FlyingNutcase

Help! Port forwarding for Co-ops

hi Folks,

A friend and I have been trying to connect via in-game Cooperative. The mission we're testing on seems okay - it works for me testing it on my own in a Cooperative server. But when my buddy tries to connect he gets a frozen screen. The same thing happened when he created a server and I tried to connect. The test mission is in the Rotation and it shows up when the connection starts, but then the screen just freezes.

So we've come to the conclusion that we need to do some port forwarding with the understanding that both 28000 & 280100 need to be open, both TCP and UDP. So the question arises now of how to do that. I've logged into my router, followed the instructions up to the stage in the image below. So what do I need to do for External and Internal ports? Do I need my buddies IP address?

router.JPG.2d453894f27e4032dbdab01ac25d5218.JPG

Thanks chaps, very much looking forward to some co-op action.

Posted (edited)

A - D should all be 28000, and E - H 28100.

Server IP Address should be set to the address of the (local) computer that you're using to create the coop.

If it still doesn't work, don't give up. There are many weird things that might need reconfiguring with particular router models or Windows firewall configurations.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if part of the issue is your host computer using a dynamic IP address? It appears that most computers get assigned a dynamic IP address that can get changed each time you connect. When you set up port forwarding, and add your device, it picks up the IP address currently in use on your device, if the IP address gets changed then port forwarding fails as it still has the old IP address. Setting up a static IP address is supposed to remedy that problem.

I just starting to look into hosting a coop mission and found the above info while researching port forwarding. It may not matter at all, for all I know, but it does make sense.

See I still don’t know why this is the way it is for IL2...  other games you don’t need to open ports, you just set up the mission and go, buddies can join.

i can’t access my router so I’ve no way to change these settings, frustrating. 

Why does il2 require this, but games like dcs or arma don’t?

On 6/15/2019 at 1:40 AM, No_85_Gramps said:

I wonder if part of the issue is your host computer using a dynamic IP address? It appears that most computers get assigned a dynamic IP address that can get changed each time you connect. When you set up port forwarding, and add your device, it picks up the IP address currently in use on your device, if the IP address gets changed then port forwarding fails as it still has the old IP address. Setting up a static IP address is supposed to remedy that problem.

I just starting to look into hosting a coop mission and found the above info while researching port forwarding. It may not matter at all, for all I know, but it does make sense.

My buddy and I have got through the connection issue (cheers chaps) by following the info here although we did indeed come up against the change of IP address issue but all good with a change to router settings. Now a new issue with no being able to see each other's planes but I'll make a separate thread for that.

• Like 1