Georgio

So week one of Multiplayer...

...are we all happy campers, I know I am  :biggrin:

Once the servers had been cut to 25 everything smoothed right out and for the first time in years I was really enjoying MP online at full real.

The only problem I had and it's an annoying one for me was trying to identify friend from foe; more than once I clocked a plane on my tail, managed to get the drop on them only to find out they were friendly.

Also once I saw a plane attacking an IL-2 that was heading away from the field, so I attacked then saw it was a LaGG.

The problem is that you're caught in a quandry, if you take the time to get in close and verify an identity, then invariably some other enemy is on your six and you're in the sticky stuff.

I know it 'should' be easy to see i.e. square wing tips to round, yellow nose etc. but for the life of me even at 2550x1950 resolution I can't easily distinguish between planes.

For all that I wouldn't want to change a thing as I want this to be as difficult and realistic as possible and doubtless this was a major issue in real life so it needs to stay, I just need to improve my spotting skills... ;)

So, big, big apologies for any friendly Russians I might have shot up over the weekend, I know I only actually shot down two LaGGs but I probably put a short burst into another three or four until I realised they were friendly.

I am a very happy camper. I really enjoyed the LaGG-3 in multiplayer. Even though I was using the LaGG-3 with full fuel, she managed to hold her own in many dogfights. I got the feeling that a cohesive LaGG-3 two ship could really do ok in multiplayer, though I did not really get to put my hunch to the test, yet. I am really looking forward to the Yak. I think that the Yak will be a great match for the Bf-109 in multiplayer.

I did have some technical issues. On expert servers I would tend to get teleporting, screen freezes, and sometimes I would get dropped to desktop. This was a shame, because I really liked that there were clouds on the Expert servers. For the most part, I did not have problems with the Expert light servers, though I missed  the clouds.

I too shot down my first friendly last night. I bounced several Bf-109s and then came upon what I thought would be my third victim. I raced in, shot, and just after firing I noticed that the last Bf-109 looked different from the first two...oops. I thought I had the recognition thing worked out, but I need to second guess what I think is before my guns, before I pull the trigger.

:salute: MJ

Edited by =69.GIAP=MIKHA

So far I'm a happy camper I only got a few hours to play this weekend but it was smooth, no screen freezes or warping. I couldn't tell who was who until I got close enough to zoom in full to make out the shape of the plane. Even then I had to be real careful getting on the 6 of what I thought was a Lagg, The shape looked very strange as I got closer I found out it was one of the SYN guys flying inverted over the airfield! :lol: Took a few shots (after he rolled back over ) as I flew by I don't think I hit anything but it was fun anyway.

I could not find anywhere that would give you a list of who is online. ROF is win key+ tab. The stat from the esc key just said loading never did change.

Edited by Blackwolf
  • Upvote 1

I also tried to find a command to see pilots flying at same server (in IL2 it was S command).

Another thing I noticed that when the mission ended everything just stopped.

In IL2 missions using Server Commander there was some kind of countdown which warned pilots that time was running out.

Messages like "mission ending after 30 seconds", "mission ending after 20 seconds" were shown to pilots.

I think something similar would be a nice feature.

I noticed that when the mission started and my bf-109 was not moving yet, the display showed it had speed 7km/h.

Edited by ph1317

Very, very fun.  Of course there are rough edges but that is to be expected.  I flew in the "assisted" servers as well as the expert.  I found the ability to spot planes at distance to be good.  Beautiful graphics but we knew that.  Other squad mates were very impressed with mp as well.  Jason and everyone at 1CGS can be very proud of their product.  You are re-setting the bar on WWII flight sims.

My first flight was in a LaGG.  I started at the expert server airstart.  Climbed to about 6000m.  Sure enough, after a little time, when I checked my left rear, off in the distance was a bogey.  It just put a grin on my face.

This has probably already been mentioned elsewhere but the biggest game issue I had was when I got low over the German airfield.  Wow, total slideshow (~1 fps).  It was the only time I have had this happen and it was consistent.  Offline is not an issue.  I was able to fly through it in an IL2 and after I got a certain distance from the airfield, normal fps returned.  Definitely a proximity thing.

One other thing I noticed was that the text indicated that I had fired on a friendly when in fact I never even fired my guns but had stalled and crashed.  It must count me killing myself.

The thing one has to shake their head over is the quick return of bad mp behavior.  I was flying a 109 and spotted a friendly 109 shooting at a 109 so I tailed him as he proceeded to shoot down one 109 after another.  Even though I was third in line, I could make out the crosses on the wings of the first 109.  Other squad mates also reported friendly fire.  I will never understand this.  I had a friendly LaGG pepper my canopy in a merge but this was good'ol mistaken ID and can happen under the best of circumstances.

A map with a second airfield away from the front for spawning and landing would be nice but I imagine that the Stalingrad map will be available relatively soon.  Although probably a low priority , another idea I had was having a server with no weapons for squad mates to practice flying.  It is a joy just to fly these birds, never mind the combat.

Cheers!

Edited by VR-Stick

I've experienced some connection issues that prevented me from playing online until this afternoon, but now I've been able to play a couple of hours, and initial impressions are good.

Of course both the fighting and the overall tactical behavior of ppl is still very basic furball stuff, but still enjoyable.

I mostly flew LaGG with short stints with the IL-2. Predictably the German pilots are having a field day, but they are by no means invincible. Didn't take more than 2 flights for me to surprise my first 109 and take him down. Still didn't come anywhere near a K/D ratio above 1. Propably died or bailed 10 - 12 times and shot down something like 3 - 4 plus a couple shared.

Performance seems smooth, and there were few glitches, if any.

I think its got massive potential. Can't wait for the final version. For now I'm trying to limit my gameplay so I don't get tired of the game before actual release hehehe.

Good to see that everyone's experiences are positive, Jason and the team must be more than happy that they've amassed enough data to optimise MP. Hopefully for final release we get something like 64 in a server so that squads have a decent chance of getting enough people together.

I'd like to know how Planetside 2 manage to get literally hundreds of players online together with very little issue, that would be awesome in BoS.

Did a couple of sorties right now, performance was a bit better but I still suffer from stutters when approaching an enemy.

That spoiled the few nice bounces I made in the LaGG and causing me to ram one of my opponents when the game froze as I started firing...quite difficult to aim properly for now.

Still had quite some fun, can't wait to fly cooperatively in a proper mission with objectives :)

worked great on my end...mine didn't do too bad when the servers could hold a lot of ppl. was a lil laggy but i could still fly it. you sure could see everyone else around you crashing and stuff though. lol i even set back and took a hit so i could watch the havoc as everyone crashed into each other on take off. when they took the numbers lower mine ran smooth as butter. you saw the other planes sometimes lag jump but it was a lot of fun. i got to shoot down quite a few planes with both fighters. i got shot down a bunch but hell i haven't played WW2 game for the best part of 10 yrs so i think i did pretty well. 

had fun can't wait till the next one....

:salute:

The two evenings where I could play, I had an ansolute blast! :)

Fun sorties with the 109 and even some success with the LaGG.

Performance was very smooth for me, I hardly experienced any warping or the like.

It's even great just to spectate over the battle area and seeing (and hearing!) the aircraft dance around, shooting at each other and once in a while one would go down with thick black smoke...gorgeous.

Can't wait for next week.

Unfortunately I had connection issues and wasn't really able to play online at all :huh: Only two short flights (at the first time I was attacked or rammed just after taking off, that cost me 1/3 of right wing and aileron -> bailed out.) Other flight ended before seeing any other planes with lost connection. Most of the time I couldn't connect to servers at all. Well, hopefully nest week is better, atleast I should have more stable connection then.

Edited by 13./JG51mprhead

I only played the Expert servers and for the most part, after backed down they were smooth.  Interestingly, my ping (from the east coast USA) was almost the same for the US servers and EU which leads me to believe they are in California or quite a distance from me.  At any rate, while a little rough round the edges to be expected, things went well enough. I too had a problem with ID of contacts and could not without zoom or getting quite close.  It was an obvious slug fest on the small map and good fun.

I noticed last night the servers were still up but almost all were 1/25. I joined the US Expert server, flew around for awhile, landed and left. I didn't have a chance to ask about it, but thought it odd no one was flying.

Glad they are going to stay up!

I tried MP friday late night when I returned back from pub,so I had advantage of alcohol injection into my klimov engine :ph34r:  Full real servers were really full,I could not get there and only managed to join server with all those "helpers" which I hate. It was standard furball at treetop level with "radar" indicators who is who but nevertheless I managed to put my Shvak at few messers and also got punched by them several times.Rest of the weekend I dedicated for other non-flying activities.I think I will just wait a bit longer to join MP again.It needs bigger Stalingrad map and some nicely built missons to disperse all those bloodthirsty figterpilots in larger area.

Meanwhile looking forward for peshka :salute:

I looked at spectate mode a couple of times, but couldn't figure out how to control the camera.

If I recall right free camera isn't in yet, but you can choose a player by pressing LCtrl+F2 and then look around with mouse.

Multiplayer is fantastic.

And I had similar challenges spotting. The lagg and 109 show similar appearances at certain angles. The yak will be much easier to tell apart with the fine taper to the wings.

It makes you appreciate why the air forces flew in pairs, groups and squads. One man alone is a liability. A two man team is an asset.

If I recall right free camera isn't in yet, but you can choose a player by pressing LCtrl+F2 and then look around with mouse.

And note this will only work in Normal mode, in Expert the restriction to cockpit mode translates to spectator for some reason, so it's not useable currently.

I think we have the best WWII sim out there right now I know things will get more exiting later but could we have the big Stalingrad map to choose from to have some more interesting missions.

Flew the US expert server last night GMT +10 when it was empty. Managed to locate a few scattered German vehicles and attacked with the Sturmy. Suddenly found myself engaged by a 109. Can't tell if a human had joined without me noticing, or if AI aircraft are included in missions.

Had fun, little lags, quite good for first release.

Flew the US expert server last night GMT +10 when it was empty. Managed to locate a few scattered German vehicles and attacked with the Sturmy. Suddenly found myself engaged by a 109. Can't tell if a human had joined without me noticing, or if AI aircraft are included in missions.

I've been alone on a server, where I didn't notice other people join and was jumped. I think it's just easy to miss the notification.

It's usually easy to tell AI from human flown planes, especially the 109 with its stability issues.

Thank you!  I will try that.

More thoughts on week 1.

(a) My deflection shooting is crap - probably due to spending too much time in RoF, where you aim three feet in front of the propeller. 

(b) I'm going to have to work on aircraft identification.

© I need to learn CEM properly - I've put off using it up to now, as my tired old brain has enough trouble flying an out of trim LaGG without having to think about the engine as well.

(d) We are going to need better multiplayer missions, on the Stalingrad map - a furball vulch-fest is fine for a week or two, but it will get boring if it goes on too long.

(e) I wanna Yak!

(f) I wanna Peshka!

(g) I wanna trim!

More thoughts on week 1.

(a) My deflection shooting is crap - probably due to spending too much time in RoF, where you aim three feet in front of the propeller. 

(b) I'm going to have to work on aircraft identification.

© I need to learn CEM properly - I've put off using it up to now, as my tired old brain has enough trouble flying an out of trim LaGG without having to think about the engine as well.

(d) We are going to need better multiplayer missions, on the Stalingrad map - a furball vulch-fest is fine for a week or two, but it will get boring if it goes on too long.

(e) I wanna Yak!

(f) I wanna Peshka!

(g) I wanna trim!

All of these apply to me as well, though I must admit that certainly for the LaGG I find CEM very easy.

Probably doing it all wrong but i find that full throttle and varying the rpm on the prop pitch with oil/water rads either half or full open works just fine for me.

I never touch the throttle once airborne and just keep half an eye on the temps to adjust the radiators.

All of these apply to me as well, though I must admit that certainly for the LaGG I find CEM very easy.

Probably doing it all wrong but i find that full throttle and varying the rpm on the prop pitch with oil/water rads either half or full open works just fine for me.

I never touch the throttle once airborne and just keep half an eye on the temps to adjust the radiators.

Are the oil rads on the Lagg working?

Are the oil rads on the Lagg working?

Pass, the lever moves; I have both oil & water together on one of my warthog axis and the engine keeps nice and cool if I have the rads open.

When I just had the water rad on that axis the engine ran hotter, so it must be doing something good...^^

Pass, the lever moves; I have both oil & water together on one of my warthog axis and the engine keeps nice and cool if I have the rads open.

When I just had the water rad on that axis the engine ran hotter, so it must be doing something good...^^

Hmm, ok I will check it again next time I get a chance to fly.

Thanks,

Tonight, I was really liking multiplayer and the LaGG-3 more and more. My only issue in multiplayer is that I get teleporting planes many times and that can be a pain. Still, when I am not experiencing teleporting, multiplayer is very fun.  :salute: MJ

Im not bothering with BoS anymore. Total waste of time and money.

Care to elaborate a little before you leave us Charlie?

I mean as a member of EAF I'm sure you can at least enlighten us as to why you think that way; I used to be a member many, many years ago when our only decent WW2 sim was EAW and the members then would have sold their grannies to have an upcoming sim like BoS on the horizon?

Tonight, I was really liking multiplayer and the LaGG-3 more and more. My only issue in multiplayer is that I get teleporting planes many times and that can be a pain. Still, when I am not experiencing teleporting, multiplayer is very fun.  :salute: MJ

I find the LaGG fine for MP, ok if a high energy 109 finds you generally you're toast, but if you can sneak into that furball and get the drop on them first, then they're toast which I'd imagine was pretty much historical.

Bringing the Yak to the table will help, but as the axis get an upgrade as well then the balance will shift back again; it's like we're fighting at Stalingrad but in realtime....^^

I find the LaGG fine for MP, ok if a high energy 109 finds you generally you're toast, but if you can sneak into that furball and get the drop on them first, then they're toast which I'd imagine was pretty much historical.

Bringing the Yak to the table will help, but as the axis get an upgrade as well then the balance will shift back again; it's like we're fighting at Stalingrad but in realtime....^^

The LaGG-3 is pretty neat-o. While the LaGG-3 may be outclassed, but I think that this is one of the virtues of the LaGG-3 in multiplayer. I think the LaGG-3 is a good prerequisite for potential future planes, like the P- 40 or IAR- 80. While the Yak-1 may prove to be a more competitive ride relative to the Bf-109s. Still, it may be best for me to train hard now in multiplayer, so that in a few years I will have all the skills that will allow me to excel in a really great performing ride or a crap ride. I may stick with the LaGG-3 or at least split my time between the LaGG-3 and the Yak-1, so, when and if we get a P-40 or a future map with a Mig-3, I can simfly the P-40 or the Mig-3 and hold my own in multiplayer. :salute: MJ

Edited by =69.GIAP=MIKHA