat flight simulator :mellow:

Better is to wait untill players upload their in-game footages to YouTube and see how graphics differ from the trailer. And read how other players think about the actual game play.

IL2's trailer looks also much spectacular than the sim's graphics. Even Jason himself was not a fan of the trailer.

Imagine that MS decides to create a new CFS2  with graphics like as shown above.

Pacific, islands, carriers, Zero's, Iwo Jima, New Guinea, Guadalcanal.

I don't see it happen though.

CombatFlightSim2_PC_BOX.jpg

Well, this would be the first time in my life, that Microsoft would delight me with a product! Apart from their OS and the Office palette,

which are both more or less inevitable (I know, I know... Linux, OpenOffice etc.) in daily business, I've always been very, very disappointed

by their combat flight sims.

The first one was fugly, the second one too and finally the third one was a disaster to me! These so-called photo realistic terrains were

absolutely gruesome. Period! At the time people already complained about the look and graphic performance, and Microsoft then at

the time tried to calm down the customers in stating that with the current hardware there might be some performance issues and that

their product would look far better with future hardware...

But, after having much better hardware, even surpassing all recommended requirements by far, CS3 especially still looked f***ing ugly.

Carelessly modeled details such as building and trees popping up at the last moment, no attention to details such as proportions like

having rail tracks with the double wideness of the track width of the trains... etc. ad absurdum.

I think, Microsoft should stick on their core competence and leave it to others to create combat flight sims. Although with a nearly

"unlimited" budget and resources (one might think), they never achieved to release a good combat flight sim in my opinion. And if

you all have a look, what small developer teams can achieve (with smaller budget / resources), it is quite obvious that "big" in terms

of budget and resources doesn't necessarily mean that they will publish a cutting edge combat flight sim.

Just my thoughts...

Cheers

2 hours ago, -=-THERION said:

Although with a nearly "unlimited" budget and resources (one might think), they never achieved to release a good combat flight sim in my opinion.

Problem is that it takes good devs to make a top notch flight sim. Money is just a mean to that, but you had to find good programmers that know what they are doing and that choose not to work on such a project for other producers. Like at LM, where they probably could count on having a future. Doing this for MS, well, we all remember what happened to them at Aces studios or at MS Game Studios.

The only unlimited thing here MS is after is unlimited revenue.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it's all over every flight sim forum you go on... including this one!

Personally, I am  surprising you are all praising it when you are used to flying BoX.   Sure the scenery looks pretty in a superficial way but it looks a little weird close up and the cockpits are horrible.

• Upvote 1

Looks pretty. I used to tinker with bush planes all the time in MSFS but it's been a long time since they released a proper flight sim. We'll have to see if this is a decent one or just another MS Flight. If it's decent, I'll probably pick it up.

Posted (edited)

Well if this forum is about new flight sims it appears that Microprose might be making a come back.

You can check it out at  microprose.com  A couple of screen shots do look interesting, esp. combat flight sims.

Edited by Taxman
Added text
  • Like 1

Remember "Microsoft Flight" guys....

Also, since M$ basically sold off everything they had from the 25 years leading up to FSX to Lockheed-Martin, it can only be expected that any new attempt of theirs to hop back in the bandwagon would require a lot of starting from scratch... 

and that, means that glorious things like the A2A and PMDG fleets would most very likely not be at all compatible - unless massive pains were taken to work towards the very specific requirements of making that happen. Don't sound much to me like how they work, Microsoft being the best known case of extreme "not invented here syndrome"

For sure - I'd surely love to be wrong about this, though... but I'm always skeptical of anything that comes out of these big companies

9 hours ago, 19//Moach said:

Remember "Microsoft Flight" guys....

Also, since M$ basically sold off everything they had from the 25 years leading up to FSX to Lockheed-Martin, it can only be expected that any new attempt of theirs to hop back in the bandwagon would require a lot of starting from scratch... 

and that, means that glorious things like the A2A and PMDG fleets would most very likely not be at all compatible - unless massive pains were taken to work towards the very specific requirements of making that happen. Don't sound much to me like how they work, Microsoft being the best known case of extreme "not invented here syndrome"

For sure - I'd surely love to be wrong about this, though... but I'm always skeptical of anything that comes out of these big companies

I share your skepticism. It looks like Microsoft Flight on steroids. Anything also made for XBOX means it will probably not be a hardcore sim, unless they prove otherwise. For now I am more than happy with X-Plane 11.

They would be out of their minds if they have another try at gearing the game towards the most casual and disinterested customers  with only a passing interest in flying.

@Feathered_IV One can only hope that it will have everything FSX\P3D has but with that new graphics engine and better flight models out of the Box!  Just a video teaser w/o any details is just as unprofessional as it was when they did that for Microsoft Flight! It does not exude anything serious. Just my two cents plus tax 😃.

Posted (edited)

What software engine are they using for this? If it has anything to do at all with being able to run on a console system then of course it will be arcade, not sim. But in so far as PC’s go...

The problem with civilian flight sims has, is, and SO FAR  always will be trying to get coding that is literally decades old to perform with the hottest hardware and software gains. It just doesn’t work, and FSX proves that. P3D was just an attempt to dress up the old pig with new clothes by LM but in the end there is only so much you can do with outdated (aka complex) coding methods. Horrid frame rates of course, is one of the more notable items which is why I dropped both FSX and XPlane (although  FSX was the worst of the two). There’s no excuse why today’s hardware shouldn’t be able to run a flight sim smoothly. “Well, it’s a FLIGHT sim.” BS...no, “It’s outdated coding” should be the reply.

I’l believe when the reviews are stacked in favor of running it in all its glory - and with perfectly acceptable frame rates - not a slide show, especially  from  someone who dropped us into the middle of a half-baked FSX.

I'm done ranting. Let the flaming begin.

Edited by BornToBattle

@BornToBattle Yes FSX was a real pig of framerates. P3D ran very smooth on my GTX 970 with i7 kabylake, and 16 GB of ram but still gave it up in favour of X-Plane and now with Vulcan it will only gets better. 

Posted (edited)

Well, yeah, that’s true they did in fact unload the old coding. I guess one tends to get rather pessimistic over time of seeing what looks to be something really cutting edge and promising only to have to deal with having something run smooth and all sliders to the left in order to do so.

I too will definitely be a hold out on this one until Microsoft redeems itself. I think the most fun I had flying civilIan stuff was with MSFS 8. Loved flying in AK with all my scenery add-one.  After 8 it seemed like it really began to show its age with the coding complexity and overlays upon overlays.

The final straw for me with MSFS came when I realized I was spending more time hunting down add-on conflicts in order to get it to look right than actually flying in the sim.

42 minutes ago, 336th_Cavok said:

@BornToBattle Yes FSX was a real pig of framerates. P3D ran very smooth on my GTX 970 with i7 kabylake, and 16 GB of ram but still gave it up in favour of X-Plane and now with Vulcan it will only gets better. 

Oh how I hope so. As much as I love flying in wartime, there are times I miss flying in present day real world weather and traffic. I always wanted to try to plan out a around the world trip and keep a journal of my exploits but alas, it has yet to happen. XPlane 11 is the closest I’ve come but have been waiting and waiting for a third party publisher to put out  really good weather generator and real time traffic program (aka ActiveSky or such) but after all this time has yet to happen. 

Maybe this will be the golden ticket we’ve all been waiting for. Time will tell.

...and PLEASE tell us that you’re thinking a bit outside the box and bringing it in as native VR compatible! Now THAT would be the icing on this new cake.

Coming for Xbox and PC?

Ugh.

May look pretty,  but I’m thinking you can toss out the word “sim” and interject “arcade” into the flight model then. No way a 7 year old $400 console can run what a new $4,000 gaming rig is capable of, which tells me how dummied down it will be in order to run on the console. Ah, Microsoft. I know, I know, wait until it’s released. But once again the link to being game console compatible makes me do the eye roll on Microsoft once yet again.

Edited by BornToBattle